» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Re: Gay marriage & civil unions

Written By: womberty on 06/28/04 at 1:30 pm

This seems to have gone off-topic... sorry about that. If you guys would like to start up a new topic just to discuss these religious questions (beyond the question of religion and gay marriage), I'd be up for that.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/28/04 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, it did go off topic.  Sorry for my part in it. :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 6:46 pm

I am of the same mindset, Bobby.  Too much inconsistency.  (And I don't think reading the book all the way through will resolve the issue, either.)

I see, Ladybug. What we do know is God is good and he hates bad. What I want to know is does he hate people from other religions, agnostics (people that don't know or are confused - a little like me) and atheists regardless of whether they have lead a good and moral life? Religions teach that only their religion is the right one.

This is straying well away from the topic I realise, sorry.  :-[  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/28/04 at 6:55 pm

I see, Ladybug. What we do know is God is good and he hates bad. What I want to know is does he hate people from other religions, agnostics (people that don't know or are confused - a little like me) and atheists regardless of whether they have lead a good and moral life? Religions teach that only their religion is the right one.

This is straying well away from the topic I realise, sorry.  :-[  :)

This is how I look at it.  We are all God's children, whether we believe or not.  God loves all his children (whether or not His children believe in him) He just doesn't like all the evil done by them.

Written By: womberty on 06/28/04 at 7:01 pm

I've started up a couple new topics specifically for religious questions. Hopefully we can return this topic to its regularly scheduled argument on gay marriage. :P

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 7:04 pm

I've started up a couple new topics specifically for religious questions. Hopefully we can return this topic to its regularly scheduled argument on gay marriage. :P

Nice one. Thanks Womberty. You guys and gals can get back on track with the topic now.  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 06/28/04 at 8:59 pm

Let me point out that by denying gays the right to form perminant unions, we actually encourage promiscuity.

Which once again, is why I promote "Civil Union".

There is a segment of the population that will NEVER approve of "Marriage".  It is that simple.  But I *DO* believe in their right to enter into a legal permanent union.

I think that it is a good compromise.  It gives them all the rights and protection they want, and also removes a word that some find objectionable.  Myself, it does not really matter what you call it.  But if it helps something pass, I am 100% behind it.

It is amazing how many people argue with me, when I want the exact same thing.  My best friend's gf recently changed her last name to that of my friend.  I consider them "married".  I call each of them the other's wife.

But this is Alabama.  Marriage does not have a chance in hell of passing here.  If by giving it another word, if it helps them get legal recognition for their unofficial status, let it happen.  You can always work latter on getting the word changed if it is that important.  But let's get at least that step done first.

After all, even in the Civil Right's movement, they did not go from Jim Crowe to full legal rights in one step.  It was a long road of one step after another.  One thing that bothers me about the current "movements" is that they want everything all at once.

Written By: Apricot on 05/04/05 at 7:26 pm

Anti-Sodomy Laws? ???

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/05/05 at 12:36 pm

Well I'm in the distinct minority in that I don't agree with (legal) marriage for anyone.  I think people should just live their lives with whomever they choose.  No legal benefits, no legal penalties.  Simple.  Let's just all be gay in that sense.

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/05 at 3:06 pm

I think the whole benefits thing isn't that great either, to be honest. But people want that whole "union under God" so they can have sex without feeling guilty. Or to show commitment to one partner, or something like that.

Give them private religious benefits, but not financial government benefits just for managing to get hitched.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/05 at 3:14 pm

I think the whole benefits thing isn't that great either, to be honest. But people want that whole "union under God" so they can have sex without feeling guilty. Or to show commitment to one partner, or something like that.

Give them private religious benefits, but not financial government benefits just for managing to get hitched.
I don't know one homosexual who wants to be married so they can have sex without feeling guilty, but thanks for the laugh!! ;D

Also, what private religious benefits would there be for homosexuals?  There aren't too many churches who are accepting of their lifestyle.

Finally, hetero married people DO get financial benefits when filing taxes just for "getting hitched"

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/05 at 3:16 pm

I meant heterosexuals.

Check for new replies or respond here...