inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Searching for DOS based game name late 80's
Written By: iceboxdad on 02/08/05 at 9:23 am

I was never sure what the game's name was that i played on a friends computer in the late 80's it might have been 89 anyway, I was never a D & D player but I think it was similar except it was one player, only here is what I remember: As your player would move click by click through a room different animals/monsters would attack, in the upper levels bats & rats as you would srike them they would die as they struck you you would lose life. You could gain new more powerful weapons and armor as well as find potions and magical weapons but has you went along the monsters became much more powerful and dangerous. I think it had something like 34 levels.

If you have heard of this I would like to know the name of the game and where to find.
Thanks
RW
Subject: Re: Searching for DOS based game name late 80's
Written By: Rex on 02/12/05 at 11:12 am

Sounds a lot like Night Stalker, but as far as I know that game was only released on Intellivision. -- After further review, I remember seeing it for the PC as well.
Written By: iceboxdad on 02/24/05 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for the post but the name Night Stalker doesn't sound familar at all. I think it was more along the lines of Medievel or Dungeons & Dragons type of name. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Written By: AchtungBaby on 03/01/05 at 8:26 pm

Is the game the Legend of Zelda?
Written By: Kryllith on 03/01/05 at 9:36 pm

What were the graphics like? Was it 3-D, topdown, or some combination? An early game topdown game like that would be Rogue, which used ascii characters for the map, monsters, and character. As such, it was very basic in design. If it was something with more advanced graphics, then it could be lots of things. It sounds to me like you were in a dungeon the whole time, which would rule out the Bard's Tale games, but it could be Aklabeth (and predecessor of the Ultima series). Since you indicated that it was late 80s, I'd suggest perhaps Dungeon Hack, which IS a Dungeons and Dragons product and was a step-by-step dungeon crawl (iirc). The thing about Hack was that it would randomly generate the dungeon so if you died and started over you could start with a complete new dungeon (actually Rogue did this too).

You mentioned that it's for one player (which is typical for many rpgs), but did you only play one character or were you in control of a party of characters?

Kryllith
Written By: Bananarama on 03/09/05 at 11:54 pm

Was it Guardian Legend for Commodore?
Written By: topdogger on 03/22/05 at 8:32 pm

I was just looking for the same game and asked my cousing(on msn).  He was the one who owned the game.  Its an older DOS game.  He says its called Quest For Glory
Written By: Steve on 03/30/05 at 5:53 pm

I was just looking for the same game and asked my cousing(on msn).  He was the one who owned the game.  Its an older DOS game.  He says its called Quest For Glory

Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3347
Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/31/05 at 9:28 am

bard's tale?
Written By: reamsc on 04/25/05 at 6:06 am

I beleive I know the game you are looking for.  It is called Hack.  It starts out asking for your name and then asks you if you would like to select what type of character you want to be(Caveman, Knight, Wizard, Tourist, Spelologist, or Fighter) and then starts you out on the first level. You have a dog represented by a lowercase "d" and humans are represented by a "@".  Almost all of the letters of the alphabet are used to represent the monsters throughout the dungeon.  The goal is to get to the 31st level which is the plane of Hell and retrieve the amulet of Yedor.  There are scrolls, rings, armor, weapons, potions, gems, and some other items of interest to be found in the game.  The items found are randomely generated each time you start a new game so that a scroll labeled "DUAM XNAHT" may be a scroll of Enchant Armor in one game and in the next it would be a scroll of Detroy armor or one of many different typs.  The same is true for all items foune in ght dungeon.  When you die, your ghost may be found on that level in later games.  It is a pretty fun game to play.  The only problem is that it won't run properly on any operating system above 98SE.  If you know how to get it to work in systems above 98SE, let me know.  By the way, I have the game if you would like to get it.