inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Word Pronunciations

Written By: Tam on 02/16/09 at 1:20 pm

It's funny how our brains and tongues work.

I know the correct pronunciation of the word impotent - but my brain will sometimes spell it out and make me say it incorrectly. It will come out im-po-tant (like important without the R). There are other words that I say as well that are completely wrong, although I know the correct way.

ie. Cinnamon - I end up saying Cimmanin.

Nasty pronounces Crayons "crowns", Shrimp "scrimp", and Chipotle as "chi-pot-elle".

What words do you or others around you say differently from the correct pronunciation?

Subject: Re: Word Pronunciations

Written By: Jessica on 02/16/09 at 2:10 pm

AMINALS!  I also have a tendency to call pistachios "pismashios".

My grandmother used to say, "Warsh" for "wash".  Used to drive me nuts, but now I look back on it fondly and even find myself saying it sometimes!

Written By: karen on 02/16/09 at 2:28 pm

Elizabeth was doing something at school the other week on words with silent letters in them.  The teacher mentioned often as one.  Elizabeth always pronounces the 't' in that one and I alternate between often and offen.  Then the teach asked for suggestions from the class.  Someone suggested that mountain has a silent 't' in it.  Well, the way he said it, it does, "moun'ain"!  ;D

Another word I have trouble saying in my head is epitome.  I know how to say it but I always read it ep-ti-mome.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 02/16/09 at 2:31 pm

pasketti (or for others spa-ghe-tti). ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/09 at 2:38 pm

Water-I pronounce it wor der. When I was kid learning to spell-they told me to sound out words. So I used to spell it w-o-r-d-e-r.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 02/16/09 at 2:40 pm

pasketti (or for others spa-ghe-tti). ;D

one of my sisters-in-law says it that way

Written By: Howard on 02/16/09 at 2:41 pm

one of my sisters-in-law says it that way

does she have a speech impediment?  ???

Written By: karen on 02/16/09 at 2:46 pm

does she have a speech impediment?  ???

No!!!  ???

:-\\

Written By: Frank on 02/16/09 at 2:56 pm

TO-MAY-TO  TO-MAH-TO
PO-TAY-TO    PO-TAH-TO

Written By: Howard on 02/16/09 at 3:04 pm

TO-MAY-TO   TO-MAH-TO
PO-TAY-TO    PO-TAH-TO

Let's call the whole thing off.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/09 at 3:16 pm

Alumininunum

Pisghetti

Whushchestershirer

and

numistatisttisiisisis  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/09 at 4:28 pm

Alumininunum

Pisghetti

Whushchestershirer

and

numistatisttisiisisis  ;D

I pronounce it Woostersheerershire (like Bugs Bunny did in once).  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/16/09 at 4:45 pm

Illinois - It is Ill - i - noy (NOT Ill - i - noise)
Iowa - it has a short a on the end, not a long a

Pumpkin - my mother always says punkin

Written By: gibbo on 02/16/09 at 5:09 pm

I trip over longer words like ....compartmentalize (which is probbaly not a word anyway). I also have issues saying version...sometimes I say virgin (which amuses people no end). The more I think about not saying it...the more likely I am of stuffing it up!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/09 at 5:12 pm

I have NEVER been able to pronounce the word medicinal. I have to work at it to get it-and even then I have trouble.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/16/09 at 5:20 pm

I trip over longer words like ....compartmentalize (which is probbaly not a word anyway). I also have issues saying version...sometimes I say virgin (which amuses people no end). The more I think about not saying it...the more likely I am of stuffing it up!!
compartmentalize is a word - trees do it all of the time.  They get a wound and then to heal they have to compartmentalize the wound to seal it off to avoid further damage.

I have trouble with veterinarian (which is funny, because I worked for one and had to leave the messages on the answering machine) - I want to say Vetanarian or Vetarnary office

And Agriculturalist, I want to say agriculturist

Written By: statsqueen on 02/16/09 at 7:32 pm

ie. Cinnamon - I end up saying Cimmanin.

Tam, would it be ok if I told Micah that you have trouble with Cinnamon?  She has been struggling with that word since she was a child and it might help if she knows there are others who have trouble, too.

Written By: Tam on 02/16/09 at 7:47 pm

Tam, would it be ok if I told Micah that you have trouble with Cinnamon?  She has been struggling with that word since she was a child and it might help if she knows there are others who have trouble, too.

Be my guest! :)

I can say it right if I take a minute to think about it first, but without thinking about it - it always comes out cimmanin. You can also tell her that I am almost 38 years old and have had the problem my ENTIRE life. It used to bother me - but now I joke about it. Sometimes I even say it on purpose over and over again until it doesn't even sound like a word anymore. Just the silly things I do. 8) ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 02/16/09 at 8:14 pm

Be my guest! :)

I can say it right if I take a minute to think about it first, but without thinking about it - it always comes out cimmanin. You can also tell her that I am almost 38 years old and have had the problem my ENTIRE life. It used to bother me - but now I joke about it. Sometimes I even say it on purpose over and over again until it doesn't even sound like a word anymore. Just the silly things I do. 8) ;)

Thanks, Tam!  Yeah, she can say it about once every 10 times if she goes syllable by syllable.  She also jokes about it, but I think she would like to know that she isn't the only one.

Written By: karen on 02/16/09 at 8:48 pm

compartmentalize is a word - trees do it all of the time.  They get a wound and then to heal they have to compartmentalize the wound to seal it off to avoid further damage.

I have trouble with veterinarian (which is funny, because I worked for one and had to leave the messages on the answering machine) - I want to say Vetanarian or Vetarnary office

And Agriculturalist, I want to say agriculturist

Just don't mix up naturalist and naturist  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/16/09 at 8:54 pm

Just don't mix up naturalist and naturist  ;)
:o

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/09 at 10:04 am

I have to really pay attention when I say the word "vulnerable."  Something about the l and the n together just doesn't work right in my mouth.

I also say "problee" instead of "probably."

Elizabeth was doing something at school the other week on words with silent letters in them.  The teacher mentioned often as one.  Elizabeth always pronounces the 't' in that one and I alternate between often and offen.  Then the teach asked for suggestions from the class.  Someone suggested that mountain has a silent 't' in it.  Well, the way he said it, it does, "moun'ain"!  ;D

In Utah, nobody pronounces their t's.  So we say, offen, bu-un for button, moun'ain for mountain, and Lay-un for the city of Layton, just to name a few.

::)

Written By: Tam on 02/18/09 at 1:02 pm

The Son - who wants to become an author - has an issue with a word. Not that he can't say it right - he refuses to because he claims "that's not the way it is really supposed to be said". He also doesn't care that dictionary.com also pronounces it correctly, AND in the movie Twilight it is also said correctly. "Kristen Stewart is a horrible actor and she doesn't know what she is talking about" is what he just said to me.

That being said - the word is  IRREVOCABLY

pronounced:            ir-rev-acably
The Son says it is pronounced:          ir-re-voc-ably

Kids these days... I tell you what! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/09 at 9:33 pm

The Son - who wants to become an author - has an issue with a word. Not that he can't say it right - he refuses to because he claims "that's not the way it is really supposed to be said". He also doesn't care that dictionary.com also pronounces it correctly, AND in the movie Twilight it is also said correctly. "Kristen Stewart is a horrible actor and she doesn't know what she is talking about" is what he just said to me.

That being said - the word is  IRREVOCABLY

pronounced:            ir-rev-acably
The Son says it is pronounced:           ir-re-voc-ably

Kids these days... I tell you what! ;D

the son needs to find me some written proof!  ;D

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 7:30 pm

There's a couple of suburbs here; Warringah and Wahroonga - I always have to sound them out slowly (Waaa-ring-gah, Waaa-roong-gah) otherwise I sound like I'm drunk  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/20/09 at 7:39 pm

There's a couple of suburbs here; Warringah and Wahroonga - I always have to sound them out slowly (Waaa-ring-gah, Waaa-roong-gah) otherwise I sound like I'm drunk  ;D
The guy that came up with those names, WAS drunk ::)

;D ;D ;D

Written By: gibbo on 02/20/09 at 7:45 pm

The guy that came up with those names, WAS drunk ::)

;D ;D ;D

Not far off the mark...he was indigenous!  (i'm gonna pay gig time for that remark)

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/20/09 at 8:20 pm

Caramel. I've always pronounced it the way it looks - care-ah-mel. However, a lot of people I know pronounce it car-mul (carmel), so I never know what's the correct pronounciation.  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 8:22 pm

Caramel. I've always pronounced it the way it looks - care-ah-mel. However, a lot of people I know pronounce it car-mul (carmel), so I never know what's the correct pronounciation.  :-[

remember that commercial with Shaq?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E-iskQXfqo

OMG the kid is Perch Daggs III from VERONICA MARS!!!!!

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/20/09 at 10:25 pm

remember that commercial with Shaq?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E-iskQXfqo

OMG the kid is Perch Daggs III from VERONICA MARS!!!!!

;D Yes, I remember that one! Too funny!

I wonder if those candy bars are still being sold? I haven't seen them in a few years.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 10:30 pm

;D Yes, I remember that one! Too funny!

I wonder if those candy bars are still being sold? I haven't seen them in a few years.

I never had one... i don't like caramel that much

Written By: gibbo on 02/20/09 at 10:54 pm

I always have trouble saying...the sixth sick Sheik's sixth sheep's sick!  But I guess that's just me..... :-\\

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 11:23 pm

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

is a difficult one, I find  :P

Written By: gibbo on 02/20/09 at 11:27 pm

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

is a difficult one, I find  :P

Piece of cake.... ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 11:27 pm

yeah! I use it all the time!

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 11:29 pm

yeah! I use it all the time!

Okay then, how about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch !

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 11:34 pm

Okay then, how about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch !

shoot that was the name of a hamster I once had!

Written By: gibbo on 02/21/09 at 12:02 am

Never been there..'cos I've been looking for a harder name to pronounce! :P

Written By: Howard on 02/21/09 at 6:41 am

I need a translator for this. ;D

Written By: Stompgal on 02/21/09 at 6:45 am

I also say "problee" instead of "probably."

When my sister was younger, she used to say "probally" instead of "probably."

Last weekend, one of my housemates was trying to recall the name of a sweetner that is added to diet fizzy drinks (aspartame). He pronounced it incorrectly, so I told him that it was pronounced "As-part-am-ee." A few months ago, my house psychologist also mispronounced the name of the sweetner during a Communication Group session on healthy eating. She pronounced it "as-part-am" so I gave her the correct pronunciation.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/09 at 6:47 am

Is that some sort of animal? ???

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 7:00 am

Been there!!!

Written By: gibbo on 02/21/09 at 7:00 am

Is that some sort of animal? ???

;D

It's a town in Wales....

Written By: Howard on 02/21/09 at 7:11 am

It's a town in Wales....

Must be a new town,never heard of it. What's the population? ;D

Written By: karen on 02/21/09 at 9:12 am

I can say that.

It means

St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave

Llan means church or parish

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/09 at 9:16 am

I can say that.

It means

St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave

It is also the longest name for a railway station.

Written By: karen on 02/21/09 at 9:18 am

It is also the longest name for a railway station.

And most of it was made up as a publicity stunt.  Why else would anyone go to Anglesey?

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/21/09 at 9:28 am

I can say that.

It means

Can you say that in one breath?????

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/09 at 9:47 pm

This one is common among Canadians outside of Quebec.  Poutine is commonly pronounced 'Poo-teen' but it's correct pronounciation is actually 'Poo-ten' (said with an almost silent 'N'), and apparently if you go to Quebec and order "poo-teen', you'll get raked over the coals.  I need to get to Montreal soon and put that to the test ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/22/09 at 6:53 am

I bet you can't say supercalifragilicsticcespialadocious. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/09 at 12:56 pm

And most of it was made up as a publicity stunt.  Why else would anyone go to Anglesey?
...if travelling to Ireland via Holyhead?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/09 at 12:56 pm

I can!

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/22/09 at 8:16 pm

I sure can't!  :-[  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/09 at 4:38 am

I sure can't!  :-[  ;D
I have seen the film.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/09 at 5:41 am

I have seen the film.

How was it Phil? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/09 at 6:54 am

How was it Phil? ???
It was a musical with Julie Andrews and very enjoyable.

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/10 at 5:19 pm

I often say 'babby' for baby and abbreviate the abbreviations ('won't' becomes 'woah', 'don't' becomes 'dow' and 'you' becomes 'ya') - quite the working class chappie, aren't I?

So I could end up saying something like; "Dow ya like babbies?"  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 02/11/10 at 5:46 pm

I know some people who pronounce the word 'ask' as ... arks. It really bugs me....and I've noticed many West Indians (who have the broader accent) do it as well....

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/10 at 5:49 pm

I know some people who pronounce the word 'ask' as ... arks. It really bugs me....and I've noticed many West Indians (who have the broader accent) do it as well....

I've heard that a couple of times. I must admit, it does annoy me a bit when people say 'ting' rather than 'thing'. It sounds so baby-like...Or as I would say; "babby-like", lol.

Written By: gibbo on 02/11/10 at 5:57 pm

I've heard that a couple of times. I must admit, it does annoy me a bit when people say 'ting' rather than 'thing'. It sounds so baby-like...Or as I would say; "babby-like", lol.

I suppose I shouldn't watch 'The Bill' (yes, we get it over here too). Some say 'fing' for 'thing'  'bover' for 'bother' ' wha' for 'what' etc etc. You must here it in everyday living over there.

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/10 at 6:18 pm

I suppose I shouldn't watch 'The Bill' (yes, we get it over here too). Some say 'fing' for 'thing'  'bover' for 'bother' ' wha' for 'what' etc etc. You must here it in everyday living over there.

The Bill is based in London so I hear it enough on television but not where I live. I have to be tolerant of a different set of verbal rules here, lol. In Plymouth, they say things like 'ennet' (isn't it?) and sound like they are asking you a question but aren't.

Written By: gibbo on 02/11/10 at 6:33 pm

The Bill is based in London so I hear it enough on television but not where I live. I have to be tolerant of a different set of verbal rules here, lol. In Plymouth, they say things like 'ennet' (isn't it?) and sound like they are asking you a question but aren't.

Aussie slang and speech is similar. We can be very lazy with our speech patterns... :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/10 at 6:41 pm

Aussie slang and speech is similar. We can be very lazy with our speech patterns... :-\\

You have a certain type of language called 'Strine'? Certain words/terms mean different things. I remember a Banana Bender is someone from Queensland, lol.

Written By: gibbo on 02/11/10 at 6:50 pm

You have a certain type of language called 'Strine'? Certain words/terms mean different things. I remember a Banana Bender is someone from Queensland, lol.

Ye...I'm one of those!  ;D  We call New South Welshmen 'cockroaches'

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/12/10 at 10:06 am

When my sister was younger, she used to say "probally" instead of "probably."

Last weekend, one of my housemates was trying to recall the name of a sweetner that is added to diet fizzy drinks (aspartame). He pronounced it incorrectly, so I told him that it was pronounced "As-part-am-ee." A few months ago, my house psychologist also mispronounced the name of the sweetner during a Communication Group session on healthy eating. She pronounced it "as-part-am" so I gave her the correct pronunciation.
It's "as-per-taim", 3 syllables

Written By: Frank on 02/12/10 at 11:52 am

Wednesday
Not Wed-ness-day
But wens day

Mustard. Wife pronounces it MUSS-TARD
I say MUSS -TURD

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/10 at 12:00 pm

I say MUSS -TURD
I say "ugh!!!"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/10 at 2:48 pm

I say "ugh!!!"

I agree with you. Can't stand the stuff. (But I do pronounce it muss-turd)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/10 at 3:35 pm

I agree with you. Can't stand the stuff. (But I do pronounce it muss-turd)

Cat
http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/valentine/grin.gif

Written By: Henk on 02/12/10 at 4:05 pm

I'm very likely to mispronounce a lot of English words - you know, get the emphasis wrong. That's why I prefer to write them.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/10 at 4:14 pm

I'm very likely to mispronounce a lot of English words - you know, get the emphasis wrong. That's why I prefer to write them.  ;)

That's ok. I am very likely to mispronounce a lot of English words too.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not being facetious-I am serious. Sometimes, my tongue gets in the way and I just can't get words out. Carlos has to correct my pronunciation all the time.  :-[

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 02/12/10 at 4:16 pm

That's ok. I am very likely to mispronounce a lot of English words too.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not being facetious-I am serious. Sometimes, my tongue gets in the way and I just can't get words out. Carlos has to correct my pronunciation all the time.  :-[

Cat

Many Aussies pronounce the word ' assume' as 'ashume'

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/13/10 at 6:48 pm

Big Nasty pronounces crayons as "crowns"? Reminds me of something from that internet cartoon Homestar Runner. Homestar has the same pronunciation error.

Written By: Bobby on 02/13/10 at 10:20 pm

Ye...I'm one of those!  ;D  We call New South Welshmen 'cockroaches'

Really? Ha ha. At least banana bender sounds exotic. Cockroach sounds a little uncomplementary.

Written By: Bobby on 02/13/10 at 11:00 pm

Wednesday
Not Wed-ness-day
But wens day

I say MUSS -TURD

Yep, Wensday and Mus-turd for me too.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/10 at 6:28 am

Big Nasty pronounces crayons as "crowns"? Reminds me of something from that internet cartoon Homestar Runner. Homestar has the same pronunciation error.

That's because Homestar I think has a lisp.

Check for new replies or respond here...