inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Millennial culture die ?

Written By: CarCar on 09/06/21 at 5:58 pm

When did Late Millennial teen culture and Gen Z/Millennial cusp teen culture die out in the 2010s ?

What were the last trends of these two cohorts ?

Subject: Re: When did Millennial culture die ?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/06/21 at 6:27 pm

2016. Pokemon go was the swan song, trump election was the final nail in the coffin. A lot of things changed that year.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/10/21 at 10:48 pm

Coronavirus was the knockout punch for Millennial culture

Written By: CarCar on 09/11/21 at 12:34 am

Coronavirus was the knockout punch for Millennial culture

Really ? I don’t think Millennial culture even touched the 2020s

Written By: sonikuu on 09/30/21 at 2:15 am

I've lived overseas in Asia (first Japan, then Korea), for a number of years, so my view might more accurately resemble this part of the world. However, I would say it was a slow gradual progress from 2017 onward. The late 2010s are the cusp era, with Zoomer culture slowly growing and Millennial culture slowly waning. It wasn't fully Millennial, nor was it fully Zoomer, but it was a transition between the two. Many Gen Xers and Baby Boomers even regularly mixed up the two, still calling Zoomers Millennials.

2020 will likely go down as the transition from "Millennial-Zoomer mix" to "fully Zoomer" culture due to the pandemic. It created a completely different school experience for the core Zoomer demographic, which serves as a convenient way to divide the two.

That said, 2020 was likely going to be the turning point anyway - in fact, without the pandemic, I would say 2019 was more of a dividing line, as Millennial culture was clearly past it's expiration date at the time.

Written By: CarCar on 09/30/21 at 7:25 am

I've lived overseas in Asia (first Japan, then Korea), for a number of years, so my view might more accurately resemble this part of the world. However, I would say it was a slow gradual progress from 2017 onward. The late 2010s are the cusp era, with Zoomer culture slowly growing and Millennial culture slowly waning. It wasn't fully Millennial, nor was it fully Zoomer, but it was a transition between the two. Many Gen Xers and Baby Boomers even regularly mixed up the two, still calling Zoomers Millennials.

2020 will likely go down as the transition from "Millennial-Zoomer mix" to "fully Zoomer" culture due to the pandemic. It created a completely different school experience for the core Zoomer demographic, which serves as a convenient way to divide the two.

That said, 2020 was likely going to be the turning point anyway - in fact, without the pandemic, I would say 2019 was more of a dividing line, as Millennial culture was clearly past it's expiration date at the time.

2021 also ended the war in Afghanistan, The long enduring war from the early 2000s was already over, so no more news from that, something that always dominated both 2000s and 2010s conflicts in the media. War movies from that time period are going to look dated.

Written By: GenXStoner1984 on 11/27/21 at 1:20 am

2016. Pokemon go was the swan song, trump election was the final nail in the coffin. A lot of things changed that year.
hell yeah brother

Check for new replies or respond here...