inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Evolution of Cars: 1886 to 2021

Written By: violet_shy on 11/15/21 at 12:54 pm

This is interesting. I enjoyed watching it.

ba5Xwe2GCvk                     

Subject: Re: Evolution of Cars: 1886 to 2021

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/15/21 at 12:56 pm

Maybe should go in what's the last thing you watched on Yotuube topic?

www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61883.0

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/21 at 1:02 pm

It was Karl Benz
That drove you round bends
He got you far
In the motorcar.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/21 at 1:03 pm

Maybe should go in what's the last thing you watched on Yotuube topic?

www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61883.0
Agreed!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/21 at 1:07 pm

They're dirty, polluting, gas-guzzling deathtraps by today's standards, but aesthetically I think cars peaked in the 1960's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/21 at 1:08 pm

They're dirty, polluting, gas-guzzling deathtraps by today's standards, but aesthetically I think cars peaked in the 1960's.
Soon to be electric only.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/15/21 at 1:53 pm

This is interesting. I enjoyed watching it.

I enjoyed it too.  Especially the very old cars.

I will say the person that made this skewed very heavily toward luxury cars and/or muscle cars in their selections.  In particular the later decade cars, I saw very few cars that an average family would drive.  :-\\  (Although the non-luxury muscle cars could be popular among "ordinary" people who didn't need to be very practical).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/21 at 2:27 pm

That's why I splurged a little on my most recent car, I wanted to get something nice because I figure it might possibly be the last gas-powered car I ever own.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/21 at 2:43 pm

I enjoyed it too.  Especially the very old cars.

I will say the person that made this skewed very heavily toward luxury cars and/or muscle cars in their selections.  In particular the later decade cars, I saw very few cars that an average family would drive.  :-\\  (Although the non-luxury muscle cars could be popular among "ordinary" people who didn't need to be very practical).

I noticed that, too. Today, most people drive Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, & Subarus (as well as others) and I didn't see any of them in this video. 

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/21 at 2:57 pm

That's why I splurged a little on my most recent car, I wanted to get something nice because I figure it might possibly be the last gas-powered car I ever own.

Back in 2016, our 2008 Honda Civic's A/C died. Luckily it was the end of the summer but we figured if we fixed it, it would cost at least $1000. We figured it was time to trade in our 8 year old car for new one. So we got a 2016 Honda Civic (that is a stick. Carlos INSIST on that). In 2018, we got a letter from the Honda place with a deal. We trade in our 2016 for a 2018-the only stipulation was the payments would extend two years. But, the payments actually went down $1 a month. It was a no-brainer. They made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

Then last year, wondered if they would make us the same deal. Yup, we got another letter from the Honda place with a similar deal. Again, Carlos INSISTED on a stick. They are getting harder and harder to find. They did but it wasn't a regular Civic but a Sport-which meant the payments were a bit more expensive (not by much-maybe $20 more or so). So, we are wondering if they are going to make us the same offer.

Carlos keep saying that this may be his last stick (though he did say that about 2 years ago). But, he is thinking of a hybrid. When we took our trip across country this summer, we didn't see too many EV fill ups except when we were in California. That would be a issue since we travel a lot. But, with a hybrid, we can rely on gas if need be. But if we get a hybrid, there goes the stick.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/15/21 at 4:09 pm

Back in 2016, our 2008 Honda Civic's A/C died. Luckily it was the end of the summer but we figured if we fixed it, it would cost at least $1000. We figured it was time to trade in our 8 year old car for new one. So we got a 2016 Honda Civic (that is a stick. Carlos INSIST on that). In 2018, we got a letter from the Honda place with a deal. We trade in our 2016 for a 2018-the only stipulation was the payments would extend two years. But, the payments actually went down $1 a month. It was a no-brainer. They made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

Then last year, wondered if they would make us the same deal. Yup, we got another letter from the Honda place with a similar deal. Again, Carlos INSISTED on a stick. They are getting harder and harder to find. They did but it wasn't a regular Civic but a Sport-which meant the payments were a bit more expensive (not by much-maybe $20 more or so). So, we are wondering if they are going to make us the same offer.

Carlos keep saying that this may be his last stick (though he did say that about 2 years ago). But, he is thinking of a hybrid. When we took our trip across country this summer, we didn't see too many EV fill ups except when we were in California. That would be a issue since we travel a lot. But, with a hybrid, we can rely on gas if need be. But if we get a hybrid, there goes the stick.

Cat

I never realized how hard stick shift cars are to come by these days.  Of course today, obtaining any new car seems to be an issue with the supply chain problems.  Years ago we had this year circled to replace my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback, so it made sense to start looking.  But I've been happy with the Focus and things are pretty much working, so I decided to keep it a couple more years and instead extended its Ford warranty.  (Adds a little peace of mind.)

As far as the EV fill ups, I've seen them slowly popping up in places like supermarkets (and when I was working, my workplace put a few in).  I think the keyword is slowly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/21 at 5:00 pm

I never realized how hard stick shift cars are to come by these days.  Of course today, obtaining any new car seems to be an issue with the supply chain problems.  Years ago we had this year circled to replace my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback, so it made sense to start looking.  But I've been happy with the Focus and things are pretty much working, so I decided to keep it a couple more years and instead extended its Ford warranty.  (Adds a little peace of mind.)

As far as the EV fill ups, I've seen them slowly popping up in places like supermarkets (and when I was working, my workplace put a few in).  I think the keyword is slowly.

There is one around the corner from me in my little town. But, if we were to get an electric/hybrid, we wouldn't need that since we will just plug it in here. In fact, my youngest step-daughter just bought a hybrid (she had a hard time finding one) and came for an overnight this weekend. She plugged it into the plug we have on our porch. Yeah, Carlos was looking at it with interest. Whether we go with a hybrid or not is really his call-whatever car we get is really his call since I don't drive. He is the one who has/will do all the driving.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/21 at 7:57 pm

I noticed that, too. Today, most people drive Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, & Subarus (as well as others) and I didn't see any of them in this video. 

Cat
Not around here. Most of the guys I work with drive Ford F-150's and Ram pickups.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/21 at 8:37 pm

Not around here. Most of the guys I work with drive Ford F-150's and Ram pickups.

Yeah, those, too. But they weren't included in the video either.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/16/21 at 3:39 am

And driver-less.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/21 at 4:44 am

And driver-less.
The Google Driverless cars are currently failed.

Check for new replies or respond here...