inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lucy and Ricky's reputation over the years

Written By: BotleyCrew on 11/12/21 at 12:42 pm

Was "I Love Lucy" always been a beloved sitcom?

Hearing about "I Love Lucy" from my family growing up it was always described as dated, corny, unfunny etc. I've heard this sentiment from relatives who were young when it was on, and from my boomer parents.

Recently, Aaron Sorkin stated that "I Love Lucy" was dated and wouldn't been seen as funny anymore (despite directing a movie about it), and is being dragged on social media about it, mostly by millenials who are big fans of the show.

Is this because younger people are reevaluating and rehabilitating the show, or has it always been popular and my family are just boring sticks in the mud?

Subject: Re: Lucy and Ricky's reputation over the years

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/21 at 8:56 pm

It's a show that definitely could not exist today, for several reasons:

- When Lucy was bad, Ricky would spank her
- Lucy always wanted to be in the show, but Ricky wouldn't let her because her place was at home making his dinner and cleaning house
- Ricky would come home and expect Lucy to have his dinner ready on the table.  In one episode, she was sick in bed, and he came home still expecting dinner to be ready

When the show was popular though, that stuff was normal and no one really saw wrong with it, and watching it with that in mind, the episodes are funny, but if a show like that was ever made today, it would get so many complaints

Written By: Contigo on 11/13/21 at 7:56 am

I love Lucy has always been regarded as a funny show and one of the best shows of all time.  I grew up in the 60s with reruns of that particular show, our family always liked it, I still watch it on occasion, it's still very funny.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/13/21 at 10:01 am

In one episode, she was sick in bed, and he came home still expecting dinner to be ready

Omg. This really made me laugh! So funny.

Check for new replies or respond here...