inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Years that are much older than they sound?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/10/22 at 6:34 am

At the moment 2017 comes to mind. Now, i'm aware that is isn't THAT old but still, I find it hard to believe it was 5 years ago when the pop culture of the time feels like yesterday. Back then 2012 felt distant but 2017 doesn't feel distant at all besides COVID.

Subject: Re: Years that are much older than they sound?

Written By: Wink-182 on 02/11/22 at 7:20 pm

At the moment 2017 comes to mind. Now, i'm aware that is isn't THAT old but still, I find it hard to believe it was 5 years ago when the pop culture of the time feels like yesterday. Back then 2012 felt distant but 2017 doesn't feel distant at all besides COVID.

That's the main one I'm still kinda stuck on, 2017 being 5 years ago is really weird to think about. 2016 being six years ago is something I think about daily now too, because six years ago from 2016 was 2010 and that's something that feels awhile ago to me, compared to 2016.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/11/22 at 7:58 pm

That's the main one I'm still kinda stuck on, 2017 being 5 years ago is really weird to think about. 2016 being six years ago is something I think about daily now too, because six years ago from 2016 was 2010 and that's something that feels awhile ago to me, compared to 2016.

Exactly. It's really weird thinking trump was president 5 years ago, gucci gang came out 5 years ago, despacito came out 5 years ago, Iphone X came out 5 years ago, switch came out 5 years ago etc etc. But oddly enough my personal life does feel it was that long ago yet the pop culture feels like yesterday.

2016 also feels a bit too recent for 6 years pop culturally.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/14/22 at 4:01 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one weirded out by this phenomenon! In terms of life itself, things are DRASTICALLY different than 2017. Yet... music isn't that different now? A lot of the trap from that year (Black Beatles, Bad & Boujee, Humble, etc.) could come out today and fit in just as well.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/14/22 at 4:13 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one weirded out by this phenomenon! In terms of life itself, things are DRASTICALLY different than 2017. Yet... music isn't that different now? A lot of the trap from that year (Black Beatles, Bad & Boujee, Humble, etc.) could come out today and fit in just as well.

The actual pop culture feels like 1 or 2 years ago but my personal life and the new deal with COVID and all that make it feel much much older. It feels recent yet very distant at the same time. Very weird.

Check for new replies or respond here...