inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What a wonderful world by James Taylor, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 10/02/21 at 9:51 pm

What year did that song come out?

Subject: Re: What a wonderful world by James Taylor, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/02/21 at 10:37 pm

What year did that song come out?

Per my Billboard source, it first hit the charts' Top 100 in January 1978.  It reached into the Top 20, peaking at #17.

That's a very pretty rendition of Wonderful World!  :)

Subject: Re: What a wonderful world by James Taylor, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/21 at 4:25 pm

Not my favorite. I always loved the late, great Sam Cooke's version best.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/03/21 at 8:09 pm

Not to be confused with "What a Wonderful World" by the late great Louis Armstrong. That's a different song entirely.

The song being discussed here is simply titled "Wonderful World", even though the phrase "What a" appears before the title in all lyrical occurrences.

Cat

Same with me. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 2:55 am

I have not heard this cover yet.

I was once in a famous London record store, hearing mumbled voices, for customers and a member of staff, about these songs, and I have to explain to them the difference in the two songs.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/04/21 at 10:54 am

That's a very pretty rendition of Wonderful World!  :)

Cat

I am indeed very fond of Sam Cooke's original, but I do appreciate this slowed down interpretation.  I especially like the blended vocals, well done IMO.

I have not heard this cover yet.

Here ya go.  (Hopefully this one works for you)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjZjfSsEk8

(Little trivia tidbit: I was taught to use a "Slide Rule" in high school...  ;D)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 12:06 pm

I am indeed very fond of Sam Cooke's original, but I do appreciate this slowed down interpretation.  I especially like the blended vocals, well done IMO.

Here ya go.  (Hopefully this one works for you)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjZjfSsEk

(Little trivia tidbit: I was taught to use a "Slide Rule" in high school...  ;D)

It has a ring of familiarity to me, and I prefer Sam Cooke original version.

I use a "Slide Rule" too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/21 at 1:45 pm

The song always reminds me of my college days when I was first dating Carlos.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/21 at 4:14 pm

Sam Cooke, all the way

Check for new replies or respond here...