inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bands/groups that sound the same

Written By: SpaceHog on 08/14/21 at 8:30 pm

We've all had that moment where we've heard a particular song and swear that it's by Group A, but it's actually by Group B.

A few come to mind:

1. Climie Fisher. They sound like Rod Stewart

2. Bardeux. Having just listened to their first album in its entirety, I can say that they sound like Stacey Q/SSQ. There's a reason: Jon St. James produced and wrote the music for Stacey Q/SSQ.

3. Camouflage, Cause and Effect, and Red Flag: have been called "Depeche Clones" because they are stylistically similar.

Subject: Re: Bands/groups that sound the same

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/14/21 at 8:55 pm

We've all had that moment where we've heard a particular song and swear that it's by Group A, but it's actually by Group B.

A few come to mind:

2. Bardeux. Having just listened to their first album in its entirety, I can say that they sound like Stacey Q/SSQ. There's a reason: Jon St. James produced and wrote the music for Stacey Q/SSQ.

3. Camouflage, Cause and Effect, and Red Flag: have been called "Depeche Clones" because they are stylistically similar.

Except for Rod Stewart and Depeche Mode, I don't recognize a single one of those names you mention.

But anyway, there was a one hit wonder band called Spiral Staircase that had a big hit in 1969 that went "I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow" that for a while I thought was Stevie Wonder. Stevie Wonder is better, of course.

And speaking of Rod Stewart, when Bonnie Tyler had that hit "It's A Heartache" in 1977, people used to say it sounded like Rod Stewart. (He even covered it years later as kind of a tongue-in-cheek joke). So that one even crosses genders. What a very current concept.  :D

Written By: nally on 08/14/21 at 11:08 pm

And speaking of Rod Stewart, when Bonnie Tyler had that hit "It's A Heartache" in 1977, people used to say it sounded like Rod Stewart. (He even covered it years later as kind of a tongue-in-cheek joke). So that one even crosses genders. What a very current concept.  :D

Oh yes...since they both had that raspy vocal style.

15+ years ago, when James Blunt climbed the charts with his hit single "You're Beautiful", I thought he sounded a lot like Rod Stewart!

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/15/21 at 12:32 am

Oh yes...since they both had that raspy vocal style.

15+ years ago, when James Blunt climbed the charts with his hit single "You're Beautiful", I thought he sounded a lot like Rod Stewart!

^ Beat me to it.

Savage Garden’s “I Want You” sounds a lot like Roxette.

Lido Shuffle by Boz Scaggs, and Take Me To Church by Hosier sound like Elton John.

Kids In America by Kim Wilde sounds like the Go Go’s.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/21 at 7:11 am

The Osmonds sound like The Jacksons as well as Five Star and New Edition too.

Written By: Contigo on 08/15/21 at 9:02 am

Joey Gregorash - Jodie
Sounds like CCR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-2EtsQEHUs

The Knickerbockers - Lies
Sound like the Beatles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4FsMlzPwT8

Written By: nally on 08/15/21 at 11:39 am

The Knickerbockers - Lies
Sound like the Beatles

Totally! :D O0

Of course the Knickerbockers ended up being a one hit wonder.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 12:04 pm

New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint singing his composition "Southern Nights". I think this sounds a LOT like John Lennon, particularly the "Walls & Bridges" era Lennon. Do you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCscZ2tPFmI

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 12:25 pm

Stealer's Wheel
"Stuck In The Middle With You"

Very specifically designed to sound like Bob Dylan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln7Vn_WKkWU

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/21 at 12:41 pm

A few come to mind:

I was a kid when Love Changes Everything by Climie Fisher was popular, and my mom used to think it was a Rod Stewart song
When I first heard The Great Commandment by Camouflage, I thought was it a Depeche Mode song I somehow missed? lol

Joey Gregorash - Jodie
Sounds like CCR

100% yes.  Joey Gregorash is such a great singer

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/21 at 12:48 pm

Here is Don't Stop, a 1983 hit for Chilliwack.  This song was on the radio all the time and I used to think it was a Hall and Oates song 

FIfg7c5CPEE

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/15/21 at 1:34 pm

GgIsyoxZ7Uw

John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Sounds like Bob Seger or Bruce Springsteen.

Written By: karen on 08/15/21 at 1:43 pm

I think some of you need to listen more British accents. Neither James Blunt nor Hosier sound anything like Elton John.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/15/21 at 2:04 pm

Pearl Jam

Creed
Stone Temple Pilots
Seven Mary Three
Silverchair

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 2:31 pm

I think some of you need to listen more British accents. Neither James Blunt nor Hosier sound anything like Elton John.

I never thought James Blunt sounded like Rod Stewart either. I'm not sure where people are getting that.

Written By: nally on 08/15/21 at 2:32 pm

Pearl Jam

Creed

Yeah, Eddie Vedder and Scott Stapp seemed to have similar-sounding voices. (I sorta thought that in 1999, when Creed's song "Higher" started climbing the charts.)

Speaking of which...

Lifehouse (a band that debuted in the early 2000s with "Hanging By A Moment"), I used to think sounded like Nirvana...in terms of musical style and vocal style.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/21 at 3:32 pm

Except for Rod Stewart and Depeche Mode, I don't recognize a single one of those names you mention.

But anyway, there was a one hit wonder band called Spiral Staircase that had a big hit in 1969 that went "I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow" that for a while I thought was Stevie Wonder. Stevie Wonder is better, of course.

If memory serves me, I seem to remember a member of Spiral Staircase making an appearance on this board. He only posted a couple time and then disappeared. It would take a lot of digging to try to find the post.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 4:25 pm

If memory serves me, I seem to remember a member of Spiral Staircase making an appearance on this board. He only posted a couple time and then disappeared. It would take a lot of digging to try to find the post.

Cat

Probably just as well, since I said Stevie Wonder was better.  :o  That's still fascinating, though.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 6:04 pm

The Bee Gees sound JUST like The Band on this one from their classic 1969 "Odessa" album. Again, I'm sure it was intentional.

Bee Gees
"Marley Purt Drive"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqtzloiPxZE

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 6:07 pm

Yeah, Eddie Vedder and Scott Stapp seemed to have similar-sounding voices. (I sorta thought that in 1999, when Creed's song "Higher" started climbing the charts.)

Speaking of which...

Lifehouse (a band that debuted in the early 2000s with "Hanging By A Moment"), I used to think sounded like Nirvana...in terms of musical style and vocal style.

Ted explains how all 90s bands sound alike and why.  ;D  ;D  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8FIUGLgDM

Written By: Contigo on 08/15/21 at 6:15 pm

Greta Van Fleet 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbT5jSxGJ0
Sound a bit like Led Zeppelin

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 6:25 pm

Greta Van Fleet 

Sound a bit like Led Zeppelin

I like Greta Van Fleet. But it often seems like they are like little kids playing dress up with a trunk of old clothes and records from the 70s they found in their grandparent's attic. It's one think to embody that aesthetic (i.e. Led Zeppelin, Faces, Stones) and another to imitate it, having not been there the first time around. But still, in this day and age, I'll take what I can get.

Written By: Contigo on 08/15/21 at 6:32 pm

The best Rod Stewart song that Rod Stewart never sang.  ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEioRXSgdsk

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/21 at 7:02 pm

Speaking of Rod Stewart, in 1969, he recorded a song called Handbags and Gladrags that was initially a flop, but when re-released as a single in 1972, it peaked at #42 in the US and #25 in Canada.  While it was not originally his song, and not released as a single in his native UK, it remained the best known version until 2001, when the Welsh rock band Stereophonics took it to #4 in the UK. 

I think their lead singer Kelly Jones sounds a bit like Rod on this song and if I hadn't been familiar with their version from the get go, I might have had to do a double take and question, is that Rod singing?

pyD3K7yhTFw 51GuG6N2qHE

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/15/21 at 7:42 pm

Speaking of Rod Stewart, in 1969, he recorded a song called Handbags and Gladrags that was initially a flop, but when re-released as a single in 1972, it peaked at #42 in the US and #25 in Canada.  While it was not originally his song, and not released as a single in his native UK, it remained the best known version until 2001, when the Welsh rock band Stereophonics took it to #4 in the UK. 

I think their lead singer Kelly Jones sounds a bit like Rod on this song and if I hadn't been familiar with their version from the get go, I might have had to do a double take and question, is that Rod singing?

Yes, Kelly Jones is quite Rod-influenced on this song. I have a version by Mike d'Abo, who wrote the song. It's quite good and quite different than Rod's (or subsequent Rod-influenced versions). In fact, in his autobiography, Stewart says that d'Abo disagreed with him about the way he (Rod) phrased the song. Rod said that's the way that felt natural to him. But if you listen to d'Abo's version, the phrasing makes more sense rhythmically. No "poor old grandad", which never quite fit into the structure of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApIMvj3xLvM

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/19/21 at 10:36 am

When the band America burst on the scene in early 1972 with "Horse With No Name" it was widely said that they sounded just like Neil Young, and they received much criticism for it. They were even represented by Neil Young's manager for a time, and Neil was mad about this. He said "why do you want them when you've already got the real one?".  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/19/21 at 11:45 am

Speaking of America, I remember reading in a rock magazine back when when "Horse With No Name" was a big hit that a radio station ran a contest to come up with a name for the horse. To publicize it they played the song every half hour for days. The winning name? "Stop Playing This Damn Song".  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/21 at 11:54 pm

Nickelback and Lighthouse, not exactly the same, but you get my drift!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/21 at 9:22 pm

i am sure a few will agree with me, as when this song came out in 1994, I thought it was UB40

Big Mountain - Baby I Love Your Way
5dB4TThG9zw

Written By: nally on 08/31/21 at 10:02 pm

Nickelback and Lighthouse, not exactly the same, but you get my drift!  :D

I thought Lifehouse sounded similar to Nickelback. Both bands have that alternative, post-grunge style. And they both debuted in the early 2000s.

Written By: nally on 08/31/21 at 10:03 pm

i am sure a few will agree with me, as when this song came out in 1994, I thought it was UB40

Big Mountain - Baby I Love Your Way

Oh yes, I thought the exact same thing!

Check for new replies or respond here...