inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alternate Versions of Popular Songs

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/22 at 4:40 am

Sometimes artists will re-record or release alternate versions of songs in different countries, or even the same country for any number of reasons.  Know of any?

Here is one I have mentioned before in a different topic about same song, different title...

Pale Shelter (You Don't Give Me Love) is a 1982 failed single in the UK.  The song finally became a hit in 1983 when it was re-recorded and released as Pale Shelter and reached the UK Top 5.

BUfcT5OoP-8

For whatever reason which I still have not been able to learn why, they chose not to release the single in the US, but they did in Canada under a unique edit of the original recording of Pale Shelter (You Don't Give Me Love) and it became their first Top 20 hit on the Canadian chart.  Whenever I hear this song on the radio today or see the video on TV, it is always the re-recorded version as heard on the album, and the memories I have of hearing the song are the same.  The first time I learned of this special edit was when I found the 45 at a record store many years ago  and was taken aback why it sounded so different

lIm65ZvKhiQ

Subject: Re: Alternate Versions of Popular Songs

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/11/22 at 9:06 am

Isn't this topic very, VERY similar to this one?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48211.0

Check for new replies or respond here...