inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cover/Tribute Bands

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/22 at 3:32 pm

This subject was inspired by a post that Al-B made about the Chicago cover band.

We have seen a Beatles tribute band called 1964 back in 2010. They were good. There were a few times I had to tell myself that I was NOT watching the Beatles.

Not the best pic. Was using my little camera.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52141496921_6c1de4e3da.jpg

What is your opinion of cover and/or tribute bands? Do you like them? Hate them? Somewhere in between? Have you seen any in person? Have any favorites?

Cat

Subject: Re: Cover/Tribute Bands

Written By: nally on 06/12/22 at 3:38 pm

Speaking of Beatles tribute bands, I’ve heard of the Fab Four, whose members seem to do spot-on imitations of John and Paul. They have covered many Beatles songs. They even recorded a Christmas album in which they performed Christmas songs in the style of specific Beatles songs. For example, they recorded “Hark the Harold Angels Sing” in the style of “Help!”

Ex0vp926A54

Written By: Howard on 06/12/22 at 4:06 pm

This subject was inspired by a post that Al-B made about the Chicago cover band.

We have seen a Beatles tribute band called 1964 back in 2010. They were good. There were a few times I had to tell myself that I was NOT watching the Beatles.

Not the best pic. Was using my little camera.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52141496921_6c1de4e3da.jpg

What is your opinion of cover and/or tribute bands? Do you like them? Hate them? Somewhere in between? Have you seen any in person? Have any favorites?

Cat

I do like them, Sometimes they get the sound of the original band on point.

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/22 at 5:44 pm

I don't know if this woman still performs, but there was a Shania Twain tribute singer who called herself Shania Twin.  I saw her on a few talk shows back in the day and she was pretty good...

2Z_dw6HewwM

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/12/22 at 9:53 pm

Cat

More where that came from.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJzlHBN3BT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQ1llzPiB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_j4Ytecgg

These are all amazing musicians, but that drummer is on another level.

And the female backup singer is drop-dead gorgeous.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/22 at 6:01 am

Speaking of Beatles tribute bands, I’ve heard of the Fab Four, whose members seem to do spot-on imitations of John and Paul. They have covered many Beatles songs. They even recorded a Christmas album in which they performed Christmas songs in the style of specific Beatles songs. For example, they recorded “Hark the Harold Angels Sing” in the style of “Help!”

I do not know if they are still performing, the UK has The Bootleg Beatles.

Written By: karen on 06/13/22 at 4:11 pm

I’ve seen them a couple of times, first was sometime in the mid to late eighties and then again in the nineties.

The first time the support band was The Strolling Bones

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/13/22 at 4:31 pm

There's a T. Rex tribute band called "T. Rextasy" running  around England, but the guy has been doing it so long he's got to be in his 70s and looks silly trying to be Marc Bolan, doing the moves and all. Bolan died when he was 29, a few weeks shy of his 30th birthday.

Written By: nally on 06/13/22 at 7:43 pm

Not sure how active the Fab 4 are at the moment. I just know that I stumbled across those Christmas songs with Beatles touches almost 10 years ago, and I thought they were quite creative.

Written By: karen on 06/14/22 at 6:22 am

I forgot

I also saw Bjorn Again in concert, again back in the eighties.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/22 at 1:14 am

I forgot

O0

Thank you, I was trying to remember that band without looking it up on the world wide web.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/22 at 1:39 am

I forgot

I used to have one of their CD singles.  It was called Erasure-Ish and contained covers of the Erasure hits Stop! and A Little Respect.  I originally bought it because I thought it was a follow-up to that EP that Erasure did of ABBA songs and I wasn't really disappointed that it wasn't.

https://i.discogs.com/42zrMqffIJqf2LjLRgo00MKwmiVKOF3LaXQkPA24c9Y/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:526/w:600/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTkzNjk1/OC0xNjQ4NTYzNjI1/LTcxNzkuanBlZw.jpeg

Written By: karen on 06/25/22 at 3:06 pm

We were talking about cover bands at dinner yesterday. Elizabeth and her boyfriend saw a band that did a set of songs from The Killers and then, after a quick change, did Artic Monkeys covers.

During the conversation Dai reminded me that we had seen Australian Pink Floyd in concert a couple of years ago

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/22 at 1:40 pm

Last night we saw another Beatles tribute band called Studio II. They were ok. They played very well but the singing was...well...ok but not great. I did take pics & videos but they are still in the camera.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...