» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Re: Do You believe in God?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/02/05 at 2:41 am

jessica, your avatar owns!

Written By: Jessica on 04/02/05 at 2:42 am

jessica, your avatar owns!

Gracias, good sir. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/05 at 6:42 pm

This constant fighting between Thehated and Crazymom grows really tiersome.  If I'm not mistaken, both of you profess to believe in God.  No problem, I believe in the Tooth Fairy.  You differ over the issue of abortion, and have clogged these threads with personal exchanges, nasty invictives, insults, and recriminations.  It is really getting old, not only because neither of you are focusing on the topic, but also because you are both refering to the "you said, no you said" crap.  Please, enough.

Now, once again, to the topic.  I voted no.  The idea of God is very nice, or sometimes is.  There are just too many contradiction in the Christian cannon, or any other (with the  exception of the Wiccan).  Now that one, what I have learned of it, makes sense.  Which isn't to say that I believe in any supernatural being, but at least the teaching are clear, what I consider to be maral (yes athiests/agnostics have morals - we just don't need God's retribution to follow them) and simple.  So what you will, harm none.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/02/05 at 7:13 pm

This constant fighting between Thehated and Crazymom grows really tiersome.  If I'm not mistaken, both of you profess to believe in God.  No problem, I believe in the Tooth Fairy.  You differ over the issue of abortion, and have clogged these threads with personal exchanges, nasty invictives, insults, and recriminations.  It is really getting old, not only because neither of you are focusing on the topic, but also because you are both refering to the "you said, no you said" crap.  Please, enough.

Now, once again, to the topic.  I voted no.  The idea of God is very nice, or sometimes is.  There are just too many contradiction in the Christian cannon, or any other (with the  exception of the Wiccan).  Now that one, what I have learned of it, makes sense.  Which isn't to say that I believe in any supernatural being, but at least the teaching are clear, what I consider to be maral (yes athiests/agnostics have morals - we just don't need God's retribution to follow them) and simple.  So what you will, harm none.

My apology....I hope you except.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/02/05 at 7:16 pm

Subject: Re: A Pro Baby Murdering movie - Vera Drake
Written By: McDonald on 12/05/04 at 7:13:14

Let me say first that I don't think you are sick, I just think you are a hypocrite and you make ME sick.

Oh you "know" so much about God, eh? Let me be the first to clue you in on something... you don't know shhh! You know nothing more than the rest of us do about the afterlife or even the existence thereof... Saying you know something doesn't make it true. You can believe whatever you want, it makes no difference to me. It doesn't automatically mean that others believe the same way or work from the same (dare I say) logic as you, and it doesn't mean that you're right. I'm going to tell you straight up that I do not think abortion is wrong. It isn't very desirable, but neither is sheeshe and you don't see many people praying for forgiveness in the lavatories now do you? I don't think a fetus is the same thing as a person, so I don't consider abortion to be murder anymore than I consider hunting to be murder.

Do you really think that Hitler versus Girl Who Got an Abortion a proper comparison? I don't think so. I think your arguments are clinging for dear life.

You are seriously out of touch if you think that people are upset with you because you aren't "blind to Satan's antics." Get real, will ya? People are upset with you for the awful things you've said, and frankly people are pretty disgusted and fed up with your self-righteous attitude and verbal hypocrisy. You can't claim to be a compassionate Christian and then turn around and wish for some girl you've never met (a friend of a fellow board member) to go to hell! Are you mad?

Now you may think me a morally reprehensible person for all this, but I just could not care less. You've shown me in your posts your brand of morality, and it's quite disturbing and I want NO part of it! You seem to be unable to look at anything from a perspective other than your own. Looking at things in such a way does not require you to change your beliefs at all, just to try and understand the way others think and why. I think you have a lot to learn about the wide world, and granted so do I, but you really need to get kicking.

Didn't see that, that was written by McDonald

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 1:52 pm

no sh*t sherlock, she wrote who originally posted it on top.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 2:05 pm

Don't you think you should appoligize to crazymom, this post proves that she wasn't the one to call you a hypocrite.

Or are you man enough to admit when you are WRONG

Written By: Harmonica on 04/03/05 at 2:12 pm

Don't you think you should appoligize to crazymom, this post proves that she wasn't the one to call you a hypocrite.

Or are you man enough to admit when you are WRONG

I did admit that I was wrong....that's why I pointed out that I made a mistake and I didn't see that, that was posted by Crazymom as a quote from McDonald.

Crazymom...sorry for that mistake on my part.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 2:15 pm

I did admit that I was wrong....that's why I pointed out that I made a mistake and I didn't see that, that was posted by Crazymom as a quote from McDonald.

Crazymom...sorry for that mistake on my part.

That's what we have been trying to tell you, some of the stuff you are accusing crazymom, myself and others of were not said by us but you insist they were.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/03/05 at 5:52 pm

Good.  A start.  Maybe less acrimony and more debate?  Fankly, I voted no for a number of reasons that I just don't want to get into, but for thoser of you who voted yes, all I can say is "I don't know, when he/she/it reveals him/her/self to me, I will believe.  Until then, I'm from Missouri (not really), show me.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/03/05 at 6:02 pm

Good.  A start.  Maybe less acrimony and more debate?  Fankly, I voted no for a number of reasons that I just don't want to get into, but for thoser of you who voted yes, all I can say is "I don't know, when he/she/it reveals him/her/self to me, I will believe.  Until then, I'm from Missouri (not really), show me.

Seeing and believing....The two Do make things easier.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 6:26 pm

I believe on God, Jesus and angels.

Alot of people told my family that we were seeing things because that's what we wanted to see.
When my dad was dying, an angel came into his room and took him with him/her when he/she left the room. More than one person saw this.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/03/05 at 6:50 pm

Wow, Whitewolf.  That would be an amazing sight to see.  Were you one of the people who saw it happen?

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 6:55 pm

Wow, Whitewolf.  That would be an amazing sight to see.  Were you one of the people who saw it happen?

yeah,  It was amazing, a bright light came into the room and went into my dad's body, when it left a small blue light was following it.

Seeing that though, also made me see my dad take his last breath, I'm glad i was there with him, but I wish I didn't see that.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/03/05 at 7:07 pm

Alot of people told my family that we were seeing things because that's what we wanted to see.
When my dad was dying, an angel came into his room and took him with him/her when he/she left the room. More than one person saw this.

Miraculous things can and have happened. I'm glad you got to experience the power of God. 

I hope you feel as if your dad was being taken to a better place. 

It sucks to have someone die, especially someone as close as a father, but unfortunately it is a part of life.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 7:10 pm

Miraculous things can and have happened. I'm glad you got to experience the power of God. 

I hope you feel as if your dad was being taken to a better place. 

It sucks to have someone die, especially someone as close as a father, but unfortunately it is a part of life.

I know he is a better place, but even after almost ten years it still hurts.

Written By: jaytee on 04/04/05 at 8:35 am

I don't know anymore.

Written By: Apricot on 04/04/05 at 2:49 pm

I'm with Carlos... You hear all this crap about God's love... but I never feel it. If I can be shown- Hell, I don't even need some big definite physical appearance, just some indicator of God's love... then I'll believe. Until then, I have just lost my faith.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/04/05 at 3:06 pm

I respect your belief, and I'm sorry you lost your dad.  My mom died several yoears ago.  I got there in time for the funeral, but not to be with her at the end, so I know the feeling of emptiness.

yeah, It was amazing, a bright light came into the room and went into my dad's body, when it left a small blue light was following it.

Seeing that though, also made me see my dad take his last breath, I'm glad i was there with him, but I wish I didn't see that.

I don't mean to raise a ruckus with this question, but I rerally have to ask.  I must say, that if I experianced something like this I too would be willing to accept the idea of the supernatural.  My question, I I don't mean to be argumentative, is how you get from that to Jesus.  Maybe it was the Godess.  Just a thoiught.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 3:12 pm

I don't mean to raise a ruckus with this question, but I rerally have to ask.  I must say, that if I experianced something like this I too would be willing to accept the idea of the supernatural.  My question, I I don't mean to be argumentative, is how you get from that to Jesus.  Maybe it was the Godess.  Just a thoiught.

In my personal opinion, Jesus and Angels go hand in hand. you cant have one without the other so to speak.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 3:17 pm

I'm with Carlos... You hear all this crap about God's love... but I never feel it. If I can be shown- Hell, I don't even need some big definite physical appearance, just some indicator of God's love... then I'll believe. Until then, I have just lost my faith.

When looking for God's love what exactly are you looking for?  Love from family, love from friends?  Accomplishments? Success? Painfull experiences and their memories to go away?

Now you may think I"m being a smart a$$ with my question, but I am sincere, I often find myself looking for God's love in certain places, I'm so busy looking in those places, So set minded to find his love in Those places that I fail to see his love in other areas.

I've found that the greatest love I've found from God so far, is the one when I show other people love.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 3:20 pm

I'd have to have definite, tangible proof. Not just feelings.

Why? Because I'm not LOOKING for God to be there. Remember, we as people often read into things stuff that just isn't there if we are already searching for something.

Written By: Apricot on 04/04/05 at 3:25 pm

I'd like to not be in staggering amounts of mental pain half the time.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 5:01 pm

I'd like to not be in staggering amounts of mental pain half the time.

Your not alone.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/04/05 at 5:33 pm

I go against the me me me society. I live my life for God. I speak out against the evils of the world.  I am hated on this message board, unadmittedly of course.  Treated lesser as well.

I'd just like to ask a quick question..

Possibly more than one.

Which Me, Me, Me society is this, the one that has given hundreds of millions of dollars of aid to Tsunami victims, the one that shelled out hundreds of millions of pounds for famine relief. Must have been to satisfy there urges huh.

I would have thought that as a man of god, you could forgive those that have 'wronged' you and treated you as lesser, and let things go. I was going to just hold my peace, but as a vile heathen it's fine for me to speak out.
By perpetuating the conflicts you have had with people in the past, are you not going against some key principals of gods will, Forgiveness, Loving Thy Neighbour, I seem to remember having these drilled in to me at an early age.

Just questions, no Malice intended.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 6:43 pm

I'd just like to ask a quick question..

Possibly more than one.

Which Me, Me, Me society is this, the one that has given hundreds of millions of dollars of aid to Tsunami victims, the one that shelled out hundreds of millions of pounds for famine relief. Must have been to satisfy there urges huh.

I would have thought that as a man of god, you could forgive those that have 'wronged' you and treated you as lesser, and let things go. I was going to just hold my peace, but as a vile heathen it's fine for me to speak out.
By perpetuating the conflicts you have had with people in the past, are you not going against some key principals of gods will, Forgiveness, Loving Thy Neighbour, I seem to remember having these drilled in to me at an early age.

Just questions, no Malice intended.

Well I do my best, which is more than I could do.

The ME ME ME society I speak of is the one that puts "ME" ahead of everything else.  The people who donate aid are one of two things, the good ones, or the ones that already are in good shape as far as ME is concerned, so now they can help out others.

And no Malice intended? Is it ever?

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 7:23 pm

Well I do my best, which is more than I could do.

The ME ME ME society I speak of is the one that puts "ME" ahead of everything else.  The people who donate aid are one of two things, the good ones, or the ones that already are in good shape as far as ME is concerned, so now they can help out others.

And no Malice intended? Is it ever?

ok sure the people who are giving are being nice but on the flip side the people who are taking are doing the me me me thing.
Not saying anything bad about people who need help, but just trying to prove a point.

Written By: Apricot on 04/04/05 at 7:28 pm

Your not alone.

Thanks, man. Some people can keep faith through this, but I guess I'm not one of them. It's like "They say you're gonna make this go away.. why not now?"

I just don't see how the grand master plan has to involve me being miserable all the time.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 7:30 pm

ok sure the people who are giving are being nice but on the flip side the people who are taking are doing the me me me thing.
Not saying anything bad about people who need help, but just trying to prove a point.

You are not doing the me me me thing by taking in a form of need, your doing the ME ME ME thing by taking in a form of want.

Those people need a home, they need food.  People over here in the states WANT to be Rich, they WANT to be number 1.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 7:34 pm

Thanks, man. Some people can keep faith through this, but I guess I'm not one of them. It's like "They say you're gonna make this go away.. why not now?"

I just don't see how the grand master plan has to involve me being miserable all the time.

We all have our doubts and personal fallacies when it comes to our faith.  That includes me. I'm not going to share my personal views with you, becuase I don't feel like being made out to be something negative or discriminated against any longer because I'm not with the crowd in my  beliefs.

However, if you ever need to talk with someone, PM me anytime.  Whether it's to share personal experiences, try and help with suggestions, or if you just need someone to read your thoughts, so you can get them out of your head.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 8:51 pm

We all have our doubts and personal fallacies when it comes to our faith.  That includes me. I'm not going to share my personal views with you, becuase I don't feel like being made out to be something negative or discriminated against any longer because I'm not with the crowd in my  beliefs.

However, if you ever need to talk with someone, PM me anytime.  Whether it's to share personal experiences, try and help with suggestions, or if you just need someone to read your thoughts, so you can get them out of your head.

You were not put down for your pesronal views and beliefs. you were put down for your attitude when people had different opinions than you.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 8:59 pm

You were not put down for your pesronal views and beliefs. you were put down for your attitude when people had different opinions than you.

you used a pretty good device a while back, what was it....oh yeah....B.S.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 9:08 pm

you used a pretty good device a while back, what was it....oh yeah....B.S.

Nice comeback, when you are faced with the truth.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 9:20 pm

Nice comeback, when you are faced with the truth.

Faced with the truth?

The truth of the matter is I believe something....and because I'm alone on this board it's "Wrong" "make believe" or "unvalid".
When it is Not.

Go to a Title IX Support message board and write a praisefull message full of nothing but the good things Title IX has done and how it has never done anything bad.......You'll get lovely reply's. Everyone will agree with you.

Go to a men's swimming, baseball, track and field, or wrestling message board and post the same thing, you'll get a different bread of replys.

It all comes down to a biased work!  Same thing is happening to me here on this message board, on certain topics.

If I'd go to a Title IX support message board and write about how  30 years ago there were 90 Division I Men's Gymnastics teams and because of TITLE IX today there are only 20, I'd be made out to be an a$$hole. They'd eat me up in that place.

But if you went to a message board that supports the 395 wrestling teams that have been dropped since  1972, and write about how Title IX has no flaws, I guarantee you you'll get former Alumni especially Orangemen to disagree with you.

There is an example, THIS IS, happening to me.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 9:27 pm

Faced with the truth?

The truth of the matter is I believe something....and because I'm alone on this board it's "Wrong" "make believe" or "unvalid".
When it is Not.

Go to a Title IX Support message board and write a praisefull message full of nothing but the good things Title IX has done and how it has never done anything bad.......You'll get lovely reply's. Everyone will agree with you.

Go to a men's swimming, baseball, track and field, or wrestling message board and post the same thing, you'll get a different bread of replys.

It all comes down to a biased work!  Same thing is happening to me here on this message board, on certain topics.

If I'd go to a Title IX support message board and write about how  30 years ago there were 90 Division I Men's Gymnastics teams and because of TITLE IX today there are only 20, I'd be made out to be an a$$hole. They'd eat me up in that place.

But if you went to a message board that supports the 395 wrestling teams that have been dropped since  1972, and write about how Title IX has no flaws, I guarantee you you'll get former Alumni especially Orangemen to disagree with you.

There is an example, THIS IS, happening to me.

I see your taking the "I'm all alone and being ganged up on" route.

None of us have ever said your views were wrong, you have said to us that ours are wrong.
Just because we don't approve of something, you told us that by doing nothing about it that we must approve. NOT TRUE we just refuse to tell others how to live their lives.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 9:47 pm

I see your taking the "I'm all alone and being ganged up on" route.

None of us have ever said your views were wrong, you have said to us that ours are wrong.
Just because we don't approve of something, you told us that by doing nothing about it that we must approve. NOT TRUE we just refuse to tell others how to live their lives.

I said where I was wrong, I said I was sorry when and where it needed to be said.  So far, I'm the only one that's full heartedly done that. You already had me down, you already had me down.  You had me where you wanted me, and I stepped down, I stepped down out of a hope of peace. WHY...why why why why...must you kick dirt in my face.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 9:52 pm

ummmm...if I'm not mistaken, whitewolf has stated MANY times that she's a Christian ???

I wasn't talking to her or about her  when I wrote that. I was talking to apricot, and you've attacked me, denied attacking me,  attacked me again, denied attacking me again, so I'm not going to post my views on certain subject areas cause I don't need you telling me how my opinion is all fine and dandy but here's how it really is, in the real world, cause Crazymom knows what Real is all about.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 9:55 pm

Well in anycase, both sides, lets stop it. This ongoing rivalry is souring this section of the forums.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/04/05 at 11:06 pm

For the last time, show me where I attacked you.  I was merely pointing out that since you both profess to be Christian, then you are both in "the same crowd".  Just because you happen to disagree on 1 subject does not make either of your opinions more/less valid than the others.  Maybe you should consider practicing what you preach.

Good advice, maybe you should take it yourself.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/05/05 at 6:41 am

I said where I was wrong, I said I was sorry when and where it needed to be said.  So far, I'm the only one that's full heartedly done that. You already had me down, you already had me down.  You had me where you wanted me, and I stepped down, I stepped down out of a hope of peace. WHY...why why why why...must you kick dirt in my face.

How is saying the truth kicking dirt in your face?

Unless you consider your own words to be dirt, cause thats all I have thrown into your face.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/05/05 at 10:10 am

this is a cyclical argument with no end in sight. no one involved is going to back down because they let their pride get the best of them. how about we ask chuckyg to let this conversation get it's own website. lets involve others who think they can get in the last word.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/05 at 10:52 am

Nice weather we are having, huh?

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 04/05/05 at 10:52 am

Nice weather we are having, huh?

Cat

Beautiful

Written By: whitewolf on 04/06/05 at 9:44 pm

Back to the original topic, yes I believe in God. Why you ask, because I have seen proof of spiritual life.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/07/05 at 7:17 pm

And, as I've stated before, I'm not sure. I'd like to, but then I see horrible things and wonder how God could let them happen. :-\\

God doesn't make horrible things happen, Satan does.  God lets horrible things happen to test us and our faith.

We must stay faithful to God if we hope to live with him in the New Jerusalem and avoid the burning torture of the lake of fire and brimstone.  I like to think that a home in the New Jerusalem is a privilege.  We can only earn a place in this "new Eden" by keeping our faith in God.  Of course, we must also accept Jesus Christ into our hearts as our Savior, but I think that finding faith in God is the first step towards that.

I would suggest that you read the Bible, because it can do a lot better job at helping you find God the truth than I can.  And don't try too much to understand God.  You'll probably be wrong anyways.  Just put your faith with him and things will work out the way he wants them to.

By the way, I voted yes.

Written By: Apricot on 04/07/05 at 8:08 pm

Really? Coulda sworn that'd be a "HELL NO" vote.  ;D

I think that was a good way to put it.. but I'm not still feeling it personally.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/07/05 at 9:30 pm

God doesn't make horrible things happen, Satan does.  God lets horrible things happen to test us and our faith.

We must stay faithful to God if we hope to live with him in the New Jerusalem and avoid the burning torture of the lake of fire and brimstone.  I like to think that a home in the New Jerusalem is a privilege.  We can only earn a place in this "new Eden" by keeping our faith in God.  Of course, we must also accept Jesus Christ into our hearts as our Savior, but I think that finding faith in God is the first step towards that.

I would suggest that you read the Bible, because it can do a lot better job at helping you find God the truth than I can.  And don't try too much to understand God.  You'll probably be wrong anyways.  Just put your faith with him and things will work out the way he wants them to.

By the way, I voted yes.

God works in mysterious ways....I'm really glad you said "Don't try too much to understand God".  We as human beings often find it hard to believe that something or someone could be smarter than us.  However me trying to fully understand God is like trying to get a grasshoper to understand the concepts of calculas.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/07/05 at 10:50 pm

satan doesn't cause bad things to happen. when eve took a bit out of the apple (okay, satan did that) and gained knowledge, causing God to be pissed at the two and kicked them out of eden, then all the bad things started to happen to mankind, why, because we sinned. God tried to lure his children back into the fold even sending his Son down but we continued to sin. sin causes bad things to happen, Gods hands are tied.

the devil had some laughs in the bible but nowadays he just sits on his arse as hell's caretaker, of coarse he's for waiting for his que to give humanity an era of peaceful obediance at the point of the gun.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/08/05 at 12:34 am

I hope that Christians today just see the "Original Sin" story as a metaphor, and not as literal. Because that is one of the aspects of that faith I dislike the most, the original sin story. I think we as people should embrace things that uplift us,, not make us feel shamed. Especially for something you didn't personally do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/05 at 1:04 am

I hope that Christians today just see the "Original Sin" story as a metaphor, and not as literal. Because that is one of the aspects of that faith I dislike the most, the original sin story. I think we as people should embrace things that uplift us,, not make us feel shamed. Especially for something you didn't personally do.

Original sin says none of us are perfect, none of us are without sin, and it's not up to mortal men to judge mortal men.  The judgment is God's job.
Instead of a liberal interpretation of this concept which might lead to, say, Quakerism, there are also the Roman Catholics who built a hierarchical church and mande the clergy the judge of man, allegedy through God.  The Church has exploited the Original Sin concept to control the masses.

Written By: Winter on 04/08/05 at 9:44 pm

He's my whole life.  :)

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/08/05 at 10:17 pm

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but why does everyone say "Read the Bible, you'll understand"? If someone says they aren't sure, it is assumed that they've never read it. It was when I READ the Bible that I began to doubt His existence. Too many contradictions in it for me...

True, I did make that assumption, and I'm sorry about that.  As for the contradictions, they can be explained by the fact that humans wrote the Bible.  Sure, God played a major part in its creation, but fallible humans wrote it.  If the contradiction is in both the Old and New Testaments, I personally take the side of the New Testament, simply because I believe that the way it was created makes it more accurate. (I won't go into that now.)  If the contradiction is in only one Testament, then I try to find the interpretation that will make it the least contradictory.  But you should decide for yourself how to deal with the Bible's contradictions.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/08/05 at 10:47 pm

True, I did make that assumption, and I'm sorry about that.  As for the contradictions, they can be explained by the fact that humans wrote the Bible.  Sure, God played a major part in its creation, but fallible humans wrote it.  If the contradiction is in both the Old and New Testaments, I personally take the side of the New Testament, simply because I believe that the way it was created makes it more accurate. (I won't go into that now.)  If the contradiction is in only one Testament, then I try to find the interpretation that will make it the least contradictory.  But you should decide for yourself how to deal with the Bible's contradictions.

I think it's important to realize that most of the people that wrote the Bible, Were NOT good people.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/09/05 at 12:39 am

No problem.  And, I understand that humans wrote it, but if it's truly to be the "word of God", then why would he have allowed so many contradictions?  If the men who wrote it "were not good people", then why did he choose THEM to write it?  Why would it say in some places that you must be baptized and believe to be saved and in others, that you can be saved by works alone?  And, then there's the whole issue of children going to hell if they haven't been baptized when in 1 John 2:12 it says that the sins of the children are forgiven ???  You don't have to answer these, (noone else does) I just wanted to give you an idea of just a few of the MANY questions I have that noone seems to be able to answer logically.

Sure makes it hard. That's for sure. Easy, no can do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 2:40 am

Sure makes it hard. That's for sure. Easy, no can do.

Do I believe in God?
At this point? "Nod, nod nod!"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 2:42 am

Do I believe in God?
At this point? "Nod, nod nod!"

That's "nod" as a motion of sleep, not a gesture of complicity, mmmmkay!

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/09/05 at 11:09 pm

No problem.  And, I understand that humans wrote it, but if it's truly to be the "word of God", then why would he have allowed so many contradictions?  If the men who wrote it "were not good people", then why did he choose THEM to write it?  Why would it say in some places that you must be baptized and believe to be saved and in others, that you can be saved by works alone?  And, then there's the whole issue of children going to hell if they haven't been baptized when in 1 John 2:12 it says that the sins of the children are forgiven ???  You don't have to answer these, (noone else does) I just wanted to give you an idea of just a few of the MANY questions I have that noone seems to be able to answer logically.

Jumping in when I probably shouldn't.

God did not personally come down, pick 'bad people' to write His word and dictate to them, obviously.  A lot of contradictions are Old Testament/New Testament related, and that is simply because the New Testament is primarily based on Jesus' teachings and how his death on the cross will cleanse us of sin if we repent. 

The Bible wasn't written all at once - it took hundreds of years, and the books are not necessarily compiled chronologically, either.  The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, but to teach us lessons from its books.  Also, depending on the Bible you read, different versions, especially Study Bibles, will help explain what certain stories mean and what significance they hold.  When you look at these guides, it's hard to find too much contradiction, unless you're still going word-for-word.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/10/05 at 12:46 am

what do you mean by taken litteraly?

I think it is meant to be taken litteraly. 

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 12:48 am

what do you mean by taken litteraly?

I think it is meant to be taken litteraly.

Lots of modern Christians hold a Gnostic form of Christianity. The Bible is just a metaphor. Its the lessons that count.

You don't really believe the Earth was created in 6 literal days?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/05 at 1:35 am

Lots of modern Christians hold a Gnostic form of Christianity. The Bible is just a metaphor. Its the lessons that count.

The universe was created in six literal 24-hour days.  Creation itself would have been around 4000 BC.  All the evidence collected from our natural world over the past milenia supports the Creationist theory.
::)

Written By: feral on 04/10/05 at 3:58 am

No, I have never has any religious beliefs and I doubt I ever will, I find other peoples religion interesting, but I have no need to believe in any god or follow any religion. Each to their own, as long as no one try’s to force their beliefs on me then live and let live.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 10:14 am

I do.  God can do anything.  He doesn't have human limitations, we look at things from a human standpoint.  He spoke it and it was...that is the way I look at it.  And I also take the bible literally.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/10/05 at 6:42 pm

I don't hold God to human limitations, so yes I do believe the Earth was created in six days.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/10/05 at 6:49 pm

I do.  God can do anything.  He doesn't have human limitations, we look at things from a human standpoint.  He spoke it and it was...that is the way I look at it.  And I also take the bible literally.

I don't hold God to human limitations, so yes I do believe the Earth was created in six days.

So, i am curious, do you not believe in Evolution then?

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 6:49 pm

I wasn't saying (hypothetically) it is because such a being COULDN'T do it, I am saying because the scientific facts and evidence show thats not how it was done. Has it not ever occured to you "days" in Genesis could be metaphorical? According to Islamic teaching, each of the 6 days are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH longer than what we percieve as a "day". Back when I was a Muslim, a scholar explained it to me in this way: "time is relative, here on Earth a day is 24 hours, but on other planets the days can be much longer, or much shorter, if you assume that God is everywhere, than there is no way of knowing how much a day would be to that type of being".

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 7:46 pm

So, i am curious, do you not believe in Evolution then?

Nope, I don't believe in Evolution.

I wasn't saying (hypothetically) it is because such a being COULDN'T do it, I am saying because the scientific facts and evidence show thats not how it was done. Has it not ever occured to you "days" in Genesis could be metaphorical? According to Islamic teaching, each of the 6 days are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH longer than what we percieve as a "day". Back when I was a Muslim, a scholar explained it to me in this way: "time is relative, here on Earth a day is 24 hours, but on other planets the days can be much longer, or much shorter, if you assume that God is everywhere, than there is no way of knowing how much a day would be to that type of being".

When you take the bible literally then the days are literal not metaphorical.  In Genesis 1:3-31 is the story of God creating earth.  The end of each day is a verse that says  "And there was evening and there was morning the first day", second day, third day, etc.  That tells me each day is a literal day, therefore God created the earth in 6 days and rested the seventh.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/10/05 at 7:48 pm

So the skeletons of pre-humans were planted by God?

I am curious to know...

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 7:50 pm

I don't have an explanation for the skeletons.  I have heard that some were hoaxes, but can't say much on that until I research.  Evolution just doesn't seem true to me.  Can't explain why, but it doesn't. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/10/05 at 7:53 pm

I don't have an explanation for the skeletons.  I have heard that some were hoaxes, but can't say much on that until I research.  Evolution just doesn't seem true to me.  Can't explain why, but it doesn't. 

Which is fair enough, each to there own.

My thing is, we have 'proof' of Evolution, we don't have proof of God creating the earth in 6 days..

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 7:56 pm

It's hard to have proof of Him saying it and it is there, though.  We will just have to agree to disagree on this point. :)

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/10/05 at 8:24 pm

The skeletons do not prove that evolution is the way we came to be.  It is still a theory.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of evolution, but I do believe in Creationism.  I kind of like the theory put out by my awesome science teacher, Mr. Drake, that says that Creationism only applies to God's chosen people.  And this makes sense, because Cain had a wife, and his kids had wives.  Unless Cain had a sister, not mentioned in the Bible, that became his wife, her origins are not explained.

Now, of course, if evolution is true in this sense, then all the "purebred monkey people" were eradicated in Noah's flood, leaving only a few strains of primate in us.

But I am completely against the theory of "total evolution" because there is absolutely no way that we are actually descendants of one monkey, who was a descendant of one cell, that just happened to appear in a bowl of primordial soup.

Written By: Apricot on 04/10/05 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, sometimes I wonder about the Bible... If it was God inspired.,. or biased... sounds like a few people might've been twisting it for their own agendas...

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 9:06 pm

When you take the bible literally then the days are literal not metaphorical.  In Genesis 1:3-31 is the story of God creating earth.  The end of each day is a verse that says  "And there was evening and there was morning the first day", second day, third day, etc.  That tells me each day is a literal day, therefore God created the earth in 6 days and rested the seventh.

Despite the facts that prove the Earth formed over billions of years?

If you take the Bible literally, you are not in a very good position as a woman..

I'm sorry, but I don't respect your opinion. I can't respect arguments that don't involve logical reasoning.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 9:08 pm

I mean that is pretty sad when the Islamic outlook on a theological issue is more advanced and forward-thinking than your's.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 9:13 pm

It doesn't matter to me if you respect my opinion or not.  I know what I believe and that is all that matters to me.  There are lots of people out there who believe as I do and lots that don't.  That is what makes life interesting.  It would be pretty boring if we all believed the same way.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 9:16 pm

It doesn't matter to me if you respect my opinion or not. I know what I believe and that is all that matters to me. There are lots of people out there who believe as I do and lots that don't. That is what makes life interesting. It would be pretty boring if we all believed the same way.

I'm sorry but that really isn't good enough. I find it both insulting to me, and yourself that you hold an opinion which you cannot provide any logical arguments in favor of.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 9:22 pm

Why should it matter to you why I believe as I do.  I find it totally logical that what the bible says is true.  If you don't, then that is your problem.  I am not going to debate this with you because neither would win.  You won't change my mind and I won't change yours. 

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 9:47 pm

What a cop out.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 9:50 pm

It just really bothers me that I put forth a refreshing and thought-provoking take on it, and you just simply dolled out a standard, uniform "ibelievewhatibelieveleavemealone!" response.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/10/05 at 9:54 pm

It just really bothers me that I put forth a refreshing and thought-provoking take on it, and you just simply dolled out a standard, uniform "ibelievewhatibelieveleavemealone!" response.

it happens. i found out that it's not worth it to argue with someones faith. live and let live and all that. my mother is a creationist and i believe in intelligent design by evolution, we had so many arguements in the past i felt that i hurt her, so i let it go.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/10/05 at 10:25 pm

Nope...err, sorry, thats it.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 10:42 pm

I don't find it refreshing or thought provoking.  It is the same stuff I hear from my family who all believe like you do.  It gets old.  Trust me on this one, ok? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/11/05 at 2:46 am

I don't find it refreshing or thought provoking.  It is the same stuff I hear from my family who all believe like you do.  It gets old.  Trust me on this one, ok? 

No, you tell me, how old does it get?

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/11/05 at 7:33 am

Obviously, Dagwood isn't looking for an argument.  If you want to pick a fight with a creationist, be my guest (or rather, be his guest - I'm a more liberal Christian, I have nothing to argue about  :)) but be warned that your badgering could come off the wrong way and result in *gasp* admin involvement. 

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/11/05 at 9:46 am

Actually, it's be her guest.....Dag's a woman ;)

:-[  Right.    :D

Written By: Dagwood on 04/11/05 at 6:37 pm

No, you tell me, how old does it get?

It gets very old.  That's why I try not to argue my faith because I just get annoyed, and although I realize it is from someone new it feels like it is attacks from the same people.  It is a sore spot in my life.

:-
Actually, it's be her guest.....Dag's a woman ;)

That's what my doctor says, anyway. :D

Written By: Dagwood on 04/11/05 at 10:21 pm

I think the fact that you've given birth seals it ;)

I think you are right. :D

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/11/05 at 10:40 pm

Unless...

http://www.thearnoldfans.com/filmography/junior/cover.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 04/12/05 at 7:25 pm

Shhhhh...don't tell anyone my secret. ;)

Written By: Apricot on 04/13/05 at 10:03 am

I'm sorry, but I don't respect your opinion. I can't respect arguments that don't involve logical reasoning.

I can't respect arguments that are GHEY!!!!!111oneonetwosixspatula

Written By: darktower on 04/13/05 at 11:21 am

I follow the teachings of Christ, though I am the proud namer of Absorbism.

A lot of people, like yourself, talk about how great God is and how much he loves us. Have you ever felt as though your God hates you? I often feel like God hates me, like I'm doing something to tick him off, and I'm being punished for it. Have you ever felt this way, or something similar? Like God was leaving when things got hard, or that he just didn't care? Lemme know. I guarantee in a week or so Hairspray'll have this on the political board.

With me, it was more that I felt that God required me to hate myself, and I wasted entire decades savagely ripping at my own soul. Then, one day (and believe me, I'm no prophet), God gently pointed me to the Cross and told me "Courage...I've already taken care of all that for you." The Bible speaks of God "hating" many things (action, and I haven't got space or time to deal with "hate" in a Semitic culture), but He Is Love (essence). I think Jesus is extremely tolerant and understanding of our sins against Him and against ourselves; he forgave every sinner he came in contact with and said "every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven" (Matt.12:31, NIV). I also think He is extremely intolerant of the crap we put each other through; nevertheless, when we get it through our thick skulls what we have done, and repent (that is, Quit it! Enough already! Sheesh!), He will always, always forgive. God is love; Jesus is the bodily representation of that divine self-sacrificing love that is willing, now, then, and forever, to take our sins, to take our guilt, and yes, to take our crap and keep coming back.

I won't say God bless you; He is, every day, even right now. I hope this helps.

Written By: darktower on 04/13/05 at 11:27 am

Do you believe in oxygen? ;)

Written By: darktower on 04/13/05 at 11:52 am

I don't believe, but I am not completely closed off to the idea of Christianity (or any other religion, for that matter). However, if I do become religious again, I will end up being Unitarian Universalist or a more liberal-minded (not neccesarily in the political sense) sect.

I humbly offer the following: forget, for a moment, the "idea" of Christianity (and by the way, if it's just an idea, then the hell with it). Was there ever a historical person named, probably, Yeshua ben-Youssef, of Nazareth, an obscure self-trained and self-certified "rabbi", who lived oh, about two thousand years ago, and collected together a rag-tag rabble of "disciples" from all levels of society (fishermen, a corrupt government official, religious nuts, etc.) who wandered around the countryside subsisting on the bounty of rich women (Luke 8:2-3), yet who scattered like diseased rats when he was executed by the Roman authority?

If you think you can reasonably answer "Yes, probably" to that question, then I only have three more:

1. Is there today a religion called, for lack of a better term, Christianity, that is the spiritual home of one-sixth of humanity, is more widely distributed globally than any other faith, and has survived two thousand years of hatred and persecution all designed to eliminate it from the minds and hearts of men?

2. Why?

3. How?

God will bless your spiritual journey; have no doubt about that! (P.S. try the Moravians, if you can find a congregation near you!)

Written By: Apricot on 04/13/05 at 2:13 pm

With me, it was more that I felt that God required me to hate myself, and I wasted entire decades savagely ripping at my own soul. Then, one day (and believe me, I'm no prophet), God gently pointed me to the Cross and told me "Courage...I've already taken care of all that for you." The Bible speaks of God "hating" many things (action, and I haven't got space or time to deal with "hate" in a Semitic culture), but He Is Love (essence). I think Jesus is extremely tolerant and understanding of our sins against Him and against ourselves; he forgave every sinner he came in contact with and said "every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven" (Matt.12:31, NIV). I also think He is extremely intolerant of the crap we put each other through; nevertheless, when we get it through our thick skulls what we have done, and repent (that is, Quit it! Enough already! Sheesh!), He will always, always forgive. God is love; Jesus is the bodily representation of that divine self-sacrificing love that is willing, now, then, and forever, to take our sins, to take our guilt, and yes, to take our crap and keep coming back.

I won't say God bless you; He is, every day, even right now. I hope this helps.

Good paragraph, I will hand it to you. But it's a little late in coming. I've really lost my faith that I once had, and it doesn't seem to come back. I always heard that I would come crashing down without God, but I haven't seen it. If it happens, by all means, I'd turn back. But I don't see it.

Written By: Taoist on 04/14/05 at 9:17 am

1. Is there today a religion called, for lack of a better term, Christianity, that is the spiritual home of one-sixth of humanity, is more widely distributed globally than any other faith, and has survived two thousand years of hatred and persecution all designed to eliminate it from the minds and hearts of men?

2. Why?

3. How?

1. Not really (to the question as you put it)
Christianity covers a broad spectrum of "sub-religions", each with their own creeds, beliefs and ceremonies.  Many of these differences are mutually exclusive.  Churches also adapt their local cultural beliefs thus separating them from the global aspect of christianity.
Christianity is, therefore, too wide a term to be useful when talking about numbers of followers.  Some "christians" will hold beliefs that differ more from other "christians" than from followers of non christian religions (especially judaism, islam and bahai)
The percentages of the worlds population that follow any particular sect of christianity will be quite small.

For distribution, see above but distribution of a religion tends to be based on conquest and is not necessarily a pointer to the 'quality' of a religion.

Christianity has only been around for approx 1600 years (it did not start with the birth of the christ)

As for persecution and hatred, this is just spin.  Human beings have persecuted each other throughout recoreded history for, on the face of it, many different reasons.  Christians have been on the receiving end of this no more than any other identifiable group of people (see first comment).
In fact, christians have been the persecutors many times and many cases of persecution against christians has come from other christians!
I am not aware of any significant cases in history where persecution has been in the form of an attempt "to eliminate it from the minds and hearts of men"
In fact, in my country (UK), religion (predominantly christian) enjoys privileges far above it's merit.  The government (democracy?) has representatives from the christian church who have real power which derives from no democratic authority.  These men were simply elected by the (a)  christian church.
Under UK law, you can ridicule any belief I hold, as you would expect with free speech, except my beliefs about religion.  It is an offence to question these things.  There is still a law that means that all people who do not profess christianity are committing an offence (blasphemy)
I hardly think that christians have been persecuted for 2000 years!

Social evolution doesn't imply "why".  There is no designer or intelligent guiding force. If there is, it has not revelaed itself to me or explained to me why it does what it does.

How has christianity survived?
Beliefs/ideas (memes) spread through society.  There are a variety of reasons why they may spread or decline.  In the case of christianity, the main reason is social conditioning.  Most theists live ond die with the religious beliefs of their parents/local environment.
Many beliefs have spread across the world, we now look back on many a foolish (flat earth, sun gods, alchemy, etc.)
Christianity has many aspects which will make it popular and parents will pass it on to their children (just like genes).

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 9:41 am

Why is Christianity considered a religion?  And why just because you believe in God, must people assume that you are a Christian?  The definition of Christian is one who believes in Christ and who has a personal relationship with Him.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/14/05 at 9:43 am

Why is Christianity considered a religion?  And why just because you believe in God, must people assume that you are a Christian?  The definition of Christian is one who believes in Christ and who has a personal relationship with Him.

What do you mean by "believe in God?"

I think your answer lies in your own question.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 9:47 am

Well you see, many people ask "Do you believe in God?" If I was to say yes, they assume that I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean that I am.  Many people believe in God but are not Christians.  So is it really a proper question just to ask "Do you believe in God?"

Written By: karen on 04/14/05 at 10:24 am

Do you believe in oxygen? ;)

There are tests I can perform which give consistent results to show that something exists which we call oxygen.  I do not know of any test which I can perform which shows that God exists

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 10:25 am

How can we live without oxygen?

Written By: karen on 04/14/05 at 10:35 am

How can we live without oxygen?

we can't.  but I don't see the connection to this thread.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 10:40 am

oh lol I think that I got confused somewhere along the line.  I thought that someone brought up oxygen and you answered it but I guess they thought....never mind I am confusing myself some more.

Written By: karen on 04/14/05 at 10:46 am

Someone did bring up oxygen and I did answer it.  I'm guessing (though I'm not sure) that they are trying to say that people 'believe' in oxygen even though we can't see it therefore we should believe in God.

I guess my reply to you was to get you to think whether your question really followed on from mine.  Not wanting to put words in to your mouth but I thought you might be making the point that, like we can't live without oxygen, we can't live without God.  I am kind of assuming that was darktowers point when they asked about oxygen.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 10:50 am

oh okay. I was just going to say that if there is no oxygen how are we living.  I wasnt going to relate it to God.  But that was a good point whoever did it.

Written By: karen on 04/14/05 at 10:53 am

That's a fair point, Pink Kitty.  We need oxygen to survive so whether we believe in it or not (whatever that means) it will be there .  To my mind there is no 'believing' about physical things because, on the whole, we can demonstrate that they exist.

Written By: darktower on 04/14/05 at 11:29 am

There are tests I can perform which give consistent results to show that something exists which we call oxygen.  I do not know of any test which I can perform which shows that God exists

Sure you do. The question is: are you willing to set up the apparatus and run the thing? Experiment design: "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38). I assure you the results are replicable; they have been experimentally confirmed for centuries, all around the world. I admit it's a little like Dr. Jekyll drinking his potion, or Jeff Goldblum climbing into the chamber, but what's life without thrill?

Rejoice in the Lord!

Written By: darktower on 04/14/05 at 11:40 am

Someone did bring up oxygen and I did answer it.  I'm guessing (though I'm not sure) that they are trying to say that people 'believe' in oxygen even though we can't see it therefore we should believe in God.

I guess my reply to you was to get you to think whether your question really followed on from mine.  Not wanting to put words in to your mouth but I thought you might be making the point that, like we can't live without oxygen, we can't live without God.  I am kind of assuming that was darktowers point when they asked about oxygen.

Hi...darktower here. Sorry about the confusion (dang gnomic wisdom, anyway!). Point is - if God is the "ground of existence" as the medieval philosophers formulated it- if He is the great I Am - then He exists, because I most definitely exist, and I couldn't if there were no Existence to begin with. If, on the other hand, the fact of existence is the result of random quantum fluctuations in nothing, as modern physics would seem to have it - then I don't know what the hey I'm talking about, and may not even be here.

Because I can breathe, oxygen exists. Because I can exist - God exists.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 12:37 pm

No it's not.  Jewish people believe in God, but they don't believe that Jesus is his son.  They believe in a single God, not the Holy Trinity that Christians believes in.  And, I don't think ANYONE can confuse Judaism with Christianity.

Oh okay I actually did not know that.

Written By: darktower on 04/14/05 at 1:23 pm

Sorry, still not tangible proof that God exists.

If you mean "touchable with human fingers" - nope, I can't help you there. This is transnatural, not natural; the rules of science or "natural philosophy" don't apply. Hm..if you mean "capable of objective demonstration" - go interview some Christians ( I almost said "believers" but I am a Christian so I guess you'll just have to pardon me for team spirit), unless that's too much like hearsay evidence. If you mean  "evident; real" - I'd offer my own experience, except that you don't know me.

I wonder what you "see" when you think of God? A giant old bearded man? A "spirit" - some sort of possibly filmable ghost? A mighty Force, perhaps, glowing with neon holiness? A Humongous Cosmic Vanilla Custard, filling every inch of spacetime? I think St. John grasped it best by saying "God is Love", where the linking verb "is" has the mathematical force of "=". Lovers really shouldn't demand "proof" of love, should they? Shouldn't they just enjoy the experience? I'm not sure what result you're expecting.

Written By: darktower on 04/14/05 at 2:30 pm

Yes I do.  God is simple and people are complicated and tend complicate things.  The question is do you have a relationship with him.  I'm a believer and know him from personal experience.  I know that people want to see faith be real not fake and I think people don't nessesarily reject God as much as the hypocrocy they see.  If a person really knew God's presence and love, they would know he is real and loves them.  If you're a believer please be real and not fake because folks can spot a mile away and that's one thing we don't need more of.  The church needs to be the church and quit playing church.  In no way am I implieing those things to the author of this thread. ;)

Thou art not far from the Kingdom of God...in fact, thou art smack in the middle, giving high fives to everybody. You've refreshed my heart, brother!

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/14/05 at 4:59 pm

I believe in faith, but not the institution. Not to dis anybody but I have a real problem with religions that accept other HUMANS as their divine leaders.
I also don't care for religious fanatics who bend over backwards trying to convert people.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 5:06 pm

What do you mean by bending over backwards to convert people?  I guess what I am trying to prove is that people in churches are taught to hurry and be speakers of God and to get everyone to believe.  Personally, I think that it is quite irresponsible.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/05 at 5:08 pm

I believe in faith, but not the institution. Not to dis anybody but I have a real problem with religions that accept other HUMANS as their divine leaders.
I also don't care for religious fanatics who bend over backwards trying to convert people.

I object to the state using religion, or collaborating with religion, to manipulate the people.  That is exactly what the American Fascist Party (aka Republican) has been doing for the past 25 years.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/14/05 at 5:09 pm

What do you mean by bending over backwards to convert people?  I guess what I am trying to prove is that people in churches are taught to hurry and be speakers of God and to get everyone to believe.  Personally, I think that it is quite irresponsible.

It is irresponsible.

Nobody can be forced to belive, you have to make that leap of faith yourself.

It's a personal thing.

This is why the 'Critical Coalition' are such a dangerous bunch. There sole objective is to have everybody belive what they want to.

Hey guys, i thought you left England because we were puritanical.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/14/05 at 5:10 pm

It is irresponsible.

Nobody can be forced to belive, you have to make that leap of faith yourself.

It's a personal thing.

This is why the 'Critical Coalition' are such a dangerous bunch. There sole objective is to have everybody belive what they want to.

Hey guys, i thought you left England because we were puritanical.

To the contrary. The Pilgrims wanted religious freedom to away from the Church of England so they could be extremist as they want to be. "The Crucible" is a very good representation of Puritan America and how this nation began.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/14/05 at 5:13 pm

I agree.  I think that the pilgrims left becuase they wanted religious freedoms but here we are today wanting to force religion on people.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/14/05 at 5:16 pm

To the contrary. The Pilgrims wanted religious freedom to away from the Church of England so they could be extremist as they want to be. "The Crucible" is a very good representation of Puritan America and how this nation began.

True enough..

The Crucible also ties in well with the McCarthyist Tactics employed by a lot of these Modern day groups. If you don't follow our line of thought you are obviously either a terrorist, or you support them.

'A smear campaign of groundless acusations from which the accused cannot escape, because professions of innocence become admissions of guilt and only confessions are accepted.'

Yup, rings true now as well...

Written By: darktower on 04/15/05 at 8:57 am

I agree.  I think that the pilgrims left becuase they wanted religious freedoms but here we are today wanting to force religion on people.

Good morning, Kitty; thanks for the "good point" the other day. I'm not speaking directly to you here, but I am taking occasion regarding something you say to ask a general question: why is Christian witness widely seen as "telling us how to live", "forcing religion" on people, or "cramming something down somebody's throat"? Christianity is our weak attempt to spread the good news - the gospel - that man's long search for the transcendent - the divine - for answers - is over. It's come and found us!

In his letter to the Galatian church, Paul writes that "the acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft (apologies to the Wiccans; IMO, Paul was not after you folks here); hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage (apologies to everybody, but in my limited time here, I've already seen some of that!)....envy, drunkenness, orgies, and the like" (Gal. 5:19-21). Now, aside from you rowdies in the back who are pumping your fists and going "WHOOAH!" - who finds any of this attractive? And if you do, please consider carefully why.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control" (Gal. 5:22-23). Are these what you object to having shoved down your throat? And yes, I already hear your strenuous objections. "Do you think that Christians alone can have these qualities?" Of course not. However, I can tell you that Christ's power in me makes all these things both easier and more fulfilling to practice, and much more powerfully effective when practiced (yes, especially among the family of believers).

At one time, I too didn't believe in a God who personally contacted people. I'd never seen it; I'd never heard it; I thought people who said they did were, well, lying hypocrites with an agenda. Then it happened to me. Be open to possibility. "Seek and you will find." Or be found. That's all I'm saying.

Written By: darktower on 04/15/05 at 9:39 am

1. Not really (to the question as you put it)
Christianity covers a broad spectrum of "sub-religions", each with their own creeds, beliefs and ceremonies.  Many of these differences are mutually exclusive.  Churches also adapt their local cultural beliefs thus separating them from the global aspect of christianity.
Christianity is, therefore, too wide a term to be useful when talking about numbers of followers.  Some "christians" will hold beliefs that differ more from other "christians" than from followers of non christian religions (especially judaism, islam and bahai)
The percentages of the worlds population that follow any particular sect of christianity will be quite small.

For distribution, see above but distribution of a religion tends to be based on conquest and is not necessarily a pointer to the 'quality' of a religion.

Christianity has only been around for approx 1600 years (it did not start with the birth of the christ)

As for persecution and hatred, this is just spin.  Human beings have persecuted each other throughout recoreded history for, on the face of it, many different reasons.  Christians have been on the receiving end of this no more than any other identifiable group of people (see first comment).
In fact, christians have been the persecutors many times and many cases of persecution against christians has come from other christians!
I am not aware of any significant cases in history where persecution has been in the form of an attempt "to eliminate it from the minds and hearts of men"
In fact, in my country (UK), religion (predominantly christian) enjoys privileges far above it's merit.  The government (democracy?) has representatives from the christian church who have real power which derives from no democratic authority.  These men were simply elected by the (a)  christian church.
Under UK law, you can ridicule any belief I hold, as you would expect with free speech, except my beliefs about religion.  It is an offence to question these things.  There is still a law that means that all people who do not profess christianity are committing an offence (blasphemy)
I hardly think that christians have been persecuted for 2000 years!

Social evolution doesn't imply "why".  There is no designer or intelligent guiding force. If there is, it has not revelaed itself to me or explained to me why it does what it does.

How has christianity survived?
Beliefs/ideas (memes) spread through society.  There are a variety of reasons why they may spread or decline.  In the case of christianity, the main reason is social conditioning.  Most theists live ond die with the religious beliefs of their parents/local environment.
Many beliefs have spread across the world, we now look back on many a foolish (flat earth, sun gods, alchemy, etc.)
Christianity has many aspects which will make it popular and parents will pass it on to their children (just like genes).

I don't know if you saw the first part of my post or not; it's not quoted. My point is, why didn't such a goofy and improbable belief system not die out, or get stamped out, a long time ago ("turn the other cheek"; "resist not one who is evil" - please.)

By "Christianity", I mean "the total number of individuals who are in a personal relationship of love, trust, and understanding with a certain Yeshua ben Youssef of Nazareth, commonly referred to as Jesus Christ, whose life, death, and ressurection from the dead proved him to be the earthly embodiment of a transcendent, infinite, possibly multidimensional being of jaw-dropping power and authority over the universe in all its parts and events." Everything else you mention are the merest incidentals. (And I agree with you about the name "Christianity.)

In your reference to "1600 years", I assume you're talking about the institutionalized whooptidoo that got started about the time of the council of Nicaea and the defeat of Arianism. See definition above.

Persecution and hatred? O.K., you caught me out on that one. Thanks for taking me down a peg.

With respect, such a force has revealed itself to me. I seek no glory; I was not deserving, and still am not; I am no prophet; He doesn't beam signals into my head 24-7 (thank God I made that aluminium cap). I'm just saying.

My knowledge of meme theory is, admittedly, sketchy; help me out. Does the mere identification of a meme speak to its truth value in any way? And my parents were gentle agnostics; I went through so many "isms" it isn't funny, and I practiced Christianity for twenty years before I was given the gift of becoming a Christian. I seem to have been a tough nut for a meme to infect.

"The percentages of the world's population that follow any particular sect of Christianity will be quite small." Quite so. We are the salt of the earth. How much salt do you want on your food? ;D

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/15/05 at 9:42 am

Good morning, Kitty; thanks for the "good point" the other day. I'm not speaking directly to you here, but I am taking occasion regarding something you say to ask a general question: why is Christian witness widely seen as "telling us how to live", "forcing religion" on people, or "cramming something down somebody's throat"? Christianity is our weak attempt to spread the good news - the gospel - that man's long search for the transcendent - the divine - for answers - is over. It's come and found us!

In his letter to the Galatian church, Paul writes that "the acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft (apologies to the Wiccans; IMO, Paul was not after you folks here); hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage (apologies to everybody, but in my limited time here, I've already seen some of that!)....envy, drunkenness, orgies, and the like" (Gal. 5:19-21). Now, aside from you rowdies in the back who are pumping your fists and going "WHOOAH!" - who finds any of this attractive? And if you do, please consider carefully why.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control" (Gal. 5:22-23). Are these what you object to having shoved down your throat? And yes, I already hear your strenuous objections. "Do you think that Christians alone can have these qualities?" Of course not. However, I can tell you that Christ's power in me makes all these things both easier and more fulfilling to practice, and much more powerfully effective when practiced (yes, especially among the family of believers).

At one time, I too didn't believe in a God who personally contacted people. I'd never seen it; I'd never heard it; I thought people who said they did were, well, lying hypocrites with an agenda. Then it happened to me. Be open to possibility. "Seek and you will find." Or be found. That's all I'm saying.

I personally think that people should not shove religion down others throats.  If the person is interested then someone can speak to them.  I like how you used scripture.  The fruit of the spirit in Galations 5 is a very good point.  I am not going to type all of this out, but the whole chapter of Galations 5 is really good.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/16/05 at 2:57 pm

I personally think that people should not shove religion down others throats. If the person is interested then someone can speak to them. I like how you used scripture. The fruit of the spirit in Galations 5 is a very good point. I am not going to type all of this out, but the whole chapter of Galations 5 is really good.

I don't know why Christians think that it's wrong to spread the word.

Matthew 28:19 -- "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..."

Now sure, no one should be forcing people to accept religion by "shoving it down their throats," but Jesus said to make disciples of all nations.  And when Jesus says something, you probably shouldn't ignore it.

I like this guy's sermon on the subject:
http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/2405.htm
(It's a little long, so if you don't want to read it all, the first ten paragraphs are what really illustrates my point.)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 2:58 pm

If I don't ask you about your religion, and you come up to me and start telling me about it I will ask once for you to stop. Then I will punch you in the nose. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/05 at 3:02 pm

They first when to Holland after leaving England, which was(is) VERY tolerant of religious freedom and they couldn't take that. So they came here.

Cat

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 3:06 pm

They first when to Holland after leaving England, which was(is) VERY tolerant of religious freedom and they couldn't take that. So they came here.

Cat

Yup. Like I said, they wanted to be extremist. The King wouldn't allow it, because it went against the Church of England, and that crap wouldn't go over in Holland because they are so tolerant. So they said 'screw it! we will make our own country'. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/05 at 3:08 pm

Yup. Like I said, they wanted to be extremist. The King wouldn't allow it, because it went against the Church of England, and that crap wouldn't go over in Holland because they are so tolerant. So they said 'screw it! we will make our own country'. ;D

Which really cracks me up when the history books say that they came over here to seek religious freedom.

Cat

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 3:09 pm

Which really cracks me up when the history books say that they came over here to seek religious freedom.

Cat

I know! ;D

My government teacher told me that and I told him "baloney they came here so they could have their own theocracy!" and he got quite irritated.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/16/05 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.

This just goes to show how messed up the teaching of History is in our school systems.

If it dosen't primarily concern Britian, then we don't learn about it. You know we were never taught a word about The War of Independance, in which we played a fairly large part.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 3:12 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.

This just goes to show how messed up the teaching of History is in our school systems.

If it dosen't primarily concern Britian, then we don't learn about it. You know we were never taught a word about The War of Independance, in which we played a fairly large part.

I know! The first time I ever talked to a UKer, which was here online, was about four years ago. And I asked the bloke all sorts of questions, and one of them was what his take was on the American revolutionary war. And the guy literally knew nothing about it! I was shocked.

Although, our history tends to be very nationalcentric as well. Since we share the same land mass, and have had pretty inter-related histories, you would think the American school system would at LEAST give us a basic overview of Canadian and Mexican history. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/05 at 3:19 pm

This is a pretty interesting but I think we are started to get off-topic a bit. Maybe one of you wants to start a thread about it?

Cat

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/16/05 at 3:42 pm

This is a pretty interesting but I think we are started to get off-topic a bit. Maybe one of you wants to start a thread about it?

Cat

I agree with you Cat

Written By: Apricot on 04/16/05 at 10:42 pm

If I don't ask you about your religion, and you come up to me and start telling me about it I will ask once for you to stop. Then I will punch you in the nose. ;D

That's actually a Satanist belief... but it applies to anything, such as annoyance or pain. Warn, then destroy.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/17/05 at 3:13 pm

I don't know why Christians think that it's wrong to spread the word.

Matthew 28:19 -- "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..."

Big difference in spreading the word and shoving it down ones throat.  Shoving down the throat could cause someone to turn away instead of come into the word. 

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/17/05 at 3:50 pm

Big difference in spreading the word and shoving it down ones throat.  Shoving down the throat could cause someone to turn away instead of come into the word. 

Thats why I said that modern day Christians are making hings worse and causing more harm than good

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/17/05 at 4:04 pm

Big difference in spreading the word and shoving it down ones throat. Shoving down the throat could cause someone to turn away instead of come into the word.

But Christians can't just back away from the Great Commission because they're afraid to step on a few toes.  However, if a person says that they're not interested in Christianity right now, then they should back off.  But you never know who might be interested and be too afraid to ask.  Christians need to take the initiative.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/17/05 at 4:07 pm

But Christians can't just back away from the Great Commission because they're afraid to step on a few toes.  However, if a person says that they're not interested in Christianity right now, then they should back off.  But you never know who might be interested and be too afraid to ask.  Christians need to take the initiative.

I agree with you.  To many lives are not saved and the church believes that Christians now should spread the word as much as possible.  The only reason as to why I say that they shove it down others throats is because when someone does say that they are not interested, the person who is trying to spread God's word keep pushing which does drive them to not want to hear anything.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/17/05 at 6:31 pm

Or, in my experience, when a person tells them they're not interested or have different beliefs, they start calling them names or assuming that they're ignorant.  I actually had a guy tell me I'm going to hell because I was Catholic and that Catholicism isn't "real" Christianity.  ::)

I dont listen to others.  So dont pay attention to what that guy said.  As long as you have accepted Christ into your heart and have repented from your sins, heaven is waiting.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/17/05 at 6:46 pm

I dont listen to others.  So dont pay attention to what that guy said.  As long as you have accepted Christ into your heart and have repented from your sins, heaven is waiting.

What if your Jewish? Follow the same kind of Principals.. worship a pretty freakin similar god, have half of the same holy book.. but because you don't accept some carpenter with long hair your hellbound?

Me Thinks Not.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/17/05 at 7:22 pm

John 14:6 -- "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.' "

I used to think that if you were Jewish or Muslim, etc., that you could go to heaven.  After all, we all worship the same God.  But then my youth minister brought the above verse to my attention.  Sure, we all have the same God, but Jesus is the one who lets us get to him.  Because if Jews can get to heaven, (and I don't want to offend any Jews out there by saying this) then the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ means nothing.

Or, in my experience, when a person tells them they're not interested or have different beliefs, they start calling them names or assuming that they're ignorant. I actually had a guy tell me I'm going to hell because I was Catholic and that Catholicism isn't "real" Christianity. ::)

Sounds like that guy is the one being ignorant.  Sure, the Catholic Church is very different from the Protestant Church, but we're all Christians.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/17/05 at 7:29 pm

John 14:6 -- "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.' "

I used to think that if you were Jewish or Muslim, etc., that you could go to heaven.  After all, we all worship the same God.  But then my youth minister brought the above verse to my attention.  Sure, we all have the same God, but Jesus is the one who lets us get to him.  Because if Jews can get to heaven, (and I don't want to offend any Jews out there by saying this) then the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ means nothing.

Wow, your Minister sounds like the guy that i shouted at after a sermon.

He said that nobody but followers of Christ would get to heaven, then he basically bad mouthed all other faiths.

I walked right up to him and demanded to know who he thought he was saying those things. I pointed out that Christ was Jewish, I pointed out that Mohammed was thought of as an Honorable and Noble man, and this dickweed Minister just blew me off with some bullsheesh bible quotes and then walked off. What an asshead, he and his kind are the main reason i have no respect for the church.

Accept what we say.. or you shalt burn in hell!

HA!

To quote Jake Blues..

'I don't need no Jive a$s preacher, telling me why i'm going to hell'

Reminds me of a joke..

A Jewish man dies and goes to heaven. At the pearly gates he is met by Saint Peter, Peter whispers to him 'be silent near this wall' The jewish man whispers.. 'Why?' and Saint Peter Replys 'The Christians are on the other side and they think they're the only ones here'

This is just my opinion now folks..

If you act like an asshead.. not only do you have a crappy life.. but you just die and rot. If you however, are friendly, courteous, honorable..etc.etc.etc You will live and good and fulfilling life.. and may well go to 'heaven'

Personally i see a lot more sense in that then.. Charles Manson Goes to heaven after accepting Jesus.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/17/05 at 7:52 pm

I'm not saying that I'm fully in agreement with my youth minister, but he does make a good point.

Yes, Jesus was Jewish, but then again, until he rose again on the first Easter Sunday, there were no Christians.  And as for Mohammed being an honorable and noble man, I will have to agree.  But you can have morals and not get to heaven.  Let me once again refer to the verse:

NO ONE comes to the Father but by me.  (Not me, but Jesus.)  And when you consider the fact that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, this makes perfect sense.  If we don't accept Christ as our savior, then we don't get salvation.  Without salvation, we will not go to heaven.  Plain and simple.

Now your preacher was probably in the wrong if he actually ridiculed other faiths.  We really don't know which one is the "true" faith, so we can't ridicule the false ones.  I am a Christian.  I truly believe in my heart that I am following the "true" faith.  But I could be wrong.  I'll just have to wait and see.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/17/05 at 8:10 pm

I'm not saying that I'm fully in agreement with my youth minister, but he does make a good point.

Yes, Jesus was Jewish, but then again, until he rose again on the first Easter Sunday, there were no Christians.  And as for Mohammed being an honorable and noble man, I will have to agree.  But you can have morals and not get to heaven.  Let me once again refer to the verse:

NO ONE comes to the Father but by me.  (Not me, but Jesus.)  And when you consider the fact that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, this makes perfect sense.  If we don't accept Christ as our savior, then we don't get salvation.  Without salvation, we will not go to heaven.  Plain and simple.

Now your preacher was probably in the wrong if he actually ridiculed other faiths.  We really don't know which one is the "true" faith, so we can't ridicule the false ones.  I am a Christian.  I truly believe in my heart that I am following the "true" faith.  But I could be wrong.  I'll just have to wait and see.

Yesh.. the Bible Quotes.. ok.. that's fine, i respect your faith but let me ask you this..

Who wrote the Bible? Was it not written at a time when the church was new and needed a power base? If it were proven wrong, do you not think the church would be.. screwed?

I can accept religion, but Religious Books piss me off like anything. It's a freakin Book. Any fool can write a book, hell i wrote a 20,000 word essay once.. that's not far off the size of a small book.

Please.. come up with a reasonable argument, instead of quotes from a book.. that is not only boring.. but dosen't even have accredited sources.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/17/05 at 8:33 pm

But Christians can't just back away from the Great Commission because they're afraid to step on a few toes. However, if a person says that they're not interested in Christianity right now, then they should back off. But you never know who might be interested and be too afraid to ask. Christians need to take the initiative.

But, that isn't cramming it down someone's throat.  Cramming comes in when the person tells you they aren't interested and you continue to shove. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/17/05 at 8:37 pm

But, that isn't cramming it down someone's throat.  Cramming comes in when the person tells you they aren't interested and you continue to shove. 

Does it annoy you when people stop you in the street and say something like.. would you like to use Sprint for your this and that Phone Services?

Yes.. thought so.

It annoys Me when people say.. Choose Christ, he'll save you.. My normal response to this is, can't stop, i'm on my way to the Mosque.

Religion is a very sensitive subject.. so it's very easy to step on toes and PISS PEOPLE OFF!!

If somebody wants to convert to Christianity.. a Minister isn't hard to find.. they tend to be in the big building..the..the.. THE CHURCH!

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/17/05 at 9:01 pm

Yesh.. the Bible Quotes.. ok.. that's fine, i respect your faith but let me ask you this..

Who wrote the Bible? Was it not written at a time when the church was new and needed a power base? If it were proven wrong, do you not think the church would be.. screwed?

I can accept religion, but Religious Books tick me off like anything. It's a freakin Book. Any fool can write a book, hell i wrote a 20,000 word essay once.. that's not far off the size of a small book.

Please.. come up with a reasonable argument, instead of quotes from a book.. that is not only boring.. but dosen't even have accredited sources.

The Bible is the most accurate history book we have concerning the time of Christ and the beginnings of the Church.  I trust it because of that, and because I know that God had a hand in creating it.  But you don't want the quotes, so I won't use quotes.  No problem.

I had thought that this was a reasonable arguement:

And when you consider the fact that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, this makes perfect sense.  If we don't accept Christ as our savior, then we don't get salvation.  Without salvation, we will not go to heaven.  Plain and simple.

Apparently not.  But let me elaborate.  The Jewish religion is based on the Old Testament.  The Christian faith is that plus the New Testament.  So the only thing separating these two religions is Jesus, or lack thereof.  Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and to save us from death.  The thing is, you have to accept Christ as your savior to be saved.  Seems kinda obvious, don't it?  Well, if the Jews don't accept this fact, then it follows that they have not been saved.  And if you're not saved, then you won't be going to heaven.

I guess I just said the same thing, but I consider it a reasonable and valid point.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/18/05 at 5:24 am

The Bible is the most accurate history book we have concerning the time of Christ and the beginnings of the Church.  I trust it because of that, and because I know that God had a hand in creating it.  But you don't want the quotes, so I won't use quotes.  No problem.

I had thought that this was a reasonable arguement:
Apparently not.  But let me elaborate.  The Jewish religion is based on the Old Testament.  The Christian faith is that plus the New Testament.  So the only thing separating these two religions is Jesus, or lack thereof.  Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and to save us from death.  The thing is, you have to accept Christ as your savior to be saved.  Seems kinda obvious, don't it?  Well, if the Jews don't accept this fact, then it follows that they have not been saved.  And if you're not saved, then you won't be going to heaven.

I guess I just said the same thing, but I consider it a reasonable and valid point.

The point i am trying to make here is this, and i suppose it boils down to one thing. Proof.

You say, that Jesus Christ was the son of God, you say he died on the cross so us sinners would go to heaven, you say that only those who accept him as there saviour will go to heaven... well in the words of Scot Hall - 'Prove It!'

I'm sorry but i don't accept the bible as the ONLY! Freakin' history book of that time in History.

It's by far the most biased History book of the time, but as they say, History is written by the winners, and the Christian Church is most definatley a big winner. After all, in the last 2000 years they have brainwashed untold masses of people, a few billion me thinks.

Hey, let's look at a few other things Jesus 'God Dancing' Christ has done in the past few years.

Untold millions have dided after being refused treatment.. Because the Lord will save them.
The Crusades anybody.
Wow, The Church was just instrumental in stopping the Holocaust  ::)
And of course.. the Ann Coulter affect, Let's invade the country, kill the leaders and convert them al to Christianity.  ::)

You know God had a hand in creating the bible? Well yes i suppose in a way he made the trees that were cut down to make the pap... oooooh he wrote it did he, or his divine influence helped others write it. Wow.. pretty bold statement to make.. especially when there is.. NO FREAKIN' PROOF!

See i can accept god's influence around the place, do i think he had a hand in creation, hell yeah, not as the bible tells it, but things ain't this pretty by chance. Do i think he made us in his own image, errrrrmm.. NAH AH! That theory has been blown out of the water so many times it's not funny. Do i think his influence is around in every day life, nope.. we have free will for a reason people.

I have rambled enough here..

Back to my main point, i can't accept what you say because you have no proof whatsoever. I don't mean i want a written statement from God saying this that and t'other. I mean, where can you find 'circumstantial' evidence pointing to the fact that We'll all burn if we don't accept christ.

You like to go on about how 'The Great Flood' was mentioned in other books.. why not Jesus Christ as saviour?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/05 at 10:15 am

The Bible is the most accurate history book we have concerning the time of Christ and the beginnings of the Church.  I trust it because of that, and because I know that God had a hand in creating it.  But you don't want the quotes, so I won't use quotes.  No problem.

I have heard that Qur'an has more a historical account of Jesus' life. Haven't read it myself so I can't say if that is correct or not. That is just what I have heard.

Cat

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/18/05 at 10:17 am

I have heard that Qur'an has more a historical account of Jesus' life. Haven't read it myself so I can't say if that is correct or not. That is just what I have heard.

Cat

What is qur'an?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/05 at 10:23 am

What is qur'an?

The Qur'an is the Islamic "Bible"

Cat

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/18/05 at 10:25 am

The Qur'an is the Islamic "Bible"

Cat

Oh okay I didnt know that

Written By: Mayleneo on 04/18/05 at 10:47 am

I just dont know:(

I have a lot of religous family influencing me.... but it just seems too much to swallow, what u sign up for if u really do believe... and my intellect always prompts me to throw it out,

I once heard a quote forgot who said it, but it said something like "God is the opium of the human" , and that makes a lot of sense, its easier to get thru life if u can always believe there is somebody who loves u no matter what you do... does that make him really exist?.... i just dont know... wish i did.

Written By: darktower on 04/18/05 at 11:01 am

And, doesn't the Old Testament also talk about salvation?  What makes the New Testament's view on how to be "saved" more valid than the OT's?

Please pardon the interruption, but I wonder if we could get clearer on what is meant by the term salvation? For most Christians, I'd say it was something like, "Well, when we believe on Jesus Christ, our sins are forgiven, so we don't go to hell, but get "sneaked" into heaven under the cover of Jesus' blood."

I'm not sure this is the message of the Bible. As far as I know, "hell" is never mentioned as the proper penalty for sins. I also right now can't think of a place where "heaven" is promised as the reward of those "justified" in Christ. I think these "pictorial locations" are the fruit of pious church tradition.

The New Testament states explicitly that we are saved from, primarily, three things: 1. our sins;  2. "eternal death" (whatever that might mean); and the "wrath of God" (however that might be manifested). It is generally assumed that 2 & 3 mean "hell", though I can't think of a place where the New Testament explicitly says "If you don't believe in Jesus Christ before you die, you're going to Hell" (and it would seem that such a horrible reality would be taught in so many words with the utmost clarity over and over again in every book). Yet in the first Christian sermon, Peter exhorts his hearers to save themselves from "this corrupt generation" (Acts 2:40)(maybe "contemporary society", or something like that, but certainly not from "flaming Hell), and the apostle Paul never mentions hell - not one time in any of his letters. There are only two reasons for this: either the doctrine was so undisputably well known that Paul felt he didn't have to even hint at it - or his understanding of salvation was very different from that of modern Christianity.

In the Bible, fire is often a symbol of God. The burning bush, for one. Or Malachi 3:2, where the Messiah is depicted as "a refiner's fire" that will "purify the sons of Levi...that they may offer to the Lord an offering in righteousness." In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul speaks of the man who "will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames" (1 Cor. 3:15)

I have a five-year old daughter. I am frequently frustrated with her behavior - even "wrathful." But it's because I know that her current behavior is obscuring her beauty, and warping the person she will become. I don't intend to fry her forever, not matter how much she may have "offended my dignity." I know without doubt that God is a far more loving Father than I can ever be. You do the math. Personally, I don't give a rat's fat A$$ whether I "get to Heaven" or not. The Lord is "the portion of my inheritance and my cup" (Psalm 16:5); "this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent" (John 17:3).

Written By: Apricot on 04/19/05 at 5:24 am

I just dont know:(

I have a lot of religous family influencing me.... but it just seems too much to swallow, what u sign up for if u really do believe... and my intellect always prompts me to throw it out,

I once heard a quote forgot who said it, but it said something like "God is the opium of the human" , and that makes a lot of sense, its easier to get thru life if u can always believe there is somebody who loves u no matter what you do... does that make him really exist?.... i just dont know... wish i did.

Karl Marx is the quote, I believe. "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

And it IS easier to get through life believing that someone loves you... for some. Sure, if you have things that make you happy and there isn't too much wrong in your life, it's easy to say someone of higher power loves you. When you HAVEN'T been so lucky as to have all of those advantages, and all that happiness, it's not so easy to believe in a loving God. Some people will cling to that when they're unhappy, for hope of a better tomorrow. I believe in making things happen. Leaving your problems in the hands of something that may not even exist {or to which you might be approaching in a horribly wrong way} always seemed somewhat foolish to me.

Written By: Mayleneo on 04/19/05 at 6:17 am

Karl Marx is the quote, I believe. "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

And it IS easier to get through life believing that someone loves you... for some. Sure, if you have things that make you happy and there isn't too much wrong in your life, it's easy to say someone of higher power loves you. When you HAVEN'T been so lucky as to have all of those advantages, and all that happiness, it's not so easy to believe in a loving God. Some people will cling to that when they're unhappy, for hope of a better tomorrow. I believe in making things happen. Leaving your problems in the hands of something that may not even exist {or to which you might be approaching in a horribly wrong way} always seemed somewhat foolish to me.

Yes, thats exactly the quote that i heard... And i agree... The religous people i know when you have problems they always say "Just Give it to God"  I  personally dont think anyone really knows what that means when people say that. I mean the idea, as warm and fuzzy as it may seem as "giving it to god", doesnt make anything happen, you may as well say " Give it fate" or more crass "Fck it then".  One of the problems i have with Christians in general, is that Christian tend to accept anything  that a religous body tells them to do, it tells them "have faith" ignore your instinct, your instinct ( if not allign with the teachings) is from the devil etc etc.  And sorry folks , but that a bit too much like drinking some ill brand off Kool-Aid for me, no matter how pretty of a bow you wrap it up in.

Written By: Apricot on 04/19/05 at 10:43 am

I've been told that I was being lead by Satan, that I was my own God, once that I was an arrogant, self-enabling bastard.  ;D I love when other people can't argue back intelligently..

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/19/05 at 10:44 am

I've been told that I was being lead by Satan, that I was my own God, once that I was an arrogant, self-enabling bastard.  ;D I love when other people can't argue back intelligently..

Apricot people told you that you could be the Anti-Christ!!

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/19/05 at 8:55 pm

I've been told that I was being lead by Satan, that I was my own God, once that I was an arrogant, self-enabling bastard. ;D I love when other people can't argue back intelligently..

Well, when it comes to religion, it's hard to argue intelligently, unless you're argueing with people of the same faith.  In that situation, you both accept certain things to be undeniably true, which eases the pressure on the adversaries to prove their references true.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/19/05 at 11:23 pm

Well said!!! :)

I also don't like the idea that someone else is "running" my life.  If something good happens, I like to think that I made it happen, not some ambiguous being.  Just as if I screw up, I have noone to blame but myself.  I've been called "conceited" by MANY "Christians" for that belief, but IMO, it's a matter of personal responsibility.

At least you go both ways on the pendelom.  I respect that.

Other's To my Gain, to my credit.

To my loss, to blame others.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/20/05 at 5:08 am

Well, when it comes to religion, it's hard to argue intelligently, unless you're argueing with people of the same faith.  In that situation, you both accept certain things to be undeniably true, which eases the pressure on the adversaries to prove their references true.

Darn You and your well thought out sensible answers, i can't possibly be mad enough to argue now  ;D ;D

I think 'inter-faith arguments' are very difficult to find closure on because much like you say, we each hold different things to be undeniable truths.

Such as.. 'My faith is right' or 'His is wrong'  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 04/20/05 at 5:20 am

It's by far the most biased History book of the time, but as they say, History is written by the winners, and the Christian Church is most definatley a big winner. After all, in the last 2000 years they have brainwashed untold masses of people, a few billion me thinks.

You've got that right. Religion was the big thing for an ignorant world back then. Heck, even when The Black Plague arrived, people were flogging themselves because they thought they were being punished by God.  ::)

The problem for religion is we are not living in an ignorant world anymore.

You know God had a hand in creating the bible? Well yes i suppose in a way he made the trees that were cut down to make the pap... oooooh he wrote it did he, or his divine influence helped others write it. Wow.. pretty bold statement to make.. especially when there is.. NO FREAKIN' PROOF!

This was one of the main problems I had as a teenager with The Jehovah's Witnesses. I might as well have read 'Little Red Riding Hood' and saw as much significance if I really wanted to.

See i can accept god's influence around the place, do i think he had a hand in creation, hell yeah, not as the bible tells it, but things ain't this pretty by chance. Do i think he made us in his own image, errrrrmm.. NAH AH! That theory has been blown out of the water so many times it's not funny. Do i think his influence is around in every day life, nope.. we have free will for a reason people.

The power of creation keeps my hope alive that there is a God, but nothing like the world preaches 'him' to be.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/20/05 at 5:53 am

Drones since the dawn of time,
Compelled to live your sheltered lives.
Not once has anyone ever seen,
Such a rise in pure hypocrisy.
I'll instigate I'll free your mind,
I'll show you what I've known all this time.

So, what this says is that since the dawn of time, people have been compelled to find solace in a God they have created to give them exactly that, solace from the hardships of the world.

It's true, the Hypocrisy that all churches spout is amazing. 'Love they Neighbour' etc etc etc.. Hello People, what happened there during the Crusades?

Homicide - Suicide.
Hate heals, you should try it sometime.
Strive for peace with acts of war,
The beauty of death we all adore.
I have no faith distracting me,
I know why your prayers will never be answered.

If the Church is anything to go by, Hate does indeed heal. After all, why would they have waged holy war after holy war? Strive for Peace with acts of war, that's right, if there are no other religions or races, then of course there will be peace.. for a while.

Pessimist, terrorist targeting the next mark.
Global chaos feeding on hysteria.
Cut throat, slit your wrist, shoot you in the back fair game,
Drug abuse, self abuse searching for the next high.
Sounds a lot like hell is spreading all the time,
I'm waiting for the day the whole world f**kin' dies.

The church can create all the chaos and hysteria it wants at any time it wants. We have already seen it, church goers dwindle.. many people just forget religion, Pope dies.. HO-LE sheeshe!

So, when exactly will the world 'die' the most interesting part of the New Testament is awfully sketchy. Number of the Beast... ohmigosh Bruce Dickinson is the Anti-Christ!!! (Google his name people)

Man made virus infecting the world,
Self-destruct human time bomb.
What if there is no God would you think the f**kin' same?
Wasting your life in a leap of blind faith,
Wake the f**k up can't ignore what I say.
I got my own philosophy.

Religion is a totally man made virus, (sorry.. man made miracle  ::)) Why would any sort of God feel the need to have us constantly chant his name.... if he did then hey, that's a pretty crappy god. I rule, i am god.. no buddy.. no.

If you found out there was no God, would you still try to live the same 'moral' life you do now, or would it all fritter away? Naaaah, if your good people then you would still try and live by the same codes. Think about it now, take God out of the equation and what do you have? Rules to follow, so that there is civil obedience. Has this never occured to you before?

There we have it folks, agree or don't agree, but 'Slayer' just totally kicked Religions A$$!

Written By: Bobby on 04/20/05 at 6:06 am

Slayer may kick a**, Andy but that is no more proof than the bible.  ;D

I do like the lyrics though.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/20/05 at 8:04 am

Slayer may kick a**, Andy but that is no more proof than the bible.  ;D

I do like the lyrics though.  :)

No less proof than the bible either  ;D There is NO proof in the Bible whatsoever.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/20/05 at 6:05 pm

No less proof than the bible either ;D There is NO proof in the Bible whatsoever.

Why does the Bible have to be proved for you to believe it?

Let's say that you want to know Albert Einstein's birthday.  So you look it up.  March 14. But what if the author of your source doesn't back it up.  Do you completely ignore that source?  My guess is that you don't.  You have faith that the author was telling the truth.

That's the point of the Bible.  You have to have faith to believe it.  So in a way, the Bible is a test given by God to us.  He's testing our faith through this book.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/20/05 at 6:08 pm

Why does the Bible have to be proved for you to believe it?

Let's say that you want to know Albert Einstein's birthday.  So you look it up.  March 14. But what if the author of your source doesn't back it up.  Do you completely ignore that source?  My guess is that you don't.  You have faith that the author was telling the truth.

That's the point of the Bible.  You have to have faith to believe it.  So in a way, the Bible is a test given by God to us.  He's testing our faith through this book.

I don't live my life by Einsteins Birth Date though.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/20/05 at 6:10 pm

LogicOWNED.

Sorry..I had to do it.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/20/05 at 6:22 pm

But Einstein's birthdate and the Bible both take faith to believe.  You believe that Einstein's birthday was March 14, and I'm sure you have little doubt in your mind as to the validity of that fact.  Well, the Bible has just as little proof behind it as Einstein's birthday.

Now I do see your point that instructions on how to live your life might need a little more proof than a random fact.  But I would like to mention this:  Do any of the other religions of the world have proof backing them up?  NO.  Besides, religion is all about faith.

Now I know that that's easily argueable, but I'm losing my train of thought, so I'll stop here.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/20/05 at 6:32 pm

Now I do see your point that instructions on how to live your life might need a little more proof than a random fact.  But I would like to mention this:  Do any of the other religions of the world have proof backing them up?  NO.  Besides, religion is all about faith.

Which is the main reason i am converting to reform Judaism.

Of course the main aspects of Judaism are there, but it's up to you what you do with them.

I believe in a god, but my views don't fall within the boundarys that the Catholic church provided  ::)

The big thing that has drawn me to Reform Judaism is that you have God, however you view him, you have certian ways you should try to act that are beneficial to all people, courtesy, respect etc, what else you do is up to you. You can consult a rabbi or anybody else and get there opinions but it's all about you and your own personal faith.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/20/05 at 6:54 pm

Which is the main reason i am converting to reform Judaism.

Of course the main aspects of Judaism are there, but it's up to you what you do with them.

I believe in a god, but my views don't fall within the boundarys that the Catholic church provided ::)

The big thing that has drawn me to Reform Judaism is that you have God, however you view him, you have certian ways you should try to act that are beneficial to all people, courtesy, respect etc, what else you do is up to you. You can consult a rabbi or anybody else and get there opinions but it's all about you and your own personal faith.

Is this "reform Judaism" similar to "Messianic Judaism"?

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/20/05 at 6:55 pm

Is this "reform Judaism" similar to "Messianic Judaism"?

I thought everyone knew what Reform Judaism was..

Written By: Dagwood on 04/20/05 at 7:16 pm

I thought everyone knew what Reform Judaism was..

Nope.  I don't know what it is either.  What is it?

Written By: Bobby on 04/20/05 at 7:37 pm

No less proof than the bible either  ;D There is NO proof in the Bible whatsoever.

No more/less proof doesn't mean they both are fact which have to be believed.

In response to C Noize: Faith in a book that controls your whole life is a risky business. This is more than learning about some fact about a scientist (Einstein's birthday), if it's true or not, Einstein's birthday won't affect you personally (despite being the laughing stock of some intellectuals who did know, lol) the bible is about living your whole life in accordance with a book that struggles to prove itself - I'm not too sure I would like to let something this transparent control me.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/20/05 at 8:44 pm

Nope. I don't know what it is either. What is it?

It is one of the major divisions in Judaism. The other being Orthodox.

Come on. Are you serious? That is about as basic as the difference between Protestant and Catholic. Are you from Chicago? I thought the Chicagoland area had a large Jewish community. Well, heck. Texas certainly doesn't have a lot of Jewish people and I know that.

Sorry to rant but this just seems weird.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/20/05 at 9:22 pm

It is one of the major divisions in Judaism. The other being Orthodox.

Come on. Are you serious? That is about as basic as the difference between Protestant and Catholic. Are you from Chicago? I thought the Chicagoland area had a large Jewish community. Well, heck. Texas certainly doesn't have a lot of Jewish people and I know that.

Sorry to rant but this just seems weird.

Not from Chicago, just a major Cubs fan.  Common mistake people make.  I am actually from Utah.  I could tell you the difference in LDS and FLDS, though. ;)

I had no clue.  I knew there was Judiasm and Orthodox Judiasm, I just wasn't aware that regular Judiasm is called Reformed Judiasm.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/20/05 at 10:31 pm

Not from Chicago, just a major Cubs fan.  Common mistake people make. I am actually from Utah. I could tell you the difference in LDS and FLDS, though. ;)

I had no clue.  I knew there was Judiasm and Orthodox Judiasm, I just wasn't aware that regular Judiasm is called Reformed Judiasm.

Actually, to be more correct, Orthodox Judaism is "regular" Judaism, in the sense that Reform split off from it. In the same sense that, Roman-Catholic/Orthodox would be "regular" Christianity, and Protestant would be an offshoot.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 8:40 am

Reform is basically a very Liberal version of Judaism.

There is far more emphasis on your personal beliefs as opposed to what you are expected to do and think.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/05 at 11:08 am

There are 5 major sects of Judiasm

-Conservative Judaism: This began in the mid-nineteenth century as a reaction against the Reform movement. It is a main-line movement midway between Reform and Orthodox.
-Humanistic Judaism: This is a very small group, mainly composed of atheists and agnostics, who regard mankind as the measure of all things.
-Orthodox Judaism: This the oldest, most conservative, and most diverse form of Judaism. Modern Orthodox, Chasidim and Ultra Orthodox share a basic belief in the derivation of Jewish law, even as they hold very different outlooks on life. They attempt to follow the original form of Judaism as they view it to be. They look upon every word in their sacred texts as being divinely inspired.
-Reconstructionist Judaism: This is a new, small, liberal movement started by Mordecai Kaplan as an attempt to unify and revitalize the religion. They reject the concept that Jews are a uniquely favored and chosen people. They have no connection at all with Christian Reconstructionism, which is an ultra-conservative form of Christianity.
-Reform Judaism: They are a liberal group, followed by many North American Jews. The movement started in the 1790's in Germany. They follow the ethical laws of Judaism, but leave up to the individual the decision whether to follow or ignore the dietary and other traditional laws. They use modern forms of worship. There are many female rabbis in reform congregations.

There is also Messianic Judaism which is a religious movement, composed of faith groups that are mainly attended by ethnic/cultural Jews. They differ from Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jews over their beliefs about the Messiah. Most Jews believe that the Messiah has yet to come; Messianic Jews believe that Yeshua of Nazareth was the expected Messiah. (Yeshua is called Jesus Christ by Christians.)

You can read about this on http://www.religioustolerance.org/index.htm#new

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 04/21/05 at 2:37 pm

Thanks, Cat.  I didn't know there were so many branches of Judiasm.

Written By: Mayleneo on 04/21/05 at 6:57 pm

Dang I just had to let you know Alcholoica, that this little post of witt of yours had me busting up tears laughing when I read it... It makes me laugh,  I love when people make humor, when people make unrealistic or faulty points, Luuuuuvvvv the sarcasm. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 7:20 pm

Total Unrealism is the key.

The stupider you get.. the less people expect of you...

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 8:33 pm

Oh, you'll luuuuuuvvvv him then, he's full of it them :D

* deep voice *

'Eeeeeeeverybody loves Andrew'

Written By: Mayleneo on 04/21/05 at 10:23 pm

Total Unrealism is the key.

The stupider you get.. the less people expect of you...

Ill drink to that... hell but that dont mean much ill drink to much of anything:P

:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

Written By: whitewolf on 05/06/05 at 10:47 pm

thank you Lord

I say these words because, for the past few weeks there has been a revival close to here.
I have witnessed miracles take place. The pastor that was preaching is also a Faith Healer.
My sister has been in a wheelchair since 1999, tonight she walked out of the church.
Best part is that she didn't believe the lord could do that for her before tonight.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/05 at 10:09 am

That is great to hear, whitewolf.  :)

Written By: Pink Kitty on 05/08/05 at 2:21 pm

Whitewolf that is so awesome!  God is so amazing in the things that He can do and He shows himself in so many ways that we dont even acknowledge.  We take the great miraculous things for granted!

Written By: Harmonica on 05/08/05 at 5:59 pm

Whitewolf that is so awesome!  God is so amazing in the things that He can do and He shows himself in so many ways that we dont even acknowledge.  We take the great miraculous things for granted!

Amen to that.

Written By: Apricot on 05/08/05 at 6:17 pm

He shows himself in so many ways that we dont even acknowledge.  We take the great miraculous things for granted!

How so? If it's a miracle, someone's going to notice..

Written By: Harmonica on 05/08/05 at 8:48 pm

How so? If it's a miracle, someone's going to notice..

Miracle's happen everyday, it's the level upon them that we take for granted.  If they're not 10/10 level that is.

Written By: philbo on 05/09/05 at 12:48 am

Random events happen every day.  Some good, some bad.  If you want to credit God for the good ones, then he has to take the blame for the bad, too - the bastard.

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/09/05 at 12:52 am

Once again:

Two guys riding horseback through the desert. A bullet comes out of nowhere, bounces off a rock, hits one in the head and kills him. To the other guy, its a miracle. To the dead guy, its just d@mn bad luck!

Written By: Apricot on 05/09/05 at 5:26 am

Random events happen every day.  Some good, some bad.  If you want to credit God for the good ones, then he has to take the blame for the bad, too - the bastard.

OH HEAVEN'S NO! NO! NO! NO! WE AREN'T LISTENING TO YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! SATAN DOES ALL THE BAD THINGS, GOD IS 100% GOOD, HE LETS THINGS HAPPEN BECAUSE IT'S HIS PLAN, AND IT WORKS OUT FOR THE BEST FOR EVERYONE IN THE END!!!!!!! SHUT UP, I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/09/05 at 11:34 am

OH HEAVEN'S NO! NO! NO! NO! WE AREN'T LISTENING TO YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! SATAN DOES ALL THE BAD THINGS, GOD IS 100% GOOD, HE LETS THINGS HAPPEN BECAUSE IT'S HIS PLAN, AND IT WORKS OUT FOR THE BEST FOR EVERYONE IN THE END!!!!!!! SHUT UP, I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Empires Have Fallen, Millions of men have died, Rape, Pillage, Death bled from rotting corpses.. all in the name of God's Plan.

I love it.

No No, God gave us free will.. next sentance - It's all God's plan.

Errrrmmm pick and choose people.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/09/05 at 12:25 pm

What we do not know gives us plenty of room to doubt...that I don't deny.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/09/05 at 12:52 pm

What we do not know gives us plenty of room to doubt...that I don't deny.

I'm glad your reasonable enough to say that.

I went off on a bit of a tirade before.. which i apoligise for.

I have previously stated that i believe there is a god but refuse to accept any of the propoganda that goes along with it. In my opinion all that does is allow God to be used as a tool of leverage. A bit like Bush does..

He dosen't say that God is on his side.. but he hints at it.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/09/05 at 3:03 pm

I'm glad your reasonable enough to say that.

I went off on a bit of a tirade before.. which i apoligise for.

I have previously stated that i believe there is a god but refuse to accept any of the propoganda that goes along with it. In my opinion all that does is allow God to be used as a tool of leverage. A bit like Bush does..

He dosen't say that God is on his side.. but he hints at it.

I'll also say that there is enough proof in the world to make the likes of myself know that God is real and he does exist.  That he is good, and has his reasons inwhich we can not fathom.

Written By: philbo on 05/09/05 at 3:56 pm

:D

God is only 75% good 'cause you have to delete one of the 'o's ;)

Written By: Apricot on 05/09/05 at 5:31 pm

I'll also say that there is enough proof in the world to make the likes of myself know that God is real and he does exist.  That he is good, and has his reasons inwhich we can not fathom.

Yep, there sure are SO many potentially benevolent reasons for giving someone a total sheeshe life. We just can't fathom them!!!!  :D

Written By: Harmonica on 05/09/05 at 9:31 pm

Yep, there sure are SO many potentially benevolent reasons for giving someone a total sheeshe life. We just can't fathom them!!!!  :D

They say that the toughest road leads to the greatest destination.  The roughest of times we lead to the greatest of rewards.

That could be wrong, as you know it.

That could be right, as I believe it.

If your right, hat's off to you.....if your wrong, we'll better luck next time.

Written By: EthanM on 05/09/05 at 11:54 pm

Adversity can lead to accomplishment... but i think it prevents it more often than it is helpful. But  books about people who could've succeeded with better circumstances but failed because of adversity are a lot less common than horatio alger stories. This is because of entertainment value, not because of an actual correlation to what happens more often.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/10/05 at 1:38 am

Adversity can lead to accomplishment... but i think it prevents it more often than it is helpful. But  books about people who could've succeeded with better circumstances but failed because of adversity are a lot less common than horatio alger stories. This is because of entertainment value, not because of an actual correlation to what happens more often.

Oh I don't know about that.  Most everyone that I know that amounted to something in life, something big, be it famous, or what not, got that way based on the Pathos of there life.

Written By: Apricot on 05/10/05 at 5:50 am

They say that the toughest road leads to the greatest destination.  The roughest of times we lead to the greatest of rewards.

That could be wrong, as you know it.

That could be right, as I believe it.

If your right, hat's off to you.....if your wrong, we'll better luck next time.

That's a good way to put it... not arrogant and claiming it's truth and nothing else no matter what... very humble... I like that.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/10/05 at 11:05 am

To me, it doesn't make sense that 'God' would be any more pro-human than pro-...'lion', for example.  So why do 'bad' things happen to 'good' people?  Because a lion's gotta eat, that's why.  Because if someone fires a gun at you, it destroys the normal operating functions of your organs to a certain degree, and unless they can be repaired, you die.  Because everything has a life span, and even under optimal conditions, that life span expires.  It's not 'good' or 'bad' in an absolute sense, it just is.

I know a lot of people like KFC, but I've never heard anyone sit around wondering why 'bad' things happen to 'good' chickens... 

Why is death 'bad' anyway?  Sure, it's bad from OUR perspective -- if it's someone we like and are going to miss, but... who's to say they're not having a great time wherever they are?  Not that we have any reason to think they're ANYWHERE having ANY kind of experience whatsover... given that they're dead and all.  It's not as though they're in pain, given that physical or emotional pain requires a functioning nervous system.

Sure, I believe in 'God' -- there's obviously something out there beyond my comprehension or control.  I just don't pretend to know what it is or how it operates.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/10/05 at 11:50 am

That's a good way to put it... not arrogant and claiming it's truth and nothing else no matter what... very humble... I like that.

You enter a tournament to get 1st, but sometimes walk out in last.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/10/05 at 11:54 am

To me, it doesn't make sense that 'God' would be any more pro-human than pro-...'lion', for example.  So why do 'bad' things happen to 'good' people?  Because a lion's gotta eat, that's why.  Because if someone fires a gun at you, it destroys the normal operating functions of your organs to a certain degree, and unless they can be repaired, you die.  Because everything has a life span, and even under optimal conditions, that life span expires.  It's not 'good' or 'bad' in an absolute sense, it just is.

I know a lot of people like KFC, but I've never heard anyone sit around wondering why 'bad' things happen to 'good' chickens... 

Why is death 'bad' anyway?  Sure, it's bad from OUR perspective -- if it's someone we like and are going to miss, but... who's to say they're not having a great time wherever they are?  Not that we have any reason to think they're ANYWHERE having ANY kind of experience whatsover... given that they're dead and all.  It's not as though they're in pain, given that physical or emotional pain requires a functioning nervous system.

Sure, I believe in 'God' -- there's obviously something out there beyond my comprehension or control.  I just don't pretend to know what it is or how it operates.

I'd personally like to know why people fear death as well....and not just you whitewolf, or maybe not you at all....but I suspect some people would think I don't fear death for certain reasons, and let me rest assure in them that most likely the reasons I don't fear death, aren't what they'd espect.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/10/05 at 12:45 pm

I'd personally like to know why people fear death as well....and not just you whitewolf, or maybe not you at all....but I suspect some people would think I don't fear death for certain reasons, and let me rest assure in them that most likely the reasons I don't fear death, aren't what they'd espect.

There is nothing to fear from death at all. I think the only reason people fear death is that they are afraid of what may or may not come after it.

I seriously doubt the existence of a 'heaven' or a 'hell' but some people belive that, and may indeed be petrified that they're gonna go to hell.

All death is.. is blood stopping flowing to the Brain.

Ever Passed out? That's what happens, except you don't wake up.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/10/05 at 12:54 pm

Well... except you forgot the sexy angels bit, dude.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/10/05 at 12:56 pm

Well... except you forgot the sexy angels bit, dude.

I didn't realise they had re-hired you  ;D ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 05/10/05 at 3:31 pm

I used to fear death, but not because I was scared to go to hell, but because it is something I cannot control and I have no idea what it will feel like. since I went to the revival last week, I no longer have panic attacks. I still have no control over when I will die but I am no longer afraid or at least as afraid as I used to be.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/10/05 at 4:07 pm

I didn't realise they had re-hired you  ;D ;D

Well, they had sent me down below for a while after that little misunderstanding, but I'm back in good graces now.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/10/05 at 6:04 pm

There is nothing to fear from death at all. I think the only reason people fear death is that they are afraid of what may or may not come after it.

I seriously doubt the existence of a 'heaven' or a 'hell' but some people belive that, and may indeed be petrified that they're gonna go to hell.

All death is.. is blood stopping flowing to the Brain.

So by saying that you believe in the black out theory?  Die and it's black...

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/10/05 at 6:12 pm

So by saying that you believe in the black out theory?  Die and it's black...

I belive that you die..and your dead.

Presumably it dosen't just go black.. there is nothing.

Written By: Apricot on 05/10/05 at 8:15 pm

I'd like to think there is more beyond this life.. but it's a gray area. If anything, I don't view it as positive at all. At least not right now.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 05/18/05 at 8:57 am

Many people are kind of pointing out to me that hell isnt as bad as people make it sound.  They said you only die and thats it.  You just dont live anymore.  Well, heaven is going to be nothing but worshipping someone.  Is that what someone reallly wants for eternity?  I am starting to get a bit confused on all of this....

Written By: Harmonica on 05/18/05 at 9:41 am

Many people are kind of pointing out to me that hell isnt as bad as people make it sound.  They said you only die and thats it.  You just dont live anymore.  Well, heaven is going to be nothing but worshipping someone.  Is that what someone reallly wants for eternity?  I am starting to get a bit confused on all of this....

well look on the bright side, you WILL die, and then you WILL find out.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/18/05 at 4:22 pm

well look on the bright side, you WILL die, and then you WILL find out.

Yes.. that is a bright side man ;D ::)

Written By: jiminy on 05/22/05 at 6:54 am

Yes.. that is a bright side man ;D ::)

as long as they don't put you in a 6 foot hole  ::)

Written By: Apricot on 05/22/05 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, no one's really 100% clear on it. We never know, that's the reason a lot of people just say "You know what? No. All I'm Gonna Get Thinking About It Is A Headache. It's Possible, But I'm Not Gonna Try To Figure It Out." That's agnosticism.

Then there's people who think they have it all figured out, or at least parts of it. That's religion.

Then people who just say "You know what? No. None of it makes sense, none of it is possible". Atheism.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/25/05 at 4:09 am

I believe in God not because I have and evidence of his/her/it's existence, but because I choose to believe. God helps me through life and I owe much of my success in life to the teaching's of Christ. I could not have made it without God by my side each step of the way. I find very interesting bits and pieces about life, and how I should my life, through reading the Bible. It's a great source if you are having difficulty making decisions in your life, or just if life gets you down. The Bible shouldn't be viewed as a religious book, but a guide to life and living. Even if you don't believe in Christianity, the Bible if still a great book to read if you need some sort of guidance or advise that can't be consulted through friends or family.

That's it! See this guy has the right idea.

No need to view the Bible as the literal truth, but a lot of the messages it contains can still be applied today. We should be good to one another, love thy neighbour etc etc. This all applies.

Well said.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/27/05 at 3:07 pm

The Bible tells us that hell is real and it is a place of agony.  Remember the rich man who was is so much pain just one drop of water on his tongue would have satisfied him.  Those in heaven do worship Christ for eternity, but keep in mind those in heaven are those who have surrendered their lives to Christ already.  Those in heaven no longer have the worldly nature that they did on Earth, they want to worship Christ.

I believe in God not because I have and evidence of his/her/it's existence, but because I choose to believe. God helps me through life and I owe much of my success in life to the teaching's of Christ. I could not have made it without God by my side each step of the way. I find very interesting bits and pieces about life, and how I should my life, through reading the Bible. It's a great source if you are having difficulty making decisions in your life, or just if life gets you down. The Bible shouldn't be viewed as a religious book, but a guide to life and living. Even if you don't believe in Christianity, the Bible if still a great book to read if you need some sort of guidance or advise that can't be consulted through friends or family.

This is nice, but I am confused as to how anyone can say they believe in God but not believe Word he has given us is holy, as he says.  Or how anyone can say that God is sovereign, but He and/or His Word can be hindered by man.  It doesn't make sense!

Written By: philbo on 05/27/05 at 4:57 pm

This is nice, but I am confused as to how anyone can say they believe in God but not believe Word he has given us is holy, as he says. Or how anyone can say that God is sovereign, but He and/or His Word can be hindered by man. It doesn't make sense!

It makes perfect sense to me: if you believe in God, it doesn't mean that you have to believe that what men have written about him is his word.  If anything in the equation doesn't make sense, it'd have to be the Bible, Koran, etc. and the insistence that there is anything remotely divine about any of it.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/27/05 at 6:35 pm

It makes perfect sense to me: if you believe in God, it doesn't mean that you have to believe that what men have written about him is his word.  If anything in the equation doesn't make sense, it'd have to be the Bible, Koran, etc. and the insistence that there is anything remotely divine about any of it.

Eloquently put.

Let me demonstrate.

'And God said to Andrew, go forth and steal all the Pumpkin Pie in the world, and ye shalt share it with me'

Anybody can write anything about God.

Written By: Apricot on 05/27/05 at 7:27 pm

Street Walker, nicely put. Enough said.

This is nice, but I am confused as to how anyone can say they believe in God but not believe Word he has given us is holy, as he says.

Uh.. well, he's given us many words, apparently. The Bible, The Koran, etc. Now, which one is his word? Or are they ALL his word? Wait, no, they contradict each other at parts.. oh wait, the books contradict THEMSELVES from time to time. Hm...

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/29/05 at 6:05 pm

Way up on this thread I said no.  I still don't, if you mean "God" in the traditional sense.  I do belive that "there are more things under heavan and earth that are drempt of in your simple philosophy."  I do belive in the power of nature, and I have invoked it through what you might call prayer.  I guess I'm becoming a Wiccan.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/29/05 at 8:56 pm

if you believe in God, it doesn't mean that you have to believe that what men have written about him is his word. 

If you believe in a God who is Sovereign and All-Powerful, then you would believe that He gave us this word through the men.  HE wrote the book, and cannot be stopped by man's error.  After all, HE is the one who created man, and has control over everything. 
Now about  "which book to follow?"  I think of something my "Muslim" friend (I put that in parentheses becuz he wasn't really raised on it but thats kinda his default religion i guess u could say) about how he understood it: "First there was the Old Testamt, then the New Testament replaced that, then the Koran replaced that."  Well, that doesn't really make sense.  The New Testament did not REPLACE the Old Testament, but rather, COMPLETED it.  Neither book is "complete" without the other.  The Koran, however....goes completely against what Christian Bible says.  As does the Book of Mormon.

Written By: Apricot on 05/29/05 at 9:08 pm

The New Testament did not REPLACE the Old Testament, but rather, COMPLETED it.  Neither book is "complete" without the other.  The Koran, however....goes completely against what Christian Bible says.  As does the Book of Mormon.

Actually, I gotta disagree with you. See, every Christian I know says about the Old Testament, "It was written for a different time". This would imply that the New Testament is soon to be outdated and rejected, replaced, etc...

Now, the second part.. The Koran and Book or Mormon.. so, which ones is God's word? As they say, he dictated the Bible... from what I've read, The book of Mormon was dictated by Holy forces.. not sure, but I think the Koran too.

Written By: philbo on 05/30/05 at 4:12 am

If you believe in a God who is Sovereign and All-Powerful, then you would believe that He gave us this word through the men. HE wrote the book, and cannot be stopped by man's error. After all, HE is the one who created man, and has control over everything.

In that case, you'd think He'd have written something a bit more definitive and less self-contradictory: and why did it take a bunch of men a few hundred years later to decide what is actually contained in the book?  The argument that the bible is the Word of God and men have been merely its instruments is spurious: was the bible perfect before the conclave that decided which books were in it, or was it previously flawed and only now perfect?

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/30/05 at 7:17 am

Now, the second part.. The Koran and Book or Mormon.. so, which ones is God's word? As they say, he dictated the Bible... from what I've read, The book of Mormon was dictated by Holy forces.. not sure, but I think the Koran too.

Yup.. Allah spoke to Mohammed.. at least if what i remember from R.E class is right.

Written By: philbo on 05/30/05 at 9:43 am

Strange, isn't it: I wonder what proportion of people who've written books claimed to be directly passed on to them from God ended up founding religions, and what proportion ended up being thrown into the looney bin (burnt as heretics, etc.); and what was actually different...

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/30/05 at 10:01 am

Actually, I gotta disagree with you. See, every Christian I know says about the Old Testament, "It was written for a different time". This would imply that the New Testament is soon to be outdated and rejected, replaced, etc...

....You must not know very many Christians then...

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/30/05 at 2:56 pm

Heck, there are parts of the "Christian Bible" that go completely against what other parts of the "Christian Bible" say.  If "HE wrote the book, and cannot be stopped by man's error" then how do you explain the contradictions?  I think this is where so many "pagans" have trouble with "Christianity"....you have one "Christian" say that it was "written by God", another who says "It's God's word, but written by man, who is not infallible" then yet another saying "It's man's interpretation of God's word."  Who's right?  Who's wrong?  And why are they right/wrong?  There are no answers to any of these questions....::)

For me, all these books, old testament, new testament, koran, were written by PEOPLE, not by God.  These people claim that God talked to them, inspired them, and what not.  My thought is that maybe they all smoked too much weed.  Problem is, their helusinations are still causing murder, wars, and genocide.  Revealed religion, in my opinion, 3ucks, and I think the Goddess and the God are royally 9issed.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/30/05 at 4:13 pm

Heck, there are parts of the "Christian Bible" that go completely against what other parts of the "Christian Bible" say.  If "HE wrote the book, and cannot be stopped by man's error" then how do you explain the contradictions?  I think this is where so many "pagans" have trouble with "Christianity"....you have one "Christian" say that it was "written by God", another who says "It's God's word, but written by man, who is not infallible" then yet another saying "It's man's interpretation of God's word."  Who's right?  Who's wrong?  And why are they right/wrong?  There are no answers to any of these questions....::)

I've probably asked this before earlier in the thread, but just WHAT PASSAGES, from Old and/or New Testament contradict each other?

Written By: philbo on 05/30/05 at 4:57 pm

I've probably asked this before earlier in the thread, but just WHAT PASSAGES, from Old and/or New Testament contradict each other?

Have a look here: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html

...as a starter (it was the first link that came up when I googled "bible contradictions"), and has a few dozen.  This is by no means an exhaustive list, though.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/30/05 at 9:15 pm

For start:

God good to all, or just a few?
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

The reference in Jeremiah came from a parable that God gave to Jeremiah about the judgement he would bring on the people of Judah.

Goodness people read the entire passage.  Do some real research

Written By: whitewolf on 05/30/05 at 9:26 pm

I do beleive in God and Jesus Christ.
I have always known that the bible contradicts itself, but
some are more clear  after following the link up above link.

Who is the father of Joseph?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

that one is obvious, he may have had two fathers (God and Joseph?) but who is this other guy?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/30/05 at 10:04 pm

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Matthew traces Jesus's genealogy through Joseph (although he was not the biological father) to show that he was LEGALLY heir to the throne of David. 
Luke traces his genealogy through the males in Mary's line to show that Jesus had a BIOLOGICAL right to the Messiahship.

"son of Heli":  "son" could be used in a general term then.  Like "brother" could mean "relative" or "family member."  Son could mean "son" or "son-in-law"  etc.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/30/05 at 10:12 pm

that one is obvious, he may have had two fathers (God and Joseph?) but who is this other guy?

I believe Heli is the father of Mary.  Luke has the lineage of Mary while Matthew has the lineage of Joseph.  I am not sure why Heli is said to be the father of Joseph in Luke...I will have to look into that further.

eta
Queenamenra said it better than I did.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/31/05 at 6:23 am

Matthew traces Jesus's genealogy through Joseph (although he was not the biological father) to show that he was LEGALLY heir to the throne of David. 
Luke traces his genealogy through the males in Mary's line to show that Jesus had a BIOLOGICAL right to the Messiahship.

"son of Heli":  "son" could be used in a general term then.  Like "brother" could mean "relative" or "family member."  Son could mean "son" or "son-in-law"  etc.

This is just my ignorance showing here.. but how could he have a Biological right to being the Messiah?

Written By: jiminy on 05/31/05 at 6:47 am

Maybe religion is just the natural selection process at work, humans are at the top of the food chain without any natural enemies so religion keeps the population in check  :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/31/05 at 6:49 am

Maybe religion is just the natural selection process at work, humans are at the top of the food chain without any natural enemies so religion keeps the population in check  :D

That's the best idea i have heard in a long time.

No natural predators so we created one.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/31/05 at 7:11 am

This is just my ignorance showing here.. but how could he have a Biological right to being the Messiah?

The Messiah had to come from the line of David.  Mary had to be a descendant of David in order for Jesus to be the Messiah since Joseph technically wasn't his father.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/31/05 at 11:59 am

Yup.  And my mom just told me the four different aspects of Jesus from the Gospels:

Matthew:  Jesus as King
Mark: Jesus as servant
Luke: Jesus as man
John: Jesus as God

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/31/05 at 12:22 pm

Jesus H Christ, what about all the books that were excluded from the new testament by the early church fathers?  How did they determine which "bibles" were divinely inspired and which weren't?  After all, they were only men, and any number of then (the Popes) were none to diligent when it came to following the rules they, themselves imposed, like clerical celibesy.

Strange, isn't it: I wonder what proportion of people who've written books claimed to be directly passed on to them from God ended up founding religions, and what proportion ended up being thrown into the looney bin (burnt as heretics, etc.); and what was actually different...

-THE FOLLOWING IS FICTION-

After tooking several pipe fulls of "Mexican Mushroons" I had a strange dream in which a huminoid of undetermined gender appeared to me.  This being was radiantly beutiful, to the point of being painful to look upon.  A host of what I can only describe as "angles" surrounded it. "The secret of eternal bliss, and salvation" it said, "is to cultivate every passion, every desire of the flesh, every sensuous, sensual, erotic urge.  Also every compassionate, kind, loving urge.  Also every savage, or violent urge.  All of these I have given unto you.  All of these lead to salvation."

So, I think I'll start a religion  "The Church of Carlos".  And all ya gotta do to join is sing a few bars of "Alice's Resaturaunt"  the next time it comes up on the guitar...

-This is not fiction-

In "The Fire Sermon" Buddha urged us to extinguish these very passions, desires, lusts -  the fires the burn and consume us.  The Hindu scriptures (the Vedas) teach us much the same thing.  Neither tradition claims divine inspiration, but both advocate living in peace with both man and nature.

Written By: philbo on 05/31/05 at 5:01 pm

For start:

God good to all, or just a few?
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

The reference in Jeremiah came from a parable that God gave to Jeremiah about the judgement he would bring on the people of Judah.

Goodness people read the entire passage. Do some real research

Parable or no, the two passages are still completely contradictory: a parable (in your own words) about the judgement he would bring on the people of Judah.  On the one hand a merciful god; on the other a vengeful one.   I find it mindboggling how people who show so many signs of having real intelligence seem to lose all critical faculties as soon as the bible is being questioned.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/02/05 at 3:31 pm

Might I suggest that those of you who want to debate the Christian bible start your ouw thread?

Written By: Apricot on 06/02/05 at 4:58 pm

After tooking several pipe fulls of "Mexican Mushroons" I had a strange dream in which a huminoid of undetermined gender appeared to me.  This being was radiantly beutiful, to the point of being painful to look upon.  A host of what I can only describe as "angles" surrounded it. "The secret of eternal bliss, and salvation" it said, "is to cultivate every passion, every desire of the flesh, every sensuous, sensual, erotic urge.   Also every compassionate, kind, loving urge.  Also every savage, or violent urge.  All of these I have given unto you.  All of these lead to salvation."

So, I think I'll start a religion  "The Church of Carlos".  And all ya gotta do to join is sing a few bars of "Alice's Resaturaunt"  the next time it comes up on the guitar...

-This is not fiction-

In "The Fire Sermon" Buddha urged us to extinguish these very passions, desires, lusts -  the fires the burn and consume us.  The Hindu scriptures (the Vedas) teach us much the same thing.  Neither tradition claims divine inspiration, but both advocate living in peace with both man and nature.

Hey, I'd like to join this Church of Carlos! Where do I sign up?  :D

I like that teaching there, the Fire Sermon. And the Vedas, that part anyway. Not claiming divine inspiration, but with a good message. That's a good concept.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/05 at 4:49 pm

Hey, I'd like to join this Church of Carlos! Where do I sign up?  :D

I like that teaching there, the Fire Sermon. And the Vedas, that part anyway. Not claiming divine inspiration, but with a good message. That's a good concept.

Well, the first tenant of the Church of Carlos is to worship and revel in the power and beuty of the natural world.  Study it.  Find out how its powers can be used for healing - all kinds of healing.  Learn the powers of herbs.  If you wish to bew spiritual -not a requirement - devise your own ways to enhance their powers.  Do what you will - harm none.  If you can subscribe to that creed, you are welcome into my "religion" and well met.  I can';t say that either Cat or I have forsaken the ways of the flesh to the extent that the Buddha would accept - we wouldn't be here if we did - but we are content to live within our means.  Cat recently asked me what I wanted for my birthday.  My response was "you". Still a need, a desire, but  at least a mutual one. 

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/05 at 5:51 pm

Sounds like a plan. I like that idea... Do what you will, harm none. I've been basically living that way for years.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/04/05 at 10:46 pm

Might I suggest that those of you who want to debate the Christian bible start your ouw thread?

Why are you always so b*tchy?!!!!  Dude the topic is "Do You Believe in God"  which can and has lead to other discussions.  Nobody complains until all the way to page 37. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/05/05 at 6:07 pm

Why are you always so b*tchy?!!!!  Dude the topic is "Do You Believe in God"  which can and has lead to other discussions.  Nobody complains until all the way to page 37. 

I resent being cakled b*tchy, and I resent that you denegrate, with that accusation, my expression of belief in a greater power.  I have no problem with your strict adherance to what you believe to be the message of the Bible.  In fact, I respect that belief.  I do object to your and others' unwillingness to address MY spirituality, which I find dismissive to the point of being insulting.  Debate your New Testament vrs Old Testament until, as we say in Vermont, until the cows come home, but I suggest to you that to ignore another paradgime is both insulting and ignoratnt.  Your chosen way to the unknowable is just one of many that good people follow,  and according to my lights, not the best.

So maybe it is you who are being b*ichy.

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 7:16 pm

I resent being cakled b*tchy, and I resent that you denegrate, with that accusation, my expression of belief in a greater power.  I have no problem with your strict adherance to what you believe to be the message of the Bible.  In fact, I respect that belief.  I do object to your and others' unwillingness to address MY spirituality, which I find dismissive to the point of being insulting.  Debate your New Testament vrs Old Testament until, as we say in Vermont, until the cows come home, but I suggest to you that to ignore another paradgime is both insulting and ignoratnt.  Your chosen way to the unknowable is just one of many that good people follow,  and according to my lights, not the best.

So maybe it is you who are being b*ichy.

http://70.84.190.115/3271/30/emo/Malown.JPG

Nice retaliation.. Legit argument, good retort all around. I applaud you.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/06/05 at 3:05 pm

Nice retaliation.. Legit argument, good retort all around. I applaud you.

Thanks.  I just get very tired of "holier than thou" Christians thumping the (edited) new testiment.  Especially when they are ignorant of the "books" that were excluded, and are refering to the King James version in ignorance of any other.  And even more so when they denigrate the beliefs of others, as if... oh F... it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/08/05 at 7:28 pm

I was angry at God when my son was murdered but I never have stopped believing in him. While some people can help to spread the word of God, moreso some people hurt God by pushing what they believe on others though....ie: Mormons ::)
I am a Christian (accepted Christ as my Savior in 1980)..but I don't use WORDS to force my beliefs on others...I believe that my ACTIONS speak louder than any words or tracts. Common courtesy and kindness to others...not 'judging a book by it's cover'...kindness to ALL living things(except bugs!)..that's what I strive for daily.

NEXT PAGE: Do You believe in God?

Check for new replies or respond here...