inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bands That Changed Their Name

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/22 at 11:08 pm

Over the years, there have been popular bands who have changed their name, whether it was before they were successful or even while they were successful.  What are some?

I will begin with one from Canada that is quite unusual.  In 1974, a 5-piece band from Toronto called Southcote had a hit called She.  In 1975, 3 of the members regrouped under the name Studebaker Hawk and had a hit called Rainbows, Pots of Gold & Moonbeams before changing their name to New City Jam Band and in 1976, had a hit called Lazy Love.  While Southcote is technically a different band altogether, all 3 are widely regarded as basically the same band, and no album was ever released by either

Southcote - She (1974)
sM6EDD1Xu1A

Studebaker Hawk:  Rainbows, Pots Of Gold & Moonbeams (1975)

New City Jam Band - Lazy Love (1976)
qUHVc7MRcMs

Subject: Re: Bands That Changed Their Name

Written By: nally on 07/05/22 at 12:59 am

Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship to just plain Starship.

Some might argue that these could be considered separate acts, but Grace Slick was in all three, as were other members.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/22 at 1:15 am

The Quarrymen > The Silver Beatles > The Beatles

Written By: Howard on 07/05/22 at 7:07 am

The group Aurra that consisted of Curtis Jones And Starleana Young had changed their group to Deja.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 8:32 am

Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship to just plain Starship.

Some might argue that these could be considered separate acts, but Grace Slick was in all three, as were other members.

Nope. This one is definitely "bands that became other bands", which is already a thread, and in which I outlined the whole Jefferson lineage. Just because bands have members in common doesn't mean it's the same band that simply changed it's name. By your argument, Hot Tuna would also have to be included in this grouping, because several members of Jefferson Airplane formed that band as well. So it would be "Jefferson Airplane changed it's name to Hot Tuna" which is manifestly not true.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 8:33 am

The Mothers of Invention changed their name to simply The Mothers in the early 70s, which was the original name Frank Zappa wanted for the band in the first place. The record company thought it sounded obscene (don't ask me why) so they made him call it The Mothers of Invention.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 8:35 am

The Dixie Chicks changed their name to The Chicks in an attempt to be woke. Likewise Lady Antebellum who are now Lady A.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/22 at 8:41 am

Simon and Garfunkel from 1956 to 1964 were called Tom & Jerry

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/22 at 8:48 am

The Payolas were a Canadian new wave group from the 80s.  While they had a few hits in Canada, they are perhaps best known in the US for the 1982 single Eyes of A Stranger which appeared in the movie Valley Girl and is considered a quintessential song of the early 80s.  The singer is Paul Hyde and the guitarist is Bob Rock (the famous music producer) and in 1987, they changed the name of the band to Rock and Hyde and scored a hit called Dirty Water which to this day is still IMO one of the greatest songs of the 80s!

The Payolas - Eyes Of A Stranger (1982)
1C_fVnE3xHY

Rock and Hyde - Dirty Water (1987)
G5kLzAajFZQ

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 9:06 am

The Young Rascals changed their name to The Rascals.

In a similar vein, the Small Faces became the Faces but I think this one is more "bands that became other bands", because the replacement of Steve Marriott with Rod Stewart brought on such a tremendous change. I always thought it was a bit awkward that they were inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of Fame as  one thing, "The Small Faces/The Faces".

Badfinger were originally the Iveys.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 11:03 am

Chicago was originally Chicago Transit Authority.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/CTA_album.jpg

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/05/22 at 4:23 pm

(Maybe my memory is going bad, but didn't we already have a topic for this?)

Anyway, the Grateful Dead started as the Warlocks.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 5:12 pm

(Maybe my memory is going bad, but didn't we already have a topic for this?)

Anyway, the Grateful Dead started as the Warlocks.

No, we had "bands that became other bands" which is different.

Written By: nally on 07/05/22 at 8:01 pm

Nope. This one is definitely "bands that became other bands", which is already a thread, and in which I outlined the whole Jefferson lineage. Just because bands have members in common doesn't mean it's the same band that simply changed it's name. By your argument, Hot Tuna would also have to be included in this grouping, because several members of Jefferson Airplane formed that band as well. So it would be "Jefferson Airplane changed it's name to Hot Tuna" which is manifestly not true.

I knew it.

However, in my “Billboard Top 40 Hits” book, songs by all three names (JA, JS, S) are grouped together. That doesn’t mean anything though.

Guess I’m either having a hard time understanding this, or can’t come up with any legit examples. :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 8:58 pm

I knew it.

However, in my “Billboard Top 40 Hits” book, songs by all three names (JA, JS, S) are grouped together. That doesn’t mean anything though.

Guess I’m either having a hard time understanding this, or can’t come up with any legit examples. :-\\

I'm sure you get it, it's just that the Jefferson Airplane situation is a particularly complex one. One must be really invested in that band to truly get the whole oeuvre. I've been invested in them for over 50 years, so I'm a bit of an odd duck. 

Oeuvre: a substantial body of work constituting the lifework of a writer, an artist, or a composer.
-Merriam-Webster

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/22 at 11:06 pm

I knew it.

If anything, I'd give Jefferson Starship to Starship a pass.  Paul Kantner left the band in 1984 before he sued over the rights of the "Jefferson" name, so even though Starship were "forced" to change their name, the line up on the final Jefferson Starship album vs the first Starship album was the same with the exception of Paul Kantner and the departure of bass player David Frieberg.  Jefferson Airplane is a whole different thing

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/22 at 11:16 pm

If anything, I'd give Jefferson Starship to Starship a pass.  Paul Kantner left the band in 1984 before he sued over the rights of the "Jefferson" name, so even though Starship were "forced" to change their name, the line up on the final Jefferson Starship album vs the first Starship album was the same with the exception of Paul Kantner and the departure of bass player David Frieberg.  Jefferson Airplane is a whole different thing

Sorry, it's the SPIRIT of the thing. When Paul Kantner, the heart, soul and intellect of the band (though never particularly it's meal ticket) left, the soul was irrevocably ripped out of the band. It was WITHOUT QUESTION an entirely different band, same members or no. Without his songs, regardless of the fact that his songs were not the "hits",  there as no trace left of what the band had once been. Even the final album before Paul's departure "Nuclear Furniture" shows the schizophrenia of what the band had been and where it was going. Paul's three epic songs form the nucleus of what could have been a great concept album about a post-nuclear world. Some of Grace's songs were  simpatico with Paul's. The rest of the stuff was Mickey Thomas junk. When Paul left it was all Mickey Thomas junk. Not the same band at all.

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/22 at 11:17 pm

The Staccatos were a rock band from Ottawa that formed in 1963, and in the mid-late 60s, charted 9 hits in Canada before changing their name to match the title of a song that lead singer Les Emmerson had written about the group, which defined what they were:  a Five Man Electrical Band

While The Staccatos never made it out of Canada, Five Man Electrical Band did, and remain best known for the 1971 hit Signs.

The Staccatos - Half Past Midnight (1967)
9blxLXSQ7Es

Five Man Electrical Band - Signs (1971)
CxrsVV5N06I

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/22 at 11:24 pm

Sorry, it's the SPIRIT of the thing. When Paul Kantner, the heart, soul and intellect of the band (though never particularly it's meal ticket) left, the soul was irrevocably ripped out of the band. It was WITHOUT QUESTION an entirely different band, same members or no. Without his songs, regardless of the fact that his songs were not he "hits",  there as no trace left of what the band had once been. Even the final album before Paul's departure "Nuclear Furniture" shows the schizophrenia of what the band had been and where it was going. Paul's three epic songs form the nucleus of what could have been a great concept album about a post-nuclear world. Some of Grace's songs were  simpatico with Paul's. The rest of the stuff was Mickey Thomas junk. When Paul left it was all Mickey Thomas junk. Not the same band at all.

I grew up with the Mickey Thomas Starship and the only memory I really associate with the Kantner era was "Jane" which does sound different to the non Kantner stuff.  It's like The Doobie Brothers.  There are many who say that the Michael McDonald era isn't The Doobie Brothers at all, which I get, but it still is and there are alot of hardcore fans who refuse to accept

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/22 at 1:58 am

I am trying to work out did Bob Dylan start out using a different name?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/22 at 10:57 am

The Supremes became Diana Ross & The Supremes.

There was an epidemic of that at Motown for a while. The Miracles became Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and Martha & the Vandellas became Martha Reeves & the Vandellas.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/22 at 10:59 am

I am trying to work out did Bob Dylan start out using a different name?

You mean hs real name Robert Zimmerman or his original alias as "Blind Boy Grunt"? I don't think "Blind Boy Grunt" was ever meant to be too serious. I think he was billed as that on one or two sessions. He very briefly used "Elston Gunn" as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/22 at 11:04 am

You mean hs real name Robert Zimmerman or his original alias as "Blind Boy Grunt"? I don't think "Blind Boy Grunt" was ever meant to be too serious. I think he was billed as that on one or two sessions. He very briefly used "Elston Gunn" as well.
Thank you.

I knew his birth name is Robert Zimmerman (German for carpenter), but I think it was "Elston Gunn" I was trying to find.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/22 at 11:12 am

Smile became Queen in 1971.

Born Farrokh Bulsara, he adopt the name Larry Lurex, but was later to become Freddie Mercury.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/22 at 11:23 am

The Collectors were a Vancouver based band who had 7 hits in Canada between 1967-1970 before changing their name to Chilliwack.
Between 1970-1983, Chilliwack had 19 charting singles in Canada, and between 1973-1982, they charted 7 in the US.  They still continue to tour to this day, but they have not released a studio album since 1984

The Collectors - Fisherwoman (1967)
GB_gwxDjmhU

Chilliwack - Whatcha Gonna Do (When I'm Gone) (1982)
2DVt8K8d4ac

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/22 at 11:58 am

Here's one that (to my knowledge) did not make it out of Canada.  The Pumps formed in 1978 in Winnipeg and released one album in 1980 before changing their name to Orphan, and released 2 more albums, one in 1983 and another in 1985.  While they never had any national hit singles in Canada, the first Pumps and Orphan albums both charted and several of their singles got a fair amount of radio play

Their 1983 single Miracle was on the radio often and to this day, still sounds fantastic!  If I had to make a Top 10 of songs I couldn't live without, it would be in there!

The Pumps - Success (1980)
wHli_W9sIFc

Orphan - Miracle (1983)
6LgaZGF-uZA

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/22 at 3:36 pm

There was Prince who became a symbol:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/ae/bc/f5aebc219c9a4bab87f4bbf26d049b05.jpg

He was then known as "The artist formally known as Prince." And finally going back to Prince.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/22 at 4:03 pm

He was then known as "The artist formally known as Prince." And finally going back to Prince.

Cat

Prince himself didn't come up with or refer to himself as "The artist formerly known as Prince." That was come up with by people because there is no verbalization for a visual symbol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/22 at 4:08 pm

Prince himself didn't come up with or refer to himself as "The artist formerly known as Prince." That was come up with by people because there is no verbalization for a visual symbol.

But he was still known as... But you are right, he did not dub himself that.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/06/22 at 7:56 pm

Cat

But he was still known as... But you are right, he did not dub himself that.

Cat

I remember that. Eventually he went back to simply being called Prince.

Written By: nally on 07/06/22 at 7:58 pm

...and speaking of solo artists who went by different monikers, there's John Mellencamp.

He started recording as Johnny Cougar, then shortened the first name to John; then later in the 1980s he used John Cougar Mellencamp; then by the 1990s he was simply using his first and last name, John Mellencamp. (Personally, I always refer to him that way.)

Written By: Howard on 07/07/22 at 3:29 am

So no one knew what that symbol was called?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/07/22 at 9:19 am

So no one knew what that symbol was called?

Correct. if the symbol had a name, Prince wasn't telling. For a while, some hard core Prince fans thought it might be "Victor", but he put the kibosh on that.

Prince Courts Even More Name Confusion With 'The Sacrifice of Victor'

https://diffuser.fm/prince-the-sacrifice-of-victor/

Change was stirring for Prince in October 1992 when he released an album titled with an unpronounceable symbol. The record became known as the Love Symbol Album, and before long Prince became known by a variety of names.

The record, Prince's 14th overall and the second credited to Prince and the New Power Generation, was rife with religious and biblical allusions, while also offering a loose account of his life, however fictionalized. But when confusion soon abounded about Prince's changing identity, the public grasped whatever they could, and suddenly the album seemed to blur the lines between fact and fiction a bit too well.

The Love Symbol Album begins with "My Name Is Prince," on which he sings "In the beginning God made the sea / But on the seventh day he made me." But eight months before he changed his name to the symbol that graced the record — what appeared to be intertwined designations for male and female — he announces on the final track, "The Sacrifice of the Victor," that "When I reach my destination / My name will be Victor."

Seems simple enough, right? The album represented his metamorphosis. For the media and the public, who were looking for a way to discuss the man and his music, they assigned him a number of identifiers. They resorted to The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, and eventually, The Artist. But for a time, they also tried out "Victor." Some even went so far as to break down the symbol, showing how its pieces can be reconfigured to form the letters V-I-C-T-O-R. But while the song, an upbeat track influenced, by lyrically and musically by gospel, seems to follow an exaggerated account of Prince's life — including his history with seizures, child abuse, courting former wife Mayte and more — and sacrifices, it's more likely that he intended the phase as yet another allusion: this time to a play on the proverb "to the victor go the spoils." When listeners found such identifications book-ending the record, however, they assigned it greater, literal meaning.

But they were wrong. On his Act II tour, which began shortly after he changed his name, he regularly proclaimed, "My name ain't Prince, and it damn well ain't Victor," a phrase captured in London for the video The Sacrifice of the Victor, which featured a condensed version of an aftershow — although he doesn't perform the song.

Seven years later, Prince very simply explained his name change to Larry King: He was finding religion. "I wanted to move to a new plateau in my life and one of the ways in which I did that was to change my name, to sort of divorce me from the past," but he wasn't telling the whole story. At the time, Prince had also wanted out of his contract with Warner Bros. He not only changed his name, but also began performing with the word "slave" written on his cheek, before returning to his original moniker when he left the label.

Written By: nally on 07/07/22 at 11:50 pm

Aly & AJ - a duo of sisters (Alyson and Amanda Joy Michalka) that started out as a teen pop act in the mid-2000s - changed their band name to 78violet (read as "seventy-eight violet"; not sure of the meaning behind it) in 2009 for the purpose of moving to a new record label. Six years later, in 2015, they decided to revert to their original name.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/09/22 at 9:42 am

Here's an obvious one I should have thought of right away.

Tyrannosaurus Rex changed their name to T. Rex to make it easier for all concerned. Also, The Strawberry Hill Boys became The Strawbs as their sound changed and evolved.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/22 at 9:00 pm

Tom Cochrane is a singer from Manitoba who is best known for his 1991 hit Life Is A Highway.  Prior to that song, he was the lead singer for the band Red Rider.  From 1979-1984, they released 4 albums and 9 singles with varying degrees of success in Canada and on the US Rock chart (plus 2 on the US Hot 100).  Their highest charting single on the US Hot 100 was White Hot which peaked at #48 in 1980

A9Iqg2oP2_s

In 1986, the band changed their name to Tom Cochrane and Red Rider and released 2 more studio albums (plus 1 live album) and a further 11 singles, 4 of which charted on the US Rock chart, the biggest of which was Big League in 1988 which peaked at #4

eoDDnOUKDQI

While Tom Cochrane still remains known in the US as a one hit wonder for Life As A Highway, he did have other hits with Red Rider, and here in Canada, it's since been basically lumped in all as one.  Red Rider is Tom Cochrane more or less and he is officially considered a Legend

Check for new replies or respond here...