inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can a person be nostalgic for something they never experienced?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/21 at 1:07 pm

I notice people here often say they are "nostalgic" for a time they actually weren't yet born, or were too young to have a real conscious awareness of the culture. Such as  "I am nostalgic for the 80s because I was too young to experience it" or "I wasn't born in the 80s so I am nostalgic for it".

This is how the Oxford Dictionary defines nostalgia:

nos·tal·gia
/näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun
a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
Example: "I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"

So, can a person actually be "nostalgic" for something they never experienced? Wouldn't a feeling for the 80s, for example, be classified more as a historical interest rather than nostalgia, if one wasn't  alive in the 80s? Another illustration might be a person very interested in the Civil War. They may participate in re-enactments, collect memorabilia, costumes, etc. Are they "nostalgic" for the Civil War era or do they just have a keen historical interest, making it more of a hobby than nostalgia?

Also, can one pick and choose what to feel nostalgic about? I see a lot of specificness here such as  "I'm nostalgic for the period of early 2014, while so-and-so was still popular, before such-and-such took over". Can nostalgia be compartmentalized that way? If it's a wistful or sentimental  feeling I'm not sure it can be consciously directed. IT has to tell you when to be nostalgic, YOU can't tell it.

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Can a person be nostalgic for something they never experienced?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/25/21 at 3:03 pm

For instance, I was born in 1960.  The earliest pop culture things I experienced is stuff from the mid-1960s and later that I actually recall from then (the Beatles, Monkees, some Motown stuff, etc).  On the other hand, I have a fondness for some rock and roll from the late 1950s and early 1960s in which I have no memory (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc)  Is what you're saying is that the latter is not nostalgia?  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 08/25/21 at 3:21 pm

I would say maybe. But, how can they be nostalgic if they don't even remember anything?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/21 at 5:12 pm

For instance, I was born in 1960.  The earliest pop culture things I experienced is stuff from the mid-1960s and later that I actually recall from then (the Beatles, Monkees, some Motown stuff, etc).  On the other hand, I have a fondness for some rock and roll from the late 1950s and early 1960s in which I have no memory (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc)  Is what you're saying is that the latter is not nostalgia?  ???

Correct. It's exactly what you said it is. "A fondness for some rock and roll from the late 1950s and early 1960s". By definition, not every single historical thing that people are interested in is "nostalgia".

Written By: nally on 08/25/21 at 7:51 pm

Correct. It's exactly what you said it is. "A fondness for some rock and roll from the late 1950s and early 1960s". By definition, not every single historical thing that people are interested in is "nostalgia".

Agreed.

In fact, I have fondness for pop cultural things that were before my time...such as music, TV shows, and certain films.

Written By: Contigo on 08/26/21 at 6:02 pm

I do have historical interest for the 1930s and 1940s, as well as civil war time. But I cant say I have nostalgia for them as I wasnt alive for any of those. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/21 at 6:20 pm

As a historian, I would LOVE to have a magic mirror where I could see how things looked like in the past. I wouldn't want to go back but just want to SEE it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/27/21 at 4:30 am

As a historian, I would LOVE to have a magic mirror where I could see how things looked like in the past. I wouldn't want to go back but just want to SEE it.

Cat

I feel the very same way Cat, just looking to see how things were back then, taking a trip down memory lane.

Written By: philbo on 08/27/21 at 4:57 am

ISTM that not only can people be nostalgic for something that didn't happen to them, they can be nostalgic for something that didn't happen *at all* (see, for example, the Brexit vote, in many cases people who voted to leave were expressing a nostalgic desire to return to a time that never existed).

"Happy personal associations" aren't necessarily associations to things that one might have been a part of, just that someone might feel personally associated to them: it's the feeling that gives rise to the nostalgia, not the thing itself. If you see what I mean.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/27/21 at 9:12 am

ISTM that not only can people be nostalgic for something that didn't happen to them, they can be nostalgic for something that didn't happen *at all* (see, for example, the Brexit vote, in many cases people who voted to leave were expressing a nostalgic desire to return to a time that never existed).

"Happy personal associations" aren't necessarily associations to things that one might have been a part of, just that someone might feel personally associated to them: it's the feeling that gives rise to the nostalgia, not the thing itself. If you see what I mean.

This is a very interesting viewpoint. And I do indeed know that phenomenon of people hungering to bring back a certain past that never actually happened. Here in the US there has long been a faction of people longing to  bring back" a mythical "Leave It To Beaver" type version of the 1950s that never actually existed. It seems to have update itself here on this site with some  people yearning for a mythical 1980s that also never actually existed. Yet I question whether this is truly "nostalgia". It seems almost more like delusion or some kind of self-deceit.

Written By: philbo on 08/27/21 at 9:57 am

This is a very interesting viewpoint. And I do indeed know that phenomenon of people hungering to bring back a certain past that never actually happened. Here in the US there has long been a faction of people longing to  bring back" a mythical "Leave It To Beaver" type version of the 1950s that never actually existed. It seems to have update itself here on this site with some  people yearning for a mythical 1980s that also never actually existed. Yet I question whether this is truly "nostalgia". It seems almost more like delusion or some kind of self-deceit.

Pretty much always the feeling of nostalgia looks back at something with very rose-tinted spectacles: even if you were there, the memory you have will very likely be not of *exactly* what happened, more an idealized version of it.

..so I'm not sure that limiting the definition of "nostalgia" to personal feelings about something that happened in the first person in the past is actually valid :-) In that there is (in my experience) always at least a bit of delusion in there, so at what point do you say "it's not _really_ nostalgia, because that's not what actually happened"?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 09/08/21 at 4:25 pm

"I am nostalgic for "
is weird

" makes me feel nostalgic"
is fine, emotions don't make sense sometimes and it's honest about it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/08/21 at 4:42 pm

"I am nostalgic for "
is weird

" makes me feel nostalgic"
is fine, emotions don't make sense sometimes and it's honest about it.

But IS it "nostalgia" or is someone just calling it that? Is this (thing before your time) making you feel intense longing? On the other hand, if it's a feeling of being "left out" or "I wish I experienced that", or "things were so much cooler back then, I wish I wish I was alive then" it's not nostalgia. It's historical interest. And possibly a dissatisfaction with one's own time, but that is NOT the same thing as nostalgia.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 09/09/21 at 12:19 am

But IS it "nostalgia" or is someone just calling it that? Is this (thing before your time) making you feel intense longing? On the other hand, if it's a feeling of being "left out" or "I wish I experienced that", or "things were so much cooler back then, I wish I wish I was alive then" it's not nostalgia. It's historical interest. And possibly a dissatisfaction with one's own time, but that is NOT the same thing as nostalgia.

I agree, what you're describing is not nostalgia, but I was talking about  a general sense of nostalgia being triggered by older media. To me, that is still nostalgia because you aren't nostalgic for the era itself, you're longing (subconsciously) for times you have experienced, due to universal themes like "childhood" or "memory" being evoked.

People confuse this for "nostalgia for before I was born" but the distinction is important.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/09/21 at 1:06 am

I think people can totally be nostalgic for things that occurred before they were born. Case in point: When I was a kid growing up in the 1970's, my parents listened to an MOR/adult contemporary AM radio station that played pop songs from the 1950's to the 70's.

I especially liked the songs from the 1960's and even though they were made before I was born, they still bring back childhood memories of riding around with my mom and dad.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/09/21 at 7:17 am

I think people can totally be nostalgic for things that occurred before they were born. Case in point: When I was a kid growing up in the 1970's, my parents listened to an MOR/adult contemporary AM radio station that played pop songs from the 1950's to the 70's.

I especially liked the songs from the 1960's and even though they were made before I was born, they still bring back childhood memories of riding around with my mom and dad.

The water is getting a bit muddy here. The 60s songs may have indeed been made before you were born, but, in your case,  the time when the songs were made (the 1960s) is not what you are being nostalgic for. You are being nostalgic for the time you HEARD them (which is different than the time they were actually made), because hearing them invokes your OWN childhood memories. See the difference?  :)

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/13/21 at 8:34 am

In this instance, I consider that "pseudonostalgia", in that you're actually reminiscing about something you experienced earlier in your own life, but in reality, doesn't quite paint the overall experience of the era. Its the intersection of nostalgia, historical interest, and fiction (many late Baby Boomers/early Gen Xers have this with the 1950s/early '60s, as do many Millennials/some Gen Zers with the 1980s since their parents passed on "their generation" to them). Thankfully, recent media about the 1950s/60s are starting to view those decades in a more authentic light than the Greases, Back to the Futures, Wonder Years (although that's coming back again), and Happy Days did. They're just second/third/etc. generation fans of that era.

But for the most part, if you suddenly listen to that classic song/movie or experience a historical re-enactment, that's just historical interest. We just saw this over the weekend in America with Gen Z/Alpha and 9/11, even though it's hardly a "Rose-tinted" event.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/13/21 at 8:52 am

In this instance, I consider that "pseudonostalgia", in that you're actually reminiscing about something you experienced earlier in your own life, but in reality, doesn't quite paint the overall experience of the era. Its the intersection of nostalgia, historical interest, and fiction (many late Baby Boomers/early Gen Xers have this with the 1950s/early '60s, as do many Millennials/some Gen Zers with the 1980s since their parents passed on "their generation" to them). Thankfully, recent media about the 1950s/60s are starting to view those decades in a more authentic light than the Greases, Back to the Futures, Wonder Years (although that's coming back again), and Happy Days did. They're just second/third/etc. generation fans of that era.

But for the most part, if you suddenly listen to that classic song/movie or experience a historical re-enactment, that's just historical interest. We just saw this over the weekend in America with Gen Z/Alpha and 9/11, even though it's hardly a "Rose-tinted" event.

This is where the water gets muddy again. You are using the word "nostalgia" in the way is often see it used here, "the culture or pop culture of an era that is, in effect, available to anybody to feel 'nostalgic' about at any time, or at a scheduled time when it is 'trendy' to do so because it 'came back'". I would define THAT as the "pseudonostalgia" (a good term, by the way). There is no rule that says that what a person experiences as nostalgia that legitimately happened in their own lives HAS to be what was part of the zeitgeist of the era. The poster here who feels nostalgia for the 70s when he hears 60s songs, because the 70s is when he first heard them while riding in his parents car, was experiencing GENUINE nostalgia. It doesn't matter in the least that the 60s songs were not part of the 70s zeitgeist. Hearing 60s songs in the 70s was part of HIS LIFE at that specific time and is something that can evoke legitimate nostalgia.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/21 at 9:42 am

...The poster here who feels nostalgia for the 70s when he hears 60s songs, because the 70s is when he first heard them while riding in his parents car, was experiencing GENUINE nostalgia. It doesn't matter in the least that the 60s songs were not part of the 70s zeitgeist. Hearing 60s songs in the 70s was part of HIS LIFE at that specific time and is something that can evoke legitimate nostalgia.

Interesting concept.  I'll use as example the song "I Wanna Meet You" by the Cryan' Shames.  It was a 1966 hit, but the first time I heard the song was on an oldies station in the mid-80s when I was a college student.  When I hear the song, it takes me back to my mid-80s college student days, not 1966.  I think this is what you're talking about.  So is this genuine nostalgia, or "pseudonostalgia"?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/13/21 at 9:51 am

Interesting concept.  I'll use as example the song "I Wanna Meet You" by the Cryan' Shames.  It was a 1966 hit, but the first time I heard the song was on an oldies station in the mid-80s when I was a college student.  When I hear the song, it takes me back to my mid-80s college student days, not 1966.  I think this is what you're talking about.  So is this genuine nostalgia, or "pseudonostalgia"?

That's GENUINE nostalgia for sure. Hearing the song triggers nostalgia for the time, place and period when you heard it. Plain and simple. The song itself does NOT have to be of that time.

All this "picking and choosing" that goes on here, "when will nostalgia for 2011 be coming back so I can be into it", someone just "deciding" to be nostalgic is pseudonostalgia. Nostalgia comes unbidden. It must REMIND a person of something.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/23/21 at 11:03 am

Well, if this doesn't just take the cake! Not only are some people "nostalgic" for time periods they never actually experienced, now we've got people who are NOSTALGIC FOR THE PRESENT. You read right. NOSTALGIC FOR THE PRESENT.

I was reading this article about Joni Mitchell, a musical favorite of mine and recent recipient of the Kennedy Center honors. The article was clearly written by a Millennial woman, and a Millennial woman of some financial means it would appear. But within the lengthy article, triggered by Mitchell's song "The Circle Game"  the writer makes this absurd statement:

But it wasn’t until I was working as a cleaner at a camp site in my early 20s that “Circle Game” fully sunk in. At the time, I was feeling as though I was in some kind of holding pattern, waiting for my “real” life to begin, because this one didn’t yet seem grand enough or match my soaring ambitions for adulthood. It was on an afternoon sweeping out empty cabins in anticipation of another round of young campers, singing to entertain myself, that I fully found solace in “Circle Game.” Sure, I already knew the lyrics from memory, but I’d never really reflected on them until then, each hitting like a new wave of realization. Wistful and hopeful at the same time, the lyrics struck a new chord and suddenly I was nostalgic for my present, so aware it was slipping by, but comforted by the line “there’ll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty.” By the time I hit the final chorus I was crying.

What?? Now people can even be "nostalgic for the present"?? It is now clear to me that the word "nostalgic" has been mangled out of all meaning. 

The article is here:

www.elle.com/culture/music/a38573556/joni-mitchell-essay-kennedy-center-honors/

Check for new replies or respond here...