inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: '80's candies
Written By: Chewy Chalk Hunter on 06/09/04 at 6:13 pm

I am trying to find out if Chewy Chalk is still made and if so, where can I get some!? :D
Subject: Re: '80's candies
Written By: Cheryl on 06/13/04 at 1:30 am

Check out www.hometownfavorites.com

they have tons of candy & foods. They do retro & decade boxes, I dont know about your specific candy but you can check it out there.
Written By: saver on 06/13/04 at 4:09 am

Wow! I have 2 bags that I saved for sale one day at $5.00 each includes mailing in the US...maybe this is the day? BUT... I never opened the packages,As it is a food product, it was kept in a dark bag in a drawer for use one day to a collector who wants to show an unopened package (I think they pulled it from the market because it was bad or encouraged youngsters to really think chalk was candy.

In any case, the candy seems like it developed moisture inside its own sealed package so it may be gooey or it most likely melted together???

If you're still interested, write me: gilsbro@yahoo.com

Sorry to think it may at this point be inedible?? But it makes a good original collectable. 
Written By: jen on 05/13/05 at 7:23 pm

I am trying to find out if Chewy Chalk is still made and if so, where can I get some!? :D

My sisters and I thought that we were crazy trying to track this candy down...we are relieved to see that we are not alone in our efforts!!
Anyone that finds this email me cause Im just an 80s kid looking for that yummy middle that came in chewy chalk that cannot be replaced by any other candy!!!
Written By: saver on 05/13/05 at 11:51 pm

Got as far as possible.

The company who made it was LEAF which was taken over by Hersheys..talked with the company who said it was discontinued..

I saved  a bag since the late 80's I believe and it is a bit mushy due to it being unopened and would think the sugar liquidized..the inside was basically a little licorice type nub..then the hollowed out licorice had a little sugar candy filling.

So, soory you can't find it..I may have the ONLY bag or two in existence...I will sell it but would not guarentee it being edible but for collectors who want to show off types of candy made over the years that didn't work..it is perfectly sealed and maybe an ounce in weight-(will give exact info if needed for sale).

Starting price $2.50.

Thanks,
Saver
Written By: k on 06/23/05 at 6:42 pm

great news!!!
found chewy chalk!!!
click here:
http://www.candydirect.com/bulk/Licorice-Chalk.html
Written By: saver on 06/27/05 at 1:27 pm

The picture looks like an 'updated' version..I still have the package of .4ozs.(?) with the white coating and red licoricecandy inside..unopened since the late 80's 90's.

The original company told me they no longer make it by the package or from their company.
Still for sale by mail by me. 1 package left. 
Written By: Sweetness on 08/26/05 at 12:29 am

OH MY GOD!!!! I thought I was crazy!!!! Im glad there are other people out there that at least remember this!!! I used to buy it by the bags full at the Girls Club after school!!! I wish they still made it!!