inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What time period are you most nostalgic for?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/24/21 at 6:28 pm

I was born in Y2K and find myself most nostalgic for the early 10s with some nostalgia for the mid-late 00s and a spark of nostalgia here and there for certain aspects of the mid 10s(I hated that period overall though). fu** the late 10s, I will never EVER be nostalgic for that time period.

Subject: Re: What time period are you most nostalgic for?

Written By: Contigo on 08/24/21 at 7:23 pm

The 1960s, the 1970s, a little bit of the early 1980s.
Most of the TV shows haven't interested me since then, certainly almost none of the music has.  I could watch an award show today and not recognize anyone at all.

I won't ever have any nostalgia for anything in the 90s or afterwards. Music was great in the 60s and 70s, some of the 80s too, then music just seem to die in the late 80s,its been 30+ years, and I've been waiting for it to come back.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/24/21 at 7:40 pm

I will always be nostalgic for the 2000s(except 2004). I was young(in my 20s). I worked two really great jobs back then! My antics were amazing lol. And I have some very fond memories fun times for me! I am also nostalgic for the 1980s and 1990s. Those were my times, my two decades growing up, coming of age. And they were the best years! Fun times forever!  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/21 at 7:47 pm

1960s & 1970s, the Golden Age of great music. Great movies of the "New Hollywood" era as well. Minds were open, people were searching. Spiritual seekers abounded, and it clearly showed in the arts. 

Musician Mike Scott of the excellent band The Waterboys once wrote a piece about it which I excerpt below. The only thing I disagree with is Scott's timeline. I say this "spiritual" era of popular music stretched at least into 1973.

"I know it seems hard to believe, but there was a time in pop music when spirituality was sharply fashionable. The period ran roughly from the release and global TV broadcast of The Beatles' All You Need Is Love in June 1967 to the five weeks spent at number one by George Harrison's My Sweet Lord in early 1971. These two records effectively bookended an era where to spiritually enquire was a serious and crucial part of being a participant in pop and rock'n'roll music.

This was the era when the counter culture was established, when individuals explored eastern mysticism and western mysteries alike, when the holistic musical Hair broke records on Broadway, when the Beatles went to stay in the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram – sparking international interest in meditation - and when the musical articulation of universal love became so all-pervading it even trickled down into even the most hack conveyor-belt areas of pop.

That many of the musicians of the time managed to make records with a potent spiritual charge shouldn't be surprising. Artists like The Beatles, Pete Townshend and Donovan were authentic seekers. And in the atmosphere their efforts wrought, ethnically spiritual records by gospel, Indian and African musicians managed to be hits too.

Those were powerful times; spiritually potent records like Oh Happy Day, Ain’t Got No/I Got Life and Instant Karma were played on national radio – which, in those pre-choice days the whole country listened to - every couple of hours. These were records that could change people, affecting not just our emotions but our consciousness. These and numerous other holistic singles seasoned the airwaves and, for a sweet season or two, sent a collection of radical ideas about compassion, unconditional love and the sacredness and interconnectedness of all life into the minds of a not-yet irredeemably cynical public. This was a wonderful thing.

There had been spiritual records on the charts before 1967 and would be again after 1971, of course. I've even made a few myself. But never did they hit in such numbers or with such a sense of being part of a prevailing mood or movement."

Written By: Howard on 08/25/21 at 4:24 am

I'm more nostalgic for The 1980's cause that's the time I grew up watching a lot of the family sitcoms.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/25/21 at 11:21 am

The 80s because I was born in the middle of it and didn't get to really enjoy any of it as it happened.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/21 at 3:57 pm

I find it is the missing of people, family and close friends, I get 'nostalgic' for, and consider this not a time period.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/28/21 at 4:11 pm

For "life period" (as opposed to pop culture), I'll say the 1990s, at least a candidate.  Although I disliked the pop culture of that time, I enjoyed a fantastic life then.  (Social life, career, financial situation, "adult-ness", health, relationships were all going strong.)

If the question is what time I am nostalgic for pop-culture wise, it's definitely the early/mid-1970s.  (The runners up being (1) mid/late 60s, then (2) late 70s to early 80s.)  By far my favorite pop culture occurred between 1964 and 1984 with a general preference for 1964-1975.

I picked the 90s for "life period" because I've enjoyed life better as an adult than I did as a teenager, and being 30-something rocked.  But the best pop culture to me was from the 1970s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/21 at 4:26 pm

For "life period" (as opposed to pop culture), I'll say the 1990s, at least a candidate.  Although I disliked the pop culture of that time, I enjoyed a fantastic life then.  (Social life, career, financial situation, "adult-ness", health, relationships were all going strong.)

If the question is what time I am nostalgic for pop-culture wise, it's definitely the early/mid-1970s.  (The runners up being (1) mid/late 60s, then (2) late 70s to early 80s.)  By far my favorite pop culture occurred between 1964 and 1984 with a general preference for 1964-1975.

I picked the 90s for "life period" because I've enjoyed life better as an adult than I did as a teenager, and being 30-something rocked.  But the best pop culture to me was from the 1970s.

The '90s was a transitional time for me-between the Dark Ages and Present Time. My first marriage had ended and I was embarking on a new adventure. I went back to school full time and I met the Love of My Life. Even though there were some days (and nights) that were VERY lonely, it was a time when I was healing and growing.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/21 at 7:45 pm

The '90s was a transitional time for me-between the Dark Ages and Present Time. My first marriage had ended and I was embarking on a new adventure. I went back to school full time and I met the Love of My Life. Even though there were some days (and nights) that were VERY lonely, it was a time when I was healing and growing.

Cat

Those periods of growth and waiting are VERY important. Even thought it may seem like nothing is happening and you feel like you exist almost in a vacuum, something new (and positive) always comes of them. In some metaphysical books I've seen a period like this referred to symbolically as a  "desert period", as in the Biblical example of wandering in the desert before finding the promised land.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/21 at 2:42 pm

Those periods of growth and waiting are VERY important. Even thought it may seem like nothing is happening and you feel like you exist almost in a vacuum, something new (and positive) always comes of them. In some metaphysical books I've seen a period like this referred to symbolically as a  "desert period", as in the Biblical example of wandering in the desert before finding the promised land.

Totally. It was during this time when I started keeping a journal. The first few entries were few and far between. Most of them I was pretty depressed and miserable. I started really writing more regularly when I started dating Carlos. There was a time when I was actually writing in it EVERY DAY!

I used an old "dinosaur" to write it with those BIG floppy disks (if you remember those.) A few years ago I found a place on-line that would transfer them to a file that I could read. So, I spent about 6 months reading 8 years of my life. (Some files didn't survive  :\'(  but the majority of it did.) As I read, I saw myself grow both as a person and as a writer. It really was remarkable to see that. I am VERY glad that I kept that journal.

I stopped keeping a journal around 1999. I started back up in 2013. I am very sorry that I didn't continue through that time. I'm sure I could find some old posts of mine on here during that time and piece it together to have as a journal.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/30/21 at 4:38 am

Totally. It was during this time when I started keeping a journal. The first few entries were few and far between. Most of them I was pretty depressed and miserable. I started really writing more regularly when I started dating Carlos. There was a time when I was actually writing in it EVERY DAY!

I used an old "dinosaur" to write it with those BIG floppy disks (if you remember those.) A few years ago I found a place on-line that would transfer them to a file that I could read. So, I spent about 6 months reading 8 years of my life. (Some files didn't survive  :\'(  but the majority of it did.) As I read, I saw myself grow both as a person and as a writer. It really was remarkable to see that. I am VERY glad that I kept that journal.

I stopped keeping a journal around 1999. I started back up in 2013. I am very sorry that I didn't continue through that time. I'm sure I could find some old posts of mine on here during that time and piece it together to have as a journal.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I still have my journal from 35 years ago, it's in my closet collecting dust.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/21 at 1:28 pm

I used an old "dinosaur" to write it with those BIG floppy disks (if you remember those.) A few years ago I found a place on-line that would transfer them to a file that I could read. So, I spent about 6 months reading 8 years of my life. (Some files didn't survive  :\'(  but the majority of it did.) 
Cat

I remember those old, big floppy discs. they reminded me of 45 RPM records in a sleeve.

http://external-preview.redd.it/fiVwS4weCZVM8_pFiyD2sk1h26VmXLWJIgrZAv0SPVQ.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=2b672df6263f70f5d214284e0907d6c70c5c3053

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/21 at 2:18 pm

I remember those old, big floppy discs. they reminded me of 45 RPM records in a sleeve.

http://external-preview.redd.it/fiVwS4weCZVM8_pFiyD2sk1h26VmXLWJIgrZAv0SPVQ.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=2b672df6263f70f5d214284e0907d6c70c5c3053

That the HUGE ones. I worked with those when I did data entry. The ones I had were the middle size.

https://hackaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/retro-floppy-featured.jpg?w=800

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/30/21 at 2:38 pm

I absolutely recall the 5 inch floppy discs (the "middle size") - in the early days of computing they were everywhere.  When I began working at my company in 1986, it was common for secretaries (big company, many secretaries) to each have an IBM PC (or compatible) on their desk, the old pre-Windows 3.0 kind.  We techies laughed at their computing power, or lack thereof.  It was normal for these PCs to have one or two slots for 5 inch floppy discs, which would store both software programs and workproducts (documents/spreadsheets/etc.), as they had very minimal if any hard drive storage.  It wasn't unusual for secretaries to enlist the help of one of us techies whenever the "computer was acting up".  (For reference, our technical computing was done on a mid-sized networked suite of DEC VAX-11 computers, accessed via dumb terminals.  For that time they were spot on.  On the other hand my first boss had an Apple MacIntosh he brought to work with him - it was quite nice.)

Written By: violet_shy on 09/08/21 at 9:45 pm

1960s & 1970s, the Golden Age of great music. Great movies of the "New Hollywood" era as well. Minds were open, people were searching. Spiritual seekers abounded, and it clearly showed in the arts. 

Musician Mike Scott of the excellent band The Waterboys once wrote a piece about it which I excerpt below. The only thing I disagree with is Scott's timeline. I say this "spiritual" era of popular music stretched at least into 1973.

"I know it seems hard to believe, but there was a time in pop music when spirituality was sharply fashionable. The period ran roughly from the release and global TV broadcast of The Beatles' All You Need Is Love in June 1967 to the five weeks spent at number one by George Harrison's My Sweet Lord in early 1971. These two records effectively bookended an era where to spiritually enquire was a serious and crucial part of being a participant in pop and rock'n'roll music.

This was the era when the counter culture was established, when individuals explored eastern mysticism and western mysteries alike, when the holistic musical Hair broke records on Broadway, when the Beatles went to stay in the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram – sparking international interest in meditation - and when the musical articulation of universal love became so all-pervading it even trickled down into even the most hack conveyor-belt areas of pop.

That many of the musicians of the time managed to make records with a potent spiritual charge shouldn't be surprising. Artists like The Beatles, Pete Townshend and Donovan were authentic seekers. And in the atmosphere their efforts wrought, ethnically spiritual records by gospel, Indian and African musicians managed to be hits too.

Those were powerful times; spiritually potent records like Oh Happy Day, Ain’t Got No/I Got Life and Instant Karma were played on national radio – which, in those pre-choice days the whole country listened to - every couple of hours. These were records that could change people, affecting not just our emotions but our consciousness. These and numerous other holistic singles seasoned the airwaves and, for a sweet season or two, sent a collection of radical ideas about compassion, unconditional love and the sacredness and interconnectedness of all life into the minds of a not-yet irredeemably cynical public. This was a wonderful thing.

There had been spiritual records on the charts before 1967 and would be again after 1971, of course. I've even made a few myself. But never did they hit in such numbers or with such a sense of being part of a prevailing mood or movement."

Yes! I think it was spiritual even though I wasn't there. I can hear it in the music. Especially the music from the 70s. The 90s were more fun, upbeat, with a few ballad type songs and go crazy type of music. Lol. But yes, I would describe 70s music as more spiritual.

Written By: GenXStoner1984 on 11/27/21 at 1:23 am

1989-2003; my elementary and high school years in the '90s and early 2000's can't be beat!!

Written By: RLStern on 11/27/21 at 8:32 am

1997-2002

Written By: Contigo on 11/27/21 at 9:34 am

All that seemed to stop when the 80s came around and its never returned, has it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/27/21 at 9:58 am

All that seemed to stop when the 80s came around and its never returned, has it.

Nope, it never came back. It all stopped dead in 1981 when the cultural 80s started. The very point of the cultural 80s was a complete rejection of 60s and 70s values. I have said over and over here that we have never recovered from the 80s.

Written By: RLStern on 11/28/21 at 10:31 am

Nope, it never came back. It all stopped dead in 1981 when the cultural 80s started. The very point of the cultural 80s was a complete rejection of 60s and 70s values. I have said over and over here that we have never recovered from the 80s.

In what ways were the 60's and 70's values better than 80's and 90's?

Reagan era led to a bunch of prosperity in the U.S.A. as did the Clinton era, though Clinton should've tackled terrorism better.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 04/04/22 at 1:41 pm

2006 and 2007. Maybe 2008 as well.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/07/22 at 12:35 pm

Basically the entirety of the 2010s. I was born in 1989, so the 2010s were the decade of my 20s, which were a very good decade for me. I graduated from high school in 2007 and university in December 2012. My university graduation was delayed because I studied abroad in Japan in 2011-2012. Then, after graduating in December 2012, I was able to teach in Japan, my life dream until that point, from 2013 to 2018. After 2018, I honestly floundered a bit, studying abroad in Taiwan from September 2018 to June 2019 and then teaching in Korea afterward, but it wasn't until well into 2020 that it became clear to me that I was floundering, at which point the world was going to hell in a handbasket due to covid.

I turned 30 in 2019, and 2020 marked the perfect end to my 20s. From my perspective, the 2010s both feel so recent and yet so far away.

Check for new replies or respond here...