» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Re: Did You Know?

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/07 at 2:15 pm

"I Wanna Be A Hippy" was the #1 song in question. It held the number one spot for three weeks in 1995 (July 15 - August 4), and Lee Newman died on August 4. :\'(

FYI: "Happy Birthday" and "Banana Na Na" also made it to Dutch Top 40.

What did he die from?

Written By: Henk on 01/16/07 at 2:17 pm

What did he die from?

She  ;) - and I don't know. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/07 at 2:20 pm

What did he die from?
One website gives the death as cancer.

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/07 at 2:24 pm

She  ;) - and I don't know. :-\\

lol oops

One website gives the death as cancer.

Cancer kills so many  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/07 at 8:19 am

...that Ronnie Scot the late jazz musician and London Night Club propietor did lots of occasional session work, which includes  a solo piece on The Beatles' "Lady Madonna".

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/07 at 11:49 pm

... that "Hummingbird" in 1955, the first US hit for Frankie Laine was his 19th hit in the UK?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/22/07 at 5:22 am

COVERS:

-The Tubes covered the song "The Monkey Time", on their 1983 LP "Outside/Inside"; that song was actually done in the early '70s.

-"Mercury Blues" is one of the most covered songs to date. Artists to have covered in include Meat Loaf, Alan Jackson, Chris Isaak, and the fusion jazz group Weather Report.

-Willie Nelson covreed the song "Don't Gice Up", which was originally done by Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush.

-The group Van Halen covered two very prominent songs from the 1960s: "You Really Got Me", by the Kinks, and "Oh, Pretty Woman", by Roy Orbison.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/07 at 10:30 pm

On Carl Palmer's side of ELP's Works Vol. 1, Joe Walsh plays guitar and lends scat vocals on
th track L.A. Nights

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/07 at 10:48 pm

... that in 1988, Jon Anderson left Yes cause he wasn't happy with the new line-up? 

In 1989, he joined with former members Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe and formed a quartet called Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe.  They released 1 self-titled album that same year and had a hit with "Brother of Mine" which hit #61 in Canada, and was a popular video on MTV in America.  This led to a Yes re-union with both old and new members and the resulting effort was the 1991 album "Union"

Written By: Paul on 01/23/07 at 7:56 am

... that "Hummingbird" in 1955, the first US hit for Frankie Laine was his 19th hit in the UK?

Not quite...he'd had hits in his homeland since 1947, although a lot of chart books seem to 'forget' about the period before RnR became mainstream (pre-'55)...

Curiously enough, both he and Guy Mitchell became white-hot in Britain just as their chart fortunes in the States started to decline...

Frankie still holds the British record for the longest stay at #1 with 'I Believe' (1953)...18 weeks, which I can't imagine ever being broken...

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/23/07 at 12:35 pm

COVERS:
"Mercury Blues" is one of the most covered songs to date. Artists to have covered in include Meat Loaf, Alan Jackson, Chris Isaak, and the fusion jazz group Weather Report.

Did YOU know that most of the covers of Mercury Blues in the last 20 years or so, are based on not so much a cover version of the original, but a version by David Lindley from his 1981 album El Rayo X. On that album, David rewrote the music to several old songs and put his own spin on them. To anybody who knows the Steve Miller version of Mercury Blues, from the album "Fly Like An Eagle" in 1976, the only thing shared by the two versions are the lyrics. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/07 at 12:48 pm

.. that in Canada, 10cc had their last Top 40 hit with "Don't Turn Me Away" in 1982, 5 years after their final Top 40 hits in the UK (Dreadlock Holiday, 1978) and America (People in Love, 1977)

Not quite...he'd had hits in his homeland since 1947, although a lot of chart books seem to 'forget' about the period before RnR became mainstream (pre-'55)...

Curiously enough, both he and Guy Mitchell became white-hot in Britain just as their chart fortunes in the States started to decline...

Frankie still holds the British record for the longest stay at #1 with 'I Believe' (1953)...18 weeks, which I can't imagine ever being broken...

I had a feeling that something didn't quite add up in the chart findings I came across.  Seems like the pre RnR period is often overlooked in artists discographies. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/07 at 12:50 pm

Did you know that popular British singer Alvin Stardust was a one hit wonder in Canada?  "My Coo Ca Choo" reached  #86 in 1974.  He had no hits in America

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/25/07 at 5:27 am

Paul McCartney woke up from a dream in the mid 60's with the music to "Yesterday" floating around in his head. When he woke up, he went to the piano, and recorded the melody so he would remember it. As he put it, "For about a month I went round to people in the music business and asked them whether they had ever heard it before. Eventually it became like handing something in to the police. I thought if no-one claimed it after a few weeks then I could have it". After being satisfied that he wasn't plagiarizing another artists work, he wrote temporary lyrics to it, with the title "Scrambled Eggs", so he wouldn't forget the flow of the music. "Yesterday" later became the most covered song in the world, with more than 3000 versions performed by other artists. The song was so much different from the other songs released by The Beatles at the time, George, Ringo, and John refused to allow it's release as a single in the UK.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/25/07 at 5:01 pm

On the Eagles song "Hotel California:"

The line "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" is a reference to Steely Dan. They shared the same manager and had a friendly rivalry. The year before, Steely Dan included the line "Turn up The Eagles, the neighbors are listening" on the song "Everything You Did."

A vast majority of people hear "Mirrors on the ceiling, the pink champagne on ice," but if you listen real close he clearly
says "Depict champagne on ice."

This is one line that will be argued for an eternity.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/07 at 4:48 pm

Paul McCartney woke up from a dream in the mid 60's with the music to "Yesterday" floating around in his head. When he woke up, he went to the piano, and recorded the melody so he would remember it. As he put it, "For about a month I went round to people in the music business and asked them whether they had ever heard it before. Eventually it became like handing something in to the police. I thought if no-one claimed it after a few weeks then I could have it". After being satisfied that he wasn't plagiarizing another artists work, he wrote temporary lyrics to it, with the title "Scrambled Eggs", so he wouldn't forget the flow of the music. "Yesterday" later became the most covered song in the world, with more than 3000 versions performed by other artists. The song was so much different from the other songs released by The Beatles at the time, George, Ringo, and John refused to allow it's release as a single in the UK.
...and he composed the tune on the piano in Alma Cogan's Kensington Flat

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/07 at 6:29 pm

... Paul Anka wrote the theme to The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson?

He also penned several BIG hits for other artists such as "My Way" by Frank Sinatra and "She's A Lady" by Tom Jones

Written By: Apricot on 01/26/07 at 7:05 pm

None of The Beatles could! :o

A lot of decent musicians can't.. Captain Beefheart couldn't read a note of music either.

Wouldn't have guessed The Beatles.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/26/07 at 9:20 pm

A lot of decent musicians can't.. Captain Beefheart couldn't read a note of music either.

Wouldn't have guessed The Beatles.

Paul McCartney learned how in the late nineties, I think.

And Captain Beefheart, well... He would whistle his songs, and one of his bandmates would transcribe it. XD This is why his songs sound a mess.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/07 at 3:46 am

He also penned several BIG hits for other artists such as "My Way" by Frank Sinatra and "She's A Lady" by Tom Jones
...translating the lyrics from French

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/07 at 3:48 am

...that Brian Eno is producing Coldplay's next album.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/27/07 at 3:56 am

It better not sound like a U2 reject.

Written By: Apricot on 01/27/07 at 7:35 pm

And Captain Beefheart, well... He would whistle his songs, and one of his bandmates would transcribe it. XD This is why his songs sound a mess.

That's what I've heard.. but I don't think that's why they sound like such a mess.. apparently Beefheart did that on purpose.. he was very strict with his musicians, there was to be no deviation from exactly what you were to play.

Apparently The Birthday Party were the same way, I just found out.. though the music sounds on the verge of collapse, it was apparently very precisely-written.

Written By: Coldplay Fan on 01/30/07 at 7:26 am

I wanna hear that

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/02/07 at 6:32 pm

Some interesting facts....

Paint It Black is about the view of someone who's depressed, he wants everything to be black, just like his mood.

"I turn my head until my darkness goes" is from James Joyce's Ulysses. 

It was also the theme song from the TV show, Tour of Duty.  Unfortunatly, because it was too expensive to continue using the song, it ended getting replaced with an instrumental version  instead.

The lyrics for Sympathy For The Devil, were insipired by the novel "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/07 at 3:56 am

Some interesting facts....

Paint It Black is about the view of someone who's depressed, he wants everything to be black, just like his mood.

"I turn my head until my darkness goes" is from James Joyce's Ulysses. 

It was also the theme song from the TV show, Tour of Duty.  Unfortunatly, because it was too expensive to continue using the song, it ended getting replaced with an instrumental version  instead.

The lyrics for Sympathy For The Devil, were insipired by the novel "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov
Paint It Black made a superb ending for the closing credits in the move Full Metal Jacket.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/07 at 10:37 am

... that "Shock the Monkey" in 1982 became Peter Gabriel's first US Top 40 hit?

... that Gabe Kaplan (of "Welcome Back, Kotter") had a hit single in 1977 called "Up Your Nose"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/07 at 3:12 am

...the World's Oldest Record is in Cardiff, Wales

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/389005783_12588a5071_m.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 3:14 am

...the World's Oldest Record is in Cardiff, Wales

What record is it though?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/07 at 3:16 am

What record is it though?
Sorry I missed out the word sShop.

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 3:47 am

Sorry I missed out the word sShop.

Ah I getcha.  A Record Shop. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/07 at 2:43 pm

Did you know that Ronan Keating gave up a promising athletic career to become a member of the boyband Boyzone, but still kept his Shoe Shop Assistant Job in case it did not work out.

Written By: gemini on 02/27/07 at 12:20 pm

In 1967 the Monkees outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones  :o

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 9:52 pm

In 1967 the Monkees outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones  :o

Why yes I did!!! :-X Oops sorry didn't mean to interupt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/07 at 4:14 pm

In 1967 the Monkees outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones   :o
So did I!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/07 at 4:15 pm

Did you know that the singer Holly Valance is Benny Hill's cousins twice removed?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/07 at 6:03 pm

Mickey Gilley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Jimmy Swaggart are cousins

Written By: mr crowly on 03/10/07 at 7:37 pm

canada has apoligised many times for bryan adams  ;D  tom bairly and alana curry from thomson twins were together  mike reid had band the relax videio but allowd other sexual song on the show ( like a virgin for one)

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/07 at 3:10 pm

canada has apoligised many times for bryan adams  ;D

No they haven't.  lol
Bryan Adams is well loved across Canada.  He was born here in my hometown 8)

Written By: Paul on 03/11/07 at 6:25 pm

Such was their stranglehold that in a little over the space of a year (November 1966 - December 1967), they had four #1 LP's in the US...(a record that stands to this day) :o

Can you imagine an act releasing four albums a year in this day and age?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/07 at 4:46 pm

How the mighty have fallen. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/07 at 4:54 pm

No they haven't.  lol
Bryan Adams is well loved across Canada.  He was born here in my hometown 8)
Nothing wrong with Bryan Adams!

Any chance for a Celine Dion apology?

Written By: gemini on 03/12/07 at 5:23 pm

Such was their stranglehold that in a little over the space of a year (November 1966 - December 1967), they had four #1 LP's in the US...(a record that stands to this day) :o

Can you imagine an act releasing four albums a year in this day and age?

I wonder if they were just talking record sales or does that include Monkees merchandise too? Lunchboxes, dolls, bubble gum cards, (which I had a few of myself) etc. . . .

Written By: Paul on 03/12/07 at 5:24 pm

I wonder if they were just talking record sales or does that include Monkees merchandise too? Lunchboxes, dolls, bubble gum cards, (which I had a few of myself) etc. . . .

That was just the album sales! :o

The merchandise must have made someone very wealthy!

Written By: gemini on 03/12/07 at 5:25 pm

That was just the album sales! :o

The merchandise must have made someone very wealthy!

And some parents of teenage girls very poor!  ;D

Written By: Paul on 03/12/07 at 5:30 pm

And some parents of teenage girls very poor!  ;D

;)

Every generation goes through it!

I think my sister (via my folks) must have poured untold thousands in the direction of the Bay City Rollers... :P

Written By: gemini on 03/12/07 at 5:35 pm

;)

Every generation goes through it!

I think my sister (via my folks) must have poured untold thousands in the direction of the Bay City Rollers... :P

Yep, with my oldest it was New Kids On The Block. She had the sheets, the dolls, the lunchbox, the t-shirts. . . . . , but I can't complain because I bought into it.

Written By: mr crowly on 03/14/07 at 2:27 pm

it was south park refrence

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/07 at 4:12 pm

...that the performers in the 70s Band Bay City Rollers did not earn much money.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/07 at 10:21 pm

...that a brew of alchohol and dried beaver testicle was used to prevent pregnancy during the 1700s

?

Written By: jackas on 03/16/07 at 9:30 am

LOL  I was on the wrong thread!!!  :D

I'll delete it and try it again...on the right thread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/07 at 3:10 pm

LOL  I was on the wrong thread!!!  :D

I'll delete it and try it again...on the right thread.
I will delete my reply too!

Written By: Paul on 03/16/07 at 3:38 pm

Did you know that veteran Aussie rockers AC/DC hold the record for the most British singles chart entries (28) without ever cracking the Top Ten?

The closest they got was with 'Heatseeker' which made #12 in 1988...

No such problems with their LPs, 8 of which have made the Top Ten...and one ('Back In Black') hitting the very top!

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/07 at 10:01 pm

Did you know that veteran Aussie rockers AC/DC hold the record for the most British singles chart entries (28) without ever cracking the Top Ten?

The closest they got was with 'Heatseeker' which made #12 in 1988...

No such problems with their LPs, 8 of which have made the Top Ten...and one ('Back In Black') hitting the very top!

AC/DC were also popular in North America, but did you know they only reached the US Top 40 three times, neither single entering the Top 20?  In Canada, they had 4 Top 40 hits, only seeing the Top 10 once with "Let's Get it Up"

1979 - Highway to Hell
1980 - You Shook Me All Night Long
1980 - Back in Black
1982 - Let's Get it Up
1983 - Guns For Hire
1988 - Heatseeker
1990 - Thunderstruck
1991 - Moneytalks
1993 - Big Gun
1995 - Hard as A Rock
1996 - Cover You in Oil
1997 - Dirty Eyes

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/17/07 at 2:29 am

AC/DC were also popular in North America, but did you know they only reached the US Top 40 twice, neither single entering the Top 30?

"Moneytalks" was a top 30 hit, as you correctly pointed out in your discography.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/07 at 6:23 pm

"Moneytalks" was a top 30 hit, as you correctly pointed out in your discography.

LOL a slight typo.  I always forget Moneytalks because it was so long since Back in Black

Written By: Tia on 03/17/07 at 6:34 pm

did you know new zealand and australia are different countries? i thought they were basically the same country.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/07 at 2:41 am

did you know new zealand and australia are different countries? i thought they were basically the same country.
Different countries, but still both belong to the British Commonwealth

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 8:27 am

Different countries, but still both belong to the British Commonwealth
how come you guys own everybody? what's up with dat? :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/07 at 2:09 pm

It is all down to history.

Written By: Paul on 03/21/07 at 4:56 pm

Our forebears had a fetish for sticking Union Jacks into various bits of the planet many years ago...

It's the main reason why these countries who had the flags stuck into them hate us!

I blame Victoria!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/07 at 4:59 pm

Our forebears had a fetish for sticking Union Jacks into various bits of the planet many years ago...

It's the main reason why these countries who had the flags stuck into them hate us!

I blame Victoria!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/British_Empire_1897.jpg/400px-British_Empire_1897.jpg

The British Empire in 1897, marked in pink, the traditional colour for Imperial British dominions on maps.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/21/07 at 6:16 pm

The old adage "The sun never sets on the British Empire" really was quite true.  At any given part of the day, it was sunny on some piece of land England owned.  Amazing.

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 11:41 pm

I blame Victoria!
http://userpic.livejournal.com/41778520/130110

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/07 at 8:27 am

Do you know that Status Quo were not the first to play at Live Aid back in 1986, it was the Coldstream Guards, with a royal salute, "God Save The Queen"

Written By: karen on 03/22/07 at 9:21 am

Do you know that Status Quo were not the first to play at Live Aid back in 1986, it was the Coldstream Guards, with a royal salute, "God Save The Queen"

Yes I just read the other thread!

Written By: Henk on 04/22/07 at 11:21 am

Did you know that Pete Wingfield, a OHW in Dutch Top 40 with a song called "18 With A Bullet", achieved this by peaking at #18...with a bullet?!  :o (The date was August 16, 1975).

Written By: Paul on 04/22/07 at 1:21 pm

Did you know that Pete Wingfield, a OHW in Dutch Top 40 with a song called "18 With A Bullet", achieved this by peaking at #18...with a bullet?!  :o (The date was August 16, 1975).

And he also did it in the Billboard Hot 100 on November 22nd that year...

Sadly, he didn't quite achieve a hat-trick in his home country, but he did crash into the Top 40 at #15...

OHW he may be, but he's played on and produced countless hit records...

Written By: Henk on 04/22/07 at 2:16 pm

And he also did it in the Billboard Hot 100 on November 22nd that year...

Sadly, he didn't quite achieve a hat-trick in his home country, but he did crash into the Top 40 at #15...

Well, that would have been more than coincidental, wouldn't it?  ::) People might suspect some sort of plot by the record industry...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/07 at 1:26 am

Did you know that "You're Movin' Out Today," was co-written by Carole Bayer Sager and Bette Midler?

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/07 at 2:20 am

Did you know that "You're Movin' Out Today," was co-written by Carole Bayer Sager and Bette Midler?

Carole Bayer Sager is great.  She has penned or co-penned alot of great songs, incllding one of my favourites .. "That's What Friends Are For", the original 1982 version as sung by Rod Stewart

Written By: Paul on 04/25/07 at 7:10 am

Rather strangely, Carole missed out having a hit with it in the US, but it did chart in a version by...Bette Midler!

Very talented writer, is Carole...but one of her earliest efforts ('A Groovy Kind Of Love') I've never much cared for...

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/25/07 at 4:26 pm

Rather strangely, Carole missed out having a hit with it in the US, but it did chart in a version by...Bette Midler!

They both charted it in the US...

I love Sager's self-titled album. I wish the others would see CD release.

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/07 at 3:53 am

Did you know that British progressive rock legends Procol Harum qualified for Canadian Content, but not via music and lyrics?  Their 1971 Live album was recorded with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, thus giving them Cancon credit as an Artist and recording which was Produced in Canada on the album and the smash hit 'Conquistador'

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/07 at 9:19 pm

Did you know that August Darnell, lead singer of Kid Creole and the Coconuts is Canadian?  I don't know how I didn't know that, but I just found it out

Written By: Paul on 05/16/07 at 3:07 pm

Did you know that August Darnell, lead singer of Kid Creole and the Coconuts is Canadian?  I don't know how I didn't know that, but I just found it out

Like many others, I always thought he was American (my reference book lists him as being born and raised in the Bronx)...

But I do know that he eventually married one of his British fans and lived in Yorkshire for a while!

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/07 at 3:52 pm

Like many others, I always thought he was American (my reference book lists him as being born and raised in the Bronx)...

But I do know that he eventually married one of his British fans and lived in Yorkshire for a while!

Several books do cite him as being born in the Bronx, but several others claim he was actually born in Montreal, Quebec in 1950.  Answers.com lists both on the same page
http://www.answers.com/topic/kid-creole-and-the-coconuts

Since his mother is a French-Canadian though, he automatically is given Canadian status

Written By: Paul on 05/16/07 at 4:11 pm

Several books do cite him as being born in the Bronx, but several others claim he was actually born in Montreal, Quebec in 1950.

And that's quite a reliable reference book that I've got! Just shows you...

Since his mother is a French-Canadian though, he automatically is given Canadian status

You'd do us all a favour by writing a book of your own, Jason...

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/07 at 6:02 pm

And that's quite a reliable reference book that I've got! Just shows you...

You'd do us all a favour by writing a book of your own, Jason...

Nah, i'll leave it to the pros lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/07 at 2:10 pm

Did you know that...

How Can I Keep From Singing? by Enya, was originally a traditional Christian hymn written by American Baptist minister Robert Wadsworth Lowry in 1860. Pete Seeger learned this song from Doris Plenn, who had it from her North Carolina family. His version made this song fairly well known in the folk revival of the 1960s. Seeger's version omits much of the Christian wording of the original, and adds a verse.

Written By: Paul on 05/17/07 at 2:18 pm

Did you know that...

How Can I Keep From Singing? by Enya, was originally a traditional Christian hymn written by American Baptist minister Robert Wadsworth Lowry in 1860. Pete Seeger learned this song from Doris Plenn, who had it from her North Carolina family. His version made this song fairly well known in the folk revival of the 1960s. Seeger's version omits much of the Christian wording of the original, and adds a verse.

'Amazing Grace' has near-enough the same sort-of pedigree (tho' without Pete seeger's involvement)...

To this day, it remains the earliest song (in both words & lyrics) to top the British chart when some blokes with bagpipes hit big with it in 1972...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/07 at 2:25 pm

'Amazing Grace' has near-enough the same sort-of pedigree (tho' without Pete seeger's involvement)...

To this day, it remains the earliest song (in both words & lyrics) to top the British chart when some blokes with bagpipes hit big with it in 1972...
How about The Beatles's All You Need Is Love, it contained Greensleeves and that dates back to 15th Century?

Written By: Paul on 05/17/07 at 2:39 pm

How about The Beatles's All You Need Is Love, it contained Greensleeves and that dates back to 15th Century?

I suppose 'technically' that's correct...but that wasn't really credited in its own right within the song...

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 1:12 am

Did you know that Telly Savalas and Boy George both had UK #1 hits with covers of songs by Bread? 

- Telly Savalas with 'If' in 1974/75
- Boy George with 'Everything I Own' in 1987

Despite no chart action in the US, both versions saw some success in Canada: Savalas reached #88 (1974) and Boy George hit #13 (1987)

Written By: Paul on 05/27/07 at 11:36 am

Did you know that Telly Savalas and Boy George both had UK #1 hits with covers of songs by Bread? 

- Telly Savalas with 'If' in 1974/75
- Boy George with 'Everything I Own' in 1987

Add one more to that tally...

'Everything I Own' hit #1 in 1974 in a 'soft-reggae' style by Ken Boothe (which Boy George loosely based his version upon...)

The less said about (ahem!) Telly's epic rendition, the better... :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/07 at 11:38 am

Michael Palin wrote the Sleeve Notes for the First Traveling Wilburys album.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/07 at 11:16 pm

... that in Canada, Bob Marley had no hit singles while he was alive, but became a one hit wonder long after his death?  His only charting single here came in 2000 when the popular remix 'Sun is Shining' (credited to Bob Marley vs. Funk Star Deluxe) reached #38 on the Canadian chart

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/07 at 7:53 am

... that in Canada, Bob Marley had no hit singles while he was alive, but became a one hit wonder long after his death?  His only charting single here came in 2000 when the popular remix 'Sun is Shining' (credited to Bob Marley vs. Funk Star Deluxe) reached #38 on the Canadian chart
Now that is unusual.

Written By: Lindee on 06/06/07 at 10:56 am

Gene Simmons and Sting both were teachers before they became famous.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/07 at 10:57 am

Gene Simmons and Sting both were teachers before they became famous.
Sting was a Maths teacher I believe and he always asked for his pupils not to stand to close to him.

Written By: karen on 06/06/07 at 11:05 am

Sting was a Maths teacher I believe and he always asked for his pupils not to stand to close to him.

I think he taught English

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/07 at 11:57 am

I think he taught English
From Wiki:

After jobs as a bus conductor, a construction labourer and a tax officer, he attended Northern Counties Teachers' Training College, which later became part of Northumbria University, from 1971 to 1974. He then worked as a teacher at St. Paul's First School in Cramlington for two years.

Subject: Re: Did You Know? - The Music Edition

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 3:16 pm

... the 90s British alt rock band Bush had to be re-named Bush x for their albums to be released in Canada?

In the 70s, ex James Gang (and future Guess Who) member Domenic Troiano had a band called Bush, and still owned the rights to the name.  In the late 90s, Gavin Rossdale and Troiano worked out a deal, and gave Rossdale the rights to the name so they could lose the X

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/07 at 6:26 am

Did you that it was David Bowie that provided the handclaps on the 1979 hit Pop Muzik by M.

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 11:06 am

Did you that it was David Bowie that provided the handclaps on the 1979 hit Pop Muzik by M.

I didn't know that.  Interesting fact :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/23/07 at 12:23 pm

Well, now I have to put that song back on my mp3 player.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/07 at 12:36 pm

I didn't know that.  Interesting fact :)

Well, now I have to put that song back on my mp3 player.

"Pop Muzik" was performed by Robin Scott, known as M. The album New York London Paris Munich was recorded in Montreux in Switzerland, and (at the time) local Montreux resident David Bowie was able to attend the recordings.

By the way, also on the album an engineer Wally Badarou who was to later work with Steve Winwood, and the drummer was Level 42's Phil Gould.

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 5:51 pm

"Pop Muzik" was performed by Robin Scott, known as M. The album New York London Paris Munich was recorded in Montreux in Switzerland, and (at the time) local Montreux resident David Bowie was able to attend the recordings.

By the way, also on the album an engineer Wally Badarou who was to later work with Steve Winwood, and the drummer was Level 42's Phil Gould.

I knew Wally Badarou was on it :)

He had a solo hit called 'Chief Inspector'.  I know this coz it's on some UK double LP vinyl album I got called 'Hit Mix 86'

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/07 at 3:33 am

Icelandic group Sigur Ros hold the record for most consecutive weeks in the top 40 of the Canadian Singles Sales Chart without reaching #1

Their mysterious track 'Untitled 1' spent over 160 weeks in the chart.  It first entered the Top 40 in June of 2003 and was still in the Top 40 by mid 2006. 

It is a beautiful song :)

EDIT:  I may be wrong.  According to the figures I researched, Elton John's 'Candle in the Wind '97' only spent 140 weeks in the Top 40 which would make Sigur Ros the record holder in general with or without a #1 position.  I'll need to research Sigur Ros's run in the chart and come back to this later ...  Stay Tuned!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 4:35 am

In 1967 when Mick Jagger and Keith Richard were imprisoned for the famous drug bust raid at Keith Richard's home, the Who recorded two Rolling Stones songs The Last Time and Under My Thumb to keep the Rolling Stones' music alive in the charts till their release.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/07 at 12:00 pm

Did you know that the Cher's first single was an unsuccessful novelty single "Ringo, I Love You," released under the pseudonym of Bonnie Jo Mason and produced by Phil Spector.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/28/07 at 12:35 pm

Icelandic group Sigur Ros hold the record for most consecutive weeks in the top 40 of the Canadian Singles Sales Chart without reaching #1

Their mysterious track 'Untitled 1' spent over 160 weeks in the chart.  It first entered the Top 40 in June of 2003 and was still in the Top 40 by mid 2006. 

It is a beautiful song :)

EDIT:  I may be wrong.  According to the figures I researched, Elton John's 'Candle in the Wind '97' only spent 140 weeks in the Top 40 which would make Sigur Ros the record holder in general with or without a #1 position.  I'll need to research Sigur Ros's run in the chart and come back to this later ...  Stay Tuned!

Wow... I never knew Sigur Ros had a hit... anywhere...

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 3:34 pm

Wow... I never knew Sigur Ros had a hit... anywhere...

They've had a few hits in several countries ...

'Hoppipolla' hit #24 in the UK
'Ba Ba Ti Ki Do Do' got to #4 in Canada

and according to a site I found, 'Ba Ba Ti Ki Do Do' also got to #34 in the US sales chart

Written By: La Roche on 07/28/07 at 5:26 pm

Did you know.. that Lemmy Kilmister (Of Motorhead fame for the music illiterate amongst us) talked on the phone with or saw Dee Dee, Joey and Johnny (I don't think I need to say which band they were in) all in the week before they died.

Now, with Joey & Johnny it's understandable as both were clearly dieing for some time.. but Dee Dee overdosed.

Interesting coincidence.

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/07 at 12:43 am

I must correct myself here .. Long after his passing, Bob Marley first hit the Canadian chart in 1992 with 'Iron Lion Zion'.  'Sun is Shining' followed in 2000, giving him a total of only 2 hits in Canada

In Canada, there is more than one chart used to measure hit singles, and I didn't even notice 'Iron Lion Zion' until just recently :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/07 at 1:49 pm

DYK that when Sun Arise was recorded by Rolf Harris and produced by George Martin, no one in the UK could play the didgeridoo, so that sound on the record was produced by 4 bass viols.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/07 at 1:53 pm

DYK that when Sun Arise was recorded by Rolf Harris and produced by George Martin, no one in the UK could play the didgeridoo, so that sound on the record was produced by 4 bass viols.
Therefore, was Sun Arise recorded at the Abbey Road Studios?

Written By: Paul on 08/07/07 at 2:39 pm

That's some going!  :o

The British can't match that...the nearest we can offer is the 55-week run by Acker Bilk's 'Stranger On The Shore' which, throughout most of 1962, was no stranger at all!

It's 'official' peak was #2, but the NME's more accurate chart of the time placed it at #1 for a week...

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 3:22 pm

That's some going!  :o

The British can't match that...the nearest we can offer is the 55-week run by Acker Bilk's 'Stranger On The Shore' which, throughout most of 1962, was no stranger at all!

It's 'official' peak was #2, but the NME's more accurate chart of the time placed it at #1 for a week...

55 weeks is pretty good.  From what I've seen on the UK charts, something like that won't ever occur again?  Seems like a song will de but in the UK at it's peak, then quickly fall off the chart

If you thought Sigur Ros had an unbelievable run, you ain't seen nothin' yet.  Based on several charts in Canada used to measure hit singles, here's more ...

CANADIAN SINGLES CHART (based only on Sales)

Candle in the Wind '97 - Elton John
- The full top 40 after 1999 isn't archived to my knowledge, so I can only see what's in the Top 10.  As of September 23, 2000, it had been in the chart consecutively for 156 weeks, holding #1 for 35 consecutive weeks (45 weeks total at #1)

Paradoxx - 666
- Entered in 1999, and ran for 112 consecutive weeks.  It peaked at #9

Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) - Backstreet Boys
- Entered in 1997.  Peaked at #3 and ran for 85 weeks

RPM 100 SINGLES (Canada's equivalent to the Billboard Hot 100.  It ceased in 2000)

American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
- 56 weeks in the Top 100, peaking at #26.  37 of those weeks were spent outside of the Top 40

THE RECORD (Retail singles chart)

The Power of Love - Celine Dion
- Entered in 1994, running 70 weeks in the Top 40 and holding #1 for 7 weeks

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/07 at 3:24 pm

The longest time spent in the top 40 in the UK Charts is 75 weeks by Frank Sinatra's "My Way" between April 1969 and Sep 1971. It has spent a further 49 weeks in the Top 75 and never bettered the number 5 slot achieved upon its first chart run.

Written By: Paul on 08/07/07 at 3:31 pm

The longest time spent in the top 40 in the UK Charts is 75 weeks by Frank Sinatra's "My Way" between April 1969 and Sep 1971. It has spent a further 49 weeks in the Top 75 and never bettered the number 5 slot achieved upon its first chart run.

And co-written, of course, by Paul Anka...those bloody Canucks get everywhere!  ;)

If legend is to be believed, the song (in its translated form) was first offered to Tom Jones...who rejected it! (He did eventually get round to recording a version, but then...who hasn't?)

Written By: Henk on 08/07/07 at 4:04 pm

If we're discussing longevity...

The current record for longevity in Dutch Top 40 is held by Corry & De Rekels. Their song "Huilen Is Voor Jou Te Laat" (It's too late for you to cry) spent 41 consecutive weeks in the chart in 1970 (without reaching #1, btw - it peaked at #5).
And here's a little added trivia: the song was written by none other than Father Abraham (yes, the bearded bard with his Smurfs!)

The Dutch Top 40 isn't the only Dutch chart. There are (and have been) others, like the Mega Top 100. The record for longevity in that chart is held by Kabouter Plop with the "Kabouterdans" (Gnome's dance), a rather childish (but extremely catchy) tune that spent 62 consecutive weeks in that chart. I don't think it reached #1, but if memory serves, it did make top 10.
For comparison: the very same record only lasted 3 weeks in Dutch Top 40, because the latter was based on airplay at that time (2001).

Written By: Paul on 08/07/07 at 4:43 pm

And here's a little added trivia: the song was written by none other than Father Abraham (yes, the bearded bard with his Smurfs!)

Hiss... >:(

Actually, the bearded one and his chums also belong to an exclusive British chart club...the most weeks spent at #2 with (guess what?) 'The Smurf Song'...it stayed there for six weeks!  :o

There's only been nine records in the entire history of the British chart that have had six week (or longer) stays in runner-up spot...

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 4:47 pm

The fact that The Smurfs actually charted singles makes me chuckle ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/07 at 3:17 pm

DYK that Elvis Presley was a twin, where the other twin was stillborn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/07 at 6:04 am

DYK that Eric Clapton's sing "Layla" was inspired by a Persian love story called The Story of Layla / Layla and Majnun (ليلى ومجنون), by the Persian classical poet Nezami.

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 1:12 pm

Meco, under the name Cantina Band released a Beach Boys medley titled 'Summer 81'.  It was released in 1981 and it peaked at #81 on the US chart. 

Kinda makes you wonder if that was planned ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/13/07 at 6:36 pm

Meco, under the name Cantina Band released a Beach Boys medley titled 'Summer 81'.  It was released in 1981 and it peaked at #81 on the US chart. 

Kinda makes you wonder if that was planned ;D

Well, it was probably named after the year it was made.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/07 at 10:29 pm

DYK that Eric Clapton's sing "Layla" was inspired by a Persian love story called The Story of Layla / Layla and Majnun (ليلى ومجنون), by the Persian classical poet Nezami.

One of the song's co-composers, session drummer Jim Gordon, developed paranoid schizophrenia and killed his mother with a hammer and a butcher's knife in in 1983.  He has was sentenced to sixteen years to life, spending much of sentence at Atascadaro State Hospital for the criminally insane. 

He is a wealthy man from royalties he cannot spend confined to the state hospital.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/07 at 3:20 am

Did you know that the song Mad About The Boy by Dinah Washington, was written by Noel Coward, and learning that it brings a total new meaning to the song.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/07 at 9:07 pm

"Shine on You Crazy Diamond" was about Syd Barrett, who made a surprise appearance at the recording session.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 2:03 am

Did you know that over the years, Nik Kershaw has collaborated on albums with artists such as Elton John, Bonnie Tyler, Tony Banks, Les Rythmes Digitales, Michael W. Smith and Imogen Heap.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:26 am

Did you know that over the years, Nik Kershaw has collaborated on albums with artists such as Elton John

He played Electric Guitar on 'Nikita' which also featured BG Vocals from George Michael

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:30 am

Did you know that Nik Kershaw wrote 'The One and Only' for Chesney Hawkes in 1990, which topped the UK chart giving Kershaw his only British #1.  He also wrote and produced many songs for the boy band Let Loose, their biggest hit 'Crazy' reaching #2 in the UK chart in 1994

The highest he came as a solo artist was the 2nd release of 'I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me' which reached UK #2 in 1984

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 2:33 am

Did you know that Nik Kershaw wrote 'The One and Only' for Chesney Hawkes in 1990, which topped the UK chart giving Kershaw his only British #1... 
That was to be my next posting in this thread.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:42 pm

Did you know that in the hit "Killing Me Softly With His Song"by Roberta Flack, "his song" is American Pie by Don McLean

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/07 at 11:20 pm

Did you know that Enya's 'The Christmas EP' re-charted several times in Canada?

Christmas 1996
Christmas 1997
Christmas 1998
Christmas 1999

Written By: Paul on 08/20/07 at 6:50 am

Christmas 1996
Christmas 1997
Christmas 1998
Christmas 1999

Staying on the Christmas theme (and it ain't far away!)...

Slade's evergreen 'Merry Xmas Everybody' has entered the British chart on no less than nine festive seasons since 1973 (although one version was a re-recording)...

For all its festive appeal, it was recorded in the middle of a New York heatwave!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/07 at 6:53 am

Christmas 1996
Christmas 1997
Christmas 1998
Christmas 1999
Did you know that I do not have a copy of the Enya Christmas Album for my collection.

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/07 at 12:26 pm

Staying on the Christmas theme (and it ain't far away!)...

Slade's evergreen 'Merry Xmas Everybody' has entered the British chart on no less than nine festive seasons since 1973 (although one version was a re-recording)...

For all its festive appeal, it was recorded in the middle of a New York heatwave!

holy 9 times.  That's something :o

Didn't 'I Believe in Father Christmas' by Greg Lake also re-chart several times in the UK ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/07 at 12:29 pm

holy 9 times.  That's something :o

Didn't 'I Believe in Father Christmas' by Greg Lake also re-chart several times in the UK ?
UK Chart Releases for I Believe In Father Christmas by Greg Lake

1975 reached #2, 7 weeks
1982 reached #72, 3 weeks
1983 reached #65, 2 weeks

Written By: Paul on 08/20/07 at 1:39 pm

Surprisingly (given that it's one of the best-selling records of all time), Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas' only charted in Britain after he died...

Though I'd imagine that if we had a record chart in the 40s (as America did), it would have been a perennial chart returner...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/07 at 1:41 pm

Surprisingly (given that it's one of the best-selling records of all time), Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas' only charted in Britain after he died...

Though I'd imagine that if we had a record chart in the 40s (as America did), it would have been a perennial chart returner...
White Chirstmas charted in 1985 and 1998 for Christmas, there again, it may had still been released but not enough records were sold to make the top 75.

Written By: Paul on 08/20/07 at 1:49 pm

White Chirstmas charted in 1985 and 1998 for Christmas, there again, it may had still been released but not enough records were sold to make the top 75.

At one point during the 40s, Bing had to re-record the song, as the master disc used for pressing the records had worn out!

(There was no such thing as recording onto tape back then, but odlly enough, the pioneer of tape recordings was Bing himself!)

I gather that the version you hear today is this re-recorded version, although there's not a great deal of difference between the two...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/20/07 at 1:54 pm

At one point during the 40s, Bing had to re-record the song, as the master disc used for pressing the records had worn out!

(There was no such thing as recording onto tape back then, but odlly enough, the pioneer of tape recordings was Bing himself!)

I gather that the version you hear today is this re-recorded version, although there's not a great deal of difference between the two...

Sadly, I've heard that song so much over the years that it's now my least favorite Christmas song...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/07 at 1:57 pm

Sadly, I've heard that song so much over the years that it's now my least favorite Christmas song...

Amongst many other Chrsitmas songs

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/20/07 at 2:06 pm

Amongst many other Chrsitmas songs

A few, yes...

But none of them annoy me as much as 'White Christmas'... :P

(Perhaps it's because I've had so many 'tropical' Christmases in my life and longed for a true 'white' Christmas... :-\\)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/07 at 1:11 pm

The pilots of the ill-fated plane crashes that killed Patsy Cline and Jum Reeves, were taught by the same trainer.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/07 at 1:19 pm

Robbie Robertson's only UK Top 40 hit (as a solo artist) was 'Somewhere Down the Crazy River' in 1988.  Though he had many Top 40 hits in Canada, this was surprisingly not one of them :o

Catch the blue train all the way to Kokomo.  You can find me somewhere down the Canadian chart (nowhere near the Top 40)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/07 at 5:15 am

Did you that Village People in the pop video for "YMCA" do not do the arm signs for YMCA the individual letters. They just clap hands and shake their bodies around.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 10:09 am

...that when performing Serge Rachmaninov always drank a glass of Crème de Menthe to make the piano playing of his Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini easier.

Written By: whistledog on 01/20/08 at 12:42 pm

Did you know that popular international artist MIKA has yet to score a US Top 40 hit?

He's had 5 Top 40 hits in the UK.  He's had 3 Top 40s in Canada, possibly a 4th as 'Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)' is still rising

Written By: Paul on 01/20/08 at 12:46 pm

Did you that Village People in the pop video for "YMCA" do not do the arm signs for YMCA the individual letters.

I think the arm movements came a lot later...a bit like the 'row boat' malarkey with the Gap Band's 'Oops Upside Your Head'!

Speaking of arm signs, the Beatles are not spelling the word 'Help' (in semaphore) on their LP of the same name...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 12:49 pm

Speaking of arm signs, the Beatles are not spelling the word 'Help' (in semaphore) on their LP of the same name...

What are the Beatles spelling then?

Written By: Paul on 01/20/08 at 1:02 pm

What are the Beatles spelling then?

I gather it's something like 'NUJW'...the photographer didn't like the way 'HELP' was formed by their arms, so he came up with this...

Anyway, that's one theory...there are those who think that the photo is reversed, so it could spell something else!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 1:11 pm

I gather it's something like 'NUJW'...the photographer didn't like the way 'HELP' was formed by their arms, so he came up with this...

Anyway, that's one theory...there are those who think that the photo is reversed, so it could spell something else!

Dare I ask?

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/08 at 3:22 am

Remember Melanie Safka, famed singer of 70s hits like Brand New Key  and Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)?  Did you know that two of her daughters, Leilah and Jeordie are musicians?  At the tender age of 8 (Leilah) and 6 (Jeordie), they (as a duo) reached #27 on the Canadian charts in January of 1982 with a cover version of There's No One Quite Like Grandma

This was (i believe) the youngest act to hit the Canadian Top 40 since the Keane Brothers (age 11 and 12; the sons of Richie Valens producer Bob Keane) in 1976 with the song Sherry

Written By: Paul on 02/05/08 at 8:12 am

Remember Melanie Safka, famed singer of 70s hits like Brand New Key  and Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)?  Did you know that two of her daughters, Leilah and Jeordie are musicians?  At the tender age of 8 (Leilah) and 6 (Jeordie), they (as a duo) reached #27 on the Canadian charts in January of 1982 with a cover version of There's No One Quite Like Grandma

Good grief!

Things were so bad that they had to cover that?  8-P

This was (i believe) the youngest act to hit the Canadian Top 40 since the Keane Brothers (age 11 and 12; the sons of Richie Valens producer Bob Keane) in 1976 with the song Sherry

The youngest chart British Top 40 act was three-year old Ian Doody, performing under the name of Microbe, who babytalked his way into the chart in 1969 with 'Groovy Baby'... :P

And Little Jimmy of Osmond still retains the title of youngest British chart topper with 'Long Haired Lover...' - he was all of 9 years old!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/08 at 8:20 am

Things were so bad that they had to cover that?  8-P

The youngest chart British Top 40 act was three-year old Ian Doody, performing under the name of Microbe, who babytalked his way into the chart in 1969 with 'Groovy Baby'... :P

And Little Jimmy of Osmond still retains the title of youngest British chart topper with 'Long Haired Lover...' - he was all of 9 years old!
How old were the children of the St Winifred's School Choir when they hit the number one spot?

Written By: Paul on 02/05/08 at 3:22 pm

How old were the children of the St Winifred's School Choir when they hit the number one spot?

Extensive research tells me that they were anywhere between the ages of 8 and 10 (however many of them there were!)

But as they were classified as a 'group', they can't really be considered for the youngest chart topper title, even if the lead singer was younger than Little Jim by a year!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/08 at 3:28 pm

Extensive research tells me that they were anywhere between the ages of 8 and 10 (however many of them there were!)

But as they were classified as a 'group', they can't really be considered for the youngest chart topper title, even if the lead singer was younger than Little Jim by a year!
Also, did you know that the St Winifred's School Choir hold an unique position in the UK Charts?

The St Winifred's School Choir feature on two One Hit Wonders that reached number #1, their own Grandma record and Brian And Michael's Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk by Cats And Dogs

Written By: Paul on 02/05/08 at 6:27 pm

Also, did you know that the St Winifred's School Choir hold an unique position in the UK Charts?

The St Winifred's School Choir feature on two One Hit Wonders that reached number #1, their own Grandma record and Brian And Michael's Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk by Cats And Dogs

Yes...that's them again (albeit with ever-so slightly different members I'd assume!)

Going back to 'Grandma' (which was originally intended to have been released to coincide with HM Queen Mother's 80th birthday that year), did you know that Prog-Rock God and curry fancier Rick Wakeman provides the keyboards on this?  :o

(I didn't either, but it comes from a very reliable source...)

I should hope he keeps very quiet about it!

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/08 at 11:09 pm

You know what's even worse about it?  The song itself in any shape or form was not a hit in the USA.  Canada, the UK and other parts of the world got all the torture :\'(

It's not a bad song, but it's not a good song either.  Makes you wonder if the Mini Pops ever did a version :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/08 at 4:21 am

Yes...that's them again (albeit with ever-so slightly different members I'd assume!)

Going back to 'Grandma' (which was originally intended to have been released to coincide with HM Queen Mother's 80th birthday that year), did you know that Prog-Rock God and curry fancier Rick Wakeman provides the keyboards on this?  :o

(I didn't either, but it comes from a very reliable source...)

I should hope he keeps very quiet about it!
I have heard Rick Wakeman talking openly about his contribution for Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/08 at 4:23 am

...makes you wonder if the Mini Pops ever did a version :D

MINI POPS
Released 1982
by K-tel Records

Written By: Paul on 02/06/08 at 7:52 am

I have heard Rick Wakeman talking openly about his contribution for Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens.

He played on quite a few records as a jobbing keyboardist before his big time both solo and with Yes (he can also be heard on T.Rex's 'Get It On', or 'Bang A Gong' if you must!  ::))

But there's probably quite a few of his efforts not worth talking openly about!

MINI POPS
Released 1982
by K-tel Records

Hm...they never covered any Gary Glitter songs, I notice!

Did they know something we didn't?

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/08 at 2:44 am

Here's one I think I mentioned before, but I am not sure ...

Did you know the popular songs 'Dancing With Myself' and 'Rebel Yell' by Billy Idol were not Top 40 hits in the USA?  The former didn't even reach the US Hot 100 and the latter just fell outside of the Top 40.  Both songs were Top 40 hits in Canada

Written By: star80 on 02/09/08 at 1:19 pm

Did you know that before becoming a popular Country Music singer, Vince Gill was the lead singer for the band Pure Prairie League.  He joined the group in 1979, and sang on a bunch of songs that charted on Billboard in the 80s including the 1980 smash "Let Me Love You Tonight" which was the group's biggest hit ever
This is an interesting thread by the way, but I never knew that the song "Let Me Love You Tonight" was Pure Prairie League's biggest hit.  I always thought it was their 1975 tune "Amie" which has received way more "Airplay"; Oh well you learn something new everyday.

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/08 at 4:16 am

Did you know that the 1972 favourite Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pigeon was the only ever UK #1 single to feature a mother and son?  Hilda Woodward, the piano teaching mother of the group's pianist Robert Woodward appears on the song

The only ever father-daughter act to reach UK #1 was in 1967 with Somethin' Stupid  by Frank and Nancy Sinatra

Mouldy Old Dough was also the 2nd biggest selling single in the UK for 1972.  Amazing Grace by Royal Dragoons was #1 for that year

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/08 at 4:21 am

Did you know that the 1972 favourite Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pigeon was the only ever UK #1 single to feature a mother and son?  Hilda Woodward, the piano teaching mother of the group's pianist Robert Woodward appears on the song

The only ever father-daughter act to reach UK #1 was in 1967 with Somethin' Stupid  by Frank and Nancy Sinatra

Mouldy Old Dough was also the 2nd biggest selling single in the UK for 1972.  Amazing Grace by Royal Dragoons was #1 for that year

The only family to consist of mum, dad, son and daughters to top the charts is The Simpsons with "Do The Bartman" in Jan 1991! Now we're in a quandary; do cartoon characters count? D'oh!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/08 at 3:04 pm

...that the film music composer Hans Zimmer began his musical career playing keyboards and synthesizers with, among others, the bands Helden (with Warren Cann from Ultravox) and The Buggles ("Video Killed the Radio Star").

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/08 at 11:12 pm

Did you know that Billy Joel's 1983 album 'An Innocent Man' was still popular when his forthcoming 1985 compilation 'Greatest Hits Volume 1 and II' was being compiled?  This is why the singles 'An Innocent Man' and 'Keeping the Faith' appear on his 1997 release 'Greatest Hits Volume III'

Written By: woops on 03/30/08 at 8:20 pm

I know I'll get immature/rude comments  and  comments from wannabe music critics... ::) :P

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/36.jpg

In June 25, 1988, Deborah Gibson became the youngest artist to write, produce, and record a #1 hit at age 17 (wrote the song at 14) with "Foolish Beat".

Even as a teenager, Deb never lliked to be called "Debbie", which Atlantic Records actually wanted her to be called 'Debbie', but always have preferred to be called by her full name Deborah. Notice in liner notes it states, "Written/Produced by Deborah Gibson'.

9 Top 40 Hits between 1987 and 1990. Five in the top 10 and two  #1's ("Foolish Beat" & "Lost In Your Eyes")

Wrote "Only In My Dreams" at 13.

First song she wrote was "Make Sure You Know Your Classroom" at age 5. Also started writing songs at that age.

At age 10 she was part of a chior that performed at the Metropolitan Opera House with such artists like Placido Domingo.

She was an extra on the 1984 Blockbuster "Ghostbusters" and also appeared in commercials for Commodore computers, Wendy's, and Mandee's department store.

Started recording music at 12/13.

Was taught to play the piano by Mortin Estrin, who also taught Billy Joel.

Though many music snobs say that her third album "Anything Is Possible" flopped, it actually went gold and the title track's a moderate, though unfortunately forgotten, hit.

Her "No More Rhyme" music video features a cameo of Danica McKellar from "The Wonder Years"

Her "Out Of The Blue" music video features a cameo of Jeff Russo who later became one of the members of '90's alternative band Tonic.

Became a successful stage actress who appeared in musicals like "Les Miserables", "Grease", "Beauty & The Beast", and "Cabaret".

Appeared in a 1995 episode of "Step by Step" as fictional singer Christi Rose. The song "Don'tcha Want Me Now" is actually one of Deb's songs that appeared in her 1995 album "Think With Your Heart".

In 1989/1990, Deb was to star in her own movie titled "Skirts", but got scrapped and later became a musical she wrote... especially that she originally wrote songs for the movie. Ironically, "Skirts" was to be directed by Kenny Ortega... who choreographed the '80's classic "Dirty Dancing" and directed the horrible "High School Musical" movies.

Posed for Playboy  because she felt more comfortable with her body and that she have worn sexy costumes in theatre roles in "Gypsy", "Chicago", and "Cabaret". Also she have worn midriffs/low cut outfits in the past decade. BTW, the pictures were well done and there's more raunchy images in other magazines, movies, and tv...which she have stated herself.

Her favorite artists: Micheal Buble, Matchbox 20, Alicia Keys, Chris Botti, Marc Anthony,  and also a fan of country music. Not to mention musical theatre, which she always been fond of. She respects Mandy Moore and Anvril Lavinge.

In interviews, she admits that she's a fan of "American Idol".

As a teen, she worshipped George Michael and actually liked '80's hard rock bands like Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, and Poison.

She lists Billy Joel & Elton John as her musical influences.

In 1988, she actually performed with Billy Joel & Elton John at Madison Square Garden which they performed "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/08 at 10:55 pm

Did you know that between 1998-1990, Phil Collins had 6 back to back #1 hits in Canada?  And from 1984-1990, he had 11 #1 hits in Canada, the most of any British solo artist in the 80s ...

1984 - Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
1985 - Easy Lover <w/ Philip Bailey>
1985 - One More Night
1985 - Sussudio
1985 - Separate Lives <w/ Marilyn Martin>
1988 - Groovy Kind of Love
1989 - Two Hearts
1989 - Another Day in Paradise
1990 - I Wish it Would Rain Down
1990 - Do You Remember?
1990 - Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

Written By: midnite on 04/06/08 at 11:16 pm

All those #1's.  Thats impressive for a balding guy with a not-so-great voice.  Don't get me wrong. I love Phil Collins. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/08 at 11:59 pm

All those #1's.  Thats impressive for a balding guy with a not-so-great voice.   Don't get me wrong. I love Phil Collins. 

It was quite a feat for a guy like him to chart so many #1 singles

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/08 at 4:04 am

Did you know that Elkie Brooks sung uncredited on (Remember The Days Of The) Old Schoolyard by Cat Stevens in 1977. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/08 at 2:09 pm

Did you know that Elkie Brooks sung uncredited on (Remember The Days Of The) Old Schoolyard by Cat Stevens in 1977. 

I actually did know that, but only because I read it on some website a while back lol

Did you know that Elkie Brooks was not popular in North America?

Written By: Paul on 04/17/08 at 2:53 pm

For a while, she wasn't even popular in her homeland!

She made her debut record in 1964, a full 13 years before her first chart appearance...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 6:09 am

For a while, she wasn't even popular in her homeland!

She made her debut record in 1964, a full 13 years before her first chart appearance...
...and where is she today?

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/08 at 12:50 pm

'On the Wings of A Nightingale', the 1984 comeback song by the Everly Brothers was written by Paul McCartney

The song reached US #50 and UK #41.  It also reached #49 on the US Country chart and #39 on the Canadian Country chart.  It was the duo's first hit single since 'Its My Time' in 1968

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 5:24 pm

Georges Bizet did not live to see its success of his opera Carmen, as he died from a heart attack at the age of 36, on his third wedding anniversary, only a few months after Carmen's first performances. He was buried in the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris.

Written By: analogue on 08/05/08 at 6:58 am

Despite composing countless bucketloads of amazingly successful songs (including several 'classical' pieces), Paul McCartney cannot read a note of music!

Many bands/artists can't read and write a note of sheet music

Here's a list of some of the bands/artists who can't read music

The Beatles
Bee Gees
Michael Jackson
BB King
Jimi Hendrix
Elton John
Chris Martin from Coldplay
Lionel Richie
Mariyah Carey
Shakira
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
Chaka Khan
Tori Amos
Phil Collins
Marvin Gaye
Prince

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 11:53 am

Many bands/artists can't read and write a note of sheet music

Here's a list of some of the bands/artists who can't read music

The Beatles
Bee Gees
Michael Jackson
BB King
Jimi Hendrix
Elton John
Chris Martin from Coldplay
Lionel Richie
Mariyah Carey
Shakira
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
Chaka Khan
Tori Amos
Phil Collins
Marvin Gaye
Prince

I know that the Beatles were in that position, probably Elvis Presley was too?

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/07/08 at 10:28 am

That David Bowie appears in the 1983 comedy Yellowbeard as a sailor wearing a fin to scare Madeline Kahn?
That in Invasion of the body snatchers (1978) version has Jerry Garcias head on a dog?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 10:40 am

That David Bowie appears in the 1983 comedy Yellowbeard as a sailor wearing a fin to scare Madeline Kahn?
That in Invasion of the body snatchers (1978) version has Jerry Garcias head on a dog?
...and he is a actor in his own right, appearing in films The Cat People, Labyrinth, The Man Who Fell to Earth and numerous others, also appearng on Broadway as the Elephant Man (Maxwell Caulfield was his understudy in that production).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/08 at 2:02 pm

Did you know that the T. Rex front man Marc Bolan, changed his name from Mark Field and took his stage name from the inspiration from of his musical icons Bob Dylan, taking the extreme letters Bo & lan.

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/08 at 11:14 am

Did you know that the legendary Frank Mills played Piano on the 1971 hit 'Stay Awhile' by The Bells?  From 1970-1972, he was actually a member of said group before his departure to go solo. 

I never chronicled Mills or the Bells.  Perhaps I will do a thread.  They had some beautiful songs

Written By: Paul on 11/03/08 at 3:16 pm

Unbelieveably, it took nearly a quarter of a century for the British LP chart to be topped by a solo British female!

(Kate Bush with 'Never For Ever' in 1980...)

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/08 at 10:05 pm

^ Now that is very interesting

Here's a trivia bit I never knew ...

While Ian Curtis was still alive, Joy Division had NO hit singles in their native UK.  'Love Wil Tear Us Apart' entered the UK chart on May 28, 1980, exactly 10 days after Curtis' suicide

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/08 at 5:01 am

Legal action was taken in 1965, when the song Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was the subject of an unsuccessful lawsuit by songwriters Gloria Parker and Barney Young against Wonderland Music, who published the version of the song from the Walt Disney film. The plaintiffs alleged that it was a copyright infringement of a 1951 song of their own called Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus. Also known as The Super Song, Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus was recorded by Alan Holmes and his New Tones on Columbia Records, Vocal by Hal Marquess and the Holmes Men, music and lyrics by Patricia Smith a Gloria Parker pen name. In addition, Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus was recorded on Gloro Records by The Arabian Knights. The Disney publishers won the lawsuit partially because affidavits were produced showing that "variants of the word were known (...) many years prior to 1949."

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/08 at 9:19 am

Did you know that Enya's father (did not catch his name) used to be a saxophonist and singer in the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/08 at 1:49 am

Blondie, an American rock band, were far more popular in the UK than they were in the US ...

Did you know that their 1980 hit 'Rapture' was their only single that performed better in the States than it did in the UK?  Not including remixes, Blondie had 17 UK Top 40 hits.  In America, they only had 8 Top 40 hits

Written By: holicman on 11/29/08 at 5:53 am

Keith Richards Ironically was a Tennis ball boy as a kid,Rod Stewart once was  a grave digger and Jon Bon Jovi used to flip burgers at Burger King !

Here is another one that I actually wanted to make sure nobody had mentiioned as I read through 29 pages to authenticate.

Sir Cliff Richard is the only musician to have 5 hits in five consecutive decades.

Livin Doll in 58
Summer Holiday in 1962
Devil Woman in 1976
Slow Rivers or Wired for sound (80's)
The Millenium prayer - 1999.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/08 at 1:01 pm

Sir Cliff Richard is the only musician to have 5 hits in five consecutive decades.

Livin Doll in 58
Summer Holiday in 1962
Devil Woman in 1976
Make that six decades, he had a hit in September 2008 with Thank You For A Lifetime.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/08 at 1:07 pm

Livin Doll in 58
Summer Holiday in 1962
Devil Woman in 1976
with the combination with The Shadows and various solo hits, Hank Marvin has had hit records in the same mentioned above five decade as Cliff Richard

Written By: karen on 12/05/08 at 3:41 pm

Livin Doll in 58

My mum's body was committed at the crematorium whilst this played.  It was always my parents 'song'

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 8:45 am

Did you know that Enya's father (did not catch his name) used to be a saxophonist and singer in the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

In a similar vein, Elvis Costello's dad used to vocalise with the Joe Loss Orchestra...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/08 at 3:12 pm

Did you know that Reg Dwight before he became Elton John played the piano on He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother by The Hollies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/08 at 8:19 pm

Foreigner had a studio synth player called "Tom Dolby."  That was before a little song called "She Blinded Me with Science." 

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/08 at 8:45 pm

Did you know that Reg Dwight before he became Elton John played the piano on He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother by The Hollies.

I didn't know that.  Cool fact!

Did you also know he also plays piano on the 1986 Wham! hit 'The Edge of Heaven'?

In 1979, 'Victim of Love' became Elton's first chart single to fail to reach the Canadian Top 40.  This didn't emulate for the US as 'Border Song', his first chart single in 1970, only reached US #92, 'Tiny Dancer' reached US #41 in 1972 and 'Song For Guy' bubbled under the US Hot 100 at #10 in 1978

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/08 at 9:10 am

Did you know that the song "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen is not a religious song as it is made out to be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/09 at 5:12 pm

Did you know that in Let It Be by The Beatles, at 2:58 into the song an "undeleted expletive" can be heard. As Paul/John sing "Remember to let her under your skin", John shouts "Got the wrong CHORD" and  "F**king Hell"'

Radio stations still play this at daylight hours as if it has not been noticed.

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/09 at 9:23 pm

^ Now I am going to have to give that song a listen.  That is cool

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/09 at 5:03 am

^ Now I am going to have to give that song a listen.  That is cool
It can be heard before 3:05 here on YouTube

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/09 at 12:42 am

It can be heard before 3:05 here on YouTube

You can faintly hear it yes.  Though if I had not of known ahead of time what was said, I might not have been able to make it out.  Perhaps with that clip, the crappiness of the sound

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/09 at 2:54 am

You can faintly hear it yes.  Though if I had not of known ahead of time what was said, I might not have been able to make it out.  Perhaps with that clip, the crappiness of the sound
Listen to the real mccoy on the radio or from the album.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/09 at 2:51 am

On the Beatles recording for The Ballad of John and Yoko only Paul and John played on the track, with John Lennon on lead vocals, lead guitars, acoustic guitar, percussion and Paul McCartney on drums, bass guitar, maracas, piano, backing vocals. Which lead John Lennon to say "Paul McCartney the best drummer in the Beatles".

On the whereabouts of George and Ringo I am still trying to work out.

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/09 at 9:46 am

Martin Briley, famous for his 1983 US Top 40 hit The Salt in My Tears, played guitar on Julian Lennon's 1984 hit Too Late For Goodbyes and also appears in the video.

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/09 at 11:13 am

Bill Amesbury was a Canadian singer and songwriter who was best known for his hit 'Virginia (Touch Me Like You Do)' which was the first ever single released on the Casablanca Records label.  Despite becoming a minor hit in the States (#59), it was a Top 40 hit in Canada (#14) and the Netherlands (#27) and remains his only charting single outside of Canada.

Sometime during his career, Bill came out as a transsexual and legally changed his name to Barbra when he had a sex change operation to become a woman.  In 1999, 'Virginia' received a SOCAN (Songwriters of Canada) award for 100,000 spins on Canadian radio.  The award was presented to Barbra

Written By: Frank on 08/14/09 at 4:04 pm

Bill Amesbury was a Canadian singer and songwriter who was best known for his hit 'Virginia (Touch Me Like You Do)' which was the first ever single released on the Casablanca Records label.  Despite becoming a minor hit in the States (#59), it was a Top 40 hit in Canada (#14) and the Netherlands (#27) and remains his only charting single outside of Canada.

Sometime during his career, Bill came out as a transsexual and legally changed his name to Barbra when he had a sex change operation to become a woman.  In 1999, 'Virginia' received a SOCAN (Songwriters of Canada) award for 100,000 spins on Canadian radio.  The award was presented to Barbra

I know the song "Virginia  (Touch Me Like You Do)"..probably had it at one point on a K-TEL album.
Didn't know Bill became Barbra tho.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/09 at 8:04 pm

Didn't know Bill became Barbra tho.

Would make a good Schoolhouse Rock parody:  "When A Bill becomes a Barbra"  :D

Written By: Frank on 08/18/09 at 12:16 am

Would make a good Schoolhouse Rock parody:  "When A Bill becomes a Barbra"  :D

Lots of interjections there.

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/09 at 10:06 pm

Ron Tabak, lead singer for the Canadian band Prism, was born September 25, 1953.  He died on Christmas Day, 1984.  Born on the 25th, died on the 25th

Singers who also died on the 25th ...

Michael Jackson (June 25, 2009)
James Brown (December 25, 2006)
Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes (April 25, 2002)
Aaliyah (August 25, 2001)
Roger (April 25, 1999)

Roger (born: Roger Troutman) was the vocalist for 80s Funk band Zapp.  On his own, his 1987 single I Want to Be Your Man was a Top 40 hit across North America (as well as a minor hit in the UK).  He also provided the talk box vocals on Scritti Politti's minor (US and UK) 1988 hit Boom (There She Was)

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/09 at 10:54 pm

Beeb Birtles, Glenn Shorrock and Graeham Goble were founding members of Little River Band.  Due to line up changes over the years, they lost the rights to the Little River Band name and currently record under the name 'Birtles, Shorrock, Goble'

Stephen Housden, who joined LRB in 1981 (after 'Time Exposure' had already been completed), was handed down the rights to the LRB name (after all the original members had quit), and filed legal action against the aforementioned trio (and won) when they attempted to comeback as 'The Original Little River Band'.  He also took further legal action to prevent them from making reference to LRB on their releases and shows, but lost (thankfully).  

Wayne Nelson, who joined LRB in 1980 (and sang lead on 'The Night Owls') is currently the only member still existing from their 80s days, but that alone is not enough as the rest of the current LRB line-up is comprised of American musicians, Nelson included.

If you ever want to see Little River Band perform live, go and see 'Birtles Shorrock Goble'.  If you want to see a cover band singing LRB songs, then go see 'Little River Band'

It's any wonder why BSG didn't counter sue and say "We wrote those songs, so you aren't allowed to sing them"

Written By: Henk on 08/28/09 at 11:32 pm

Roger (born: Roger Troutman) was the vocalist for 80s Funk band Zapp.  On his own, his 1987 single I Want to Be Your Man was a Top 40 hit across North America (as well as a minor hit in the UK).  He also provided the talk box vocals on Scritti Politti's minor (US and UK) 1988 hit Boom (There She Was)

"I Want To Be Your Man" reached #8 in Holland.

Roger's distinct vocals can also be heard on "California Love", an international hit for Dr. Dre & 2Pac.
Roger Troutman was shot by his brother Larry, who committed suicide afterwards. "It Doesn't Really Matter"...? I'm not so sure about that.

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/09 at 11:38 pm

"I Want To Be Your Man" reached #8 in Holland.

Roger's distinct vocals can also be heard on "California Love", an international hit for Dr. Dre & 2Pac.
Roger Troutman was shot by his brother Larry, who committed suicide afterwards. "It Doesn't Really Matter"...? I'm not so sure about that.

I forgot about 'California Love'.  Kind of co-incidental as 2Pac passed away at the age of 25.  Musically speaking, the number 25 seems to be not too good :o

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/09 at 12:13 am

The first American Top 40 appearance for Bryan Adams was not as a singer, but as a songwriter.  With his then producer/songwriting partner Jim Vallance, they wrote the 1981 song 'Don't Let Him Know' for fellow Canadian group Prism, and in 1982 it reached US #39 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0MpUAgDME

Jim Vallance was an original member of Prism (but left after their first album) and 'Don't Let Him Know' was their only US Top 40 hit.

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/11 at 9:59 pm

Did you know that the Los Lobos versions of Ritchie Valens' songs from the La Bamba film were more successful than that of the Valens originals?

In 1958, Valens' first single Come On, Let's Go only made it to #42 in the US.  His 3rd release 'La Bamba' made it to #22.

In 1987, Los Lobos hit #21 with Come On, Let's Go and #1 with La Bamba

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/11 at 9:27 am

In 1984, April Wine released their 11th album Animal Grace.  
Did you know this was the first April Wine album that failed to have a single reach the mainstream Canadian chart?

However, the single This Could Be the Right One did reach #58 in the US

http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/48/31/000c3148_medium.jpeg

Written By: King Tut on 09/12/11 at 10:40 pm

In 1984, April Wine released their 11th album Animal Grace.  
Did you know this was the first April Wine album that failed to have a single reach the mainstream Canadian chart?

However, the single This Could Be the Right One did reach #58 in the US

http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/48/31/000c3148_medium.jpeg

http://www.currentobservations.us/images/Carson%20I%20did%20not%20know%20that.jpg

One of the biggest Canadian bands ever. I am familiar with the song, so it must have received some radio time back in 1984.

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/11 at 11:58 pm

One of the biggest Canadian bands ever. I am familiar with the song, so it must have received some radio time back in 1984.

It did get lots of radio play.  April Wine was also one of Canada's best kept secrets ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/whistledog/Year.jpg 1971 1972 1972 1972 1973 1973 1974 1974 1974 1975 197519751976197619761977197719781978197919791980 1980 1981 1981 1982 1982 1984 1985 1986 1993 1993 1993 1993

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/whistledog/SongTitle.jpg Fast Train You Could Have Been A Lady Bad Side of the Moon Drop Your Guns Lady Run, Lady Hide Weeping Widow Electric Jewels I'm on Fire For You Baby I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight is A Wonderful Time to Fall in Love Cum Hear the Band Oowatanite The Whole World's Goin' Crazy Gimme Love Like A Lover, Like A Song Forever For Now You Won't Dance With Me Rock and Roll is A Vicious Game Comin' Right Down on Top of Me Roller Get Ready For Love Say Hello I Like to Rock Just Between You and Me Sign of the Gypsy Queen Enough is Enough Tell Me Why This Could Be the Right One Rock Myself to Sleep Love Has Remembered Me If You Believe in Me Here's Looking at You Kid That's Love Voice in My Heart

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/famfamfam/flag/16/ca-icon.png 40 5 16 34 19 40 84 64 17 5 2911533494562746247934 75 6 40 8 46 - - 89 19 80 73 35

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/famfamfam/flag/16/us-icon.png - 32 - - - - - - - - - -- ------34--862157 50 - 58 - - - - - -

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/famfamfam/flag/16/gb-icon.png - - - - - - - - - - ------------ 41 52 - - - - - - - - - -

Written By: King Tut on 09/18/11 at 7:57 pm

Did you know:....

On April 24, 1976, Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Michaels offered the Beatles $3,000 - a deliberately paltry sum -if they would perform on his program together. He joked, "divide up any way you want. If you want to give less to Ringo, that's up to you."

John Lennon discussed the Saturday Night Live episode, as well as his relationship with McCartney, in a September 1980 interview for Playboy:

"Paul and I were together watching that show. He was visiting us at our place in the Dakota. We were watching it and almost went down to the studio, just as a gag. We nearly got into a cab, but we were actually too tired That was a period when Paul just kept turning up at our door with a guitar. I would let him in, but finally I said to him, 'Please call before you come over. It's not 1956 and turning up at the door isn't the same anymore. You know, just give me a ring.' He was upset by that, but I didn't mean it badly. I just meant that I was taking care of a baby all day and some guy turns up at the door. . . . But, anyway, back on that night, he and Linda walked in and he and I were just sitting there, watching the show, and we went, 'Ha-ha, wouldn't it be funny if we went down?' but we didn't."

Paul McCartney also remembered the event for an interview: " said, 'We should go down there. We should go down now and just do it.' It was one of those moments where we said, 'Let's not and say we did.' "

Just imagine if they actually went and performed.
Damn...

Check for new replies or respond here...