» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Re: ninny's Person & Word of the Day

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 9:53 am

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/40/83413360_86d42db0d5_m.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 10:26 am

The only film I can recall seeing of Claudette Colbert  is It Happened One Night

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 1:58 pm

The co-person of the day...Buffalo Bob Smith

... died in Hendersonville, North Carolina in 1998. three days before Shari Lewis the creator of Lamb Chop

Now that is curious?

Written By: ninny on 07/30/09 at 3:18 pm

Now that is curious?

I was going to say maybe it was the puppet connection they had, but I see she had uterine cancer, so it was just a coincidence.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 3:19 pm

I was going to say maybe it was the puppet connection they had, but I see she had uterine cancer, so it was just a coincidence.
Did she see him as a form of mentor?

Written By: gibbo on 07/30/09 at 4:22 pm

The only film I can recall seeing of Claudette Colbert  is It Happened One Night

I saw her on stage (in Brisbane) co-starring with Rex Harrison, back in the late 80's. I remember in a few movies (but none come to mind as I type).. :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 07/30/09 at 4:24 pm

Brides in underwear (at the ceremony)!!!  :o  This shows a great disrespect for the ceremony and ocassion itself...and is tacky (includes 3rd pic in ninny's montage)! Other than that ....Va Va Va Voom!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 4:41 pm

I saw her on stage (in Brisbane) co-starring with Rex Harrison, back in the late 80's. I remember in a few movies (but none come to mind as I type).. :-\\
Did she still have her charm?

Written By: Howard on 07/30/09 at 5:54 pm

Was Mama Cass always overweight? ???

Written By: gibbo on 07/30/09 at 6:54 pm

I beleive she was chubby as a baby!  ;)

Written By: Womble on 07/30/09 at 8:03 pm

Hey, Ninny! You really out-did yourself this time! You touched on three of my favorite people! Claudet Colbert (Loved her in the "Egg and I"), David Niven ("Old Dracula"), and especially Mama Cass Elliot. I love her song "Different". Thanks, Ninny and 3 Cheers to ya'!  :) :) :)

Written By: ninny on 07/30/09 at 9:37 pm

Hey, Ninny! You really out-did yourself this time! You touched on three of my favorite people! Claudet Colbert (Loved her in the "Egg and I"), David Niven ("Old Dracula"), and especially Mama Cass Elliot. I love her song "Different". Thanks, Ninny and 3 Cheers to ya'!  :) :) :)

I'm glad you liked my choices :)

Written By: ninny on 07/30/09 at 9:39 pm

Brides in underwear (at the ceremony)!!!  :o   This shows a great disrespect for the ceremony and ocassion itself...and is tacky (includes 3rd pic in ninny's montage)! Other than that ....Va Va Va Voom!  ::)

:-[ I never noticed umm her unique dress till now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 11:34 pm

It was the way she was.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 11:34 pm

I beleive she was chubby as a baby!  ;)
Chubby, that is the word I was looking for.

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:07 am

The word of the day...wall(s)
  1.  An upright structure of masonry, wood, plaster, or other building material serving to enclose, divide, or protect an area, especially a vertical construction forming an inner partition or exterior siding of a building.
  2. A continuous structure of masonry or other material forming a rampart and built for defensive purposes. Often used in the plural.
  3. A structure of stonework, cement, or other material built to retain a flow of water.
        1. Something resembling a wall in appearance, function, or construction, as the exterior surface of a body organ or part: the abdominal wall.
        2. Something resembling a wall in impenetrability or strength: a wall of silence; a wall of fog.
        3. An extreme or desperate condition or position, such as defeat or ruin: driven to the wall by poverty.
  5. Sports. The vertical surface of an ocean wave in surfing.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x46/14u2ok/SAYINGS/walls.jpg
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae61/affordableconcrete09/walls.gif
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/sosterdyk/DSC06216.jpg
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx180/newmanew/DSCN3291.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/marinelzen/Japan/Himeji/DSC01800.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/mlau123/Cemetery/P1010823.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/kellyinireland/North%20Coast/CIMG1438.jpg
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/Acrid-Rapture/France166.jpg

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:12 am

The person of the day...Jim Reeves
James Travis Reeves (August 20, 1923 – July 31, 1964) was an American country and pop music singer-songwriter popular in the 1950s and 1960s who also gained a wide international following for his pioneering smooth Nashville sound. Known as Gentleman Jim, his songs continued to chart for years following his death at age 40 in a private airplane crash. He is a member of the Country Music and Texas Country Music halls of fame.
Reeves' first country hits included "I Love You Because" (a duet with Ginny Wright), "Mexican Joe", "Bimbo" and other songs on both Fabor Records and Abbott Records. He recorded only one album for Abbott, 1955's Jim Reeves Sings (Abbott 5001). Eventually he tired of the novelty bracket he had been forced into, and left for RCA Victor. In 1955, Reeves was signed to a 10-year recording contract by Stephen Sholes, who produced some of Reeves' first recordings at RCA and signed Elvis Presley for the label that same year.

In his earliest RCA recordings, Reeves was still singing in the loud style of his first recordings, considered standard for country & western performers at that time. He softened his volume, using a lower pitch and singing with lips nearly touching the microphone, but ran into some resistance at RCA; until in 1957, with the support of his producer Chet Atkins, he used this style on his version of a demo song of lost love, written from a woman's perspective (and intended for a female singer). "Four Walls" not only took top position on the country charts, but went to number eleven on the popular charts. Reeves had not only opened the door to wider acceptance for other country singers, but also helped usher in a new style of country music, using violins and lusher background arrangements soon called the Nashville sound.

Reeves became known as a crooner because of his warm, velvety voice. His songs were remarkable for their simple elegance highlighted by his rich light baritone voice. Songs such as "Adios Amigo," "Welcome To My World", and "Am I Losing You?" demonstrated this approach. His Christmas songs have been perennial favorites, including "Silver Bells," "Blue Christmas" and "An Old Christmas Card."
Reeves toured Britain and Ireland in 1963 between his tours of South Africa and Europe. Reeves and The Blue Boys were in Ireland from May 30 to June 19, 1963; with a tour of US military bases from June 10 to June 15, when they returned to Ireland. They performed in most counties in Ireland, though Reeves occasionally cut performances short because he was unhappy with the piano. In a June 6, 1963 interview with Spotlight magazine, Reeves expressed his concerns about the tour schedule and the condition of the pianos, but said he was pleased with the audiences.

He planned to record an album of popular Irish songs, and had three number one songs in Ireland in 1963 and 1964: "Welcome to My World," "I Love You Because," and "I Won't Forget You." Reeves had 11 songs in the Irish charts from 1962 to 1967. He recorded two Irish ballads, "Danny Boy" and "Maureen."

He was permitted to perform in Ireland by the Irish Federation of Musicians on the condition that he share the bill with Irish show bands, becoming popular by 1963. The British Federation of Musicians would not permit him to perform there because no agreement existed for British show bands to travel to America in exchange for the Blue Boys playing in Great Britain. Reeves, however, appeared on British radio and TV programs
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/wilka/reeves-guitaronstage.gif
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/bke_album/JimReeves.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/Dipsy_Doodle/jimreeves.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss128/Glynda_az/JimReeves.jpg

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:17 am

The co-person of the day...Franz Liszt
Franz Liszt (Hungarian: Liszt Ferenc, pronounced ) (October 22, 1811 – July 31, 1886) was a world famous Hungarian composer, virtuoso pianist and teacher.

Liszt became renowned throughout Europe for his great skill as a performer during the 19th century. He is said to have been the most technically advanced and perhaps greatest pianist of all time. He was also an important and influential composer, a notable piano teacher, a conductor who contributed significantly to the modern development of the art, and a benefactor to other composers and performers, notably Richard Wagner, Hector Berlioz, Camille Saint-Saëns, Edvard Grieg and Alexander Borodin.

As a composer, Liszt was one of the most prominent representatives of the "Neudeutsche Schule" ("New German School"). He left behind a huge and diverse body of work, in which he influenced his forward-looking contemporaries and anticipated some 20th-century ideas and trends. Some of his most notable contributions were the invention of the symphonic poem, developing the concept of thematic transformation as part of his experiments in musical form and making radical departures in harmony
iszt was a prolific composer. Most of his music is for the piano and much of it requires formidable technique. His thoroughly revised masterwork, Années de Pèlerinage ("Years of Pilgrimage") includes arguably his most provocative and stirring pieces. This set of three suites ranges from the virtuosity of the Suisse Orage (Storm) to the subtle and imaginative visualisations of artworks by Michelangelo and Raphael in the second set. Années contains some pieces which are loose transcriptions of Liszt's own earlier compositions; the first "year" recreates his early pieces of Album d'un voyageur, while the second book includes a resetting of his own song transcriptions once separately published as Tre sonetti di Petrarca ("Three sonnets of Petrarch"). The relative obscurity of the vast majority of his works may be explained by the immense number of pieces he composed.

In his most famous and virtuosic works, he is the archetypal Romantic composer. Liszt pioneered the technique of thematic transformation, a method of development which was related to both the existing variation technique and to the new use of the Leitmotif by Richard Wagner.

Liszt's piano works are usually divided into two classes. On the one hand, there are "original works", and on the other hand "transcriptions", "paraphrases" or "fantasies" on works by other composers. Examples for the first class are works such as the piece Harmonies poétiques et religieuses of May 1833 and the Piano Sonata in B minor. Liszt's transcriptions of Schubert songs, his fantasies on operatic melodies, and his piano arrangements of symphonies by Berlioz and Beethoven are examples for the second class. As special case, Liszt also made piano arrangements of own instrumental and vocal works. Examples of this kind are the arrangement of the second movement "Gretchen" of his Faust Symphony and the first "Mephisto Waltz" as well as the "Liebesträume No.3" and the two volumes of his "Buch der Lieder".
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/band-music/liszt.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr107/alberichn/liszt-7.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:18 am

The word of the day...wall(s)
  1.  An upright structure of masonry, wood, plaster, or other building material serving to enclose, divide, or protect an area, especially a vertical construction forming an inner partition or exterior siding of a building.
  2. A continuous structure of masonry or other material forming a rampart and built for defensive purposes. Often used in the plural.
  3. A structure of stonework, cement, or other material built to retain a flow of water.
        1. Something resembling a wall in appearance, function, or construction, as the exterior surface of a body organ or part: the abdominal wall.
        2. Something resembling a wall in impenetrability or strength: a wall of silence; a wall of fog.
        3. An extreme or desperate condition or position, such as defeat or ruin: driven to the wall by poverty.
  5. Sports. The vertical surface of an ocean wave in surfing.
http://www.aliceholt.org/hadrians_wall.png

Hadrian's Wall (Latin: perhaps Vallum Aelium, "the Aelian wall") is a stone and turf fortification built by the Roman Empire across the width of what is now northern England. Begun in 122, during the rule of emperor Hadrian, it was the middle of three such fortifications built across Great Britain, the first being from the River Clyde to the River Forth under Gnaeus Julius Agricola and the last the Antonine Wall.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:19 am

James Travis Reeves (August 20, 1923 – July 31, 1964) was an American country and pop music singer-songwriter popular in the 1950s and 1960s who also gained a wide international following for his pioneering smooth Nashville sound. Known as Gentleman Jim, his songs continued to chart for years following his death at age 40 in a private airplane crash. He is a member of the Country Music and Texas Country Music halls of fame.
Reeves' first country hits included "I Love You Because" (a duet with Ginny Wright), "Mexican Joe", "Bimbo" and other songs on both Fabor Records and Abbott Records. He recorded only one album for Abbott, 1955's Jim Reeves Sings (Abbott 5001). Eventually he tired of the novelty bracket he had been forced into, and left for RCA Victor. In 1955, Reeves was signed to a 10-year recording contract by Stephen Sholes, who produced some of Reeves' first recordings at RCA and signed Elvis Presley for the label that same year.

In his earliest RCA recordings, Reeves was still singing in the loud style of his first recordings, considered standard for country & western performers at that time. He softened his volume, using a lower pitch and singing with lips nearly touching the microphone, but ran into some resistance at RCA; until in 1957, with the support of his producer Chet Atkins, he used this style on his version of a demo song of lost love, written from a woman's perspective (and intended for a female singer). "Four Walls" not only took top position on the country charts, but went to number eleven on the popular charts. Reeves had not only opened the door to wider acceptance for other country singers, but also helped usher in a new style of country music, using violins and lusher background arrangements soon called the Nashville sound.

Reeves became known as a crooner because of his warm, velvety voice. His songs were remarkable for their simple elegance highlighted by his rich light baritone voice. Songs such as "Adios Amigo," "Welcome To My World", and "Am I Losing You?" demonstrated this approach. His Christmas songs have been perennial favorites, including "Silver Bells," "Blue Christmas" and "An Old Christmas Card."
Reeves toured Britain and Ireland in 1963 between his tours of South Africa and Europe. Reeves and The Blue Boys were in Ireland from May 30 to June 19, 1963; with a tour of US military bases from June 10 to June 15, when they returned to Ireland. They performed in most counties in Ireland, though Reeves occasionally cut performances short because he was unhappy with the piano. In a June 6, 1963 interview with Spotlight magazine, Reeves expressed his concerns about the tour schedule and the condition of the pianos, but said he was pleased with the audiences.

He planned to record an album of popular Irish songs, and had three number one songs in Ireland in 1963 and 1964: "Welcome to My World," "I Love You Because," and "I Won't Forget You." Reeves had 11 songs in the Irish charts from 1962 to 1967. He recorded two Irish ballads, "Danny Boy" and "Maureen."

He was permitted to perform in Ireland by the Irish Federation of Musicians on the condition that he share the bill with Irish show bands, becoming popular by 1963. The British Federation of Musicians would not permit him to perform there because no agreement existed for British show bands to travel to America in exchange for the Blue Boys playing in Great Britain. Reeves, however, appeared on British radio and TV programs
Jim Reeves was one the singer I really got to like when I a young boy back in the 60's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:21 am

"Welcome To My World" is played all the time on commercial tv for it is being used for advertising a building society.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:22 am

The co-person of the day...Franz Liszt
Franz Liszt (Hungarian: Liszt Ferenc, pronounced ) (October 22, 1811 – July 31, 1886) was a world famous Hungarian composer, virtuoso pianist and teacher.

Liszt became renowned throughout Europe for his great skill as a performer during the 19th century. He is said to have been the most technically advanced and perhaps greatest pianist of all time. He was also an important and influential composer, a notable piano teacher, a conductor who contributed significantly to the modern development of the art, and a benefactor to other composers and performers, notably Richard Wagner, Hector Berlioz, Camille Saint-Saëns, Edvard Grieg and Alexander Borodin.

As a composer, Liszt was one of the most prominent representatives of the "Neudeutsche Schule" ("New German School"). He left behind a huge and diverse body of work, in which he influenced his forward-looking contemporaries and anticipated some 20th-century ideas and trends. Some of his most notable contributions were the invention of the symphonic poem, developing the concept of thematic transformation as part of his experiments in musical form and making radical departures in harmony
iszt was a prolific composer. Most of his music is for the piano and much of it requires formidable technique. His thoroughly revised masterwork, Années de Pèlerinage ("Years of Pilgrimage") includes arguably his most provocative and stirring pieces. This set of three suites ranges from the virtuosity of the Suisse Orage (Storm) to the subtle and imaginative visualisations of artworks by Michelangelo and Raphael in the second set. Années contains some pieces which are loose transcriptions of Liszt's own earlier compositions; the first "year" recreates his early pieces of Album d'un voyageur, while the second book includes a resetting of his own song transcriptions once separately published as Tre sonetti di Petrarca ("Three sonnets of Petrarch"). The relative obscurity of the vast majority of his works may be explained by the immense number of pieces he composed.

In his most famous and virtuosic works, he is the archetypal Romantic composer. Liszt pioneered the technique of thematic transformation, a method of development which was related to both the existing variation technique and to the new use of the Leitmotif by Richard Wagner.

Liszt's piano works are usually divided into two classes. On the one hand, there are "original works", and on the other hand "transcriptions", "paraphrases" or "fantasies" on works by other composers. Examples for the first class are works such as the piece Harmonies poétiques et religieuses of May 1833 and the Piano Sonata in B minor. Liszt's transcriptions of Schubert songs, his fantasies on operatic melodies, and his piano arrangements of symphonies by Berlioz and Beethoven are examples for the second class. As special case, Liszt also made piano arrangements of own instrumental and vocal works. Examples of this kind are the arrangement of the second movement "Gretchen" of his Faust Symphony and the first "Mephisto Waltz" as well as the "Liebesträume No.3" and the two volumes of his "Buch der Lieder".
Which brings us back to Tom & Jerry and Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.2.

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:27 am

The flower for Friday...Amaryllis
  1.  Any of several chiefly tropical American bulbous plants of the genus Hippeastrum grown as ornamentals for their large, showy, funnel-shaped, variously colored flowers that are grouped in umbels.
  2. See belladonna lily.
  3. Any of several similar or related plants.
  4. Amaryllis Used in classical pastoral poetry as a conventional name for a shepherdess.
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu63/larry4050/Amaryllis03-08036.jpg
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/kelly_sue_/Moms%20house/IMG_1226.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/tenderlee/Garden%202009/WhalePoolTrainRide014.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/Surfrunner11/amaryllis2.jpg
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww324/Crueltyfre/Yard%20and%20Garden%20Pictures/3-29-06009.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb143/amaryllisj/amaryllis.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/acraig3_photos/amaryllis.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:28 am

Franz Liszt was here.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2739540453_19f3b5bd87_m.jpg
P
Famous Hungarian composer Franz Liszt had been to Bratislava (called either Pressburg (German) or Pozsony (Hungarian) in his day), and this plaque commemorates his association with the city.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:31 am

There is a plaque to Franz Liszt in Great Marlborough Street London, but I cannot find a piture of it.

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:33 am

Jim Reeves was one the singer I really got to like when I a young boy back in the 60's.

I don't remember him that much, other than my parents liked him.
Phil what is this about..
Does that mean they were not allowed to tour or do live shows?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:37 am

Curious. I can only assume that the Republic of Ireland had no agreement with the British, just look at the history between the two countries.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:38 am

Paul (the member here) may know more on this?

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:40 am

Curious. I can only assume that the Republic of Ireland had no agreement with the British, just look at the history between the two countries.

Yes the love is overwhelming back then ;D ..I hope things have gotten better.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:42 am

Yes the love is overwhelming back then ;D ..I hope things have gotten better.
Things have got better since then, it has taken over 200 years to...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:44 am

I have fond memories of singing "He'll Have to Go" on Karaoke.

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:47 am

Things have got better since then, it has taken over 200 years to...

Was it the Catholic -Protestant that caused the problems?

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 6:49 am

I have fond memories of singing "He'll Have to Go" on Karaoke.

I have been listening to him on YouTube, I just listened to Distant Drums

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 6:54 am

Was it the Catholic -Protestant that caused the problems?
You can say that.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 7:10 am

Pink Floyd-Brick In The Wall.

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 7:11 am

Pink Floyd-Brick In The Wall.

Classic :)

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 7:12 am

One of their best hits.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 7:14 am

Great video

Written By: Paul on 07/31/09 at 7:17 am

Paul (the member here) may know more on this?

I've already tried to explain this to Phil...not sure whether I was as clear as mud!

Even so, I'm working on assumptions...

The British Federation of Musicians was something of a 'union', protecting its members' interests and when it came to performances in this country, I think their rule was some British musicians had to be used in accompanying an overseas performer.

Jim could presumably appear on his own if British musicians were used as accompaniment, but it looks like his own US backing band playing alongside him was a no-no...

However, I would have thought that this rule would have been relaxed by 1963...

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 7:17 am

Great video

You can't have any pudding,if you don't eat your meat.

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 8:42 am

I've already tried to explain this to Phil...not sure whether I was as clear as mud!

Even so, I'm working on assumptions...

The British Federation of Musicians was something of a 'union', protecting its members' interests and when it came to performances in this country, I think their rule was some British musicians had to be used in accompanying an overseas performer.

Jim could presumably appear on his own if British musicians were used as accompaniment, but it looks like his own US backing band playing alongside him was a no-no...

However, I would have thought that this rule would have been relaxed by 1963...

Thanks Paul :)..so if Mr. Reeves had agreed to use British Musicians then he could of appeared live and toured the countryside. I wonder why they let him appear on TV.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 10:06 am

Thanks Paul :)..so if Mr. Reeves had agreed to use British Musicians then he could of appeared live and toured the countryside. I wonder why they let him appear on TV.
....welcome to their world?

Written By: ninny on 07/31/09 at 2:36 pm

Hello Walls - Faron Young
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSWAUAKJn0#

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 2:47 pm

Off The Wall ~ Michael Jasckson

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 2:53 pm

I have been listening to him on YouTube, I just listened to Distant Drums
He'll Have To Go was Jim Reeves' first hit in the UK back in 1960.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 2:53 pm

He'll Have To Go was Jim Reeves' first hit in the UK back in 1960.
...and I am listening to it right now.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 3:41 pm

Off The Wall ~ Michael Jasckson

One of his best.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 3:41 pm

One of his best.
The album has sold very well over the last month or so.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/09 at 3:44 pm

The album has sold very well over the last month or so.

That's suprising.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 5:19 pm

That's suprising.  :o
Record stores were totally sold out of MJ stock.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 5:20 pm

Record stores were totally sold out of MJ stock.
I wonder did the same happen when Jim Reeves died?

Written By: gibbo on 07/31/09 at 5:36 pm

Did she still have her charm?

They were both great... (Harrison and Colbert)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 5:38 pm

They were both great... (Harrison and Colbert)
Shame that a live show cannot be recorded.

Written By: gibbo on 07/31/09 at 5:40 pm

Can't say I ever heard any of Jim Reeves music. Probaly did ....but didn't realize it at the time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 5:43 pm

Can't say I ever heard any of Jim Reeves music. Probaly did ....but didn't realize it at the time!
When you hear him, you will know who he is.

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 4:56 am

The word of the day...Communicate
        1. To convey information about; make known; impart: communicated his views to our office.
        2. To reveal clearly; manifest: Her disapproval communicated itself in her frown.
  2. To spread (a disease, for example) to others; transmit: a carrier who communicated typhus.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab94/REagle14/Design%20Portfolio/PolysonicsServicePack2009_04-16_-3.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/Neelix89/communicate.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/pink_hippo_photos/communicate.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/TattooedJules/Communicate.gif
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/MONERA75/communicate.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa277/SmashKat/Communicate.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/belldandy157/mbcn562l.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/VegrandisPresul/LVB/communicate2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/simplyzanny/BDAY/IMG_0342.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 5:11 am

The person of the day...Strother Martin
Strother Martin (March 26, 1919–August 1, 1980) was an American actor in numerous films and television programs. Martin is perhaps best known as the prison "captain" in the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke, where he uttered the classic line, "What we've got here is failure to communicate
After the war, Martin moved to Los Angeles and worked as a swimming instructor and as a swimming extra in water scenes in films, eventually earning bit roles in a number of pictures. He quickly became a frequent fixture in small character roles in movies and television through the 1950s, having appeared in such programs as the Emmy Award-nominated Frontier on NBC and the syndicated American Civil War drama Gray Ghost. He appeared in the first Brian Keith series, Crusader, a Cold War drama. In 1960, Martin guest starred in James Whitmore's crime drama, The Law and Mr. Jones on ABC. In 1966, he appeared twice as "Cousin Fletch" in the short-lived ABC comedy western The Rounders, with Ron Hayes, Patrick Wayne, and Chill Wills.

Martin's distinctive, reedy voice and menacing demeanor made him ideal for villainous roles in many of the best-known Westerns of the 1960s and 1970s, including The Horse Soldiers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. By the late 1960s, Martin was almost as well-known a figure as many top-billed stars. In 1967, he appeared in the episode "A Mighty Hunter Before the Lord" of NBC's The Road West series starring Barry Sullivan.

Martin appeared in all three of the classic Westerns released in 1969: Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (as Coffer, a bloodthirsty bounty hunter); George Roy Hill's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (as Percy Garris, the "colorful" Bolivian mine boss who hires the two title characters); and Henry Hathaway's True Grit (as Colonel Stonehill, a horse dealer). He frequently acted alongside L. Q. Jones, who in real life was one of his closest friends.

Though he usually appeared in supporting roles, he had major parts in Hannie Caulder, The Brotherhood of Satan (both 1971), and SSSSSSS (1973). Martin later appeared in another classic George Roy Hill film, Slap Shot (1977), again with Paul Newman, as the cheap manager of the Charlestown Chiefs hockey club. He appeared six times each with both John Wayne and Paul Newman. Strother Martin can also be seen in Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke (1978) as Arnold Stoner, the father of Tommy Chong's character Anthony.

He also appeared in numerous television shows. In I Love Lucy he played a store clerk when Lucy traveled to Florida. In the Gunsmoke episode "Island in the Desert", he starred as a crazy desert hermit named Ben Snow. In 1963, he appeared in Glynis Johns's short-lived comedy series Glynis in the episode "Ten Cents a Dance". In 1965, Martin appeared in the episode "Most Precious Gold" of the NBC comedy/drama series Kentucky Jones, starring Dennis Weaver. In 1965, he guest starred as Meeker in the episode "Return to Lawrence" on the ABC western The Legend of Jesse James. On a Gilligan's Island episode, Martin played a man living supposedly alone on the island for a radio show contest. He also starred in a two part The Rockford Files 1977 episode as T.T. Flowers, an episode that took on urban invasion and the environment. One of his last acting jobs was as host of Saturday Night Live on April 19, 1980. His episode was supposed to be rerun during the summer of 1980, but was pulled and replaced with another episode due to his death.

Martin was married to wife Helen from 1967 until his death. He died of a heart attack in 1980 at the age of 61.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/otto_x/strother.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/grandsecretary/StrotherMartin.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/hootlebug/Cool-Hand-Luke.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 5:14 am

The co-person of the day...Frances Farmer
Frances Elena Farmer (September 19, 1913 – August 1, 1970) was an American actress of stage and screen. She is perhaps better known for sensationalized and fictional accounts of her life, and especially her involuntary commitment to a mental hospital. Farmer was the subject of three films, three books, and numerous songs and magazine articles.
Farmer was not entirely satisfied with her career, however. She felt stifled by Paramount's tendency to cast her in films which depended on her looks more than her talent. Her outspoken style made her seem uncooperative and contemptuous. In an age when the studios dictated every facet of a star's life, Farmer rebelled against the studio's control and resisted every attempt they made to glamorize her private life. She refused to attend Hollywood parties or to date other stars for the gossip columns. However, Farmer was sympathetically described in a 1937 Colliers article as being indifferent about the clothing she wore and was said to drive an older-model "green roadster."

Hoping to enhance her reputation as a serious actress, she left Hollywood in 1937 to do summer stock on the East Coast. There she attracted the attention of director Harold Clurman and playwright Clifford Odets. They invited her to appear in the Group Theatre production of Odets' play Golden Boy. Her performance at first received mixed reviews, with Time magazine commenting that she had been miscast. Due to Farmer's box office appeal, however, the play became the biggest hit in the Group's history. By 1938, when the production had embarked on a national tour, regional critics from Washington D.C. to Chicago gave her rave reviews.
Farmer with Tyrone Power in Son of Fury (1942).

Farmer had an affair with Odets, but he was married to actress Luise Rainer and didn't offer Farmer a commitment. Farmer felt betrayed when Odets suddenly ended the relationship; and when the Group chose another actress for its London run--an actress whose family funded the play--she came to believe that The Group had used her drawing power selfishly to further the success of the play. She returned to Hollywood, and arranged with Paramount to stay in Los Angeles for three months out of every year to make motion pictures. The rest of her time she intended to use for theater. Her next two appearances on Broadway had short runs. Farmer found herself back in Los Angeles, often loaned out by Paramount to other studios for starring roles. At her home studio, meanwhile, she was consigned to costarring appearances, which she often found unchallenging.

By 1939, her temperamental work habits and worsening alcoholism began to damage her reputation. In 1940, after abruptly quitting a Broadway production of a play by Ernest Hemingway, she starred in two major films, both loan-outs to other studios. A year later, however, she was again relegated to co-starring roles. Her performance in the film Son of Fury (1942) was critically praised. In 1942, Paramount canceled her contract, reportedly because of her alcoholism and increasingly erratic behaviour during pre-production of Take A Letter, Darling. Meanwhile, her marriage to Erickson had disintegrated.

Throughout her career, Farmer was frequently announced for projects she did not get to perform. Among the many Paramount films for which she was announced were College Holiday, Hideaway Girl, Spawn of the North, Big Broadcast of 1938, Beau Geste, and Take A Letter, Darling. Preston Sturges apparently wanted Farmer for Sullivan's Travels, but the role ultimately went to Veronica Lake.

From 1944-45, during her initial institutionalizations and releases from Western State Hospital, several news articles quoted producers as offering her the lead in the film The Enchanted Forest and the Broadway play The Incredible Woodhul
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/aloysiahh/farmer-sized.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/prinnie333/1054241603_farmer.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 5:59 am

The word of the day...Communicate
         1. To convey information about; make known; impart: communicated his views to our office.
         2. To reveal clearly; manifest: Her disapproval communicated itself in her frown.
   2. To spread (a disease, for example) to others; transmit: a carrier who communicated typhus.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab94/REagle14/Design%20Portfolio/PolysonicsServicePack2009_04-16_-3.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/Neelix89/communicate.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/pink_hippo_photos/communicate.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/TattooedJules/Communicate.gif
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/MONERA75/communicate.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa277/SmashKat/Communicate.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/belldandy157/mbcn562l.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/VegrandisPresul/LVB/communicate2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/simplyzanny/BDAY/IMG_0342.jpg

not enough communication in this world.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 6:35 am

Plenty with e-mail.

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 6:41 am

Plenty with e-mail.

The easy way to communicate now, that and texting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 6:49 am

On the whole it is the cheapest way to communicate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 6:49 am

Even cheaper if you use someone's computer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 6:50 am

Even cheaper if you use someone's computer.
...and you are getting paid fo rit?

Written By: Frank on 08/01/09 at 1:48 pm

Not enough communication " in person", too many text mails and e-mails.

"It's so funny, how we don't talk anymore"

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 1:55 pm

Yes, the art of conversation is dying.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/01/09 at 2:07 pm

The co-person of the day...Frances Farmer
Frances Elena Farmer (September 19, 1913 – August 1, 1970) was an American actress of stage and screen. She is perhaps better known for sensationalized and fictional accounts of her life, and especially her involuntary commitment to a mental hospital. Farmer was the subject of three films, three books, and numerous songs and magazine articles.
Farmer was not entirely satisfied with her career, however. She felt stifled by Paramount's tendency to cast her in films which depended on her looks more than her talent. Her outspoken style made her seem uncooperative and contemptuous. In an age when the studios dictated every facet of a star's life, Farmer rebelled against the studio's control and resisted every attempt they made to glamorize her private life. She refused to attend Hollywood parties or to date other stars for the gossip columns. However, Farmer was sympathetically described in a 1937 Colliers article as being indifferent about the clothing she wore and was said to drive an older-model "green roadster."

Hoping to enhance her reputation as a serious actress, she left Hollywood in 1937 to do summer stock on the East Coast. There she attracted the attention of director Harold Clurman and playwright Clifford Odets. They invited her to appear in the Group Theatre production of Odets' play Golden Boy. Her performance at first received mixed reviews, with Time magazine commenting that she had been miscast. Due to Farmer's box office appeal, however, the play became the biggest hit in the Group's history. By 1938, when the production had embarked on a national tour, regional critics from Washington D.C. to Chicago gave her rave reviews.
Farmer with Tyrone Power in Son of Fury (1942).

Farmer had an affair with Odets, but he was married to actress Luise Rainer and didn't offer Farmer a commitment. Farmer felt betrayed when Odets suddenly ended the relationship; and when the Group chose another actress for its London run--an actress whose family funded the play--she came to believe that The Group had used her drawing power selfishly to further the success of the play. She returned to Hollywood, and arranged with Paramount to stay in Los Angeles for three months out of every year to make motion pictures. The rest of her time she intended to use for theater. Her next two appearances on Broadway had short runs. Farmer found herself back in Los Angeles, often loaned out by Paramount to other studios for starring roles. At her home studio, meanwhile, she was consigned to costarring appearances, which she often found unchallenging.

By 1939, her temperamental work habits and worsening alcoholism began to damage her reputation. In 1940, after abruptly quitting a Broadway production of a play by Ernest Hemingway, she starred in two major films, both loan-outs to other studios. A year later, however, she was again relegated to co-starring roles. Her performance in the film Son of Fury (1942) was critically praised. In 1942, Paramount canceled her contract, reportedly because of her alcoholism and increasingly erratic behaviour during pre-production of Take A Letter, Darling. Meanwhile, her marriage to Erickson had disintegrated.

Throughout her career, Farmer was frequently announced for projects she did not get to perform. Among the many Paramount films for which she was announced were College Holiday, Hideaway Girl, Spawn of the North, Big Broadcast of 1938, Beau Geste, and Take A Letter, Darling. Preston Sturges apparently wanted Farmer for Sullivan's Travels, but the role ultimately went to Veronica Lake.

From 1944-45, during her initial institutionalizations and releases from Western State Hospital, several news articles quoted producers as offering her the lead in the film The Enchanted Forest and the Broadway play The Incredible Woodhul
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/aloysiahh/farmer-sized.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/prinnie333/1054241603_farmer.jpg

It's been said she underwent a lobotomy while at Western State Hospital.  Here treatment was there was very harsh to say the least.

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 2:48 pm

It's been said she underwent a lobotomy while at Western State Hospital.  Here treatment was there was very harsh to say the least.

I found this....In 1978, Seattle film reviewer William Arnold published Shadowland, which for the first time alleged that Farmer had been the subject of a transorbital lobotomy. Scenes of Farmer being subjected to this lobotomy procedure were part of the 1982 film Frances, which had initially been planned as an adaptation of Shadowland, though its producers ultimately reneged on their agreement with Arnold. During a court case against Brooksfilms (the film's producers), Arnold revealed that the lobotomy episode and much of his biography about Farmer was "fictionalized". Years later, on a DVD commentary track of the film Frances, director Graeme Clifford stated, "We didn't want to nickel and dime people to death with facts

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 2:49 pm

We Don't Talk Anymore..great song :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 2:53 pm

We Don't Talk Anymore..great song :)
silence is Golden?

Written By: Frank on 08/01/09 at 2:57 pm

silence is Golden?

The sound of silence.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 4:14 pm

The sound of silence.
Enjoy The Silence

Written By: Frank on 08/01/09 at 4:24 pm

I enjoy the silence.

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 4:49 pm

silence is Golden?

Another goody.
The sound of silence.

One of the best.

Written By: Frank on 08/01/09 at 4:56 pm

Another goody.One of the best.

The sound of silence is a great song with a prophetic message perhaps. Time will tell.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/09 at 5:06 pm

The sound of silence is a great song with a prophetic message perhaps. Time will tell.
Remind us of the lyrics?

Written By: Howard on 08/01/09 at 6:29 pm

Yes, the art of conversation is dying.

Now that we have cell phones and computers,we can converse virtually.

Written By: Frank on 08/01/09 at 7:26 pm

Remind us of the lyrics?

Perhaps another time, have to go.

Written By: ninny on 08/01/09 at 8:15 pm

Remind us of the lyrics?

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence

Written By: Michael C. on 08/01/09 at 9:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_aVuS7cOIQ

'What We've got here is failure to communicate" - Strother Martin

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 1:50 am

Now that we have cell phones and computers,we can converse virtually.
Look at the situation, you are with a friend and chatting deeply away about any subject and preciseness. Your friend's phone rings and the friend answers it and spends ten minutes talking on it. So, where are you in the mean time, sitting there in a lost conversation, twiddling your thumbs. Mobile phones are anti social and killing the art of conversation.

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 6:40 am

The word of the day...Lunch
  1.  A meal eaten at midday.
  2. The food provided for a midday meal.
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss287/doubledus/Lunch.jpg
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/DebSeid123/174.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/hswaap/P1030487.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/cutie_girl48/jodiepacklanch.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg104/calliopes_muse/Picture165.jpg
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/Tlegoebay/legoclassic4post.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/JoshNuijten/DSC00884.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/inlovewithhim/769f1978.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 6:45 am

The person of the day...William S  Burroughs
William Seward Burroughs II (February 5, 1914(1914-02-05) – August 2, 1997; pronounced /ˈbʌroʊz/) was an American novelist, essayist, social critic, painter and spoken word performer. Much of Burroughs's work is semi-autobiographical, drawn from his experiences as an opiate addict, a condition that marked the last fifty years of his life. A primary member of the Beat Generation, he was an avant-garde author who affected popular culture as well as literature. In 1975, he was elected to the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters.In 1944, Burroughs began living with Joan Vollmer Adams in an apartment they shared with Jack Kerouac and Edie Parker, Kerouac's first wife. Vollmer Adams was married to a GI with whom she had a young daughter, Julie Adams. Burroughs and Kerouac got into trouble with the law for failing to report a murder involving Lucien Carr, who had killed David Kammerer in a confrontation over Kammerer's incessant and unwanted advances. This incident inspired Burroughs and Kerouac to collaborate on a novel entitled And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks. Completed in 1945, the two fledgling authors were unable to get it published, but the manuscript was finally published in November 2008 by Grove Press and Penguin Books.

During this time, Burroughs began using morphine and quickly became addicted. He eventually sold heroin in Greenwich Village to support his habit.

Vollmer also became an addict, but her drug of choice was Benzedrine, an amphetamine sold over the counter at that time. Because of her addiction and social circle, her husband immediately divorced her after returning from the war. Vollmer would become Burroughs’ common law wife. Burroughs was soon arrested for forging a narcotics prescription and was sentenced to return to his parents' care in St. Louis. Vollmer's addiction led to a temporary psychosis, which resulted in her admission to a hospital, and the custody of her child was endangered. Yet after Burroughs completed his "house arrest" in St. Louis, he returned to New York, released Vollmer from the psychiatric ward of Bellevue Hospital, and moved with her and her daughter to Texas. Vollmer soon became pregnant with Burroughs's child. Their son, William S. Burroughs, Jr., was born in 1947. The family moved briefly to New Orleans in 1948.

Burroughs was arrested after police searched his home and found letters between him and Allen Ginsberg referring to a possible delivery of marijuana.

During 1953, Burroughs was at loose ends. Due to legal problems, he was unable to live in the cities towards which he was most inclined. He spent time with his parents in Palm Beach, Florida, and New York City with Allen Ginsberg. When Ginsberg refused his romantic advances, Burroughs went to Rome to meet Alan Ansen on a vacation financed from his parents' continuing support. When he found Rome and Ansen’s company dreary, inspired by Paul Bowles' fiction, he decided to head for Tangier, Morocco. In a home owned by a known procurer of homosexual prostitutes for visiting American and English men, he rented a room and began to write a large body of text that he personally referred to as Interzone. Burroughs lived in Tangier for several months, before returning to the United States where he suffered several personal indignities - Ginsberg was in California and refused to see him, A. A. Wyn, the publisher of Junkie, was not forthcoming with his royalties and his parents were threatening to cut off his allowance.

All signs pointed him back to Tangier, a place where his parents would have to continue the support and one where drugs were freely available. He left in November 1954 and spent the next four years there working on the fiction that would later become Naked Lunch, as well as attempting to write commercial articles about Tangier. He sent these writings to Ginsberg, his literary agent for Junkie, but none were published until 1989 when Interzone, a collection of short stories, was published. Under the strong influence of a marijuana confection known as majoun and a German-made opioid called Eukodol, Burroughs settled in to write. Eventually, Ginsberg and Kerouac, who had traveled to Tangier in 1957, helped Burroughs type, edit, and arrange these episodes into Naked Lunch.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/ThomasMcKenzie/Images%20which%20Define%20and%20Appeal/William-S-Burroughs.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm191/stuffinjello/burroughs.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x157/insightoutside/burroughs.gif
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/dwayneb85/burroughs.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 6:48 am

The co-person of the day...Shari Lewis
Shari Phyllis Hurwitz (January 17, 1933 - August 2, 1998) was an American ventriloquist, puppeteer, and children's television show host, most popular during the 1960s and 1990s. She is best known as the original puppeteer of Lamb Chop, first appearing on Hi Mom, a local morning show that aired on WNBC in New York.
In 1952, Lewis and her puppetry won first prize on "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" television show. In March 1956, Shari and Lamb Chop were on Captain Kangaroo and by 1960 she had her own television program. She graduated to network television in 1960 as host and puppeteer of The Shari Lewis Show. The programs featured such characters as Hush Puppy, Charlie Horse, Lamb Chop, and Wing Ding. Lamb Chop, who was little more than a sock with eyes, served as a sassy alter-ego for Shari. Subsequent television programs introduced these characters (minus the black crow, whose characterization became more problematic after the 1960s) to a new generation of children. In 1992, her new Emmy-winning show Lamb Chop's Play-Along began a five year run on PBS. Shari also starred in another hit PBS series "The Charlie Horse Music Pizza", which was one of her last projects before her death. The video Lamb Chop's Special Chanukah was released in 1996 and received the Parents' Choice award of the year.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/willowlovesangel/sl1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg131/KremitLady/HushPUppy.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 6:55 am

I love lunch,excellent part ofthe day.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:04 am

The word of the day...Lunch
  1.  A meal eaten at midday.
  2. The food provided for a midday meal.
Dinner can still be eaten at midday?

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:17 am

Dinner can still be eaten at midday?

Yes it can and you can have breakfast for lunch and lunch for dinner.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:17 am

Late lunch, etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:19 am

Lunch is being taken now at the 3rd Ashes Test at Edgbaston.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:20 am

Late lunch, etc.

It doesn't matter what time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:21 am

It doesn't matter what time.
Not too late?

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:22 am

Not too late?

in the evening you can.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:22 am

in the evening you can.
Now that would be too late.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:23 am

Now that would be too late.

I have cereal for a snack before bed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:24 am

I have cereal for a snack before bed.
It would be fruit here.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:24 am

It would be fruit here.

fruit is good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:25 am

fruit is good.
It helps to insure the five-a-day required

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:26 am

It helps to insure the five-a-day required

and is healthy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:27 am

and is healthy.
Very true.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/09 at 7:27 am

Very true.

I eat fruit but not a lot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:30 am

The person of the day...William S  Burroughs
William Seward Burroughs II (February 5, 1914(1914-02-05) – August 2, 1997; pronounced /ˈbʌroʊz/) was an American novelist, essayist, social critic, painter and spoken word performer. Much of Burroughs's work is semi-autobiographical, drawn from his experiences as an opiate addict, a condition that marked the last fifty years of his life. A primary member of the Beat Generation, he was an avant-garde author who affected popular culture as well as literature. In 1975, he was elected to the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters.In 1944, Burroughs began living with Joan Vollmer Adams in an apartment they shared with Jack Kerouac and Edie Parker, Kerouac's first wife. Vollmer Adams was married to a GI with whom she had a young daughter, Julie Adams. Burroughs and Kerouac got into trouble with the law for failing to report a murder involving Lucien Carr, who had killed David Kammerer in a confrontation over Kammerer's incessant and unwanted advances. This incident inspired Burroughs and Kerouac to collaborate on a novel entitled And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks. Completed in 1945, the two fledgling authors were unable to get it published, but the manuscript was finally published in November 2008 by Grove Press and Penguin Books.

During this time, Burroughs began using morphine and quickly became addicted. He eventually sold heroin in Greenwich Village to support his habit.

Vollmer also became an addict, but her drug of choice was Benzedrine, an amphetamine sold over the counter at that time. Because of her addiction and social circle, her husband immediately divorced her after returning from the war. Vollmer would become Burroughs’ common law wife. Burroughs was soon arrested for forging a narcotics prescription and was sentenced to return to his parents' care in St. Louis. Vollmer's addiction led to a temporary psychosis, which resulted in her admission to a hospital, and the custody of her child was endangered. Yet after Burroughs completed his "house arrest" in St. Louis, he returned to New York, released Vollmer from the psychiatric ward of Bellevue Hospital, and moved with her and her daughter to Texas. Vollmer soon became pregnant with Burroughs's child. Their son, William S. Burroughs, Jr., was born in 1947. The family moved briefly to New Orleans in 1948.

Burroughs was arrested after police searched his home and found letters between him and Allen Ginsberg referring to a possible delivery of marijuana.

During 1953, Burroughs was at loose ends. Due to legal problems, he was unable to live in the cities towards which he was most inclined. He spent time with his parents in Palm Beach, Florida, and New York City with Allen Ginsberg. When Ginsberg refused his romantic advances, Burroughs went to Rome to meet Alan Ansen on a vacation financed from his parents' continuing support. When he found Rome and Ansen’s company dreary, inspired by Paul Bowles' fiction, he decided to head for Tangier, Morocco. In a home owned by a known procurer of homosexual prostitutes for visiting American and English men, he rented a room and began to write a large body of text that he personally referred to as Interzone. Burroughs lived in Tangier for several months, before returning to the United States where he suffered several personal indignities - Ginsberg was in California and refused to see him, A. A. Wyn, the publisher of Junkie, was not forthcoming with his royalties and his parents were threatening to cut off his allowance.

All signs pointed him back to Tangier, a place where his parents would have to continue the support and one where drugs were freely available. He left in November 1954 and spent the next four years there working on the fiction that would later become Naked Lunch, as well as attempting to write commercial articles about Tangier. He sent these writings to Ginsberg, his literary agent for Junkie, but none were published until 1989 when Interzone, a collection of short stories, was published. Under the strong influence of a marijuana confection known as majoun and a German-made opioid called Eukodol, Burroughs settled in to write. Eventually, Ginsberg and Kerouac, who had traveled to Tangier in 1957, helped Burroughs type, edit, and arrange these episodes into Naked Lunch.

Any relation to Edgar Rice Burroughs the creator of Tarzan?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 7:30 am

I eat fruit but not a lot.
I like the fruit in a fruit salad form.

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 8:06 am

Yep my mom use to make pancakes & sausage for supper(dinner) whatever you want to call it.
I'm not a breakfast person so lunch is my favorite meal.

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 8:13 am

Any relation to Edgar Rice Burroughs the creator of Tarzan?

I have found no connection.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 9:54 am

Yep my mom use to make pancakes & sausage for supper(dinner) whatever you want to call it.
I'm not a breakfast person so lunch is my favorite meal.
...mmmm.... panckes!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 9:55 am

I have found no connection.
Many thanks

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 11:07 am

The co-person of the day...Shari Lewis
Shari Phyllis Hurwitz (January 17, 1933 - August 2, 1998) was an American ventriloquist, puppeteer, and children's television show host, most popular during the 1960s and 1990s. She is best known as the original puppeteer of Lamb Chop, first appearing on Hi Mom, a local morning show that aired on WNBC in New York.
In 1952, Lewis and her puppetry won first prize on "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" television show. In March 1956, Shari and Lamb Chop were on Captain Kangaroo and by 1960 she had her own television program. She graduated to network television in 1960 as host and puppeteer of The Shari Lewis Show. The programs featured such characters as Hush Puppy, Charlie Horse, Lamb Chop, and Wing Ding. Lamb Chop, who was little more than a sock with eyes, served as a sassy alter-ego for Shari. Subsequent television programs introduced these characters (minus the black crow, whose characterization became more problematic after the 1960s) to a new generation of children. In 1992, her new Emmy-winning show Lamb Chop's Play-Along began a five year run on PBS. Shari also starred in another hit PBS series "The Charlie Horse Music Pizza", which was one of her last projects before her death. The video Lamb Chop's Special Chanukah was released in 1996 and received the Parents' Choice award of the year.
As mentioned earlier.

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 11:25 am

As mentioned earlier.

I knew I had to use her after the previous mention

Many thanks

It was no problem :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 11:27 am

I knew I had to use her after the previous mentionIt was no problem :)
Did she ever met him?

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 12:26 pm

Did she ever met him?

I'm not sure.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/09 at 12:28 pm

I'm not sure.
They had the same skill and profeesion, but now it will never be known.

Written By: Paul on 08/02/09 at 12:31 pm

Jim Reeves again...

Chances are he would have had to use British musicians as accompaniment in order to broadcast back in the day...

I suppose we should count ourselves pretty lucky that the US wasn't so draconian...the British Invasion would never have got off the ground!

And speaking of the British Invasion, Jim was one of a select few American acts whose popularity wasn't wiped out by the beat boom in the UK!

Tragically, he wasn't around to witness it!  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/09 at 12:40 pm

I knew someone who had a goldfish that he named Lunch.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 2:28 pm

Jim Reeves again...

Chances are he would have had to use British musicians as accompaniment in order to broadcast back in the day...

I suppose we should count ourselves pretty lucky that the US wasn't so draconian...the British Invasion would never have got off the ground!

And speaking of the British Invasion, Jim was one of a select few American acts whose popularity wasn't wiped out by the beat boom in the UK!

Tragically, he wasn't around to witness it!  :(

Yes I did read where he was popular during the early stages British Invasion, one has to wonder if he would of continued on this path.

Written By: ninny on 08/02/09 at 2:28 pm

I knew someone who had a goldfish that he named Lunch.

Cat

Tasty :D

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 6:19 am

The word of the day...Hitchhiker
To travel by soliciting free rides along a road.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/TattsMatey/TheHitchhiker.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/becky_sue_beth/hitchhikers.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/poison__bubble/DSC00357.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/strfire3/Avatars%20and%20Icons/hitchhiker.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg229/_thornhill/HitchHiker-Shirt-WIP.gif
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr61/danslist/IMG_8122.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/4bitdecoder/03b470de.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/bam4263/78m.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:21 am

do you always have to use the thumb?

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 6:23 am

The person of the day...Ida Lupino
Ida Lupino (4 February 1918 – 3 August 1995) was an Anglo-American film actress, director, and a pioneer among women filmmakers. In her forty-eight year career, she appeared in fifty-nine films, and directed nine others. She also appeared in episodic television fifty-eight times and directed fifty other episodes. In addition, she contributed as a writer to five films and four TV episodes
Born into a family of performers, (father, Stanley Lupino, was a music-hall comedian; mother, Connie Emerald, an actress) Lupino was encouraged to enter show-business by both her parents and her uncle, Lupino Lane, Lupino made her first film appearance in 1931, in The Love Race, and worked for several years playing minor roles.

It was after her appearance in The Light That Failed in 1939 that Lupino was taken seriously as a dramatic actress. As a result, her parts improved during the 1940s and she began to describe herself as "the poor man's Bette Davis."

During this period, Lupino became known for her hard-boiled roles, and appeared in such films as They Drive by Night (1940) and High Sierra (1941), both opposite Humphrey Bogart. She acted regularly and was in high demand throughout the 1940s without becoming a major star. In 1947, Lupino left Warner Brothers to become a freelance actress. Notable films she appeared in around that time include Road House and On Dangerous Ground.
In the mid-40s, while on suspension for turning down a role, Lupino became interested in directing. She described herself as being bored on set while "someone else seemed to be doing all the interesting work." She and her husband Collier Young formed an independent company, The Filmmakers, and Lupino became a producer, director and screenplay-writer of low-budget, issue-oriented movies.

Her first directing job came unexpectedly in 1949 when Elmer Clifton suffered a mild heart attack and couldn't finish Not Wanted, the film he was directing for Filmmakers. Lupino stepped in to finish the film, and went on to direct her own projects, becoming Hollywood's only female film director of the time.

In an article for the Village Voice, Carrie Rickey wrote that Lupino was an model of modern feminist moviemaking, stating:

Not only did Lupino take control of production, direction and screenplay, but each of her movies addresses the brutal repercussions of sexuality, independence, and dependence.

After four "woman's" films about social issue – including Outrage (1950), a film about rape – Lupino directed her first hard-paced, fast-moving picture, The Hitch-Hiker (1953), making her the first woman to direct a film noir. Writer Richard Koszarski noted that:

Her films display the obsessions and consistencies of a true auteur ... Lupino was able to reduce the male to the same sort of dangerous, irrational force that women represented in most male-directed examples of Hollywood film noir.

Lupino often joked that if she had been the "poor man's Bette Davis" as an actress, then she had become the "poor man's Don Siegel" as a director. In 1952, Lupino was invited to become the "fourth star" in Four Star Productions by Dick Powell, David Niven and Charles Boyer, after Joel McCrea and Rosalind Russell dropped out.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m60/discman69/lupino.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/tnguitargrl/l_785f8241b4ed75cf9710d589dbdf9e9f.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/beatnikloserkid/Old%20Hollywood/ida_lupino_02.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/aappleton218/classicmisc1/Actresses01/ida_lupino_gallery_12.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 6:24 am

do you always have to use the thumb?

It's probably easier than sticking your big toe out :)

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:25 am

It's probably easier than sticking your big toe out :)

I always wondered why thumbs were important in hitchiking.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:25 am

http://www.8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/IdaLupino79a.jpg

A very older picture of Ida Lupino.

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 6:30 am

The co-person of the day...Carolyn Jones
Carolyn Sue Jones (April 28, 1930 – August 3, 1983) was an American actress.

Jones began her film career in the early 1950s, and by the end of the decade had achieved recognition with a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for The Bachelor Party (1957) and a Golden Globe Award as one of the most promising actresses of 1959. Her film career continued for a few years, and in 1964 she began playing the role of Morticia Addams in the television series The Addams Family, receiving a Golden Globe Award nomination for her work.

Her acting career lost its momentum after this, however she continued to act infrequently in films and television until she was debilitated by colon cancer, from which she died in 1983.

Jones was married three times; her first husband was the television producer Aaron Spelling to whom she was married from 1953 until their divorce in 1964
Jones secured a contract with Paramount Pictures and made her first film in 1952. In 1953, she married aspiring film-maker Aaron Spelling (converting to Judaism upon marriage), and her film career began to gain momentum. She had an uncredited bit part as a nightclub hostess in The Big Heat, and a role in House of Wax brought her good reviews.

She was cast in From Here to Eternity, but illness forced her withdrawal. Donna Reed was recast in her role and won an Oscar for her performance.

Early in her career, she appeared in two Rod Cameron syndicated series, City Detective and State Trooper, as Betty Fowler in the 1956 episode, "The Paperhanger of Pioche". In the 1962-1963 season, Jones guest starred on CBS's The Lloyd Bridges Show, which Spelling created. While married to Spelling, she appeared on the NBC interview program, Here's Hollywood.

Jones appeared in Invasion of the Body Snatchers and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for The Bachelor Party. In 1958, she shared a Golden Globe Award for "Most Promising Newcomer" with Sandra Dee and Diane Varsi, and appeared with Elvis Presley in King Creole. In 1959, she played opposite Frank Sinatra in Frank Capra's A Hole in the Head, Dean Martin in Career, and Anthony Quinn in Last Train from Gun Hill. In 1960, she guest starred with James Best and Jack Mullaney in the episode "Love on Credit" of CBS's anthology series The DuPont Show with June Allyson, a Four Star Television production.

By 1963, she and Spelling were separated, and by 1964 they were divorced. In 1964, with a long coal black wig covering her naturally blonde hair, Jones began playing Morticia Addams in the television series The Addams Family, a role which brought her success as a comedienne and a Golden Globe Award nomination.
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/yessy_everth/carolynjones.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/nitsua037/CarolynJones.jpg

Honorable mention...Lenny Bruce
Lenny Bruce (October 13, 1925 – August 3, 1966), born Leonard Alfred Schneider, was an American stand-up comedian, writer, social critic and satirist of the 1950s and 1960s. His 1964 conviction in an obscenity trial led to the first posthumous pardon in New York history.
Bruce's early comedy career included writing the screenplays for Dance Hall Racket in 1953, which featured himself, his wife, Honey Harlow, and mother, Sally Marr, in roles; Dream Follies in 1954, a low-budget burlesque romp; and a children's film, The Rocket Man, in 1954. He also released four albums of original material on Berkeley-based Fantasy Records, with rants, comic routines, and satirical interviews on the themes that made him famous: jazz, moral philosophy, politics, patriotism, religion, law, race, abortion, drugs, the Ku Klux Klan, and Jewishness. These albums were later compiled and re-released as The Lenny Bruce Originals. Two later records were produced and sold by Bruce himself, including a 10-inch album of the 1961 San Francisco performances that started his legal troubles. Starting in the late 1960s, other unissued Bruce material was released by Alan Douglas, Frank Zappa and Phil Spector, as well as Fantasy. Bruce developed the complexity and tone of his material in Enrico Banducci's North Beach nightclub, "The hungry i," where Mort Sahl had earlier made a name for himself.

His growing fame led to appearances on the nationally televised Steve Allen Show, where he made his debut with an unscripted comment on the recent marriage of Elizabeth Taylor to Eddie Fisher, wondering, "will Elizabeth Taylor become bar mitzvahed?" He also began receiving mainstream press, both favorable and derogatory. Syndicated Broadway columnist Hy Gardner called Bruce a "fad" and "a one-time-around freak attraction," while Variety declared him "undisciplined and unfunny." Influential San Francisco columnist Herb Caen, however, was an early and enthusiastic supporter, writing in 1959:

They call Lenny Bruce a sick comic, and sick he is. Sick of all the pretentious phoniness of a generation that makes his vicious humor meaningful. He is a rebel, but not without a cause, for there are shirts that need un-stuffing, egos that need deflating. Sometimes you feel guilty laughing at some of Lenny's mordant jabs, but that disappears a second later when your inner voice tells you with pleased surprise, 'but that's true.'

On February 3, 1961, in the midst of a severe blizzard, he gave a famous performance at Carnegie Hall in New York. It was recorded and later released as a three-disc set, titled The Carnegie Hall Concert. In the liner notes, critic Albert Goldman described it as follows:

This was the moment that an obscure yet rapidly rising young comedian named Lenny Bruce chose to give one of the greatest performances of his career. ... The performance contained in this album is that of a child of the jazz age. Lenny worshipped the gods of Spontaneity, Candor and Free Association. He fancied himself an oral jazzman. His ideal was to walk out there like Charlie Parker, take that mike in his hand like a horn and blow, blow, blow everything that came into his head just as it came into his head with nothing censored, nothing translated, nothing mediated, until he was pure mind, pure head sending out brainwaves like radio waves into the heads of every man and woman seated in that vast hall. Sending, sending, sending, he would finally reach a point of clairvoyance where he was no longer a performer but rather a medium transmitting messages that just came to him from out there — from recall, fantasy, prophecy. A point at which, like the practitioners of automatic writing, his tongue would outrun his mind and he would be saying things he didn't plan to say, things that surprised, delighted him, cracked him up — as if he were a spectator at his own performance!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p33/emocatlady/lenny-bruce6.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Gunnman/Lenny_Bruce_at_the_Fillmore.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 6:39 am

http://www.8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/IdaLupino79a.jpg

A very older picture of Ida Lupino.

Good pic Howie :)

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:45 am

http://store.infinitecoolness.com/coolposters/personalities/theaddamsfamily/theaddamsfamilytvposter005.jpg

Carolyn Jones in 1981.

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 7:24 am

http://store.infinitecoolness.com/coolposters/personalities/theaddamsfamily/theaddamsfamilytvposter005.jpg

Carolyn Jones in 1981.

2 years before she died.

Written By: Frank on 08/03/09 at 12:56 pm

Carolyn Jones was great as Morticia.

Written By: gibbo on 08/03/09 at 4:23 pm

Carolyn Jones was a cool actress. I liked her in King Creole (with Elvis) too. I also liked Ida Lupino ... I remember her acting opposite Humphrey Bogart...

Written By: Frank on 08/03/09 at 4:25 pm

I saw "Lenny" where Dustin Hoffman portrayed Lenny Bruce. Good job by him.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/03/09 at 5:21 pm

No one could ever be Morticia Addams but Carolyn Jones. 8)

Written By: gibbo on 08/03/09 at 5:23 pm

I agree...

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 5:57 pm

I agree...

Agreed..Here is some interesting info on Morticia..In the television series, her mother was named Hester Frump (played by Margaret Hamilton). The wicked witch herself.

Written By: Frank on 08/03/09 at 6:03 pm

Umm, I can see a younger Catherine Zeta-Jones handle this role..not bad...

Written By: Howard on 08/03/09 at 6:26 pm

Carolyn Jones was great as Morticia.

Who else played Morticia?

Written By: ninny on 08/03/09 at 7:07 pm

Anjelica Huston plays her in the movies.

Written By: Michael C. on 08/03/09 at 7:58 pm

If You saw David {Last House on the Left} Hess hitchin'.......
Would You pick Him up ?

http://www.savagecinema.com/Hitch-Hike.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/TattsMatey/TheHitchhiker.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/becky_sue_beth/hitchhikers.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/poison__bubble/DSC00357.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/strfire3/Avatars%20and%20Icons/hitchhiker.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg229/_thornhill/HitchHiker-Shirt-WIP.gif
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr61/danslist/IMG_8122.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/4bitdecoder/03b470de.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 08/03/09 at 8:02 pm

Daryl Hannah did in a TV Addams movie.....

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/e5/4b/3f67_1.JPG

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/03/09 at 10:28 pm

Umm, I can see a younger Catherine Zeta-Jones handle this role..not bad...

Yeah, you do have a point.  Angelica Huston was barely tolerable.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:07 am

The movie was dire, but the tv series was superb!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:08 am

I saw "Lenny" where Dustin Hoffman portrayed Lenny Bruce. Good job by him.
I have always seemed to miss that movie.

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 5:41 am

Daryl Hannah did in a TV Addams movie.....

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/e5/4b/3f67_1.JPG

I never saw that one.

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 5:49 am

The word of the day...Robe
  1.  A long loose flowing outer garment, especially:
        1. An official garment worn on formal occasions to show office or rank, as by a judge or high church official.
        2. An academic gown.
        3. A dressing gown or bathrobe.
  2. robes Clothes; apparel.
  3. A blanket or covering made of material, such as fur or cloth: a lap robe.
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/quesnoy/robe/robe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/shattereddreams/Character%20Pictures/Margarita/Robe.jpg
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/subees/sb1291whole.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/meaganmarie05/alyssamarierobe.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/eleanorofaquitane/Sale/100_3921.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x177/babyshop_2007/Bibs%20%20Burp%20Cloths/081b.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/Veravanwhoop/DINA%20AND%20MATT%20WEEKEND%202009/IMG_3275.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/starwars79/CloneWarsExhibit/DSCI0065.jpg
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab310/boredonecockblocker/IMG_0683.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 5:53 am

The person of the day...Victor Mature
Victor Mature (January 29, 1913 – August 4, 1999) was an American film actor.
After the war, Mature was cast by John Ford in My Darling Clementine, playing Doc Holliday opposite Henry Fonda's Wyatt Earp. For the next decade, Mature settled into playing hard-boiled characters in a range of genres such as Westerns and Biblical films, such as The Robe (with Richard Burton and Jean Simmons) and its popular sequel, Demetrius and the Gladiators (with Susan Hayward). Both films deal with the fate of the robe worn by Jesus before the crucifixion. Mature also starred with Hedy Lamarr in Cecil B. DeMille's Bible epic, Samson and Delilah (1949) and as Horemheb in The Egyptian (1954) with Jean Simmons and Gene Tierney. He reportedly stated he was successful in Biblical epics because he could "make with the holy look".

He also starred with Esther Williams in Million Dollar Mermaid (1952), and had a romantic relationship with her according to her autobiography. After five years of retirement in 1966 he was lured back into acting by the opportunity to parody himself in After the Fox, co-written by Neil Simon. In a similar vein in 1968 he played a giant, The Big Victor, in Head, a potpourri movie starring The Monkees. The character poked fun at both his screen image and, reportedly, RCA Victor who distributed Colgems Records, the Monkees's label. Mature enjoyed the script while admitting it made no sense to him, stating "All I know is it makes me laugh."

Mature was famously modest about his acting skill. Once, after being rejected for membership in a country club because he was an actor, he cracked, "I'm not an actor—and I've got sixty-four films to prove it!" He was quoted in 1968 on his acting career: "Actually, I am a golfer. That is my real occupation. I never was an actor. Ask anybody, particularly the critics."
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p267/moviediva/vm.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/DTrent/Victor%20Mature/VictorMatureMar51.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/DTrent/The%20Beauty%20Of%20Man/matureh3.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/svengali46/victormature54.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 5:55 am

The co-person of the day...Melvyn Douglas
Melvyn Edouard Hesselberg (April 5, 1901 – August 4, 1981), better known as Melvyn Douglas, was an American actor.
Douglas developed his acting skills with stock companies in Sioux City, Iowa; Evansville, Indiana; Madison, Wisconsin, and Detroit, Michigan. He had a long theatre, film and television career as a lead player, stretching from his 1930 Broadway role in Tonight or Never (opposite his future wife, Helen Gahagan) until just before his death. He was the hero in the 1932 horror film The Vampire Bat and the sophisticated leading man in 1935's She Married Her Boss. He played opposite Joan Crawford in several films, most notably A Woman's Face (1941), and with Greta Garbo in three films: As You Desire Me (1932), Ninotchka (1939) and Garbo's final film Two-Faced Woman (1941).

During World War II, Douglas served first as a director of the Arts Council in the Office of Civilian Defense, and then in the United States Army. He returned to play more mature roles in The Sea of Grass and Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. In 1959 he made his musical debut playing Captain Boyle in the ill-fated Marc Blitzstein musical Juno, based on Sean O'Casey's Juno and the Paycock.

In the summer of 1959, Douglas hosted eleven original episodes of a CBS Western anthology television series called Frontier Justice, a production of Dick Powell's Four Star Television.

In addition to his Academy Awards (see below), Douglas won a Tony for his Broadway lead role in the 1960 The Best Man by Gore Vidal, and an Emmy for his 1967 role in Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night. As Douglas grew older, he took on the older-man and father roles, in such movies as The Americanization of Emily, Hud, The Candidate and I Never Sang for My Father, for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor. He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the 1979 dark comedy Being There.

Douglas' final screen appearance was in Ghost Story (1981). he never finished his role in the film The Hot Touch (1982) before his death. Douglas has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for movies at 6423 Hollywood Blvd. and one for television at 6601 Hollywood Blvd.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb224/Anachronisme39/Golden%20Era/MelvynDouglas.jpg
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq135/SuffragetteCity100/MEN%20Life%20Support/vlcsnap-1561724.png

Written By: gibbo on 08/04/09 at 6:01 am

I have fond memories of watching Victor Mature films when I was young....Samson and Delilah (with Hedy Lamar, I think), The Robe (with Burton and Simmons), as well as Million Dollar Mermaid (I liked Esther Williams).

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 6:05 am

Hugh Hefner always wears a robe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 7:04 am

The word of the day...Robe
  1.  A long loose flowing outer garment, especially:
        1. An official garment worn on formal occasions to show office or rank, as by a judge or high church official.
        2. An academic gown.
        3. A dressing gown or bathrobe.
  2. robes Clothes; apparel.
  3. A blanket or covering made of material, such as fur or cloth: a lap robe.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/starwars79/CloneWarsExhibit/DSCI0065.jpg

How much is this robe worth?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 7:07 am

The person of the day...Victor Mature
Victor Mature (January 29, 1913 – August 4, 1999) was an American film actor.
After the war, Mature was cast by John Ford in My Darling Clementine, playing Doc Holliday opposite Henry Fonda's Wyatt Earp. For the next decade, Mature settled into playing hard-boiled characters in a range of genres such as Westerns and Biblical films, such as The Robe (with Richard Burton and Jean Simmons) and its popular sequel, Demetrius and the Gladiators (with Susan Hayward). Both films deal with the fate of the robe worn by Jesus before the crucifixion. Mature also starred with Hedy Lamarr in Cecil B. DeMille's Bible epic, Samson and Delilah (1949) and as Horemheb in The Egyptian (1954) with Jean Simmons and Gene Tierney. He reportedly stated he was successful in Biblical epics because he could "make with the holy look".

He also starred with Esther Williams in Million Dollar Mermaid (1952), and had a romantic relationship with her according to her autobiography. After five years of retirement in 1966 he was lured back into acting by the opportunity to parody himself in After the Fox, co-written by Neil Simon. In a similar vein in 1968 he played a giant, The Big Victor, in Head, a potpourri movie starring The Monkees. The character poked fun at both his screen image and, reportedly, RCA Victor who distributed Colgems Records, the Monkees's label. Mature enjoyed the script while admitting it made no sense to him, stating "All I know is it makes me laugh."

Mature was famously modest about his acting skill. Once, after being rejected for membership in a country club because he was an actor, he cracked, "I'm not an actor—and I've got sixty-four films to prove it!" He was quoted in 1968 on his acting career: "Actually, I am a golfer. That is my real occupation. I never was an actor. Ask anybody, particularly the critics."

I was about to post the very quotes....

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 7:55 am

I have fond memories of watching Victor Mature films when I was young....Samson and Delilah (with Hedy Lamar, I think), The Robe (with Burton and Simmons), as well as Million Dollar Mermaid (I liked Esther Williams).

I remember the first 2 movies, but not the third.

Hugh Hefner always wears a robe.

Yes he does..http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/mjasso/hugh_hefner.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 7:56 am

It says getting changed!

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 10:12 am

It says getting changed!

The pic or him? I think it is actually a smoking jacket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 10:15 am

The pic or him? I think it is actually a smoking jacket.
...it's not on fire ?

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 10:33 am

...it's not on fire ?

Smoke from a different fire.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 10:34 am

Smoke from a different fire.
More than likely a smoking jacket must be comfortable to wear.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/04/09 at 11:17 am

Victor was great in the movie Head you can tell he was having fun with it.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 11:18 am

That is another I have missed.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/04/09 at 11:23 am

That is another I have missed.

It's an cool film if you're into campy 60's cinema. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 11:26 am

It's an cool film if you're into campy 60's cinema. :)
That is my kind of film, I will watch for it next time it's on tv.

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 11:35 am

This song is from it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaT73F7tcXs#

Scene from the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdN74MQCYY&feature=related#

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 11:36 am

This song is from it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaT73F7tcXs#

Scene from the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdN74MQCYY&feature=related#
I will be checking later.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 1:08 pm

I remember the first 2 movies, but not the third.

Why is that he never wears jeans and a T-Shirt? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:19 pm

Why is that he never wears jeans and a T-Shirt? ???
Jeans do not suit his lifestyle.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 1:20 pm

Jeans do not suit his lifestyle.

I bet he would like to change his lifestyle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:24 pm

He looks content with his life.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 1:24 pm

He looks content with his life.

I would not like to walk around the house with a robe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:25 pm

I would not like to walk around the house with a robe.
In an overcoat?

Written By: Frank on 08/04/09 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, you do have a point.  Angelica Huston was barely tolerable.

Zeta-Jones would have brought more sexiness to the role than Angelica.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 1:26 pm

In an overcoat?

I would need clothes on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:27 pm

I would need clothes on.
Casual wear?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 1:38 pm

Casual wear?

I'm more professional than he is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:39 pm

I'm more professional than he is.
Hugh Hefner does not shades?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 1:40 pm

Hugh Hefner does not shades?

I've never seen him wear shades.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 1:43 pm

Even on his day off?

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 2:02 pm

Hugh with shades
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh205/linzee_photos/hughhefner.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 2:03 pm

Hugh with shades

How is he with 3 ladies is beyond me. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 2:05 pm

Hugh with shades
Are the shades similiar to Tom Cruise's?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 2:07 pm

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-iii-new-york-premiere-arrivals-0EFbKa.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 2:09 pm

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-iii-new-york-premiere-arrivals-0EFbKa.jpg
TC's are bigger than HH's

Written By: Frank on 08/04/09 at 2:10 pm

I never liked Tom Cruise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 2:10 pm

I never liked Tom Cruise.
With or without his shades?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 2:11 pm

TC's are bigger than HH's

He's cooler.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 2:11 pm

He's cooler.
I would think HHis cooler for he is only wearing a smoking jacket.

Written By: Frank on 08/04/09 at 2:12 pm

With or without his shades?

Regardless

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 2:13 pm

I would think HHis cooler for he is only wearing a smoking jacket.

workers at work call me Tom Cruise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 2:14 pm

workers at work call me Tom Cruise.
Only when you have your shades on?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/09 at 2:15 pm

Only when you have your shades on?

Yes and I love it.  :)

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 3:16 pm

How is he with 3 ladies is beyond me. ::)

I'm sure if it wasn't for Playboy he wouldn't have those young woman.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 3:18 pm

I'm sure if it wasn't for Playboy he wouldn't have those young woman.
Would he look younger too?

Written By: ninny on 08/04/09 at 5:38 pm

Would he look younger too?

He'd probably look older.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/09 at 5:41 pm

He'd probably look older.
I understand....

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 5:30 am

Why change, I think he is happy and contented.

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:37 am

Why change, I think he is happy and contented.

So true

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 5:39 am

So true
Can I assume that Hugh Hefner has never got married?

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:43 am

The word of the day...Desert
  1.  A barren or desolate area, especially:
        1. A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.
        2. A region of permanent cold that is largely or entirely devoid of life.
        3. An apparently lifeless area of water.
  2. An empty or forsaken place; a wasteland: a cultural desert.
  3. Archaic. A wild, uncultivated, and uninhabited region.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm272/tigerthetigger/country/desert.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/ryanbrettbell/desert.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu25/spiritheart12/sand.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu164/srego2007/YuccaSunset.jpg
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k342/Cwhitacre/Desert%20Oct%202008/IMG_0189.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww298/MosquitoBit3s/DesertLandscape.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd64/Bparker1880/DesertFlowers.jpg
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Valsam75/desert-road.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/amandapaije/Cali%20Vaca/CaliVaca08015.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/Bigrob8/desertrats.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:48 am

He has been married twice and has 4 kids ranging in age 57-17.
Wives
Mildred Williams (m. 1949–1959) (divorced)
Kimberley Conrad (m. 1989–present) (seperated)

Kids
Christie Hefner (born 1952)...she took over the business at one point.
David Hefner (born 1955)
Marston Hefner (born 1990)
Cooper Hefner (born 1991)

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:53 am

The person of the day...Richard Burton
Richard Burton, CBE (10 November 1925 – 5 August 1984) was a Welsh actor. He was at one time the highest-paid actor in Hollywood and is closely associated in the public consciousness with his second wife, actress Elizabeth Taylor.
In 1952, Burton successfully made the transition to a Hollywood star; on the recommendation of Daphne du Maurier, he was given the leading role in My Cousin Rachel opposite Olivia de Havilland. Burton arrived on the Hollywood scene at a time when the studios were struggling. Television's rise was drawing away viewers and the studios looked to new stars and new film technology to staunch the bleeding. 20th Century Fox negotiated with Korda to borrow him for this film and a further two at $50,000 a film. The film was a critical success. It established Burton as a Hollywood leading man and won him his first Academy Award nomination and the Golden Globe Award for New Star of the Year - Actor. In Desert Rats (1953), Burton plays a young English captain in the North African campaign during World War II who takes charge of a hopelessly out-numbered Australian unit against the indominable Field Marshal Erwin Rommel (James Mason). Mason, another actor known for his distinctive voice and excellent elocution, became a friend of Burton's and introduced the new actor to the Hollywood crowd. In short order, he met Judy Garland, Greta Garbo, Stewart Granger, Jean Simmons, Deborah Kerr, and Cole Porter, and Burton met up again with Humphrey Bogart. At a party, he met a pregnant Elizabeth Taylor, then Mrs. Michael Wilding, whose first impression of Burton was that “he was rather full of himself. I seem to remember that he never stopped talking, and I had given him the cold fish eye”.

The following year he created a sensation by starring in The Robe, the first film to premiere in the wide-screen process Cinemascope, winning another Oscar nomination. Tyrone Power was originally cast in the role of Marcellus, a noble but decadent Roman who finds Christianity through his wife Jean Simmons and his Greek slave Victor Mature. It marked a resurgence in Biblical blockbusters. Burton was offered a seven-year, $1 million contract by Darryl Zanuck at Fox, but he turned it down, though later the contract was revived and he agreed to it. It has been suggested that remarks Burton made about blacklisting Hollywood while filming The Robe may have explained his failure to ever win an Oscar, despite receiving seven nominations.

In 1954, Burton took his most famous radio role, as the narrator in the original production of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood, a role he would reprise in the film version twenty years later. He was also the narrator, as Winston Churchill, in the highly successful television documentary series The Valiant Years in 1960.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/needler/richardburton.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/ginsoak/RichardBurton.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/Willithesaint/Movies/burton-hamlet.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/SandyS_01/Burtontylor.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:56 am

The co-person of the day...Alec Guinness

Sir Alec Guinness, CH, CBE, (2 April 1914 – 5 August 2000) was an English actor.
Guinness first worked writing copy for advertising before making his debut at the Albery Theatre in 1936 at the age of 22, playing the role of Osric in John Gielgud's wildly successful production of Hamlet. During this time he worked with many actors and actresses who would become his friends and frequent co-stars in the future, including John Gielgud, Peggy Ashcroft, Anthony Quayle, and Jack Hawkins. An early influence from afar was Stan Laurel, whom Guinness admired.

Guinness continued playing Shakespearean roles throughout his career. In 1937 he played the role of Aumerle in Richard II and Lorenzo in The Merchant of Venice under the direction of John Gielgud. He starred in a 1938 production of Hamlet which won him acclaim on both sides of the Atlantic. He also appeared as Romeo in a production of Romeo and Juliet (1939), Andrew Aguecheek in Twelfth Night and as Exeter in Henry V in 1937, both opposite Laurence Olivier, and Ferdinand in The Tempest, opposite Gielgud as Prospero.

In 1939, he adapted Charles Dickens' novel Great Expectations for the stage, playing the part of Herbert Pocket. The play was a success. One of its viewers was a young British film editor named David Lean, who had Guinness reprise his role in the former's 1946 film adaptation of the play.

Guinness served in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve in World War II, serving first as a seaman in 1941 and being commissioned the following year. He commanded a landing craft taking part in the invasion of Sicily and Elba and later ferried supplies to the Yugoslav partisans.

During the war, he appeared in Terence Rattigan's West End Play for RAF Bomber Command, Flare Path.
uinness won particular acclaim for his work with director David Lean. After appearing in Lean's Great Expectations and Oliver Twist, he was given a starring role opposite William Holden in The Bridge on the River Kwai. For his performance as Colonel Nicholson, the unyielding British POW leader, Guinness won an Academy Award for Best Actor. Despite a difficult and often hostile relationship, Lean, referring to Guinness as "my good luck charm", continued to cast Guinness in character roles in his later films: Arab leader Prince Feisal in Lawrence of Arabia; the title character's half-brother, Bolshevik leader Yevgraf, in Doctor Zhivago; and Indian mystic Godbole in A Passage to India. He was also offered a role in Lean's adaptation of Ryan's Daughter (1970), but declined.

Other famous roles of this time period included The Swan (1956) with Grace Kelly in her last film role, The Horse's Mouth (1958) in which Guinness played the part of drunken painter Gulley Jimson as well as contributing the screenplay, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Tunes of Glory (1960), Damn the Defiant! (1962), The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), The Quiller Memorandum (1966), Marley's Ghost in Scrooge (1970), Charles I of England in Cromwell (1970), and the title role in Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973) (which he considered his best film performance; critics disagreed).

He won a Tony Award for his Broadway triumph as poet Dylan Thomas in Dylan. He followed this success by playing the title role in Macbeth opposite Simone Signoret at the Royal Court Theatre in 1966, one of the most conspicuous failures of his career.

From the 1970s, Guinness made regular television appearances, including the part of George Smiley in the serializations of two novels by John le Carré: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Le Carré was so impressed by Guinness's performance as Smiley that he based his characterization of Smiley in subsequent novels on Guinness. One of his last appearances was in the acclaimed BBC drama Eskimo Day.

Guinness received his fifth Oscar nomination for his performance in Charles Dickens' Little Dorrit in 1989. He received an honorary Oscar in 1980 "for advancing the art of screen acting through a host of memorable and distinguished performances."

Star Wars

Guinness' role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, beginning in 1977, brought him worldwide recognition by a new generation. Guinness agreed to take the part on the condition that he would not have to do publicity to promote the film. He was also one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit and negotiated a deal for two percent of the gross, which made him very wealthy in later life. His role would also result in a Golden Globe Nomination and Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Despite this, Guinness was never happy with being identified with the part, and expressed dismay at the fan following that the Star Wars trilogy attracted. In the DVD commentary of Star Wars: A New Hope, director George Lucas says that Guinness was not happy with the script re-write in which Obi-Wan is killed. However, Guinness stated in a 1999 interview that it was actually his idea to kill off Obi Wan, persuading Lucas that it would make him a stronger character. Lucas agreed to the idea, but Guinness confided in the interview, "What I didn't tell Lucas was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo." He continued by saying that he "shrivelled up" every time Star Wars was mentioned to him. Despite his dislike, fellow cast members Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Anthony Daniels, and Carrie Fisher (as well as Lucas) have spoken highly of his courtesy and professionalism on and off the set, wherein he did not let his distaste for the material show to his co-stars. Lucas credited him with inspiring fellow cast and crew to work harder, saying he was instrumental in helping to complete filming of the movies.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e158/dash007/Celebrities/guiness.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/elveen/alec_guinness.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 6:48 am

Honorary mention...Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe (June 1, 1926 – August 5, 1962), born Norma Jeane Mortenson, but baptized Norma Jeane Baker, was an American actress, singer, and model.

After spending much of her childhood in foster homes, Monroe began a career as a model, which led to a film contract in 1946. Her early roles were minor, but her performances in The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve (both 1950) were well received. She was praised for her comedic ability in such films as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire, and The Seven Year Itch, and became one of Hollywood's most popular and glamorous performers.

The typecasting of Monroe's "dumb blonde" persona limited her career prospects, so she broadened her range. She studied at the Actors Studio and formed Marilyn Monroe Productions. Her dramatic performance in William Inge's Bus Stop was hailed by critics, and she won a Golden Globe Award for her performance in Some Like it Hot.

The final years of Monroe's life were marked by illness, personal problems, and a reputation for being unreliable and difficult to work with. The circumstances of her death, from an overdose of barbiturates, have been the subject of conjecture. Though officially classified as a "probable suicide," the possibility of an accidental overdose has not been ruled out, while conspiracy theorists argue that she was murdered.

In 1999, Monroe was ranked as the sixth greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/FindStuff2/Entertainment%20and%20Celebrities/Marilyn%20Monroe/Milton-H--Greene-Marilyn-Monroe---B.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv339/Shabannie/Marilyn%20Monroe/marilyn.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/05/09 at 7:09 am

Don't think he did.  ???

Written By: Howard on 08/05/09 at 7:13 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00675/old1_675942c.jpg

Marilyn Monroe if she were alive today at 83.^

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 7:44 am

Don't think he did.  ???

He was twice and has 4 kids
Wives

Kids
David Hefner (born 1955)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 7:54 am

The word of the day...Desert
  1.  A barren or desolate area, especially:
        1. A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.
        2. A region of permanent cold that is largely or entirely devoid of life.
        3. An apparently lifeless area of water.
  2. An empty or forsaken place; a wasteland: a cultural desert.
  3. Archaic. A wild, uncultivated, and uninhabited region.
Very dry!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 7:55 am

Wives

Kids
David Hefner (born 1955)
Thanks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 7:56 am

Sir Alec Guinness, CH, CBE, (2 April 1914 – 5 August 2000) was an English actor.
Guinness first worked writing copy for advertising before making his debut at the Albery Theatre in 1936 at the age of 22, playing the role of Osric in John Gielgud's wildly successful production of Hamlet. During this time he worked with many actors and actresses who would become his friends and frequent co-stars in the future, including John Gielgud, Peggy Ashcroft, Anthony Quayle, and Jack Hawkins. An early influence from afar was Stan Laurel, whom Guinness admired.

Guinness continued playing Shakespearean roles throughout his career. In 1937 he played the role of Aumerle in Richard II and Lorenzo in The Merchant of Venice under the direction of John Gielgud. He starred in a 1938 production of Hamlet which won him acclaim on both sides of the Atlantic. He also appeared as Romeo in a production of Romeo and Juliet (1939), Andrew Aguecheek in Twelfth Night and as Exeter in Henry V in 1937, both opposite Laurence Olivier, and Ferdinand in The Tempest, opposite Gielgud as Prospero.

In 1939, he adapted Charles Dickens' novel Great Expectations for the stage, playing the part of Herbert Pocket. The play was a success. One of its viewers was a young British film editor named David Lean, who had Guinness reprise his role in the former's 1946 film adaptation of the play.

Guinness served in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve in World War II, serving first as a seaman in 1941 and being commissioned the following year. He commanded a landing craft taking part in the invasion of Sicily and Elba and later ferried supplies to the Yugoslav partisans.

During the war, he appeared in Terence Rattigan's West End Play for RAF Bomber Command, Flare Path.
uinness won particular acclaim for his work with director David Lean. After appearing in Lean's Great Expectations and Oliver Twist, he was given a starring role opposite William Holden in The Bridge on the River Kwai. For his performance as Colonel Nicholson, the unyielding British POW leader, Guinness won an Academy Award for Best Actor. Despite a difficult and often hostile relationship, Lean, referring to Guinness as "my good luck charm", continued to cast Guinness in character roles in his later films: Arab leader Prince Feisal in Lawrence of Arabia; the title character's half-brother, Bolshevik leader Yevgraf, in Doctor Zhivago; and Indian mystic Godbole in A Passage to India. He was also offered a role in Lean's adaptation of Ryan's Daughter (1970), but declined.

Other famous roles of this time period included The Swan (1956) with Grace Kelly in her last film role, The Horse's Mouth (1958) in which Guinness played the part of drunken painter Gulley Jimson as well as contributing the screenplay, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Tunes of Glory (1960), Damn the Defiant! (1962), The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), The Quiller Memorandum (1966), Marley's Ghost in Scrooge (1970), Charles I of England in Cromwell (1970), and the title role in Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973) (which he considered his best film performance; critics disagreed).

He won a Tony Award for his Broadway triumph as poet Dylan Thomas in Dylan. He followed this success by playing the title role in Macbeth opposite Simone Signoret at the Royal Court Theatre in 1966, one of the most conspicuous failures of his career.

From the 1970s, Guinness made regular television appearances, including the part of George Smiley in the serializations of two novels by John le Carré: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Le Carré was so impressed by Guinness's performance as Smiley that he based his characterization of Smiley in subsequent novels on Guinness. One of his last appearances was in the acclaimed BBC drama Eskimo Day.

Guinness received his fifth Oscar nomination for his performance in Charles Dickens' Little Dorrit in 1989. He received an honorary Oscar in 1980 "for advancing the art of screen acting through a host of memorable and distinguished performances."

Star Wars

Guinness' role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, beginning in 1977, brought him worldwide recognition by a new generation. Guinness agreed to take the part on the condition that he would not have to do publicity to promote the film. He was also one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit and negotiated a deal for two percent of the gross, which made him very wealthy in later life. His role would also result in a Golden Globe Nomination and Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Despite this, Guinness was never happy with being identified with the part, and expressed dismay at the fan following that the Star Wars trilogy attracted. In the DVD commentary of Star Wars: A New Hope, director George Lucas says that Guinness was not happy with the script re-write in which Obi-Wan is killed. However, Guinness stated in a 1999 interview that it was actually his idea to kill off Obi Wan, persuading Lucas that it would make him a stronger character. Lucas agreed to the idea, but Guinness confided in the interview, "What I didn't tell Lucas was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo." He continued by saying that he "shrivelled up" every time Star Wars was mentioned to him. Despite his dislike, fellow cast members Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Anthony Daniels, and Carrie Fisher (as well as Lucas) have spoken highly of his courtesy and professionalism on and off the set, wherein he did not let his distaste for the material show to his co-stars. Lucas credited him with inspiring fellow cast and crew to work harder, saying he was instrumental in helping to complete filming of the movies.
One of the distinctive voices to had ever lived

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/09 at 8:06 am

Wives

Kids
David Hefner (born 1955)

He refuses to divorce Kimberly they haven't lived under the same roof since 1990.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 8:09 am

He refuses to divorce Kimberly they haven't lived under the same roof since 1990.
Problem with money if divorced?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/09 at 8:11 am

Problem with money if divorced?

No, for some odd reason he takes marriage very seriously.  It's the fidelity part he has problems with.

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 8:34 am

Ugh :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 10:12 am

I think the hair would be different.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 10:39 am

In Upper St. Martin's Lane, in London on the building of the old premises of Equity (the Actor's Union) is a plaque erected by the British Film Institute for Alec Guinness.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 11:12 am

Star Wars

Lawrence Of Arabia is a personal fav of mine.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 11:24 am

Post #10000

Written By: nally on 08/05/09 at 11:39 am

Congratz to Philip for making reply number 10000 to this thread. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 11:39 am

Someone had to, and I did not want it to go un-notice.

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 1:01 pm

Post #10000

Someone had to, and I did not want it to go un-notice.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/woodson77/yippee.gif

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 1:03 pm

One of the distinctive voices to had ever lived

Yes indeed,as was Mr. Burtons.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 1:06 pm

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/woodson77/yippee.gif
Bring on the dancing penguins.

Written By: Frank on 08/05/09 at 1:16 pm

Honorary mention...Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe (June 1, 1926 – August 5, 1962), born Norma Jeane Mortenson, but baptized Norma Jeane Baker, was an American actress, singer, and model.

After spending much of her childhood in foster homes, Monroe began a career as a model, which led to a film contract in 1946. Her early roles were minor, but her performances in The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve (both 1950) were well received. She was praised for her comedic ability in such films as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire, and The Seven Year Itch, and became one of Hollywood's most popular and glamorous performers.

The typecasting of Monroe's "dumb blonde" persona limited her career prospects, so she broadened her range. She studied at the Actors Studio and formed Marilyn Monroe Productions. Her dramatic performance in William Inge's Bus Stop was hailed by critics, and she won a Golden Globe Award for her performance in Some Like it Hot.

The final years of Monroe's life were marked by illness, personal problems, and a reputation for being unreliable and difficult to work with. The circumstances of her death, from an overdose of barbiturates, have been the subject of conjecture. Though officially classified as a "probable suicide," the possibility of an accidental overdose has not been ruled out, while conspiracy theorists argue that she was murdered.

In 1999, Monroe was ranked as the sixth greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/FindStuff2/Entertainment%20and%20Celebrities/Marilyn%20Monroe/Milton-H--Greene-Marilyn-Monroe---B.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv339/Shabannie/Marilyn%20Monroe/marilyn.jpg

The greatest sex symbol ever, not even questionable .

Written By: Howard on 08/05/09 at 2:09 pm

I think the hair would be different.

Her hair would be more grayer.

Written By: gibbo on 08/05/09 at 3:55 pm

Wow ninny...some real heavyweights this time...Guiness, Burton and Monroe!  :o  Loved almost all of their films...

... and loved those desert pics ... especially the pyramid pic and the mesa's...just breathtaking scenes...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 3:58 pm

Wow ninny...some real heavyweights this time...Guiness, Burton and Monroe!  :o  Loved almost all of their films...
Now can we played Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but connecting Guiness, Burton and Monroe only together?

Written By: gibbo on 08/05/09 at 4:01 pm

Now can we played Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but connecting Guiness, Burton and Monroe only together?

Well I can connect Burton with Mature (person from yesterday) ... as they were both in The Robe.

Written By: gibbo on 08/05/09 at 4:04 pm

Guinness and Burton were in The Comedians (1967) together and Burton was strongly rumoured to have had an affair with Monroe while married to Liz Taylor!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 4:07 pm

..... Burton was strongly rumoured to have had an affair with Monroe while married to Liz Taylor!
Tell me who did not?

Written By: gibbo on 08/05/09 at 4:09 pm

Tell me who did not?

Yes, I would have offered to give comfort to Liz while he was off with others... ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 4:14 pm

Guinness and Burton were in The Comedians (1967) together and Burton was strongly rumoured to have had an affair with Monroe while married to Liz Taylor!
Marilyn Monroe to Alec Guiness:

Marilyn Monroe
was in
The Misfits (1961)
with
John Huston (I)
was in
Lovesick (1983)
with
Alec Guinness

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:06 pm

... and loved those desert pics ... especially the pyramid pic and the mesa's...just breathtaking scenes...

It was a rare and special day to have 3 great people pass on the same day...It is also my grandmothers day of birth.
The desert can be quite breathtaking.

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:07 pm

Well I can connect Burton with Mature (person from yesterday) ... as they were both in The Robe.

I was wondering if someone would mention that.

Written By: ninny on 08/05/09 at 5:12 pm

Yes, I would have offered to give comfort to Liz while he was off with others... ;)

So kind of you..lets see you were between 4- 16 at the time ;D

# Richard Burton (15 March 1964 – 26 June 1974) (divorced)
# Richard Burton (again) (10 October 1975 – 29 July 1976)

Written By: gibbo on 08/05/09 at 6:30 pm

So kind of you..lets see you were between 4- 16 at the time ;D

# Richard Burton (15 March 1964 – 26 June 1974) (divorced)
# Richard Burton (again) (10 October 1975 – 29 July 1976)

Aged 16 yrs....hmmm... that would have worked just fine for me!  ::)

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 6:12 am

The word of the day...Court
A court that hears cases and makes decisions based on statutes or the common law.
        1. An extent of open ground partially or completely enclosed by walls or buildings; a courtyard.
        2. (Abbr. Ct.) A short street, especially a wide alley walled by buildings on three sides.
        3. A large open section of a building, often with a glass roof or skylight.
        4. A large building, such as a mansion, standing in a courtyard.
        1. The place of residence of a sovereign or dignitary; a royal mansion or palace.
        2. The retinue of a sovereign, including the royal family and personal servants, advisers, and ministers.
        3. A sovereign's governing body, including the council of ministers and state advisers.
        4. A formal meeting or reception presided over by a sovereign.
  3. Law.
        1. A person or body of persons whose task is to hear and submit a decision on cases at law.
        2. The building, hall, or room in which such cases are heard and determined.
        3. The regular session of a judicial assembly.
        4. A similar authorized tribunal having military or ecclesiastical jurisdiction.
  4. Sports. An open level area marked with appropriate lines, upon which a game, such as tennis, handball, or basketball, is played.
  5. The body of directors of an organization, especially of a corporation.
  6. A legislative assembly.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/msjamiejbird/SANY1244.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/creative_recriation/basketball_court.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/look_theres_a_fish_in_the_tree/P6293311.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/kcaadlsmith/StateTennisTournament09012.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/gabylin1/IMG_0114.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/NiffyDyke/Places/Courtyard.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/dbrddr/Summer%202009%20-%20Cambridge/July%2031-%20Hampton%20Court%20Palace/100_7616.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/06/09 at 6:13 am

A court that hears cases and makes decisions based on statutes or the common law.
         1. An extent of open ground partially or completely enclosed by walls or buildings; a courtyard.
         2. (Abbr. Ct.) A short street, especially a wide alley walled by buildings on three sides.
         3. A large open section of a building, often with a glass roof or skylight.
         4. A large building, such as a mansion, standing in a courtyard.
         1. The place of residence of a sovereign or dignitary; a royal mansion or palace.
         2. The retinue of a sovereign, including the royal family and personal servants, advisers, and ministers.
         3. A sovereign's governing body, including the council of ministers and state advisers.
         4. A formal meeting or reception presided over by a sovereign.
   3. Law.
         1. A person or body of persons whose task is to hear and submit a decision on cases at law.
         2. The building, hall, or room in which such cases are heard and determined.
         3. The regular session of a judicial assembly.
         4. A similar authorized tribunal having military or ecclesiastical jurisdiction.
   4. Sports. An open level area marked with appropriate lines, upon which a game, such as tennis, handball, or basketball, is played.
   5. The body of directors of an organization, especially of a corporation.
   6. A legislative assembly.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/msjamiejbird/SANY1244.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/creative_recriation/basketball_court.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/look_theres_a_fish_in_the_tree/P6293311.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/kcaadlsmith/StateTennisTournament09012.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/gabylin1/IMG_0114.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/NiffyDyke/Places/Courtyard.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/dbrddr/Summer%202009%20-%20Cambridge/July%2031-%20Hampton%20Court%20Palace/100_7616.jpg

and I've seen some huge courts. :o

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 6:19 am

The person of the day...Cedric Hardwicke
Sir Cedric Webster Hardwicke KBE (19 February 1893 - 6 August 1964) was a noted English actor.
performance as a Japanese diplomat. In 1928 he married English actress Helena Pickard.

His first appearance in an English film was in 1931. In December 1935, Cedric Hardwicke was elected Rede Lecturer to Cambridge University for 1936. In 1939 Hardwicke was in Hollywood for film work there. He played Dr. David Livingstone opposite Spencer Tracy's Henry Morton Stanley in the 1939 film classic, Stanley and Livingstone and was also memorable as Jehan Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, with Charles Laughton as Quasimodo. He continued his stage career touring and in New York.

In 1944 he returned to England, again touring, and reappeared on the London stage, at the Westminster Theatre, on 29 March 1945, as Richard Varwell in a revival of Eden and Adelaide Phillpotts comedy Yellow Sands, and subsequently toured in this on the Continent. He returned to America late in 1945 and appeared with Ethel Barrymore in December in a revival of Shaw's Pygmalion, and continued on the New York the following year. in 1951-1952, he appeared on Broadway in Shaw's Don Juan in Hell with Agnes Moorehead, Charles Boyer, and Charles Laughton.

Despite having played in such film classics as Les Misérables (1935), King Solomon's Mines (1937), The Keys of the Kingdom (1944), The Winslow Boy (1948) and Olivier's Richard III (1955), Hardwicke is now remembered chiefly for his role as King Arthur in the comedy/musical, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949), singing Busy Doing Nothing in a trio with Bing Crosby and William Bendix, and for his portrayal of the Pharaoh Seti I in Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 film The Ten Commandments.

In the 1961-1962 television season, Hardwicke starred as Professor Crayton in Gertrude Berg's sitcom Mrs. G. Goes to College, which ran for twenty-six weeks on CBS. The story line had Berg attending college as a 62-year-old widowed freshman studying under Hardwicke, with whom she had previously acted. Earlier, Hardwicke had guest starred on the Howard Duff and Ida Lupino CBS sitcom Mr. Adams and Eve.

Hardwicke's son is the actor Edward Hardwicke, who became well-known for playing Dr. Watson on British television in the 1980s and 1990s.

He died at the age of 71 in New York City. He was buried in London's Golders Green Crematorium.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Cedric_Hardwicke_fsa_8b09659.jpg/220px-Cedric_Hardwicke_fsa_8b09659.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Hardwicke&usg=__vPdgrKn-pZxIijG1i5FuJJlV4pM=&h=281&w=220&sz=16&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=3zNulOMwEl1ByM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=89&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcedric%2Bhardwicke%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://gammillustrations.bizland.com/monsterkid5/5_images/gallow_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gammillustrations.bizland.com/monsterkid5/gallow2.html&usg=__2xdDoyxpuqysnPBEJzpOpEbP0Uo=&h=401&w=500&sz=47&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=ZwZE3y3C3VLSSM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcedric%2Bhardwicke%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

* I could not find his pic on Photobucket so I hope these images turn out.

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 6:22 am

The co -person of the day...Rick James
Rick James (February 1, 1948 – August 6, 2004) was an American musician. James was a popular R&B and funk singer in the late 1970s and 1980s, scoring four #1 hits on the U.S. R&B charts. Among his best-known songs are "Give It to Me Baby" and "Super Freak". In addition to his music, he gained notoriety for his wild lifestyle: later in life, James' drug abuse led to widely publicized legal problems.
James's breakthrough was "You and I", an eight-minute single from his 1978 debut album Come Get It!. The album also featured his ode to marijuana, "Mary Jane".

In 1981 he recorded a concept album entitled Street Songs, which included James's signature song "Super Freak". The song featured guest vocals by The Temptations, and was sampled for MC Hammer's 1990 Grammy Award-winning song "U Can't Touch This", as well as Jay-Z's "Kingdom Come", released in 2006. Other hits from Street Songs included "Give It to Me Baby", "Fire and Desire" with protégé Teena Marie, and "Ghetto Life".

The stream of hits continued into the mid-1980s with "Teardrops", "Cold Blooded", "17", "You Turn Me On", "Can't Stop", and "Glow". His last R&B hit was "Loosey's Rap" in 1989, featuring a rap by Roxanne Shante. During this period, he also helped launch the Mary Jane Girls and produced and wrote Eddie Murphy's one hit, "Party All the Time".

While he is best known for his up tempo songs in pop circles, the R&B world also remembers him as one of the premier soul balladeers in the late seventies and early eighties. He recorded an early eighties hit with Motown legend Smokey Robinson entitled "Ebony Eyes" that captures his voice almost as well as "Fire And Desire".

During this time, he guest-starred on an episode of The A-Team entitled "The Heart of Rock N' Roll", in which he played himself and performed at a prison concert singing "Super Freak". Isaac Hayes also guest starred in this episode.
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww308/chusoblu/rick_james_180.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh186/brandonp32/rick-james.jpg

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 6:28 am

* honorary mention....Pope Paul VI
Pope Paul VI (Latin: Paulus PP. VI; Italian: Paolo VI), born Giovanni Battista Enrico Antonio Maria Montini (26 September 1897 – 6 August 1978), reigned as Pope of the Roman Catholic Church and Sovereign of Vatican City from 1963 to 1978. Succeeding Pope John XXIII, who had convened the Second Vatican Council, he decided to continue it. He fostered improved ecumenical relations with Orthodox, Anglicans and Protestants, which resulted in a number of historic meetings and agreements.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/operadiva1982/Pope4.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z128/eggman_walrus/annastasia.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/06/09 at 6:37 am

The co -person of the day...Rick James
Rick James (February 1, 1948 – August 6, 2004) was an American musician. James was a popular R&B and funk singer in the late 1970s and 1980s, scoring four #1 hits on the U.S. R&B charts. Among his best-known songs are "Give It to Me Baby" and "Super Freak". In addition to his music, he gained notoriety for his wild lifestyle: later in life, James' drug abuse led to widely publicized legal problems.
James's breakthrough was "You and I", an eight-minute single from his 1978 debut album Come Get It!. The album also featured his ode to marijuana, "Mary Jane".

In 1981 he recorded a concept album entitled Street Songs, which included James's signature song "Super Freak". The song featured guest vocals by The Temptations, and was sampled for MC Hammer's 1990 Grammy Award-winning song "U Can't Touch This", as well as Jay-Z's "Kingdom Come", released in 2006. Other hits from Street Songs included "Give It to Me Baby", "Fire and Desire" with protégé Teena Marie, and "Ghetto Life".

The stream of hits continued into the mid-1980s with "Teardrops", "Cold Blooded", "17", "You Turn Me On", "Can't Stop", and "Glow". His last R&B hit was "Loosey's Rap" in 1989, featuring a rap by Roxanne Shante. During this period, he also helped launch the Mary Jane Girls and produced and wrote Eddie Murphy's one hit, "Party All the Time".

While he is best known for his up tempo songs in pop circles, the R&B world also remembers him as one of the premier soul balladeers in the late seventies and early eighties. He recorded an early eighties hit with Motown legend Smokey Robinson entitled "Ebony Eyes" that captures his voice almost as well as "Fire And Desire".

During this time, he guest-starred on an episode of The A-Team entitled "The Heart of Rock N' Roll", in which he played himself and performed at a prison concert singing "Super Freak". Isaac Hayes also guest starred in this episode.
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww308/chusoblu/rick_james_180.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh186/brandonp32/rick-james.jpg

Thanks Ninny I was just about to mention it to you. ;D

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 7:59 am

Thanks Ninny I was just about to mention it to you. ;D

I thought you would appreciate it. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 9:22 am

http://z.about.com/d/golondon/1/0/d/L/-/-/HamptonCourtPalace2.jpg

Hampton Court Palace on a rainy day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 9:25 am

I thought it was that is Hampton Court Palace

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Hampton-Court-E.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 9:25 am

http://z.about.com/d/golondon/1/0/d/L/-/-/HamptonCourtPalace2.jpg

Hampton Court Palace on a rainy day.
Yes, I have been there a few times and itching to go again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 9:28 am

The person of the day...Cedric Hardwicke
Sir Cedric Webster Hardwicke KBE (19 February 1893 - 6 August 1964) was a noted English actor.
performance as a Japanese diplomat. In 1928 he married English actress Helena Pickard.

His first appearance in an English film was in 1931. In December 1935, Cedric Hardwicke was elected Rede Lecturer to Cambridge University for 1936. In 1939 Hardwicke was in Hollywood for film work there. He played Dr. David Livingstone opposite Spencer Tracy's Henry Morton Stanley in the 1939 film classic, Stanley and Livingstone and was also memorable as Jehan Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, with Charles Laughton as Quasimodo. He continued his stage career touring and in New York.

In 1944 he returned to England, again touring, and reappeared on the London stage, at the Westminster Theatre, on 29 March 1945, as Richard Varwell in a revival of Eden and Adelaide Phillpotts comedy Yellow Sands, and subsequently toured in this on the Continent. He returned to America late in 1945 and appeared with Ethel Barrymore in December in a revival of Shaw's Pygmalion, and continued on the New York the following year. in 1951-1952, he appeared on Broadway in Shaw's Don Juan in Hell with Agnes Moorehead, Charles Boyer, and Charles Laughton.

Despite having played in such film classics as Les Misérables (1935), King Solomon's Mines (1937), The Keys of the Kingdom (1944), The Winslow Boy (1948) and Olivier's Richard III (1955), Hardwicke is now remembered chiefly for his role as King Arthur in the comedy/musical, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949), singing Busy Doing Nothing in a trio with Bing Crosby and William Bendix, and for his portrayal of the Pharaoh Seti I in Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 film The Ten Commandments.

In the 1961-1962 television season, Hardwicke starred as Professor Crayton in Gertrude Berg's sitcom Mrs. G. Goes to College, which ran for twenty-six weeks on CBS. The story line had Berg attending college as a 62-year-old widowed freshman studying under Hardwicke, with whom she had previously acted. Earlier, Hardwicke had guest starred on the Howard Duff and Ida Lupino CBS sitcom Mr. Adams and Eve.

Hardwicke's son is the actor Edward Hardwicke, who became well-known for playing Dr. Watson on British television in the 1980s and 1990s.

He died at the age of 71 in New York City. He was buried in London's Golders Green Crematorium.

He is buried at the same London's Golders Green Crematorium as Peter Sellers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 9:31 am

* honorary mention....Pope Paul VI
Pope Paul VI (Latin: Paulus PP. VI; Italian: Paolo VI), born Giovanni Battista Enrico Antonio Maria Montini (26 September 1897 – 6 August 1978), reigned as Pope of the Roman Catholic Church and Sovereign of Vatican City from 1963 to 1978. Succeeding Pope John XXIII, who had convened the Second Vatican Council, he decided to continue it. He fostered improved ecumenical relations with Orthodox, Anglicans and Protestants, which resulted in a number of historic meetings and agreements.
On the day of Pope Paul VI death, my old manager wanted to apply for his job!

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 10:54 am

When was the last time it was in use?

He is buried at the same London's Golders Green Crematorium as Peter Sellers.

Interesting fact.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/06/09 at 11:29 am

Ohhh, Hampton Court. :)  The estate of Henry the 8th, also known to be haunted by women who were unfortunate enough to be his wives.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/06/09 at 11:31 am

On the day of Pope Paul VI death, my old manager wanted to apply for his job!

I'd have to look it up but I heard there's no real qualifications for the papacy.  Except for the conclave liking you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 11:53 am

Ohhh, Hampton Court. :)  The estate of Henry the 8th, also known to be haunted by women who were unfortunate enough to be his ives.
There is an exhibition on there at the moment on King Henry VIII and his wives.

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 11:53 am

I'd have to look it up but I heard there's no real qualifications for the papacy.  Except for the conclave liking you.

I think being Catholic might help ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 11:54 am

When was the last time it was in use?
Today, the palace is open to the public, and is a major tourist attraction. The palace's Home Park is the site of the annual Hampton Court Palace Festival and Hampton Court Palace Flower Show. Along with St. James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by Henry VIII.

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 11:56 am

Today, the palace is open to the public, and is a major tourist attraction. The palace's Home Park is the site of the annual Hampton Court Palace Festival and Hampton Court Palace Flower Show. Along with St. James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by Henry VIII.

Who was the last royal to reside there?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 12:00 pm

Who was the last royal to reside there?
After the death of Queen Mary, King William lost interest in the renovations, and work ceased. However, it was in Hampton Court Park in 1702 that he fell from his horse, later dying from his injuries at Kensington Palace. He was succeeded by his sister-in-law Queen Anne who continued the decoration and completion of the state apartments. On Queen Anne's death in 1714 the Stuart dynasty came to an end. Queen Annes's successor was George I; he and his son George II were the last monarchs to reside at Hampton Court.

Written By: ninny on 08/06/09 at 12:13 pm

After the death of Queen Mary, King William lost interest in the renovations, and work ceased. However, it was in Hampton Court Park in 1702 that he fell from his horse, later dying from his injuries at Kensington Palace. He was succeeded by his sister-in-law Queen Anne who continued the decoration and completion of the state apartments. On Queen Anne's death in 1714 the Stuart dynasty came to an end. Queen Annes's successor was George I; he and his son George II were the last monarchs to reside at Hampton Court.

So no one has lived there since the 1700's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 12:14 pm

So no one has lived there since the 1700's.
No royalty, I would think some staff do live there.

NEXT PAGE: ninny's Person & Word of the Day

Check for new replies or respond here...