inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2000s is a sequel to the 80s

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/15/21 at 5:49 pm

- A Republican president is elected in the first year and is re-elected in the fifth year

- A crisis starts in the second year(AIDS crisis, War on terror because of 9/11)

- Materialist zeitgeist

- Both decades had very severe recessions. 80s had the most severe recession since WWII, 00s had the worst since the great depression.

- Similar looking dark and edgy subcultures. 80s had goths, 00s had emos. They also had punk rock/metal music associated with those groups

- Electropop styles were popular in both decades

- 2000s has some 80s influence due to the 80s revival going on at the time.

Subject: Re: The 2000s is a sequel to the 80s

Written By: ac01c9e17 on 10/15/21 at 6:07 pm

Both decades also had pop culture that was very progressive and appealed a lot more to liberals than conservatives.

Though I talking more about the Early-2000’s here as opposed to the rest of the decade.  And I know not everything from the Early-2000’s was all that progressive.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/15/21 at 6:40 pm

Both decades also had pop culture that was very progressive and appealed a lot more to liberals than conservatives.

Though I talking more about the Early-2000’s here as opposed to the rest of the decade.  And I know not everything from the Early-2000’s was all that progressive.

80s is the decade when reagan was elected twice and disco died. Some of the pop culture may be liberal but i'd say on the whole it is conservative.

The progressivism from the early 00s is a holdover of the 90s and Bush still got elected in the first year of that decade. For most of the decade it was conservative because of 9/11.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/15/21 at 6:46 pm

This isn't quite accurate. the 80s were VERY conservative. It was the REAGAN era, after all. Reagan is synonymous with conservatism. (Or at least conservatism as it was in those days. The definitions have shifted quite a bit since). And pop culture most assuredly reflected it. It was conservative and jingoistic. "Top Gun" anybody? Even "Risky Business" which was released in 1983, reflected materialistic values VERY different than the youth values of the 70s. And this was VERY DELIBERATE. "Risky Business" had it's hand right on the pulse of the new conservative youth of the 80s, the "young Republicans". Likewise TV had "Family Ties", with the Alex P. Keaton character being the very poster child of the new conservative, Republican materialistic youth.

Written By: ac01c9e17 on 10/15/21 at 7:14 pm

Your right, the Early-To-Mid-2000s were a much less conservative and materialistic and much more sophisticated time for pop culture America than the 1980’s and something like Harry Potter, Christina Aguilera or an album like Green Day’s American Idiot all probably couldn’t have been popular in the 80’s

Even 2000’s sounding post-grunge (which is considered by many rock purists as the “hair metal” of the 2000’s) was far less misogynistic and a far more sophisticated genre for rock music than hair metal.

I guess you could say the 2000’s were the 1980’s done right (sorry if I trigger some big 80’s pop culture fanatics here by saying that haha).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/15/21 at 7:35 pm

Your right, the Early-To-Mid-2000s were a much less conservative and materialistic and much more sophisticated time for pop culture America than the 1980’s and something like Harry Potter, Christina Aguilera or an album like Green Day’s American Idiot all probably couldn’t have been popular in the 80’s

You might even say "American Idiot" was a result of the 80s. A reaction against 80s values in some respects. Even "Harry Potter" which I was never a fan of, can still be seen as a sort of attempt at a "return to mysticism", which was completely void in the 80s, and which the 60s & 70s had in abundance.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/22 at 8:07 am

And 80's nostalgia truly took off by 2003.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/22 at 5:48 pm

The bling bling of the rappers in the 00's reminds me of the materialistic view of the 1980's. So there's that and add in that George W. Bush was President for two terms. Like a Conservative president for two terms. We had the same thing in the 1980's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/22 at 2:21 pm

You might even say "American Idiot" was a result of the 80s. A reaction against 80s values in some respects. Even "Harry Potter" which I was never a fan of, can still be seen as a sort of attempt at a "return to mysticism", which was completely void in the 80s, and which the 60s & 70s had in abundance.

Have you read the books? I can tell you that the books are so much better than the movies. I can't watch the movies anymore but love the books.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/22 at 5:58 pm

I always saw Harry Potter as the Gone With The Wind of my generation. Such a huge phenomenon!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/22 at 6:24 pm

The 2010's remind me of the 1970's and the early 2020's remind me of the early 1980's, with our recession and all.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...