inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird how September always tends to be the month where transitional shifts happe

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/04/21 at 5:28 pm

2001 shift happened in september due to the twin towers attack.

2006 shift could arguably be in september since justin timberlakes revolutionary future sex/love sounds album released then.

2008 shift is considered to have happened in september(at least most of it, the election finished the shift)

2013 shift arguably happened or started in september due to lorde

Makes me wonder if we'll be seeing a shift this month.  :o :o :o

Subject: Re: Weird how September always tends to be the month where transitional shifts happe

Written By: Catherine91UK on 11/08/21 at 9:49 am

I've seen people say that late 2003 saw the shift from early 00s to mid 00s - you could say the shift happened in September as it was the end of what I heard called 'the summer of R&B' (in the northern hemisphere anyway!).

Subject: Re: Weird how September always tends to be the month where transitional shifts happe

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/08/21 at 10:36 am

I've seen people say that late 2003 saw the shift from early 00s to mid 00s - you could say the shift happened in September as it was the end of what I heard called 'the summer of R&B' (in the northern hemisphere anyway!).

Yeah, that as well

Written By: RLStern on 11/16/21 at 2:45 pm

Shifts happen at 3 points/seasons, Initial Cultural Shock happens whether negative in tragedy(9/11, Vietnam, Pearl Harbor) or positive in good change(Reagan era, Internet, etc) -> Major Change that starts transition-> End of Transition.

The Y2K era for example that started in the late 90's ended in Summer of 2002.

Summer/Fall of 2001 9/11 happens

Spring of 2002: Recession begins, late 90's culture starts fading(NSYNC hiatus & end of Teen pop, Britney Spears hiatus, end of WWF Attitude era etc), Rock & Rap start dominating over teen pop & numetal etc

Summer of 2002: Completely new distinct era, Justin Timberlake solo, WWF now WWE, Pokemania over, Urban music dominates charts, Movies have grey tone etc

Same with Late 90's/Early 2010's era:

Spring 2011: Killed Osama, Fast Five changes action genre

Late 2011-Early 2012: Last remnants of Judd Apatow comedies & Electropop

Mid 2012: Rock returns to WWE and breaks his own previous records, New era move away from Auto-Tune era with "Call me maybe", last of Generation Y graduates school.

Always because of a new school year, as during the Summer trends start and etc.

For example end of school year in June of 2002 NSYNC is on hiatus, Music still played but when you started school year in September 2002, Justin Timberlake is solo.

It's like a friend who goes away for the summer then comes back looking or acting different, new cultures and trends are picked up during the Summer, while slower transitions happen during school time in from fall-spring.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/16/21 at 3:28 pm

Shifts happen at 3 points/seasons, Initial Cultural Shock happens whether negative in tragedy(9/11, Vietnam, Pearl Harbor) or positive in good change(Reagan era, Internet, etc) -> Major Change that starts transition-> End of Transition.

The Y2K era for example that started in the late 90's ended in Summer of 2002.

Summer/Fall of 2001 9/11 happens

Spring of 2002: Recession begins, late 90's culture starts fading(NSYNC hiatus & end of Teen pop, Britney Spears hiatus, end of WWF Attitude era etc), Rock & Rap start dominating over teen pop & numetal etc

Summer of 2002: Completely new distinct era, Justin Timberlake solo, WWF now WWE, Pokemania over, Urban music dominates charts, Movies have grey tone etc

Same with Late 90's/Early 2010's era:

Spring 2011: Killed Osama, Fast Five changes action genre

Late 2011-Early 2012: Last remnants of Judd Apatow comedies & Electropop

Mid 2012: Rock returns to WWE and breaks his own previous records, New era move away from Auto-Tune era with "Call me maybe", last of Generation Y graduates school.

Always because of a new school year, as during the Summer trends start and etc.

For example end of school year in June of 2002 NSYNC is on hiatus, Music still played but when you started school year in September 2002, Justin Timberlake is solo.

It's like a friend who goes away for the summer then comes back looking or acting different, new cultures and trends are picked up during the Summer, while slower transitions happen during school time in from fall-spring.

Electropop faded away mid-late 2013 not early 2012.

I see what you mean though.

I feel like this happened from 08-10. Great recession in mid 08 caused a cultural transition from late 08 - mid 09 which ended in the summer that year for instance.

Written By: RLStern on 11/16/21 at 4:14 pm

Electropop faded away mid-late 2013 not early 2012.

I see what you mean though.

I feel like this happened from 08-10. Great recession in mid 08 caused a cultural transition from late 08 - mid 09 which ended in the summer that year for instance.

Yep, September 2008 I was still wearing graphic T's, but middle of 2009 V necks started taking over in clubs and social settings, especially with shows like Jersey Shore.

Electropop faded in mid 2012 with Call me maybe, no autotune, no late 2000's tropes etc People were comparing it to Y2K pop songs.

Late 2012-2013 is when Blurred lines, Justin's 20/20 album and Undercuts got big.

Check for new replies or respond here...