inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What decades already feel forgotten to you in 2021 ?

Written By: CarCar on 11/28/21 at 6:50 pm

As were now in the 2020s what decade do you feel is now becoming blurry and feels less memorable to even your average adult. I feel the 70s and 80s are slowly starting to blur nowadays. They’re becoming the grandparents decades as the 90s and 2000s become the parent decades. Anything Pre-70s feels historical to me

Subject: Re: What decades already feel forgotten to you in 2021 ?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/28/21 at 7:14 pm

Can't wait to be a boomer 2000s kid

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/21 at 7:16 pm

What is a "boomer 2000s kid"?

Written By: CarCar on 11/28/21 at 7:30 pm

Lol that’s not what I meant, I meant people who came of age in the 90s and 2000s are slowly or already are the parents and the same goes for the 70s and 80s being the grandparents decades

Written By: Contigo on 11/28/21 at 7:40 pm

Perhaps the older you are, the less forgotten the older decades feel to you
I was born in the 1950s, the late 1950s and 1960s were my childhood years and I don't feel they belong in a history book quite yet, haha. 
For me, and maybe because I was born in 1957, anything before that feels historical to me because I didn't live through it.
Having said that, when I look at footage of the JFK assassination, it does feels a long time ago.
On the other hand, the 1990s to today feel like on huge blur to me, it flew by so quickly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/21 at 7:51 pm

Lol that’s not what I meant, I meant people who came of age in the 90s and 2000s are slowly or already are the parents and the same goes for the 70s and 80s being the grandparents decades

That is correct, but it's purely mathematical. How else could it be? People who were young in the 70s or 80s are now grandparents. People who were young in 1910 are now deceased. That's how time works. We're not sure what you're asking.

Written By: CarCar on 11/28/21 at 7:58 pm

That is correct, but it's purely mathematical. How else could it be? People who were young in the 70s or 80s are now grandparents. People who were young in 1910 are now deceased. That's how time works. We're not sure what you're asking.

My question is what recent decade do you feel is now being forgotten by everyone now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/21 at 8:12 pm

My question is what recent decade do you feel is now being forgotten by everyone now.

I don't remember.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/21 at 8:12 pm

Perhaps the older you are, the less forgotten the older decades feel to you
I was born in the 1950s, the late 1950s and 1960s were my childhood years and I don't feel they belong in a history book quite yet, haha. 
For me, and maybe because I was born in 1957, anything before that feels historical to me because I didn't live through it.
Having said that, when I look at footage of the JFK assassination, it does feels a long time ago.
On the other hand, the 1990s to today feel like on huge blur to me, it flew by so quickly.

Accurate!

Written By: CarCar on 11/28/21 at 8:20 pm

Accurate!

That’s weird, wouldn’t you remember things you actually remember where you were as a full adult compared to a baby ?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/21 at 8:39 pm

That’s weird, wouldn’t you remember things you actually remember where you were as a full adult compared to a baby ?

Not necessarily. Not necessarily at all. Things leave FAR more of an impress on the brain (and the memory) when one is young. That's pure neuroscience. As one gets older time gives the sensation of moving much faster, and a lot of things are less memorable than those deeply impressionable earlier years. This explains why people can often remember, for example, what record they bought in March of 1974 and where they bought it, yet not remember what they had for lunch a few days ago.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/28/21 at 9:57 pm

OK Boomer.

Does that help?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/29/21 at 4:32 am

I would say The 1980's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/21 at 5:49 am

The strange thing I can remember the 1960s and 1970s better than the 2010s

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/09/21 at 2:31 pm

I would say The 1980's.

That decade has been brought back to death over the past 15-20 years or so, with a couple of sitcom episode reenactments of "The Facts of Life" and "Diff'rent Strokes" Tuesday night being the latest example. Once the nostalgic interest for that decade becomes more of a niche (history books, museum exhibits), then it feels more forgotten and quaint, like what the 1960s are today, even though my Boomer dad still loves the Beatles just as much as he ever has been. For people my age, it's probably the 2000s at this point. The '90s have really been brought back strongly over the past five years or so, right on down to the New Kids/N'SYNC/Backstreet Boys holiday concert recently, to the Legends of the Hidden Temple reboot, songs from that decade appearing in commercials, fashion trends/design. Right now, I'd say the 2000s feels forgotten at this point; its relatively recent enough to not have that "vintage" feel by most (Xennials and older in particular), but far enough that certain second-string movies aren't quite memorable, even though every decade has its obscure & forgotten. 

Written By: Contigo on 12/09/21 at 2:43 pm

This.
I can relate and agree.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/21 at 2:47 pm

This.
I can relate and agree.
Groovy!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/21 at 3:23 pm

This.
I can relate and agree.

Yup. I moved around a lot in my younger days. My memory works a bit like this:  I remember this because I was living here at the time. I remember that because I was living there at the time. I moved in with Carlos in 1998 and stayed put until 20214 when we moved into this house. Now, I don't recall when things happened because I stopped moving.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...