» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Did You Know? - The Music Edition

Written By: gemini on 06/15/06 at 3:46 pm

Do you know any little known facts or something just weird or quirky about your favorite artists or just any artist in particular?  Here's some useless info I just had floating around my brain!  ;D

* Elton John and Bernie Taupin never collaborate in the same room. Bernie writes the lyrics and then gives
  them to Elton who then puts music to them

* John Lennon was dyslexic

* Gene Simmons tongue is said to be 7 inches long  :o  (I have no idea why I know that!)  :D

Subject: Re: Did You Know?

Written By: Paul on 06/15/06 at 5:08 pm

Despite composing countless bucketloads of amazingly successful songs (including several 'classical' pieces), Paul McCartney cannot read a note of music!

* Gene Simmons tongue is said to be 7 inches long  :o  (I have no idea why I know that!)  :D

Hm... ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/15/06 at 6:12 pm

Despite composing countless bucketloads of amazingly successful songs (including several 'classical' pieces), Paul McCartney cannot read a note of music!

Hm... ;)

None of The Beatles could! :o

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/06 at 8:52 pm

Some facts about Bryan Adams ...

* According to CANCON rules, his 1991 album "Waking Up the Neighbours" didn't qualify for Canadian Content because the album was recorded in England, and he co-wrote all of the songs with British producer Mutt Lange

* He wrote two songs about murdered Playboy Playmate Dorothy Stratten.  The first one was called "Cover Girl" and was a hit song for the band Prism in 1981.  The second one was called "The Best Was Yet to Come" and appears as an album track on his 1983 LP "Cuts Like a Knife"

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/21/06 at 4:07 am

Peter Gabriel Facts-

The song "San Jacinto" was written after Peter helped a Native American man rescue his cat from a house fire. Peter was horrified to learn how this man was treated, including being brutally jailed for a murder he was later shown not to have committed.

"Digging In the Dirt" is, succintly put, about the darker side of one's psyche. Peter did this one after his break-up from Jill Moore (after 17 yrs. of marriage), and an aborted relationship w/Rosanna Arquette.

Despite his pioneering work with the music video, and his phenomenal success in the music business, Peter has never been nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

"Biko" is the only song that has consistently been in almost every performance Peter has ever done.
The song was written in honor of murdered African rights leader Steven Biko.

Peter is the grandson of Sir Thomas Gabriel.

Peter is anti-war, anti-abortion, and anti-Death Penalty, politically.

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/06 at 12:29 am

Here's a bit of trivia about Billy Idol.  His popular song "Dancing With Myself" was not a chart hit.  The version he recorded with Gen X in 1980 was a minor hit in the UK, but the song in any version by him never impacted the charts in North America

Written By: ktelqueen on 06/28/06 at 12:30 am

Here's a bit of trivia about Billy Idol.  His popular song "Dancing With Myself" was not a chart hit.  The version he recorded with Gen X in 1980 was a minor hit in the UK, but the song in any version by him never impacted the charts in North America

um..J..are you sure about Nova Scotia? :D ;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/06 at 12:41 am

um..J..are you sure about Nova Scotia? :D ;)

It got alot of radio play and video play, but it never charted.  I was surprised cause I remember hearing it alot on the radio

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/28/06 at 1:18 am

.......that there are two songs written for Rosanna Arquette?  "Rosanna" by Toto and "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/28/06 at 2:17 am

Miscellaneous Facts

-The I.C.P. once submitted to be the official spokesmen for Faygo Soda- the company rejected them.
Despite this, the group still uses Faygo Soda in their act.

-Both members of I.C.P. once briefly wrestled in the WWE, and subsequently had their own short-lived wrestling federation: JCP (Juggalo Championsh*t Wrestling).

-Captain Lou Albano, a former wrestler/manager, was the only wrestler ever considered for the R'n R Hall Of Fame.

-Comedian Rodney Dangerfield once released a single-"Rappin' Rodney", which actually hit the Top 10 for over 4 weeks.

-Rodney Dangerfield also appeared in Billy Joel's video for "Tell Her About It", as B.J.'s dad.
Billy Joel is an acknowledged fan of the late great comic.

-Actor Chevy Chase once played in a group called "Chameleon Church", which released an album in 1969.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/28/06 at 5:02 am

......the song "Sister Morphine" was written by Marianne Faithful about her and members of the Stones foray into heroin abuse.

......the song "Paint It Black" is about depression

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/06 at 11:03 am

Sting was given co-writing credits on the 1985 Dire Straits hit "Money For Nothing" becuase the lyric "I Want My MTV" which he sings in the song is a loose re-write of the chorus from his 1980 Police hit "Don't Stand So Close to Me"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/28/06 at 11:30 am

Facts about the Ramones

The band's name "Ramones" was originated from Paul McCartney's early stage name "Ramon".

Johnny Ramone was a right wing conservative, infact the song "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" (written about Ronald Reagan), was changed to, "My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down".

Joey Ramone started out as the bands first drummer...but he wasn't very good, so he went to vocals.

Dee Dee Ramone was the one who usually shouted out, "1-2-3-4" at the beginning of a lot of their songs.

Only 5 people witnessed the Ramones first gig at New York's CBGB's.

The Ramones are mentioned in Stephen King's book, "Pet Cemetery".

Joey Ramone has a street named after him in New York.

Johnny's wife Linda originally dated Joey Ramone.

Joey Ramone suffered from OCD.

Johnny Ramone liked to drink "Yoo-Hoo's" frequently.

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/06 at 7:21 pm

Did you know that before becoming a popular Country Music singer, Vince Gill was the lead singer for the band Pure Prairie League.  He joined the group in 1979, and sang on a bunch of songs that charted on Billboard in the 80s including the 1980 smash "Let Me Love You Tonight" which was the group's biggest hit ever

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/18/06 at 2:22 am

The song "Panic" by the Smiths was written by Morrissey when he was outraged that local DJ Steve Wright played Wham!'s "I'm Your Man" right after the news announcement of the horrible Chernoblyl disaster.

On stage, Morrissey would twirl a noose around and wore a shirt with a passport photo of Steve Wright with "HANG THE DJ" stamped over the picture.

Hence the repetitve "Hang the DJ" at the end of the song. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 5:11 am

That Golden Slumbers by The Beatles was based on a 17th century poem by Thomas Dekker.

Written By: gemini on 07/18/06 at 7:29 pm

Did you know that before becoming a popular Country Music singer, Vince Gill was the lead singer for the band Pure Prairie League.  He joined the group in 1979, and sang on a bunch of songs that charted on Billboard in the 80s including the 1980 smash "Let Me Love You Tonight" which was the group's biggest hit ever

I didn't know that. I think I saw them in the late 70s at an outdoor concert with a bunch of other southern rock bands.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/06 at 7:33 pm

no way!! :o  I had no idea about that! Wow, you learn something new everyday!  ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 11:04 pm

That Golden Slumbers by The Beatles was based on a 17th century poem by Thomas Dekker.

That's interesting.

"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" is based off of a circus poster of the 19th century.

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/06 at 11:30 pm

I didn't know that. I think I saw them in the late 70s at an outdoor concert with a bunch of other southern rock bands.

no way!! :o  I had no idea about that! Wow, you learn something new everyday!  ;)

http://www.pureprairieleague.com/images_Pure_Prairie_League/recordworld.jpg

Vince is 4th from the left.  It's weird to see him with long hair ;D

He had 5 Pop chart hits with Pure Prairie League ...

1980 - Let Me Love You Tonight
1980 - I'm Almost Ready
1980 - I Can't Stop the Feelin'
1981 - Still Right Here in My Heart
1981 - You're Mine Tonight

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 1:27 am

That's interesting.

"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" is based off of a circus poster of the 19th century.
"She's Levaing Home" is based on a short report from the Daily Mirror.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 9:23 am

Hm... ;)

Could not. It was true Macca was music illiterate when he joined the Quarrymen, but in subsequent years he became quite proficient at it...

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 10:24 am

Could not. It was true Macca was music illiterate when he joined the Quarrymen, but in subsequent years he became quite proficient at it...

Either way, he couldn't read music throughout The Beatles, I believe.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 10:28 am

Either way, he couldn't read music throughout The Beatles, I believe.

Even I could read music, lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 11:03 am

"She's Levaing Home" is based on a short report from the Daily Mirror.
Also, none of the Beatles played any instruments on this track.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 11:04 am

Also, none of the Beatles played any instruments on this track.

Isn't it just strings?

I believe Eleanor Rigby has no Beatles playing on it, also.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 11:06 am

Isn't it just strings?

I believe Eleanor Rigby has no Beatles playing on it, also.
There are a few others too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 1:13 pm

I'm sure most people know this. The Bangles' Manic Monday was credited as being writen by a guy named Christopher-otherwise known as Prince. I'm also sure that everyone knows that the song The Locomotion was writen by Carole King-but Little Eva (who did it orginally) used to babysit for Carole.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 1:15 pm

I'm sure most people know this. The Bangles' Manic Monday was credited as being writen by a guy named Christopher-otherwise known as Prince.

Cat
Did Prince have an lead singer Susanna Hoffs?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 2:57 pm

Did Prince have an lead singer Susanna Hoffs?

I'm not too sure. But I did a little digging and discovered that Prince did date Susanna Hoffs.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/06 at 3:19 pm

I knew that... :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/06 at 3:45 pm

I'm sure most people know this. The Bangles' Manic Monday was credited as being writen by a guy named Christopher-otherwise known as Prince. I'm also sure that everyone knows that the song The Locomotion was writen by Carole King-but Little Eva (who did it orginally) used to babysit for Carole.

Cat

Prince sang a duet with Cyndi Lauper called "When You Were Mine", a song which he also wrote.  It was the 5th and final single taken from Cyndi's 1983 album "She's So Unusual".  It was a hit in a few countries, but never charted in the U.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 6:54 am

The now famous pop video for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen was originally produced for Top Of The Pops, because Queen could not perform the song live on stage. Thus sparking of the idea of having a promotional film for any release track, which today seems so commonplace.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/21/06 at 10:26 am

The now famous pop video for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen was originally produced for Top Of The Pops, because Queen could not perform the song live on stage. Thus sparking of the idea of having a promotional film for any release track, which today seems so commonplace.

I heard that somewhere.... I had something to add to this, but I forgot.

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 7:34 pm

Following David Lee Roth's departure from Van Halen, the band (Eddie, actually...) approached ex Scandal vocalist Patty Smyth about taking over the lead vocals for the band.  She declined in favor of persuing a solo career and was also in a late pregnancy...

Too bad they never banged-out a couple of songs.  I would have loved to hear something Van Smyth.  The lady has a set of pipes...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 1:38 am

It took nineteen years for Elton John to have his first solo number one record in the UK.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/24/06 at 10:07 am

It took nineteen years for Elton John to have his first solo number one record in the UK.

:o I didn't know that...

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/06 at 11:51 am

Speaking of Elton John, in America, he was the only artist to have atleast 1 Top 40 hit each year for 26 consecutive years (1970-1996)

Also, Elton holds the record for longest chart single in Canada ... Candle in the Wind '97 spent 3 consecutive years in the Canadian Singles chart, 45 weeks of which were at #1.  This is due to the fact that CD singles are not widely available in all CD stores in Canada, so a song can chart based on 100 singles sold in a week

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 11:55 am

Speaking of Elton John, in America, he was the only artist to have atleast 1 Top 40 hit each year for 26 consecutive years (1970-1996)

Also, Elton holds the record for longest chart single in Canada ... Candle in the Wind '97 spent 3 consecutive years in the Canadian Singles chart, 45 weeks of which were at #1.  This is due to the fact that CD singles are not widely available in all CD stores in Canada, so a song can chart based on 100 singles sold in a week
The same record sold 37m copies world wide, selling 1.54m in one week alone in the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 11:58 am

Elton john has only performed Candle in the Wind '97 twice, one at the Funeral for Lady Diana in Westminster Abbey and hours later at the Abbey Road Studios to record the single. He has vowed not to sing either version of the song again.

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/06 at 1:16 pm

The #1 hit "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" as sung by John Parr for the 1985 Motion Picture "St. Elmo's Fire" has nothing to do with the movie in which it appears.  The song was written by David Foster for paralyzed Canadian athlete Rick Hansen, who was at the time on his "Man in Motion Tour"

Written By: Paul on 07/24/06 at 2:43 pm

When they eventually did perform it on stage, the band couldn't replicate the 'operatic' part, so they used to 'splice' the recorded part in...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 2:46 pm

When they eventually did perform it on stage, the band couldn't replicate the 'operatic' part, so they used to 'splice' the recorded part in...
I thought they did, but did not mention that in case I was wrong.

Written By: Paul on 07/24/06 at 2:51 pm

I thought they did, but did not mention that in case I was wrong.

Mr. Philip wrong?

Perish the thought!

When it was first recorded, Freddie gave his pal DJ Kenny Everett a 'demo' of the song (up to this point, the band were hesitant to release it as a single because of its length)...

In an unprecedented move, Everett played it repeatedly for half a hour and the phone lines lit up...not from complaints, but from an amazed general public wanting to know when they could buy the record...

Consequently, the band had to give it a single release...

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/06 at 2:53 pm

The same record sold 37m copies world wide, selling 1.54m in one week alone in the UK.

It did yes, but it sold in massive amounts very quickly, and only spent 20 weeks in the UK Top 40

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 2:54 pm

Mr. Philip wrong?

Perish the thought!

When it was first recorded, Freddie gave his pal DJ Kenny Everett a 'demo' of the song (up to this point, the band were hesitant to release it as a single because of its length)...

In an unprecedented move, Everett played it repeatedly for half a hour and the phone lines lit up...not from complaints, but from an amazed general public wanting to know when they could buy the record...

Consequently, the band had to give it a single release...
Did you know that Kenny Everett used live a matter of 200 yards away from Freddie Mercury in Kensington, London.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/25/06 at 3:16 pm

Did you know that "Video Killed The Radio Star" was not only the 1st video played on MTV, but the 1,000,000th?  During celebrations for the station's 1,000,000th video airing, they were counting down the 25 most played videos in MTV history.  As the countdown was going towards #1, the videos played were also going toward #1,000,000.  The 6th most played video in MTV history was "Video Killed The Radio Star" and that just also happened to video play 1,000,000.  So this video shares a distinction of having two milestone plays in MTV history.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/06 at 3:18 pm

Did you know that "Video Killed The Radio Star" was not only the 1st video played on MTV, but the 1,000,000th?  During celebrations for the station's 1,000,000th video airing, they were counting down the 25 most played videos in MTV history.  As the countdown was going towards #1, the videos played were also going toward #1,000,000.  The 6th most played video in MTV history was "Video Killed The Radio Star" and that just also happened to video play 1,000,000.  So this video shares a distinction of having two milestone plays in MTV history.   :)
Did you know that Trevor Horne and Geoff Downes were replaced Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson in Yes in 1980.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/06 at 3:30 pm

Did you know that The Buggles were the 2nd act to record "Video Killed the Radio Star".  The song was co-written by British record producer Bruce Woolley who first recorded it with his group "Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club", to which a young then-unknown Thomas Dolby was the Keyboardist

Not sure where all Wooley's version was a hit, but here in Canada, it got a late release, and became a BIG radio hit in April 1980

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/25/06 at 5:16 pm

Did you know that The Buggles were the 2nd act to record "Video Killed the Radio Star".  The song was co-written by British record producer Bruce Woolley who first recorded it with his group "Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club", to which a young then-unknown Thomas Dolby was the Keyboardist

Not sure where all Wooley's version was a hit, but here in Canada, it got a late release, and became a BIG radio hit in April 1980

Was the original or The Buggles version released first? Sometimes, a song isn't released until a long time after it was recorded.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/06 at 5:24 pm

Was the original or The Buggles version released first? Sometimes, a song isn't released until a long time after it was recorded.

The original was released first

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/06 at 1:18 pm

Did you know that Troggs lead singer Reg Presley wrote Love Is All Around in about 10 minutes.

Written By: Davester on 07/28/06 at 2:40 am

Did you know that Courtney Love was Faith No More's lead vocalist for a short time in the early eighties..?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/courtney.jpg

Faith No More did cut a video with Courtney at lead.  Still trying to locate it...

go ;)...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/28/06 at 2:40 pm

Did you know that Courtney Love was Faith No More's lead vocalist for a short time in the early eighties..?
   Faith No More did cut a video with Courtney at lead.  Still trying to locate it...

go ;)...

Wow!  Who'd have thought?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/06 at 12:22 pm

Some of the lyrics for Rivers Of Babylon by Boney M came from Psalm 137 of The Bible. The original Psalm was written during the Jews exile in Babylon in around 600. Thus making it the oldest number one record.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/29/06 at 12:26 pm

Some of the lyrics for Rivers Of Babylon by Boney M came from Psalm 137 of The Bible. The original Psalm was written during the Jews exile in Babylon in around 600. Thus making it the oldest number one record.

"Thus making it the oldest number one record."

Isn't that stretching it a bit? I mean... the song wasn't written then, just a couple of lyrics.

Written By: freeridemt on 07/30/06 at 4:45 pm

I have to disagree with you on psalms. because if you want to list the oldest lyrics in songs then the Unicorn song is the oldest. Because the book of genesis predates psalms by many years. :P:P

Written By: Paul on 07/30/06 at 5:08 pm

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I think the oldest 'complete' song to have hit the top in Britain was the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards stirring rendition of 'Amazing Grace'...

The words (which weren't on this version) were scribbled in 1779, but the melody (which is), came along 65 years later...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/06 at 1:33 am

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I think the oldest 'complete' song to have hit the top in Britain was the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards stirring rendition of 'Amazing Grace'...

The words (which weren't on this version) were scribbled in 1779, but the melody (which is), came along 65 years later...
This deserves a thread of its own, which technically is the oldest number one record.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/06 at 1:33 am

I have to disagree with you on psalms. because if you want to list the oldest lyrics in songs then the Unicorn song is the oldest. Because the book of genesis predates psalms by many years. :P:P

But did the Unicorn Song reach number one in the charts?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/06 at 2:25 pm

I'm sure most know this that the Star Spangled Banner is sung to the tune of an old English drinking song.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 07/31/06 at 4:36 pm

I'm sure most know this that the Star Spangled Banner is sung to the tune of an old English drinking song.

I've heard it mentioned somewhere (and we don't even know where our national anthem originates!)...

...but rest assured, I've never sang it while inebriated!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/06 at 6:44 pm

I've heard it mentioned somewhere (and we don't even know where our national anthem originates!)...

...but rest assured, I've never sang it while inebriated!

What? The Star Spangled Banner or God Save the Queen?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 1:06 am

Cat
That I have never heard but will watch out when researching.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/06 at 1:45 pm

That I have never heard but will watch out when researching.

It was written by written by John Stafford Smith with words by Ralph Tomlinson, Esq.

Here are the orginal lyrics:

To Anacreon in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,
    A few Sons of Harmony sent a petition;
    That he their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
    When this answer arrived from the Jolly Old Grecian;
    "Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
    No longer be mute,
    I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
    And besides I'll instruct you like me, to intwine,
    The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

The news through Olympus immediately flew;
    When Old Thunder pretended to give himself airs.
    If these Mortals are suffered their scheme to pursue,
    The Devil, a Goddess, will stay above stairs.
    "Hark," already they cry,
    "In transports of joy,
    Away to the Sons of Anacreon we'll fly.
    The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.

The Yellow-Haired God and his nine lusty Maids,
    From Helion's banks will incontinent flee,
    Idalia will boast but of tenantless Shades,
    And the bi-forked hill a mere desert will be.
    My Thunder no fear on't,
    Shall soon do it's errand,
    And damme I'll swing the Ringleaders I warrant,
    I'll trim the young dogs, for thus daring to twine,

Apollo rose up and said, "Pry'thee ne'er quarrel,
    Good sing of the Gods with my Vot'ries below:
    Your Thunder is useless"--then showing his laurel,
    Cry'd "Sic evitable fulmen" you know!
    "Then over each head
    My laurels I'll spread
    So my sons from your Crackers no mischief shall dread,
    While snug in their clubroom, they jovially twine,
    The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.'

Next Momus got up with his risible Phiz
    And swore with Apollo he'd cheerfully join--
    'The full tide of Harmony still shall be his,
    But the Song, and the Catch, and the Laugh,
    shall be mine.
    Then Jove be not jealous
    Of these honest fellows,"
    Cry'd Jove, "We relent since the truth you now tell us;
    And swear by Old Styx, that they long shall intwine,

Ye Sons of Anacreon then join hand in hand;
    Preserve Unanimity, Friendship, and Love!
    'Tis yours to support what's so happily plann'd;
    You've the sanction of Gods, and the Fiat of Jove.
    While thus we agree,
    Our toast let it be:
    "May our Club flourish Happy, United, and Free!
    And long may the Sons of Anacreon intwine,

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_011.html

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 1:47 pm

It was written by written by John Stafford Smith with words by Ralph Tomlinson, Esq.

No longer be mute,

"In transports of joy,

My Thunder no fear on't,

"Then over each head
    My laurels I'll spread

shall be mine.
    Then Jove be not jealous

While thus we agree,
    Our toast let it be:

Cat
...and that is an old English drinking song, it seems a bit to much to remember when drunk?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/06 at 1:53 pm

...and that is an old English drinking song, it seems a bit to much to remember when drunk?

Yeah, the lyrics-as well as the tune is hard to sing when your sober. Somehow I don't think it caught on as well as 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/01/06 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, the lyrics-as well as the tune is hard to sing when your sober. Somehow I don't think it caught on as well as 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

Cat

You'd lose count with Bottles of Beer...

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 3:28 pm

I'm not sure whether I could pronounce the second word when sober, let alone after a shot or two!

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 3:33 pm

What? The Star Spangled Banner or God Save the Queen?

Neither...

...but 'Rhinestone Cowboy'...now you're talking!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 3:36 pm

I'm not sure whether I could pronounce the second word when sober, let alone after a shot or two!
This reminds me of a drunk I saw and heard on the Tube one night, he was standing close to the doors. He would speak in a total slur, but when he sang he was word perfect for the whole song or songs. He was singing hits from the early 80s, especially Fun Boy Three's The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) , with the other songs very well.

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 3:39 pm

This reminds me of a drunk I saw and heard on the Tube one night, he was standing close to the doors. He would speak in a total slur, but when he sang he was word perfect for the whole song or songs. He was singing hits from the early 80s, especially Fun Boy Three's The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) , with the other songs very well.

You certain it wasn't one of the blokes out of Fun Boy Three?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 3:39 pm

You may never know, where are they now?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 3:44 pm

Well the Fun boy Three were/are Terry Hall (vocals), Neville Staple (vocals/drums) and Lynval Golding (guitar)

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 3:49 pm

Well the Fun boy Three were/are Terry Hall (vocals), Neville Staple (vocals/drums) and Lynval Golding (guitar)

And now you're loaded with that info', Mr Philip...you can ask the drunk if you see him next time!

(Actually, probably not a good idea...it's best not to talk to anyone on the Tube...not even yourself!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 4:09 pm

And now you're loaded with that info', Mr Philip...you can ask the drunk if you see him next time!

(Actually, probably not a good idea...it's best not to talk to anyone on the Tube...not even yourself!)

Everyone on the Tube that day kept their distance but all enjoyed the cabaret.

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 4:15 pm

Everyone on the Tube that day kept their distance but all enjoyed the cabaret.

Unlike the 'cabaret' that us 'overground' users endured a few years back...

Mostly of Eastern European descent, several middle-aged males would board rush-hour trains at Cannon Street and proceed to serenade the work-weary commuters withvery loud trumpets!

(And of course, the obligatory 'donation jar'!)

Herb Alpert these guys weren't! And the only thing that ever got donated was the universally understood term of '**** Off'...thank heaven someone stopped 'em!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 4:16 pm

Mostly of Eastern European descent, several middle-aged males would board rush-hour trains at Cannon Street and proceed to serenade the work-weary commuters withvery loud trumpets!

Herb Alpert these guys weren't! And the only thing that ever got donated was the universally understood term of '**** Off'...thank heaven someone stopped 'em!
It was kids were accordians on my tube travels.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 4:23 pm

After two years Terry Hall split and formed Colour Field.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/01/06 at 8:43 pm

Joan Jett was a major contributor, both financially and in moral support, for the band "The Gits" when their lead singer, Mia Zapata, was murdered.

For 5 years, she helped campaign tirelessly to find the killer, and eventually Jesus Gonzales was found and convicted.

She even did a benefit concert with The Gits, and on her LP "Naked", she did a song dedicated to Mia Zapata.

Written By: karen on 08/02/06 at 6:38 am

No longer be mute,

"In transports of joy,

My Thunder no fear on't,

"Then over each head
    My laurels I'll spread

shall be mine.
    Then Jove be not jealous

While thus we agree,
    Our toast let it be:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_011.html

Cat

Well it certainly beats four and twenty virgins for lyrical content!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/02/06 at 2:09 pm

LOL!  I'm sure they did a good job of keeping you all awake so that you didn't miss your train!  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/02/06 at 2:13 pm

The Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, was gay and had a crush on John Lennon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/06 at 2:18 pm

The Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, was gay and had a crush on John Lennon.
...and tragically died young.

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/06 at 2:18 pm

The 1983 song "Give it Up" by KC and the Sunshine Band, which was a #1 hit in the UK, had no intention of being released in America, so KC went solo and released it himself, and in 1984, it reached the US Top 20

The UK album was titled "All in A Night's Work" and came out in late 1982
The US/Canada album was titled "KC Ten" and came out in late 1983

Written By: Paul on 08/02/06 at 3:07 pm

The 1983 song "Give it Up" by KC and the Sunshine Band, which was a #1 hit in the UK, had no intention of being released in America, so KC went solo and released it himself, and in 1984, it reached the US Top 20

I'm not even sure if it would have gained a release in the UK had not some enterprising DJ in Ireland (of all places) turned it into something of a 'hit' over there first...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/02/06 at 3:22 pm

I don't think it's nearly as good as some of their other material...

Written By: Paul on 08/02/06 at 3:33 pm

I don't think it's nearly as good as some of their other material...

Agreed...it's a catchy enough tune, but a bit 'overplayed' in my opinion...

Written By: gemini on 08/03/06 at 5:30 pm

Ronn Moss, who plays Ridge Forrester on the daytime soap The Bold and Beautiful, was in the band Player?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/06 at 1:05 pm

In the song by Musical Youth, because of the age of the performers in the band were all young, the title of the song "Pass The Dutchie" was changed from "Pass The Kutchie" for Kutchie means waccy baccy.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/04/06 at 1:57 pm

In the song by Musical Youth, because of the age of the performers in the band were all young, the title of the song "Pass The Dutchie" was changed from "Pass The Kutchie" for Kutchie means waccy baccy.

I heard that it was always "Pass the Dutchie", which is a pot, usually used for holding cookies.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/05/06 at 11:29 am

Did You Know:

On Alice Cooper's song "Billion Dollar Babies" that the lyric.

"We go dancing nightly, in the attic,
While the moon is rising in the sky.
If I'm too rough, tell me,
I'm so scared your little head will come off in my hand."

was sung by Donovan of "Mellow Yellow" fame

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/05/06 at 1:49 pm

I heard that it was always "Pass the Dutchie", which is a pot, usually used for holding cookies.

The title of the song is "Pass The Dutchie" but it was a take on a reggae song called "Pass the Kutchie", which is slang for weed. 

Written By: chaka on 08/05/06 at 2:28 pm

Joan Jett was a major contributor, both financially and in moral support, for the band "The Gits" when their lead singer, Mia Zapata, was murdered.

For 5 years, she helped campaign tirelessly to find the killer, and eventually Jesus Gonzales was found and convicted.

She even did a benefit concert with The Gits, and on her LP "Naked", she did a song dedicated to Mia Zapata.

I think it's 7 Year Bitch that have an album dedicated to her,it's called Viva Zapata!
and one song's called M.I.A

It's bloody awful what happened to Mia;first she was raped,then she was strangled.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/06 at 2:41 pm

The title of the song is "Pass The Dutchie" but it was a take on a reggae song called "Pass the Kutchie", which is slang for weed. 
As mentioned above.

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/06 at 6:35 pm

The 1982 hit "Hold On" by Santana was written by Ian Thomas, who originally had a cross-Canada hit with it in 1981. 

Ian, whose lone American hit was "Painted Ladies" in 1973 suddenly saw a brief spell of American success in the 80s as a songwriter.  Along with "Hold On", his 1977 hit "Right Before Your Eyes" became a modest hit for America in 1982, his 1981 hit "Chains" appeared as an album track on Chicago's 1982 album "Chicago 16" and his 1981 single "The Runner" became the comeback hit for Manfred Mann's Earth Band in 1984

Written By: loki 13 on 08/05/06 at 7:12 pm

The Star Spangled Banner has 4 verses,

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us as a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Written By: Davester on 08/05/06 at 7:16 pm

Uh...no, I didn't know that...

And all this time, the abridged version..?  Just as well, though.  It's a good idea to have the "Star Spangled Banner" wrapped-up by halftime groove ;) on...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 2:32 am

Again, that is a lot to remember even on a patriotic day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/06 at 11:47 am

I knew that. Back in HS when I was in choir, we sang the first 2 verses-but I did know there were two more. But, I could never remember the lyrics to the second verse-luckily we had the music.  ;)

Cat

Cat

Written By: Davester on 08/10/06 at 12:39 am

Did you know that Mike Patton, lead vocals for the now-defunct Faith No More was asked to audition for lead vocals with INXS to replace the deceased Michael Hutchence..?

I think this was before Terence Trent D'Arby groove ;) on...

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/06 at 11:20 pm

It got alot of radio play and video play, but it never charted.  I was surprised cause I remember hearing it alot on the radio

I must correct myself here.  I just noticed that "Dancing With Myself" by Billy Idol got to #39 in the Canadian Singles Chart in December of 1983.  It never charted in America

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/16/06 at 11:35 pm

.........Jon Bon Jovi wrote "You Give Love A Bad Name" for Diane Lane?

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/16/06 at 11:37 pm

I must correct myself here.  I just noticed that "Dancing With Myself" by Billy Idol got to #39 in the Canadian Singles Chart in December of 1983.  It never charted in America

that's from me requesting it like a hundred times a night in nova scotia  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/06 at 11:38 pm

that's from me requesting it like a hundred times a night in nova scotia  ::)

You didn't request it enough.  It didn't get higher than #39 ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/16/06 at 11:51 pm

You didn't request it enough.  It didn't get higher than #39 ;D

:P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/06 at 1:14 am

It did not even chart in the UK too, there again, it may had no been released as a single format.

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/17/06 at 10:48 pm

Some facts about Peter Schilling

- Peter is afraid of flying

- he is 5'8-5'10, his hair is black and his eye color is green-gray (according to facts from his 1982 BRAVO-Autogrammkarte)

- Also has a fear of elevators

- Wrote songs for other artists

- served in the army

- worked for a Stuttgart BMW agency (according to his BRAVO-Autogrammkarte)

- The video for Major Tom (Coming Home) was filmed in the UK

Written By: Tam on 08/22/06 at 1:50 pm

Some tidbits about Duran Duran:

In 1964 Six-year-old Simon LeBon was kicked out of Middlesex Cub Scouts for retaliating against an older boy by smacking him in the face with a pair of shoes.

In 1972 John Taylor was kicked out of music class at school for showing more interest in Alice Cooper than the standard curriculum.

In 1977 Andy Taylor joined pop punk band The Gigolos, which soon changes its name to Motorway. Motorway signed a singles deal with A&M Records, and put out their first and only record, a single called 'Teenage Girls'.

In 1979 the band writes 'See Me, Repeat Me', which will eventually evolve into 'Rio'.
And During a show at Birmingham University. the crowd throws everything they can at Duran, covering them in tomato ketchup.

In 1980 Perry Haines (who co-founded British style magazine I-D, and coined the term "new romantic") took charge of the band's image.

On February 24, 1981 Duran Duran's first scheduled television appearance is cancelled because of Prince Charles and Lady Diana's engagement announcement.

In May, 1980 Duran appears on their first magazine cover: Smash Hits UK

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/06 at 1:57 pm

Here's another tidbit about Duran ...

Their original lead singer was Stephen Duffy who co-founded the group with John Taylor and Nick Rhodes.  He left the band in 1979 before they secured a record deal.  He would go on to a solo career under the name Tin Tin, then as Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy.  His 1985 single "Kiss Me" was popular in both the UK and Canada, but was not a success in America

Written By: Paul on 08/22/06 at 2:33 pm

Here's another tidbit about Duran ...

Their original lead singer was Stephen Duffy who co-founded the group with John Taylor and Nick Rhodes.  He left the band in 1979 before they secured a record deal.  He would go on to a solo career under the name Tin Tin, then as Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy.  His 1985 single "Kiss Me" was popular in both the UK and Canada, but was not a success in America

He's still chugging about...

I think he's currently writing stuff with a chappie called Robbie Williams...

Written By: Tam on 08/23/06 at 1:21 am

Hmmm....

Not sure if this is a fact (but I am sure you will correct it for me Jason)

Nickelback
Bizarre name right?
Well, what if they originally titled themselves what is on the back of a Canadian Nickel?

BEAVER!

Written By: Paul on 08/23/06 at 2:22 pm

BEAVER!

And on that note...here's a completely true one...

Back in the fifties, there was an American entertainer called (wait for it)...Dick Beavers...

Obviously it didn't have any smutty connotations back then, as he was never 'banned'...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/06 at 11:31 am

David Bowie does not perform The Laughing Gnome live when on tour.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/24/06 at 1:48 pm

David Bowie does not perform The Laughing Gnome live when on tour.

He probably doesn't want to offend any gnomes in the audience.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/25/06 at 12:08 pm

He probably doesn't want to offend any gnomes in the audience.

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/06 at 12:45 pm

The James Bond films in which Shirley Bassey sung the theme songs for, all ended with the letters 'er', Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, and Moonraker.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/06 at 4:10 pm

David Bowie had to change his name because there was already a preformer by his birth name-David (Davy) Jones.

And the same Davy Jones (of the Monkees) was also on the same Ed Sullivan Show that Beatles made their U.S. debut (Feb.9, 1964). He was with the cast of Oliver as the Artful Dodger.

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/26/06 at 4:20 pm

David Bowie had to change his name because there was already a preformer by his birth name-David (Davy) Jones.

And the same Davy Jones (of the Monkees) was also on the same Ed Sullivan Show that Beatles made their U.S. debut (Feb.9, 1964). He was with the cast of Oliver as the Artful Dodger.

Cat

David Bowie has an eye that is permanently dilated, because it was paralyzed in a street brawl.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/06 at 4:24 pm

Sir Paul McCarthy is NOT dead. He did NOT "blew his mind out in a car".

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/06 at 5:12 pm

The last ever U.S. chart appearance for Bryan Adams was "I Finally Found Someone" (a duet with Barbra Streisand) in 1996.  It reached #8 on the Billboard Chart.  He has since had many more hits in Canada and the UK

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/26/06 at 5:13 pm

Sir Paul McCarthy is NOT dead. He did NOT "blew his mind out in a car".

Cat

What about Paul McCartney?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/06 at 5:29 pm

What about Paul McCartney?

Oops. That's what happens when I try to post with a major headache.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/06 at 1:14 am

Mary Hopkins winner of Opportunity Knocks and singer of "Those Were The Days", sung the backing vocals on David Bowie's "Sound and Vision"

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/06 at 8:47 am

Mary Hopkins winner of Opportunity Knocks and singer of "Those Were The Days", sung the backing vocals on David Bowie's "Sound and Vision"

Sound + Vision is a great song.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/06 at 1:17 pm

Michael Nesmith of the Monkees was the driving force behind the creation of MTV.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/27/06 at 6:51 pm

Michael Nesmith of the Monkees was the driving force behind the creation of MTV.

...and his mother invented the secretary's friend...liquid paper!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/06 at 7:13 pm

I think I heard that somewhere.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/06 at 8:25 am

...in other words Tipp-Ex?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 2:46 am

Did you know that John Lennon called Good Morning Good Morning by The Beatles "It's a throwaway, a piece of garbage."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/02/06 at 2:50 am

Well here in the States, we also have Wite-Out.

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/technique/witeout.jpg

Written By: karen on 09/08/06 at 10:09 am

Or maybe Liquid Paper

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/08/06 at 12:15 pm

Did you know that the lyrics to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harem came from a poem by Keith Reid, and were a collection of abstract phrases about boy/girl relationships using sailing metaphors

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/06 at 3:20 am

Did you know that John Lennon's father Freddie Lennon recorded a single back in 1965 called That's My Life (My Love And My Home). After radio play the single disappeared not selling well, and it did provoke the aspect of cashing in on his son's fame.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/06 at 3:22 am

Did you know that Bruce Hornsby plays Piano on Don Henley's 1989 hit "The End of the Innocence"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/06 at 3:33 am

Cat
...and Micky Dolenz was the producer for Metal Mickey.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/06 at 3:45 am

...and Micky Dolenz was the producer for Metal Mickey.

UK band Suede had a hit called Metal Mickey.  Any relation?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/06 at 3:49 am

UK band Suede had a hit called Metal Mickey.  Any relation?
Let me check, but the Metal Mickey in Mickey Dolenz case was a TV series from the early 80s.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/16/06 at 9:49 am

Did you know that Bruce Hornsby plays Piano on Don Henley's 1989 hit "The End of the Innocence"?

The "The End of the Innocence" album has a lot of guest stars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/06 at 2:34 am

Did you know that Queen's Another One Bites The Dust was used as the theme tune for Gladiators.

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/06 at 2:48 am

Did you know that Queen's Another One Bites The Dust was used as the theme tune for Gladiators.

It would appear so.  Assuming Gladiators is the same as American Gladiators, I watched that show all the time, and don't remember it at all in the show

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/06 at 2:55 am

It would appear so.  Assuming Gladiators is the same as American Gladiators, I watched that show all the time, and don't remember it at all in the show
It was certainly used as incidental music on the British version of Gladiators

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/06 at 3:00 am

It was certainly used as incidental music on the British version of Gladiators

The bass line from "Another One Bites the Dust" is one of the most sampled parts of a song ever, so it's probably used almost everywhere

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/23/06 at 9:35 am

The bass line from "Another One Bites the Dust" is one of the most sampled parts of a song ever, so it's probably used almost everywhere

They were actually the second ones to use it, apparently "Rappers Delight" was the original song to use that bass line.

Written By: Paul on 09/23/06 at 4:44 pm

They were actually the second ones to use it, apparently "Rappers Delight" was the original song to use that bass line.

The 'Rapper's Delight' bass riff was lifted from Chic's 'Good Times'...while 'AOBTD' was an original John Deacon concoction...

Almost the same, I'll grant you...but different enough to stave off plagarism lawsuits...

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/23/06 at 5:14 pm

Speaking of which...

Did you know that The Netherlands were the first country in the world to have a rap record top the charts?
The song in question was, indeed, "Rapper's Delight".

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/06 at 5:39 pm

Speaking of which...

Did you know that The Netherlands were the first country in the world to have a rap record top the charts?

It went #1 in Canada too, but not until January 1980

In the US, it peaked at #36 and in the UK, it made #3

Written By: Paul on 09/23/06 at 6:17 pm

Well done!  :)

'Rapper's Delight' was also the first record to make a significant British sales impact by way of a 12" single, even though they'd been commercially available three years previously...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 12:51 am

Well done!  :)

'Rapper's Delight' was also the first record to make a significant British sales impact by way of a 12" single, even though they'd been commercially available three years previously...
In 1998, The Sugarhill Gang performed this for a Turner Broadcasting party. Turner used the performance in a commercial for The Goodwill Games, but did not have the group's consent and was ordered to pay the group almost $3 million in a 2001 judgment.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 1:19 am

Did you know Australian singer John Farnham only had 1 US hit as a solo artist?  "You're the Voice" was not released in America until 1990 and though it charted, it failed to see the Top 40 (US #82)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/24/06 at 1:20 am

Did you know Another One Bites The Dust is not a Queen song?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 1:22 am

Did you know Australian singer John Farnham only had 1 US hit as a solo artist?  "You're the Voice" was not released in America until 1990 and though it charted, it failed to see the Top 40 (US #82)
John Farnham hit 4 UK chart hits, where only You're The Voice made the top ten.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 1:26 am

Which were the other three?

He had 5 hits here in Canada.  Were the remaining three any of these ...

Pressure Down
Age of Reason
Two Strong Hearts
That's Freedom

?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 1:31 am

Which were the other three?

He had 5 hits here in Canada.  Were the remaining three any of these ...

Pressure Down
Age of Reason
Two Strong Hearts
That's Freedom

?

The other John Farnham Uk hits:

#78 Pressure Down (1987)
#87 Age of Reason (1988)
#80 Two Strong Hearts (1989)

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 1:33 am

The other John Farnham Uk hits:

#78 Pressure Down (1987)
#87 Age of Reason (1988)
#80 Two Strong Hearts (1989)

he never made it into the 90s in the UK chart  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 1:35 am

he never made it into the 90s in the UK chart  :\'(
Totally disappeared, until he sang at the Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 1:37 am

Did you know that John Farnham was born in Dagenham, Essex (or Greater London) on 1st July 1949.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 1:40 am

Did you know that John Farnham was born in Dagenham, Essex (or Greater London) on 1st July 1949.

I knew that yes.  And on a similar note, Glenn Shorrock (who was the lead singer of Little River Band until Farnham took over in 1982) is also a British born Australian

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/24/06 at 11:18 am

[quote author=

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/24/06 at 11:28 am

*gasp* *gasp* *Gasp* John Farnham is a Pom by birth? I can't believe I don't know that... ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 12:15 pm

*gasp* *gasp* *Gasp* John Farnham is a Pom by birth? I can't believe I don't know that... ???
Don't worry, in return you have given us Rolf Harris.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/24/06 at 12:23 pm

What do you mean?

Read the Killer Queen thread in the 70s section.  Philip and Jason know what I'm talking about.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/06 at 1:03 pm

[quote author=

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 5:12 pm

In Canada, the first ever Animated Music video produced was "A Routine Day" by Klaatu in 1979

http://www.klaatu.org/routine.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/06 at 2:11 am

The last verse in Elton John's song Daniel was cut because it made the song to long, and it was in this verse that explains about that Daniel was returning home Veitnam Vet, blinded from the war and wish to retire in Spain.

Written By: Paul on 09/29/06 at 4:22 pm

Did you know that...

King, Queen, Prince and Princess

...all had British Top 10 hits in 1985...(and Royalle Delight was also charting further down)

...and that this 'royal event' will probably never happen again!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/29/06 at 4:36 pm

Did you know that...

...all had British Top 10 hits in 1985...(and Royalle Delight was also charting further down)

Wow, that's cool!  :D

I've never heard of the artist, 'Princess', though... ???

Written By: Paul on 09/29/06 at 4:47 pm

I've never heard of the artist, 'Princess', though... ???

There's probably a few Brits who can't quite remember her...

She only had a handful of hits (including that sole top tenner, called 'Say I'm Your Number One'...which was pretty ho-hum) before disappearing almost as quickly as she arrived...poor girl!  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/29/06 at 4:50 pm

There's probably a few Brits who can't quite remember her...

She only had a handful of hits (including that sole top tenner, called 'Say I'm Your Number One'...which was pretty ho-hum) before disappearing almost as quickly as she arrived...poor girl!  :-\\

I see...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/06 at 4:51 pm

Did you know that...

Lets not forget the Korgis in the late 70s?

Written By: Paul on 09/29/06 at 5:10 pm

Lets not forget the Korgis in the late 70s?

Tsk!

I must be 'barking' mad for forgetting them!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/06 at 5:11 pm

Tsk!

I must be 'barking' mad for forgetting them!
...and the Royal Guardsmen from 1967?

Written By: Paul on 09/29/06 at 5:24 pm

And there's also Charles & Eddie from '92, but I think this is stretching it somewhat...

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 7:48 pm

Did you know that...

I like that Princess song 'After the Love Has Gone'.  Popular song title also.  EWF and Steps both had (different) songs with that title :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/06 at 8:36 pm

Michel'le, the singer of such early 90s hits as "Something in My Heart", "No More Lies" and "Nicety" sounds nothing like she sings. She has a very squeaky voice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 11:26 am

Regarding Barry Manilow's Mandy

Did you know that Mandy was originally called Brandy, which was the song lyricist Scott English's pet dog.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 2:22 pm

Micky Dolenz has a degree in Philosophy for Oxford University.  Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple is about an actually incident.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/06 at 3:02 am

Chris de Burgh's song Songbird was inspired from hearing the voice of Eva Cassidy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/06 at 1:34 pm

Did you know that the singer Bobby Darin received an Academy Award nomination for his outstanding performance in Captain Newman, M.D.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/06 at 1:57 pm

Did you know that the singer Bobby Darin received an Academy Award nomination for his outstanding performance in Captain Newman, M.D.

I knew that, but only coz I saw the movie "Beyond the Sea", which btw was a fantastic movie :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/06 at 3:38 pm

I knew that, but only coz I saw the movie "Beyond the Sea", which btw was a fantastic movie :)
I saw Walk The Line (Johnny Cash), but somehow Beyond the Sea escaped me.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/06 at 4:13 pm

I saw Walk The Line (Johnny Cash), but somehow Beyond the Sea escaped me.

If you get a chance, check out "Beyond the Sea".  Kevin Spacey did an amazing job as Bobby Darin 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/06 at 1:09 am

If you get a chance, check out "Beyond the Sea".  Kevin Spacey did an amazing job as Bobby Darin 8)
There is a space on my shelf awaiting for the DVD.

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/06 at 11:33 pm

The lyrics of St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) by John Parr has nothing to do with the St. Elmo's Fire movie.  The song was written about Canadian Rick Hansen who at the time was on his "Man in Motion" tour

Written By: holicman on 10/16/06 at 11:20 am

Did you know that Barry Manilow didnt write the album called "I write the songs" ????

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/06 at 11:34 am

Did you know that Barry Manilow didnt write the album called "I write the songs" ????
I remember David Cassidy had a hit with I Write The Songs.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/06 at 1:44 pm

Did you know that "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats was a cusp song in Canada?  The song itself is from 1979 ...

It debuted in the Canadian Chart in November '79 and peaked in January of 1980, spending 24 weeks on the chart
In the UK, it peaked in July 1979, spending 12 weeks in the chart (thanks Philip!)
In America, it was not released until January 1980, where it debuted in February 1980, spending 5 weeks on the chart

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/06 at 1:54 pm

Did you know that "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats was a cusp song in Canada?  The song itself is from 1979 ...

In the UK, it peaked in the chart in July 1979 (no idea on how long it was in the chart)

"I Don't Like Mondays" in the UK spent 12 weeks in the charts with the position of 15-{1}-1-1-1-2-2-8-16-24-55-74.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/06 at 2:14 pm

"I Don't Like Mondays" in the UK spent 12 weeks in the charts with the position of 15-{1}-1-1-1-2-2-8-16-24-55-74.

I would have thought that it debuted at number one.  It seems common in the UK for songs to debut at their peak, then fall off from there?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/06 at 2:29 pm

I would have thought that it debuted at number one.  It seems common in the UK for songs to debut at their peak, then fall off from there?
That is certainly the trend for the current number ones, but in the olden days it was good to see a record rise up the charts.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/06 at 2:35 pm

That is certainly the trend for the current number ones, but in the olden days it was good to see a record rise up the charts.

It's always good to see rising in charts.  Half the success of a song is in the time it takes to rise up the charts :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/06 at 2:47 pm

It's always good to see rising in charts.  Half the success of a song is in the time it takes to rise up the charts :)
It was the new and rise in the charts that was the policy of groups/artists being on Top Of The Pops, once the record was heading downwards, that was it for airplay.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/06 at 4:09 pm

It debuted in the Canadian Chart in November '79 and peaked in January of 1980, spending 24 weeks on the chart
In the UK, it peaked in July 1979, spending 12 weeks in the chart (thanks Philip!)
In America, it was not released until January 1980, where it debuted in February 1980, spending 5 weeks on the chart

It was also based on a true incident. Probably the first school shooting by this 16 year old girl. When asked why she did it, her answer was, "Because I don't like Mondays".

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/19/06 at 8:13 am

It was also based on a true incident. Probably the first school shooting by this 16 year old girl. When asked why she did it, her answer was, "Because I don't like Mondays".

Cat

This Snopes article shows that the girl who did the shooting wasn't in the school she was more like a sniper in that she was shooting at school children from her bedroom window.  I remember reading that the song wasn't released in the US until after her trial.

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/mondays.asp

Written By: Paul on 10/19/06 at 4:22 pm

Yes, aggressive marketing has sadly made a 'slow climber' a thing of the past...

The slowest one I can remember in recent-ish years was Sealion Dion's 'Think Twice', which took 16 weeks to reach the top...

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/20/06 at 12:58 pm

...the first rave song to ever be charted in US Billboard Hot 100 was "James Brown Is Dead" by (Dutch duo) L.A. Style?

...the song peaked at #59 in Billboard Hot 100 and at #1 in Dutch Top 40?

...its success inspired others to record songs "James Brown Is Still Alive" (Holy Noise & Global Insert Project)  and "Who The F**k Is James Brown" (Traumatic Stress)?

Written By: Paul on 10/20/06 at 1:55 pm

...its success inspired others to record songs "James Brown Is Still Alive" (Holy Noise & Global Insert Project)  and "Who The F**k Is James Brown" (Traumatic Stress)?

I presume that this last title didn't inspire the Gompie mash-up of Smokie's 'Alice (Who The F**k Is Alice)'?  ;)

Of course, this was nabbed for the British market by Smokie themselves...

...and it became the first record with the dreaded F-word to reach the British Top 10... :o

And even cleaner-than-clean Irish crooner Daniel O'Donnell has had a go, but he tastefully replaces the offending word with 'heck'... ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/06 at 3:00 am

Did you know that Father and Son by Cat Stevens is based on a made up story about in a Russian family where the son wants to join the revolution but his father wants him to stay home and work on the farm.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/06 at 5:42 am

Did you know that the most successful song in Canada of 1981 was "Medley: Intro Venus / Sugar Sugar ..." by the Stars on 45.  It spent 12 weeks at the top of the Canadian Singles Chart. 

In the US, it spent 1 week at the top and in the UK (where they were called Starsound), it peaked at #2

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/06 at 1:18 pm

Yuck.  That is the most awful, arrogant, song ever written.

Did you know that Father and Son by Cat Stevens is based on a made up story about in a Russian family where the son wants to join the revolution but his father wants him to stay home and work on the farm.

I did not know that.  I love that song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/06 at 1:08 pm

I did not know that.  I love that song.
Did you know that Cat Steven's Father and Son is the favourite song of Rod Stewart?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/06 at 5:33 pm

Did you know that in The Sound of Music in the "Do-Re-Mi" song, one of the children sings the notes "So-Do-Mi" ("sodomy").

Written By: spaceace on 11/25/06 at 5:58 pm

Did you know that in The Sound of Music in the "Do-Re-Mi" song, one of the children sings the notes "So-Do-Mi" ("sodomy").

:o NO!!!

Written By: Satish on 11/26/06 at 1:11 pm

...the first rave song to ever be charted in US Billboard Hot 100 was "James Brown Is Dead" by (Dutch duo) L.A. Style?

Didn't that song come out in 1992? What about "Pump Up the Jam" by Technotronic and "The Power" by Snap! ?  ??? Those songs were released earlier, and they also charted.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/26/06 at 1:14 pm

Didn't that song come out in 1992? What about "Pump Up the Jam" by Technotronic and "The Power" by Snap! ?  ??? Those songs were released earlier, and they also charted.

Those aren't exactly rave. Those are club/dance songs... I'm not sure of the difference, but there is one! :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/06 at 2:40 pm

...Paul McCartney has had number one hits in the UK as a solo, and as part of a duo, trio, quartet, quintet, sextet, nonet and a multiude of singers. 

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/05/06 at 5:20 pm

Those aren't exactly rave. Those are club/dance songs... I'm not sure of the difference, but there is one! :P

Something with bpm, I think, but I'm too lazy to investigate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/06 at 1:09 pm

Did you know that George Martin the producer for the Beatles also produced records for Peter Sellers and Rolf Harris.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/06 at 5:34 pm

Did you know that George Martin the producer for the Beatles also produced records for Peter Sellers and Rolf Harris.

He also produced a bunch of albums in the early 80s for Ultravox.  He also produced a few albums for folk rock group America

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/06 at 5:42 pm

He also produced a bunch of albums in the early 80s for Ultravox.  He also produced a few albums for folk rock group America
A well deseverd career and knighthood.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/12/06 at 4:51 pm

....That Billy Joel's song " The Ballad Of Billy The Kid"  is historically incorrect. A line in the song states:
" The cowboy and their kin, like the sea came pourin' in, to watch the hangin' of Billy The Kid."

Billy The Kid wasn't hanged, he was shot to death by Sheriff Pat Garrett.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/06 at 4:41 am

...that Heaven 17 was named after a group seen on a chart list in A Clockwork Orange and Moloko was the drink from the same film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/07 at 2:15 pm

...that in Hey Jude by The Beatles, at 2:58 minutes into the song, you can hear John Lennon say "Ohh! got the wrong chord", then followed by an expletive.

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/07 at 3:31 am

The song "Jane" by Barenaked Ladies is about a fictional girl named Jane St. Clair.  The song is actually in reference to Jane Street and St. Clair Avenue, which are connecting streets located in Toronto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CXqAmD3Qg

Written By: Marian on 01/13/07 at 4:53 pm

......the song "Sister Morphine" was written by Marianne Faithful about her and members of the Stones foray into heroin abuse.

......the song "Paint It Black" is about depression
"Paint it Black" is about depression???No kidding?? ;) :D ::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/07 at 1:29 am

... you can tell the song "Steal My Sunshine" by Len is Canadian, even if you didn't know Len are from Canada?  In the song, they mention Butter Tarts, which is one of Canada's tastiest treats

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 01/14/07 at 2:04 am

... you can tell the song "Steal My Sunshine" by Len is Canadian, even if you didn't know Len are from Canada?  In the song, they mention Butter Tarts, which is one of Canada's tastiest treats

That's interesting. I saw the video on youtube a few days ago for a nostalgia trip, lol. Did you know the two singers are brother and sister?

Written By: Henk on 01/14/07 at 5:11 pm

...that Dave Berry is the only artist (to date) to have four singles in Dutch Top 40 at the same time?

In December 1965 he was charted with "This Strange Effect", "Can I Get It From You", "Little Things" and "I'm Gonna Take You There".

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/07 at 5:15 pm

...that Dave Berry is the only artist (to date) to have four singles in Dutch Top 40 at the same time?

In December 1965 he was charted with "This Strange Effect", "Can I Get It From You", "Little Things" and "I'm Gonna Take You There".
How did the Beatles fare in the Dutch Charts in a simliar vein?

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/07 at 5:21 pm

That's interesting. I saw the video on youtube a few days ago for a nostalgia trip, lol. Did you know the two singers are brother and sister?

I did know that yes :)

Written By: Henk on 01/14/07 at 5:26 pm

How did the Beatles fare in the Dutch Charts in a simliar vein?

I have no idea. I think they had maximum three singles in chart at the same time, but I have no data.

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/07 at 5:42 pm

... "You're Beautifull" by James Blunt spent over a year in the Canadian Top 100?  It entered the chart in November of 2005, 22 weeks later, it was #1, where it stayed for 4 consecuive weeks.  It Yo-yo'd the Top 50 several times, and eventually left the chart completely in November 2006.  I didn't fully track it's chart progress, but about 60% of it's chart life in Canada was spent within the Top 50

Also, it ran consecutively in the Top 20 with the follow-up single "Wisemen" which peaked at #3

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/07 at 5:46 pm

... "You're Beautifull" by James Blunt spent over a year in the Canadian Top 100?  It entered the chart in November of 2005, 22 weeks later, it was #1, where it stayed for 4 consecuive weeks.  It Yo-yo'd the Top 50 several times, and eventually left the chart completely in November 2006.  I didn't fully track it's chart progress, but about 60% of it's chart life in Canada was spent within the Top 50
In the UK, "You're Beautifull" by James Blunt was original released on 11th June 2005, it spent the total of 40 consecutive weeks in the charts, and staying at #1 for 5 weeks.

Written By: Paul on 01/14/07 at 6:03 pm

In a similar vein, Frankie Laine is the only artist to have held three places in the British Top 4...

The following week, his new release gave him four placings in the Top 6... :o

Of course, I'm going back to the days when our chart hardly moved (1953)...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/07 at 6:04 pm

In a similar vein, Frankie Laine is the only artist to have held three places in the British Top 4...

The following week, his new release gave him four placings in the Top 6... :o

Of course, I'm going back to the days when our chart hardly moved (1953)...
...and singles were singles?

Written By: Paul on 01/14/07 at 6:05 pm

...and singles were singles?

And spun at 78rpm!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/07 at 6:07 pm

Before the charts started the popularity of songs was attaained by the amount of Sheet Music for the song sold.

Written By: Paul on 01/14/07 at 6:12 pm

Before the charts started the popularity of songs was attaained by the amount of Sheet Music for the song sold.

Correct...our record chart (despite being founded in 1952) played second fiddle to the sheet music chart until 1955/6...

The last million-selling sheet music title was believed to have been that all-time rock classic, 'How Much Is That Doggie In the Window'...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/07 at 7:00 pm

...that the drummer of the Rolling Stones Charlie Watts is the nephew of Lennie Peters, who found fame with Dianne Lee, in the duo Peters and Lee

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/07 at 7:44 pm

... Bruce Springsteen, despite reaching #1 in the album chart many times, has never had a #1 single in the US or the UK?

The Academy Award winning "Streets of Philadelphia" gave him his only #1 single in Canada

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 1:29 am

OK, I have a few for you...

1. The song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar was written by a Canadian out of Toronto named Eddie Schwartz who had a Canadian song released in 1984 called "Special Girl".

2. Eric Clapton dropped the song "Tears In Heaven" from his concert playlist a couple of years ago, because playing it wasn't as emotional to him as it once was. It was written as a tribute to his deceased son. In March of 1991, his son Conor was killed when he fell out of a 53rd story window in NYC. Eric Clapton also shared the stage with Stevie Ray Vaughn the night that Stevie's helicopter crashed, taking his life.

3. Phil Collins was not the first choice to replace Peter Gabriel when he left Genisis. Phil was already the groups drummer when the other band members put him in charge of giving vocal coaching lessons to the prospective replacements, which included Yes frontman Jon Anderson. Only after realizing that nobody could measure up to Peter's standards, they went with Collins. Some people still think that he outGabrieled Gabriel in the vocal department.

4. The song "When I'm With You" by the Canadian rock group Sheriff charted in the US in 1989, but it was a major Canadian hit back in 1983. A DJ from Las Vegas found the song, and started to play it, and it caught on like wildfire across the US. The funny thing is that when it became a US top forty hit, the band had already been disbanded for years. The lead singer had given up the music biz and was a delivery driver in Toronto at the time.

5. The Buddy holly hit "Peggy Sue" was originally titled "Cindy Lou", named for his niece. It was later changed to Peggy Sue for his drummer's girlfriend at the time and future wife, Peggy Sue Gerron.

6. That before he became the lead singer for the rock band AC DC in 1974, Bon Scott was their chauffeur. The original singer, Dave Evans, was considered too glam rock for the boys liking, and after giving Bon a tryout, they gave Dave the boot, and Bon was in.

7.That Zak Starkey, the drummer for Oasis, and sometimes for The Who, is Ringo Starr's son.

8. That Steven Van Zandt of "The Soprano's" fame, was an original member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. He left the group shortly before Bruce released his 1984 album Born In The USA. Despite going solo, Bruce was able to convince him to appear in the Glory Days video anyways.

That's all for now.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 1:36 am

Oh yeah, I forgot.

9. One of the most well known rock songs on the planet, Stairway To Heaven, was never released as a single in it's entire history.

10. And finally, The Grateful Dead never had a Top 40 hit before 1987's "A Touch Of Grey". It was also their first commercially released video ever.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/07 at 2:06 am

OK, I have a few for you...

1. The song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar was written by a Canadian out of Toronto named Eddie Schwartz who had a Canadian song released in 1984 called "Special Girl".

Yes sir!  Eddie had other solo hits with "Does A Fool Ever Learn" in 1980, "All Our Tomorrows" in 1981, "Over the Line" in 1982 and "Strike" in 1984.  He also wrote the 1987 hit "Don't Shed A Tear" for Paul Carrack and co-wrote the 1989 hits "The Doctor" by the Doobie Brothers and "I Live by the Groove" by Paul Carrack.  He also co-wrote the 1990 song "All the Lovers in the World" with Canadian singer Lawrence Gowan, who turned it into a smash hit in Canada

Eddie made a solo comeback in 1995 with the album "Tour De Schwartz" that had two hits with "Every Road I Take" and "Bourbon Street", as well as his versions of "Don't Shed A Tear", "Hit Me With You Best Shot" and "All the Lovers in the World"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/15/07 at 2:19 am

8. That Steven Van Zandt of "The Soprano's" fame, was an original member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. He left the group shortly before Bruce released his 1984 album Born In The USA. Despite going solo, Bruce was able to convince him to appear in the Glory Days video anyways.

All Springsteen fans know that. 

Written By: Henk on 01/15/07 at 3:09 am

Oh yeah, I forgot.

9. One of the most well known rock songs on the planet, Stairway To Heaven, was never released as a single in it's entire history.

This only goes for the LedZep version, of course. And yes, I already knew that. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/07 at 3:28 am

4. The song "When I'm With You" by the Canadian rock group Sheriff charted in the US in 1989, but it was a major Canadian hit back in 1983. A DJ from Las Vegas found the song, and started to play it, and it caught on like wildfire across the US. The funny thing is that when it became a US top forty hit, the band had already been disbanded for years. The lead singer had given up the music biz and was a delivery driver in Toronto at the time.

I knew that!

Did YOU know that "When I'm With You" wasn't their first hit?  Their debut single "You Remind Me" cracked the Canadian Top 40 in 1982.  "When I'm Wth You" charted in early 1983 :)

When the band broke up, members Arnold Lanni and Wolf Hassel formed Frozen Ghost to much success only in Canada and in 1989 found themselves competing with themselves upon the re-relase of "When I'm With You".  This also promoted the remaining Sheriff members to come back onto the scene, and thus formed the group Alias, whose hit "More Than Words Can Say" was the second biggest selling single in Canada of 1990

On a surprising note, "When I'm With You" was the 67th biggest selling song in Canada for 1983

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/07 at 3:40 am

Oh yeah, I forgot.

In the UK Stairway To Heaven has been released as a single by Far Corporation in 1985 Nand Rolf Harris in 1993.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/07 at 3:57 am

In the UK Stairway To Heaven has been released as a single by Far Corporation in 1985 Nand Rolf Harris in 1993.

I liked that Far Corporation version.  Over the years, it's somewhat mocked for it's production by Frank Farian, after the Milli Vanilli scandal broke out

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/07 at 3:58 am

I liked that Far Corporation version.  Over the years, it's somewhat mocked for it's production by Frank Farian, after the Milli Vanilli scandal broke out
Now who will be the first to impart us with the story of  Milli Vanilli?

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/07 at 3:59 am

Now who will be the first to impart us with the story of  Milli Vanilli?

One of the Milli Vanilli guys died, so we know uit won't be him ;D

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/16/07 at 1:06 am

This only goes for the LedZep version, of course. And yes, I already knew that. ;)

UR right. Sorry,  I typed it at 3am and should've threw in Led Zeppelin's name. Got a bit tired. Didn't know there was a cover of it though. Ya learn new things every day. Thanx.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/16/07 at 1:09 am

All Springsteen fans know that. 

Yeah, that's true, but I have known "Soprano" fans who had no idea Sil was a wild rockin' guy back in the day. He sorta put on about 50 or so pounds since the video. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/16/07 at 2:24 am

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Zep was very much an album band, not a singles band.  They abhorred the concept.  Their American record label released Whole Lotta Love against their wishes and it pissed them off.  So they said "no more singles" after that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/16/07 at 2:34 am

"We Built This City" featured the oldest female artist to have a #1 hit (Grace Slick being 46 in 1985), until it was broken by Cher's "Believe" (I think she was 52 or 53 in 1999).

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/07 at 2:47 am

...broken by Cher's "Believe" (I think she was 52 or 53 in 1999).
Cher age at the time was 52 years and 7 months at the time of the number one record.

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/07 at 2:55 am

.. The 1980 Disco hit "Love Sensation" by Loleatta Holloway is one of the most sampled songs in music?

- It was a UK #1 in 1989 as sampled in "Ride on Time" by Black Box
- It was a US #1 in 1991 as sampled in "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
- In May of 2006, a remixed version by Eddie Thoneick and Kurd Maverick hit #39 in the UK
- The following month (June of 2006), a new version by Loleatta hit #37 in the UK

Written By: Paul on 01/16/07 at 8:01 am

"We Built This City" featured the oldest female artist to have a #1 hit (Grace Slick being 46 in 1985), until it was broken by Cher's "Believe" (I think she was 52 or 53 in 1999).

An affectionate mention to the late Hilda Woodward, who was 58 years young when she hit the top of the British chart as part of Lieutenant Pigeon with 'Mouldy Old Dough' in 1972...

I can vividly remember watching this old dear walloping the life out of a piano on a TV appearance at the time...and I couldn't have been no more than 5 years old!

Strange how some things stay with you!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/07 at 8:39 am

An affectionate mention to the late Hilda Woodward, who was 58 years young when she hit the top of the British chart as part of Lieutenant Pigeon with 'Mouldy Old Dough' in 1972...

I can vividly remember watching this old dear walloping the life out of a piano on a TV appearance at the time...and I couldn't have been no more than 5 years old!

Strange how some things stay with you!
Oh yes, I share the same image, mine is in black and white.

Written By: Henk on 01/16/07 at 12:47 pm

...that Lee Newman (of Technohead) was the only artist to die while holding the #1 spot in Dutch Top 40?

...of course you didn't!

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/07 at 1:36 pm

...that Lee Newman (of Technohead) was the only artist to die while holding the #1 spot in Dutch Top 40?

...of course you didn't!

I didn't know that, but it's interesting, and sad.  I loved their song "I Wanna Be A Hippy"

Written By: Henk on 01/16/07 at 2:04 pm

I didn't know that, but it's interesting, and sad.  I loved their song "I Wanna Be A Hippy"

"I Wanna Be A Hippy" was the #1 song in question. It held the number one spot for three weeks in 1995 (July 15 - August 4), and Lee Newman died on August 4. :\'(

FYI: "Happy Birthday" and "Banana Na Na" also made it to Dutch Top 40.

NEXT PAGE: Did You Know? - The Music Edition

Check for new replies or respond here...