inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Singles only released in certain countries

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/22 at 7:57 pm

Sometimes a popular band or singer will release a song as a single in only select countries or maybe just one country.  I always find it odd/interesting when this happens.  Here is one to begin...

In 1975, ABBA released Bang-A-Boomerang which became a single only in France.  Not sure why just that one country.  This is a really great song, and it has a music video (or promo clip as it was known then) which was rare at the time for a song to have.

_CsJCa2TlXU

Subject: Re: Singles only released in certain countries

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/22 at 8:16 pm

In 1983, Hall and Oates released a cover of Mike Oldfield's 1982 song Family Man as the 3rd single from their album H2O, however they chose not to release it in Canada because the Oldfield original had been a Top 40 hit and the duo were afraid because of that, their version wouldn't sell.  In its place, we got the John Oates sung Italian Girls and it peaked at #24

UXjcFkYPESo

If I am honest, I thought Italian Girls was the better single as you don't really hear Oates doing lead on many of their songs.  I like H&O's version of Family Man, but the voice of Maggie Reilly on the Oldfield original just makes the song sound better

Check for new replies or respond here...