inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Masterpiece Songs

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/23 at 8:17 am

Are there songs that you basically cannot live without?  A song so good that you would consider it a masterpiece?  What are some of your favourites?

Subject: Re: Masterpiece Songs

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/23 at 8:24 am

I will begin with one from 1990 called All Together Now by British group The Farm.  It is a dance song built around the chord progression of the classical piece Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel.  Over the years, lots of artists have used that same classical piece in their songs, but this one is my absolute favourite!  Such a relaxing beat, you can dance to it, or you can just sit back and chillout.  I could listen to this one all day!

iRgtzZ-mOQo

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/05/23 at 11:20 am

I never thought I'd post this song before something like "Hey Jude", but I've been thinking lately how well done it really is. It's gorgeously lyrical, the music and arrangement are terrific, the performance is great.  Nothing can be improved. Call it an unexpected masterpiece.

Rod Stewart
"Mandolin Wind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCLTWRFVyI

OK, NOW "Hey Jude". No explanation necessary.

The Beatles
"Hey Jude"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQER0A0ej0M

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/23 at 9:08 am

Here is Africa by Toto from 1983.  This song needs no introduction as anyone who knows this song knows how awesome it is! 

Trivia:  Mike Porcaro can be seen in the video playing bass guitar, however the bass was actually performed by David Hungate, who had left the band shortly before the release of the album it appears on.  Porcaro would serve as Hungate's replacement until his retirement in 2007 due to ALS, which he sadly succumbed to in 2015 

FTQbiNvZqaY

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/23 at 9:12 am

I will begin with one from 1990 called All Together Now by British group The Farm.  It is a dance song built around the chord progression of the classical piece Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel.  Over the years, lots of artists have used that same classical piece in their songs, but this one is my absolute favourite!  Such a relaxing beat, you can dance to it, or you can just sit back and chillout.  I could listen to this one all day!

Classic song.

I always try and recognise the chords used in Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel in other songs. There is Aphrodite's Child's "Rain And Tears" from 1968, and literally, just one chord out, either to major or to minor, in Ralph's McTell's "Streets of London".

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/23 at 9:15 am

I think there is a topic on the use of Pachelbel's Canon in D in songs on the boards

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/23 at 11:11 am

I think there is a topic on the use of Pachelbel's Canon in D in songs on the boards

I recall starting one on classical music in general used in modern songs

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/23 at 11:18 am

I recall starting one on classical music in general used in modern songs
Thank you.

That must be the one I was thinking off. Now I have to find it..

For reference, I have found it!

Modern songs based on classical music
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27378.0

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 03/07/23 at 6:01 am

Classic song.

I always try and recognise the chords used in Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel in other songs. There is Aphrodite's Child's "Rain And Tears" from 1968, and literally, just one chord out, either to major or to minor, in Ralph's McTell's "Streets of London".

Have you seen this video?

_PC6jwoHyOk

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/23 at 6:04 am

_PC6jwoHyOk

Not yet, and thank. It will be watched in due course of time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/23 at 1:34 pm

_PC6jwoHyOk

Very interesting video. It took me back to my Music Theory class that I took back in the dark ages.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/23 at 6:34 pm

Here is The Chauffer by Duran Duran.  It is the final track off their 1982 album Rio.  I believe this song should have been the 5th single from the album, or (if I am honest), a single in place of Save A Prayer (not that I hate that song, just if only 4 singles could come from the album, that's the one I'd pick to be replaced). 

Despite not being released as a single, a music video was filmed for it, but it contains nudity, so I won't post that version.  This song is so good, I could listen to it all day!

vQnSS3H-I5U

Check for new replies or respond here...