inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For Vinyl Music Owners - Album Storage?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/02/21 at 12:31 pm

I'm curious, for anyone who has a substantial collection of vinyl records - what's your storage method for your albums?  Do you have any 45s?  If so, how do you store them?

As anyone who's had a collection of vinyl LPs knows, when talking more than say 30 albums (I probably own more than 500) the collection begs the question, where to store our treasures?  From experience, I can say that a flimsy bookshelf is the wrong answer, after my old bookshelf shelf of albums crumbled down into a broken heap.  Those albums are heavy!  Not to mention big!

Living in a smallish 2 bd condo as we do, we're blessed to have 5 rooms each of which is small compared to average.  Although for us, we've made it work out OK.

In our small "L shaped" dining room, the shorter dimension being 8 3/4 feet, we decided to set up a "library wall" of sorts after investing in super strong Skandia shelves that the Container Store used to sell (sadly it seems they no longer sell them).  The entire 104 inches of the wall alcove, top to bottom and side to side, is Skandia.  The center of this system is dedicated to "pretty things", given it's in the dining room.  Books occupy the two outer sections and magazine holders line the upper shelf.  The entire bottom shelf is dedicated to albums - hundreds of LPs, stored on their sides with spines to the outside.  A proud spot for the collection (as long as I can still bend and get to the floor  ;D).

I also own a number of 45s.  Their storage is a lot less stately: they live in four large shoe boxes in the spare bedroom closet.  I haven't come up with anything better for them (although I was going to move them from shoe boxes to photo boxes, just because some of the shoe boxes have been roughed up).

Other ideas?

Subject: Re: For Vinyl Music Owners - Album Storage?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/21 at 1:46 pm

I have found that milk crates work great. They are the right size for albums and strong enough (well, some are-the vintage ones are much stronger than the newer ones) for stacking. They are versatile that they can be moved fairly easily. We also have some on a sturdy shelf (with the milk crates on the floor under the bottom shelf.

I don't have many 45s-only about a handful and I just put them on top of the albums in one of the crates.

In terms of WHERE they are, they are all under the stairs in our foyer. (Yeah, I know most people don't have foyers or even stairs.) Unfortunately we really can't get to the records because the speakers to the two stereos that we want to sell are in front of them.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/21 at 2:46 pm

I keep mine out in the open, but they gather dust. So I clean them regularly with a special alcohol based cleaner. My dad taught me that when I was a little girl. Anyway, it cleans the records so that when I play them they sound perfect. I don't keep my vinyl Records in boxes because they can break easily and get damaged. Also, I try to keep them in their sleeves.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/02/21 at 3:56 pm

Way back in the 80s, I purchased a whole lot of something that looked sort of like this:

http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_6e215538-7424-41a6-9cd3-e0bac842fefd

Except the ones I bought didn't have to be put together, don't have those "seams" and were (and still are) unfinished wood. I bought them in a furniture store. I don't remember what they cost, but I had a whole lot of albums (500 or more) so I bought a whole lot of them. I stacked a lot of them together and placed my stereo components on top. Instant furniture! A few more I stacked high in a corner which made kind of a tower where plants other decorative things could be put on top. Or in my case a few odd shaped box sets that don't fit anywhere else. CDs were starting to come in at that point, so any additional records I bought were just leaned against the wall.

Fast forward to present. I decided I had  too many piles of albums stacked against walls everywhere like some kind of bargain basement, so in the past month I bought several of THESE on Amazon:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91G2MJ27YoL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! They have to be assembled, but it took me all of ten minutes with a power screwdriver. They are decorative, and it's easy to flip through and find the album I want. Highly recommended!!

I was never a huge 45 collector, but I have quite a few and I just shoved them into a cupboard. In recent times I decided they deserved better. Besides, I  wanted to use the cupboard for something else. I wasn't sure what to do. The problem fixed itself when in walked into a used record store one day and found a couple of these 45 boxes with a clasp in the front that teenage girls in the mid 60s were partial to.

Like this:

https://skypic.attic.city/?bucket=cdn.attic.city&key=items/7a196ec44f144baa900ada520153bc34efce03644ba09ef5f0949e01943d17cb-w670h705q75fit.jpeg

I got a couple in the used record store and a couple more on Ebay. Problem solved, and what a conversation piece they are! One of them came with a manila divider with lines to write the names of all the records, and the previous owner had filled it in!  Lots of Beatles, Monkees, Stones, Tommy James. Definitely mid-60s. And a few pre-Beatles era titles too like Frankie Avalon. I had fun trying to figure out what kind of person this might have been.  ;D

Just a caveat about these, however:

1) I don't think they were ever that sturdily made in the first place, so it's hard to find one in really good shape.
2) They are considered "collectors items" now and can be a bit pricey.

But if you can find a good one and the price is reasonable (or you don't mind a less than reasonable price) they are ideal, and your friends will oooh and ah.

So that's my story. But Cat's milk crate suggestion is the easiest and most practical, and Amazon sells them. In various colors.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/21 at 3:59 pm

My Father keeps his vinyl records or all his music downstairs in the basement.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/02/21 at 8:35 pm

My Father keeps his vinyl records or all his music downstairs in the basement.

So does he actually play music in the basement, or are the records "put away" there?

(Incidentally, I play music in the kitchen a lot.  But I can't play vinyl in the kitchen, only on the main equipment stack which is in the living room.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/02/21 at 10:10 pm

I have found that milk crates work great. They are the right size for albums and strong enough (well, some are-the vintage ones are much stronger than the newer ones) for stacking. They are versatile that they can be moved fairly easily. We also have some on a sturdy shelf (with the milk crates on the floor under the bottom shelf.

I don't have many 45s-only about a handful and I just put them on top of the albums in one of the crates.

In terms of WHERE they are, they are all under the stairs in our foyer. (Yeah, I know most people don't have foyers or even stairs.) Unfortunately we really can't get to the records because the speakers to the two stereos that we want to sell are in front of them.

Cat

O0 Milk crates are the perfect size and strong.  The only thing is, their typical crayon red and blue colors can clash with the decor.  BTW it's nice to live in a house with a foyer having an under-stairs area - reminds me of our family's Michigan farmhouse.

I keep mine out in the open, but they gather dust. So I clean them regularly with a special alcohol based cleaner. My dad taught me that when I was a little girl. Anyway, it cleans the records so that when I play them they sound perfect. I don't keep my vinyl Records in boxes because they can break easily and get damaged. Also, I try to keep them in their sleeves.

Do you use a purchased cleaner or have a homemade formulation?  ???

Way back in the 80s, I purchased a whole lot of something that looked sort of like this:

http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_6e215538-7424-41a6-9cd3-e0bac842fefd

Except the ones I bought didn't have to be put together, don't have those "seams" and were (and still are) unfinished wood. I bought them in a furniture store. I don't remember what they cost, but I had a whole lot of albums (500 or more) so I bought a whole lot of them. I stacked a lot of them together and placed my stereo components on top. Instant furniture! A few more I stacked high in a corner which made kind of a tower where plants other decorative things could be put on top. Or in my case a few odd shaped box sets that don't fit anywhere else. CDs were starting to come in at that point, so any additional records I bought were just leaned against the wall.

Fast forward to present. I decided I had  too many piles of albums stacked against walls everywhere like some kind of bargain basement, so in the past month I bought several of THESE on Amazon:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91G2MJ27YoL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! They have to be assembled, but it took me all of ten minutes with a power screwdriver. They are decorative, and it's easy to flip through and find the album I want. Highly recommended!!

I was never a huge 45 collector, but I have quite a few and I just shoved them into a cupboard. In recent times I decided they deserved better. Besides, I  wanted to use the cupboard for something else. I wasn't sure what to do. The problem fixed itself when in walked into a used record store one day and found a couple of these 45 boxes with a clasp in the front that teenage girls in the mid 60s were partial to.

Like this:

https://skypic.attic.city/?bucket=cdn.attic.city&key=items/7a196ec44f144baa900ada520153bc34efce03644ba09ef5f0949e01943d17cb-w670h705q75fit.jpeg

I got a couple in the used record store and a couple more on Ebay. Problem solved, and what a conversation piece they are! One of them came with a manila divider with lines to write the names of all the records, and the previous owner had filled it in!  Lots of Beatles, Monkees, Stones, Tommy James. Definitely mid-60s. And a few pre-Beatles era titles too like Frankie Avalon. I had fun trying to figure out what kind of person this might have been.  ;D

Just a caveat about these, however:

1) I don't think they were ever that sturdily made in the first place, so it's hard to find one in really good shape.
2) They are considered "collectors items" now and can be a bit pricey.

But if you can find a good one and the price is reasonable (or you don't mind a less than reasonable price) they are ideal, and your friends will oooh and ah.

So that's my story. But Cat's milk crate suggestion is the easiest and most practical, and Amazon sells them. In various colors.

O0 The open top LP organizer looks great!  I like the look of the 45 box too, but as I probably have 300-ish singles, it's unlikely one would be big enough...

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/21 at 10:20 pm

Do you use a purchased cleaner or have a homemade formulation?  ???

It is Isopropyl alcohol based. Because using regular alcohol can damage the vinyl records.

Written By: karen on 10/03/21 at 6:29 am

I keep my singles in a box the same design as the one Voice posted, though mine is plain brown. I have a thinner red box for my albums and 12” singles. Dai has more albums and they are stored on the floor in the gap between the sofa and the stereo cabinet.

Edited to add.

I would like a pic of the milk crates you are all talking about. You couldn’t store albums in U.K. style milk crates because the base has holes to stand the milk bottles/cartons in

Written By: Howard on 10/03/21 at 7:26 am

So does he actually play music in the basement, or are the records "put away" there?

(Incidentally, I play music in the kitchen a lot.  But I can't play vinyl in the kitchen, only on the main equipment stack which is in the living room.)

It's been collecting dust ever since we used to have a Victrola in the living room and I think the Victrola is in our basement too probably collecting dust as well, I think one day he might to consider selling all his vinyls and 45's to maybe a thrift store that may want to have those types of records for those who enjoy The 50's cause I know he needs the money.

No, he doesn't play music in the basement, he most likely has all his music stored on his computer.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/21 at 8:48 am

I would like a pic of the milk crates you are all talking about. You couldn’t store albums in U.K. style milk crates because the base has holes to stand the milk bottles/cartons in

https://thevinylfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/140760.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/21 at 1:40 pm

O0 Milk crates are the perfect size and strong.  The only thing is, their typical crayon red and blue colors can clash with the decor. BTW it's nice to live in a house with a foyer having an under-stairs area - reminds me of our family's Michigan farmhouse.

You may be able to spray paint them a different color.

You don't have to tell me how nice it is living in a house with a foyer. I have been living in this house for 7 years now and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

A shameless plug: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48369.0  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/03/21 at 1:55 pm

Do you guys still have your Victrola somewhere around your house?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/21 at 3:21 pm

Do you guys still have your Victrola somewhere around your house?

To me, a Victrola looks like this:

https://i.etsystatic.com/15304124/r/il/e42272/1615885314/il_570xN.1615885314_38d7.jpg

My sister is the guardian of my great-grandfather's Victrola that looks a lot like the one in this pic.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/21 at 3:39 pm

https://i.etsystatic.com/15304124/r/il/e42272/1615885314/il_570xN.1615885314_38d7.jpg

My sister is the guardian of my great-grandfather's Victrola that looks a lot like the one in this pic.

Cat

I always thought a "victrola" looked like this:

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/11836256/L18739922.jpg?imwidth=400&impolicy=medium

Then I realized that's actually a "gramophone". But a gramophone may actually be a victrola, since "victrolas" are wind-up phonographs. I don't think they've been in use since the 1930s or so.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/21 at 3:56 pm

I always thought a "victrola" looked like this:

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/11836256/L18739922.jpg?imwidth=400&impolicy=medium

Then I realized that's actually a "gramophone". But a gramophone may actually be a victrola, since "victrolas" are wind-up phonographs. I don't think they've been in use since the 1930s or so.

They are Victrola's. Ours (in the cabinet) is a newer model.

Actually Victrola is a brand name. The company merged with RCA in 1929.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/victor-victrola-label-j-l-zarek.jpg

FYI, the dog's name is Little Nipper. There is a HUGE "Little" Nipper on the top of the RCA building in Albany. We used to go past it whenever we went to visit our grandparents who lived in Albany.

https://dailygazette.com/wp-content/uploads/fly-images/132428/newnip-940x940.jpg

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/21 at 4:02 pm

I think Howard is using the word "victrola" generically. He probably heard it from his family growing up. They may have used it like some older people in the 20th Century used to still refer to modern refrigerators as "iceboxes".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/21 at 4:05 pm

I think Howard is using the word "victrola" generically. He probably heard it from his family growing up. They may have used it like some older people in the 20th Century used to still refer to modern refrigerators as "iceboxes".

Or more like a Xerox rather than a copy machine.

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/03/21 at 4:07 pm

Little Nipper is the name of the dog on the HMV record label. The labels originally featured a picture of a dog listening to a gramophone record, hearing His Master’s Voice

Written By: karen on 10/03/21 at 4:09 pm

Cat

That’s what I thought

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/21 at 4:11 pm

Cat

Possibly, but how many people had "Victrola" brand stereos or turntables when we were growing up? I never remember any. Even RCA wasn't marketing their sound equipment as "Victrola" at that point, save for the nostalgic looking  logo.  I know there's a company now called Victrola that makes those nostalgic looking all-in-ones like Crossley does, but that's not the same thing.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/21 at 4:24 pm

Oh, and here's one that combines both refrigerators and using brand names as generic names. When I was growing up, my grandmother always referred to any refrigerator as a "Frigidaire".

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/21 at 4:55 pm

For Milk Crates, you gotta make sure they fit.  Back in the day, people would steal them to use for their records, so milk companies changed the size of them so records would no longer fit in them

I keep my records in these plastic bins called CleverMade.  I keep my 45s in just cardboard boxes (for now)

Written By: Howard on 10/04/21 at 4:33 am

Cat

Wow Cat, that is a huge record player.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/04/21 at 4:35 am

Isn't it also called "record players" too? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 5:15 am

When I first got my first home, I wanted a record collection like the one of British DJ John Peel, is illustrated here.

https://images.fastcompany.net/image/upload/w_1153,ar_16:9,c_fill,g_auto,f_auto,q_auto,fl_lossy/fc/1280-jp-record-shelf-1.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/04/21 at 10:40 am

When I first got my first home, I wanted a record collection like the one of British DJ John Peel, is illustrated here.

https://images.fastcompany.net/image/upload/w_1153,ar_16:9,c_fill,g_auto,f_auto,q_auto,fl_lossy/fc/1280-jp-record-shelf-1.jpg

O0  That's impressive!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/04/21 at 10:46 am

If you divide that roughly down the middle, it's like what mine looks like. I don't have the albums arranged in any particular order (like by artist), just by where I 'feel" they should be. It's worked so far, though sometimes it's hard to find something.  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/04/21 at 10:56 am

If you divide that roughly down the middle, it's like what mine looks like. I don't have the albums arranged in any particular order (like by artist), just by where I 'feel" they should be. It's worked so far, though sometimes it's hard to find something.  :D

You mean I'm not the only person who set up for myself a sometimes frustrating system of organization for my records?  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 11:22 am

I can tell you, mine would be in alphabetical order.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/21 at 1:50 pm

Mine is probably about a quarter of that +/-.

As for organization, right now, there isn't one. But, when I was using them on a regular basis, I arranged them by genre alphabetically-the way I arrange my CDs.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/04/21 at 5:28 pm

https://substandardpoodle.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/peanuts-charlie-brown-im-real-proud-of-my-record-collection-substandardpoodle.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/21 at 5:53 pm

I was trying to find a copy of it but they only place was Roku TV. If you have it, it is Garfield and Friends Season 5, Episode 5 called "The Record Breaker." Garfield and Odie breaks Jon's record player and he goes searching for a new one. Everyone kept asking, "What's a record? What's a record player?"

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/04/21 at 6:22 pm

Howard, THAT'S a Victrola! A Victrola is an old, hand cranked turntable from the 1930s or so. You've been referring to record players as "Victrolas" and now you are referring to a Victrola as a "record player".  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/21 at 6:53 pm

The top part is the turn table, the middle is the "speaker" and the bottom is storage.

https://warnermansionmusings.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/victrola-cabinet-phonograph-with-inside-horn.jpg

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/05/21 at 4:39 am

Wow, that is huge.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/05/21 at 4:40 am

Howard, THAT'S a Victrola! A Victrola is an old, hand cranked turntable from the 1930s or so. You've been referring to record players as "Victrolas" and now you are referring to a Victrola as a "record player".  :D

Whatever, same thing!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/21 at 9:30 am

Whatever, same thing!

Actually not the same thing at all.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/23 at 8:56 pm

I've since started keeping my records in shelves that I got from Wal-Mart that look like those Kallax shelves you can get at IKEA.  On top of the shelves, I have boxes I made to fit my 45's, but I've since learned that boxes that hold comic books work better, so I'm gonna look at doing that.  For now though, I've taken a video of my record collection that shows my Victrola Record player as well.  Not the best set up, but when you have limited space to collect, you work with what you got, and I think I've done ok...

Song heard in the video is from 1988 called Ain't Good Lovin' by Diamond in the Rough.  I wanted something obscure so I wouldn't run a risk of copyright, plus, that sax solo is just fantastic!

R-K2K_Moy_k

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/18/23 at 10:12 pm

I've since started keeping my records in shelves that I got from Wal-Mart that look like those Kallax shelves you can get at IKEA.  On top of the shelves, I have boxes I made to fit my 45's, but I've since learned that boxes that hold comic books work better, so I'm gonna look at doing that.  For now though, I've taken a video of my record collection that shows my Victrola Record player as well.  Not the best set up, but when you have limited space to collect, you work with what you got, and I think I've done ok...

Song heard in the video is from 1988 called Ain't Good Lovin' by Diamond in the Rough.  I wanted something obscure so I wouldn't run a risk of copyright, plus, that sax solo is just fantastic!

Nice setup!  O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/23 at 5:30 am

O0

Will you be able to find The Beatles "Abbey Road" in an instance?

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/23 at 7:05 am

O0

Will you be able to find The Beatles "Abbey Road" in an instance?

No.  I don't own any Beatles records :(

Written By: Howard on 04/19/23 at 7:15 am

My Father does and I think one of them is The Revolver album, it is stored downstairs in our basement.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/23 at 1:20 pm

Any other British bands?

Subject: For Vinyl Music Owners - Album Storage?

Written By: Dude111 on 04/19/23 at 3:48 pm

I keep them in my room............. I gotta get some boxs I reckon as I almost too many!!

I cant help it......

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/23 at 4:57 pm

Any other British bands?

Tons.  I got Status Quo, Iron Maiden, The Jam, The Style Council, The Rolling Stones, Duran Duran, Level 42, Spandau Ballet and more

Check for new replies or respond here...