inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the best way to understand the atmosphere of a particular time frame?

Written By: anemoiasorrow on 08/12/22 at 12:57 am

I'm curious to know which are the best ways to figure out and truly understand what a certain year or decade was like if not alive for it. Sure, there are the major events associated with each year, but I'm talking more better understanding a time frame's general atmosphere. How would I go about trying to do this?

Subject: Re: What is the best way to understand the atmosphere of a particular time frame?

Written By: JacobThePlante on 08/12/22 at 3:21 am

reading other people's experiences like on websites like this, watching home videos from that time period if you can find any. Other than that I say music's the best time machine

Subject: Re: What is the best way to understand the atmosphere of a particular time frame?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/22 at 12:47 am

I'm curious to know which are the best ways to figure out and truly understand what a certain year or decade was like if not alive for it. Sure, there are the major events associated with each year, but I'm talking more better understanding a time frame's general atmosphere. How would I go about trying to do this?
Research in a good large library with all the books available.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/22 at 12:48 am

reading other people's experiences like on websites like this, watching home videos from that time period if you can find any. Other than that I say music's the best time machine
My flux capacitor is broken.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 12:02 pm

A good example is like 1983 to 1985.
I would post a picture of Michael Jackson, then a picture of movies like Ghostbusters and/or Back to the future. Perhaps a collage of fashion like a 15 year old girl dressing like Madonna. And listing trends for this era would be great. Trends such as the mullet hair.

Check for new replies or respond here...